╌>

Conversion therapy crusader has something to say: He's gay

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  5 years ago  •  44 comments

Conversion therapy crusader has something to say: He's gay
“Conversion therapy is not just a lie, but it’s very harmful,” said McKrae Game, a South Carolinian who founded one of the nation's biggest ex-gay ministries.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

SPARTANBURG, S.C. - A South Carolina man who founded one of the nation's biggest conversion therapy ministries has something to say: he's gay.

The Post and Courier   reports   Hope for Wholeness founder McKrae Game came out of the closet this summer, nearly two years after he was fired from the faith-based conversion therapy program. He's now trying to come to terms with the harm he inflicted when he was advocating for religious efforts to change a person's sexuality.

“Conversion therapy is not just a lie, but it’s very harmful,” Game told The Post and Courier. “Because it’s false advertising.”

The 51-year-old also is trying to find his place in a community he's assailed for at least 20 years. Game is one of several former movement leaders who have left the pulpits of heterosexuality, come out as LGBTQ and condemned conversion therapy as a dangerous and misleading practice.

Currently, 18 states and Washington, D.C., ban the practice of conversion therapy for minors, according to Movement Advancement Project, an LGBTQ think tank. South Carolina, however, is not one of these states.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    5 years ago

This does not surprise me in the slightest.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago

I'm straight but am still keeping the watch.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago

Me neither. And yet, there are those that will defend conversion therapy, despite all the evidence which discredits it. Somehow, I doubt this revelation will change that.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago

the only successful conversion in history was completed by mary magdelane and she was painted out of the last supper for it.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.5  SteevieGee  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago

Looks to me like his all powerful god has failed him.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.5.1  Gordy327  replied to  SteevieGee @1.5    5 years ago

That's why whenever someone claims god/Jesus converted someone, you know they're FOS!

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    5 years ago

It does not surprise me in the slightest either. For the reasons that I am homosexual and Christian.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3  Jack_TX    5 years ago

I think I'm about to have a heart attack and die from not surprise.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @3    5 years ago

Relax and stay calm.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago

I'm glad for him that he was able to have his mind open enough to realize the truth of what was going on with him. He is as much a victim as anyone else who goes through this therapy. He obviously got involved in this because he had people around him telling him there was something wrong with him that he needed to fix, that he should just get over it and go through the motions. 

This seed links to a story with this video of him talking about his experience. It's only 4 or 5 minutes and worth watching.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago

I have only one tell-tell issue with men or women who do this kind of thing: They go into not ministry too fast, but leadership too fast before they understand and completely grasp the nature of the work. Any time you are acting to affect people's minds one should be SURE of what one is setting out to do.

Now then, I have great experience in this 'realm,' though and I want to be clear: I have never been a member of any ex-gay ministry set up of any kind. My experience is in living a spiritually and physcially celibate life for 25 years and one not part of any ministry whatsoever. Though I am loosely associated with many Christian ministries, I am not a member of any since the early 90's.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  CB @4.1    5 years ago
Any time you are acting to affect people's minds one should be SURE of what one is setting out to do.

Totally agree. My personal feeling is, the Creator does not make mistakes. It is humans that make mistakes. And to me, denying who they truly are is one of the biggest. And those who encourage this denial by playing around with someone's mind is a far great abomination and crime than what they accuse being Gay is.

No matter what the circumstances, being true to oneself is the first step to real happiness. Otherwise, life is just existing.    

JMOO

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

Just when you thought you had seen and heard it all.......

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  CB  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5    5 years ago

In what way, FlyNavy1?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  CB @5.1    5 years ago

I guess I shouldn't be surprised should I...

My wife and I have a gay couple over regularly for dinner, and we've discussed the details of when each of them understood that they were gay.  One was early in life, the other took until he was 20 or so.  So with the latter, it took some time to figure things out.  Bottom line for us it that they are both quality people we enjoy sharing a meal, drinks and conversation with.  Our German neighbors have all but adopted these guys as well.

