Chinese 4-Panel Artworks

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 weeks ago  •  8 comments

Chinese 4-Panel Artworks

Chinese 4-Panel Artworks

Although it would take years and thousands of pages to describe the styles, dynasty periods and varieties of Chinese Art that would occur during 5000 years of history, I want to present just a specific example of an art form practised by Chinese artists.  

From Wikipedia:  

"Traditional Chinese painting involves essentially the same techniques as Chinese calligraphy and is done with a brush dipped in black or colored ink; oils are not used. As with calligraphy, the most popular materials on which paintings are made [are] paper and silk. The finished work can be mounted on scrolls, such as hanging scrolls or handscrolls. Traditional painting can also be done on album sheets, walls, lacquerware, folding [wood] screens, and other media." 

Specifically, I am presenting here a variety of mostly 4-panel artworks typical of what I have seen in China.  In fact, as a gift for my son's wedding I gave them 4 hand-painted panels on silk scrolls to be hung on a wall.  As you can see, themes are varied.  Many indicate the four seasons and sometimes show the same scene during the 4 seasons, but usually show similar scenes during the 4 seasons. 

1.   These are similar to the vintage scrolls I gave to my son as a wedding gift.

2.   They often depict the four seasons.

3.    The standing panels often used as room dividers are called Coromandel Screens.

4.   Beautiful women are often depicted in the paintings.  I have always thought that Chinese women were the most beautiful women in the world - now I'm lucky to have married one.

5.   Here in a more modern set of paintings the four seasons are shown with beautiful women.

6.   Oval shapes are relatively unusual.  These depict warrior women.

7.   Carved in wood, then painted.  Note the Jade inserts in the 3rd panel.

8.   Depicting the four seasons in similar scenes

9.   A single panel indicating the four seasons.  Unusual, and IMO very Escheresque.

10.   A standing Coromandel screen I wish I owned.

11.   Wooden plaques

12.   An example of the four seasons showing identical images.

13.   Birds are another common subject. I have a silk embroidery picture of a tropical bird that I bought in Luoyang.

14.    A vintage set that would be very desirable as a collector's item.

15.   Besides displayed as scrolls, they can also be framed as well.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Buzz of the Orient
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

This article is a reproduction of one I posted some years ago on the Discovery group.  It was part of a series I had posted on Chinese culture.  If you are interested in "discovering" fascinating articles from around the world, and you are not already a member of the Discovery group, you can apply for membership by clicking this link:

https://thenewstalkers.com/buzz-of-the-orient/group/8/discovery-group

Kavika
2  Kavika     2 weeks ago

What beautiful art, Buzz. 

I have a small (table top size) four-panel depicting the four seasons. 

Raven Wing
3  Raven Wing    2 weeks ago

My Mother was very much into Oriental artwork, mostly Chinese. She had their bedroom decorated in Chinese motif, and had some beautiful paintings, much like the ones at the top of the list above, hanging on the wall above their red and black lacquer dresser. 

I guess that is where I get my deep interest in most anything Oriental from. I find their artwork fascinating, so delicate and serene. I myself had a silk painting that I hung in my front room for many years. I found it very relaxing, and soothing to the soul. It radiates the results of the slow, calm process of the artwork, thus, it has the same kind of effect on you when looking at it. 

I dabbled in Chinese artwork for a bit, but, I can't in any way do it justice, so I leave it up to those who can and enjoy their work. 

dave-2693993
4  dave-2693993    one week ago
4.   Beautiful women are often depicted in the paintings.  I have always thought that Chinese women were the most beautiful women in the world - now I'm lucky to have married one.

You have the most valuable work of art Buzz.

I hope this is not interpreted wrongly, considering the many posts of art you have given us, but of what I have seen, these are my favourite.

Buzz of the Orient
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    one week ago

These are genuine works of art that took a certain kind of skill to produce.  I just take photos.

TTGA
4.1.1  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    one week ago
These are genuine works of art that took a certain kind of skill to produce.  I just take photos.

Art is more involved with selection of the work and composition than it is skill with a paint brush Buzz.  Certainly, an artist must be able to use his tools properly, but those tools can also include a camera.  You most certainly do produce genuine works of art, your landscapes and city scapes show that very clearly and the composition of your shots of both people and animals is masterly.  You invoke an emotional response in your viewers in your work and are able to show your viewers the way you see the world around you.  That's what an artist does.

Buzz of the Orient
4.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @4.1.1    one week ago

You are being too kind, but thanks anyway.

Al-316
5  Al-316    23 hours ago

Ordinary subjects, exquisitely portrayed.

Nice work, Buzz.