I guess what gets me is to have put so much energy into "conversion therapy" only to realize he was fighting biology.  I guess it was his own therapy session that cleared things up for him in his life.  That in itself is a very good thing.  I just hope he didn't cause problems for those he was trying to convert..... 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1.2  katrix  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.1    5 years ago
I just hope he didn't cause problems for those he was trying to convert

Oh, he definitely did. "Conversion therapy" is abuse and people who try to do it should be arrested, IMO.

Funny how so many of those who are the most bigoted against gays are actually gay themselves.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  katrix @5.1.2    5 years ago

Funny how so many of those who are the most bigoted against gays are actually gay themselves.

It may be a generalization, but it sure does seem that way....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  katrix @5.1.2    5 years ago

It's usually their way to try and cover up their own "crime" of being Gay. At least in their mind. So they get their personal pleasures by clandestinely meeting up in Men's restrooms, back alleys, places they know are "safe spaces", etc, etc., and hope they are never discovered. They are also usually in high profile positions, in entertainment, or some prominent Christian position, and don't want their good reputations 'tainted' or ruined as being a "sinner".

The real sinner are those who deny being the human being they truly are, while casting stones are those who have accepted it and live their life without shame.

It seems that is the crux, many of those that condemn Gays do not have the courage to accept who they truly are, and vent their own lack of courage of accepting that fact by denigrating those who do.

JMOO

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.4    5 years ago
It seems that is the crux, many of those that condemn Gays do not have the courage to accept who they truly are, and vent their own lack of courage of accepting that fact by denigrating those who do.

in a nut shell

Those who are most offended by the gay and lesbian lifestyle are usually the unhappiest homosexuals & lesbians, as their negative self interpretation usually drives their condemnation, as it's their own frustration, that inevitably drives their chosen causation.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.4    5 years ago
So they get their personal pleasures by clandestinely meeting up in Men's restrooms, back alleys, places they know are "safe spaces", etc, etc., and hope they are never discovered.

One would think that meeting in these clandestine places would be the least safe. Goddess knows what could happen to you. (that sounds judgy doesn't it?)

I don't think God wants us to lie to ourselves. As you've said, She doesn't make mistakes. If She could be offended, I think that right there would do the trick...not admitting to one's self that one is gay

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.5    5 years ago
as it's their own frustration, that inevitably drives their chosen causation.

Totally agree, Iggy. If we cannot be true to ourselves, we cannot really be true to others. And if we cannot truly love ourselves, then we cannot fully love others. 

Only when we can truly accept who we really are, will others fully accept us.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.6    5 years ago
not admitting to one's self that one is gay

To me, human beings are like vast, differing wildflowers that grow in wide, open fields around the world. There are many different species of flowers, many different colors, and many variations of those species. 

They don't fight among each other. They do not refuse to grow next to each other because they are different, and the share the same soil, water, air and stand against the same woes that Mother nature and Mother Earth send their way. In this, the fields are sure to continue to exist and flourish, and make the world a beautiful place. 

It is the weeds that do their best try to destroy the beauty and peace they provide. 

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.9  CB  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.1    5 years ago
I guess it was his own therapy session that cleared things up for him in his life.  That in itself is a very good thing.  I just hope he didn't cause problems for those he was trying to convert.

"His own therapy session." Occurred across a span of many years. In other words, several things need to happen depending on whether one is blessed with spiritual leading or attempting to do this in the flesh:

Spiritual leaning:

1. One is led by the Spirit to walk in agreement with a spiritual lifestyle (this happens to many people successfully - of all sexual persuasions).
  2. As one walks, he/she grows and comes to understand that this lifestyle is a marathon and not a sprint. That there will be something of "highs" and "lows.
  3. To thine own self be true. Admit what you are feeling—to yourself!
  4. Whatever your sexual persuasion it remains "in" you: A heterosexual will be the same, a homosexual the same, et ceteras, throughout life. Spirituality can mute sexuality- it does not transplant sexuality. After 25 years of celibacy (and some interesting moments when I did not consider anybody in a sexual manner) I can safely say that, on reflection, I still consider the male form the most stimulating of the two sexes. Everything about male 'presentation' speaks to me - whether I am inclined to act or not! (I am not, but still it is so.)

In the flesh:

1. Forced change - that is, wanting change without any other rationale than I don't want to be X. (Homosexual.)
  2. It is extremely hard to fight attraction, lust, and affection without substantive 'help' as a stand-in.

This video is from deeper in the linked article. Listen to these men's stories- they speak volumes. (I highly recommend this short video to those who want insight to what homosexuals can go through):

Lastly a spiritual walk has to be arrived at voluntary - it can not be a forced 'journey.'

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.10  CB  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.8    5 years ago

What a stellar view of life! Just Stellar! Emphatically.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.11  CB  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.4    5 years ago

This comment seems a good 'landing' for this 2018 profile of Scotty Bowers and Hollywood:

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.12  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.6    5 years ago

'Being homosexual' was to live out one's life in a sub-culture in America. We made our own rules.

The majority didn't wanted us - except our inner circle friends and some family members. Honestly, I never had it as bad as it could be; 'lucky,' I guess. Oh, I got socked around a few times for good measure-maybe I deserved it on those occasions depending on what I was in to at the time. But for the majority of homosexuals before now - we were not 'romanced.' Even now, people are still afraid to do so, depending on their age.

And before somebody tries to correct me, not all homosexuals are into the same type of guy!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.13  Raven Wing  replied to  CB @5.1.11    5 years ago
This comment seems a good 'landing' for this 2018 profile of Scotty Bowers and Hollywood:

Good video, CB. Thank you for sharing it. 

Being Gay is not a choice.....hate is.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.14  CB  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.13    5 years ago

So true.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.15  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1.13    5 years ago

Being Gay is not a choice.....hate is.

Nailed that one RW!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @5.1.12    5 years ago
not all homosexuals are into the same type of guy!

Tell me about it! A young friend of mine is a huge trmp supporter....and he's gay!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6  Raven Wing    5 years ago

I am not at all surprised either. I wish him well in his effort to be accepted by the community that he as denigrated, demeaned and condemned for so many years. 

Now that he has finally found the courage to free himself of the burden he has carried for all those years, I hope he will finally find peace and acceptance as the human being he truly is. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Raven Wing @6    5 years ago

Agreed RW.  Little steps towards the truth are always welcomed.

Hope you've been well.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1    5 years ago
Hope you've been well.

It is so good to see you back with us again, you have sorely been missed. I am doing well, and hope all is good on your end as well. (smile)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    5 years ago

When is Marcus Bachman ever going to come out?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tessylo @7    5 years ago

Or Lindsay Graham. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @7.1    5 years ago
Or Lindsay Graham. 

He already has, just not in his own spoken or written words, which are not always needed to know the truth. 

user image
Freshman Silent
7.1.2    replied to  MrFrost @7.1    5 years ago

Or Hillary Clinton

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  @7.1.2    5 years ago

Or Hillary Clinton

Huh? She is married to a male. Lindsay Graham has never been married, never had a girlfriend. Your obvious deflect is noted though.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.3    5 years ago

Senator Graham has never been married? That's a bit strange for someone of his generation who went into politics. I thought that was one of the first things they did...get a wife and a kid. Tom Cotton did.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  @7.1.2    5 years ago

Oh for fuck's sake.  But, but, but Hillary.

Get a life!

I'm surprised you didn't mention President Obama also.  All those stupid bullshit rumors about him being gay.

And one poster has a piece up now with Michelle Obama with a penis.  

I can't believe I wasted any of my time on that shitty piece.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.6  katrix  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.5    5 years ago
And one poster has a piece up now with Michelle Obama with a penis.  

I wonder why that person is allowed to be a moderator, with the type of crap they seed.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @7.1.6    5 years ago

Me too kat, me too.

Perrie even tole me that he doesn't get special privileges.  

Yeah, right.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  katrix @7.1.6    5 years ago
I wonder why that person is allowed to be a moderator, with the type of crap they seed.

Agreed.

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    5 years ago

Well, this sure died down fast. Go figure. It's a real life scandal and no one (else) is laying a finger on it! Too many hot topics out there, I guess.