╌>

Do Facts Matter To Trump Supporters?

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  154 comments

On Sunday morning Sep 1st, Trump was not right, he was wrong.  For the previous two days forecast clearly showed the hurricane turning to the north. 

These are the official National Hurricane Center projections from Friday Aug 30, and then Saturday Aug 31

Here is Trumps tweet after seeing  these maps, on Sunday, Sept 1. 

kUuht00m_bigger.jpg

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

Sep 1

In addition to Florida - South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama, will most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated. Looking like one of the largest hurricanes ever. Already category 5. BE CAREFUL! GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

=================================================================

By the time Trump tweeted on Sunday morning, the official projection had significantly shifted away from the path that Trump was speaking of. 

donald-trump-accused-of-drawing-on-hurri

Obviously, for whatever reason, when Trump tweeted on Sunday, his mind had not processed the updates and change of course projections from the National Hurricane Center. We can know this is true because he continues to defend his belief about the path. 

On Sunday morning Sep 1st, Trump was not right, he was wrong.  For the previous two days forecast clearly showed the hurricane turning to the north. 

So on Sunday morning Trump posted something that was seemingly ignorant of the changes. 

Later, instead of saying he was speaking in general terms in his tweet about maybe some bad weather reaching Alabama, Trump brings out a doctored map which reinforced, ta da, his ignorant tweet. 

In the pic above Trump is showing and defending a map that was OUTDATED when he tweeted on Sep.1. 

Either he doesnt understand that, or he wants to bamboozle. Or both. Probably both. 

The issue isnt really about Trump though, he is a known moron and liar.   The real issue is about the people who accept this and try to normalize it. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Bizarro World. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

What is even more bizarre is that forecasts are not facts.  The map everyone is arguing about wasn't a fact; with or without a Sharpie.  None of the maps being shown in the article are facts, they are forecasts.  The only fact displayed on any of the maps was the location of hurricane Dorian on a specific date at a specific time.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Nerm_L @1.1    5 years ago

Trump got his degree in climatology where?  Oh that is right, he knows everything.jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.1    5 years ago
Trump got his degree in climatology where?  Oh that is right, he knows everything.

Modeled weather predictions are not facts.  Modeled climate predictions are not facts.

Predictions and forecasts are not facts.

People who don't even know what is a fact shouldn't be making accusations about facts.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Nerm_L @1.1.2    5 years ago

People who don't even know what is a fact shouldn't be making accusations about facts.

tell that to Trump

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @1.1    5 years ago
The only fact displayed on any of the maps was the location of hurricane Dorian on a specific date at a specific time. 

Au contraire, it displays the level of Trump's narcissism. 

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1.2  Don Overton  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Facts, like truth, don't matter to the right.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Hurricane Dorian updates for Friday, Aug. 30, 2019

Update 11 p.m.:  Hurricane Dorian continued to strengthen rapidly Friday night, swelling into a powerful Category 4 storm as it churned across the Atlantic toward Florida.

But the possibility that Palm Beach County may avoid a direct hit improved in the National Hurricane Center’s 11 p.m  forecast .

The center line of Dorian’s latest projected path has it grazing Brevard County as a Category 3 storm Tuesday night, then veering north off the coast of northeast Florida.

That’s a significant change from Friday morning, when the forecast’s center line pointed squarely at Palm Beach County and meteorologists predicted Dorian would strike as a Category 4 storm.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

No.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Ender @4    5 years ago
(deleted)

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1    5 years ago

The only fake news comes from the administration.

Sad that some are so blinded.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1    5 years ago

Either point out the fake news in my article, or dont say it again.    Fake news is off topic on this article. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    5 years ago

They drool over every lie out of that piece of shits' mouth

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    5 years ago
They drool over every lie out of that piece of shits' mouth

I'm glad you agree that the Anti trumpers drool

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Ender  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    5 years ago

Unbelievable. I just read an article about some woman that has attended about 50 trump events.

The die hard trumpie actually said if not for him, she wouldn't know what is going on.

Talk about clueless.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.7  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    5 years ago
Either point out the fake news in my article,

The whole article, NOAA has stated that at the time of Trumps tweet Alabama was one of the states that could be impacted by the hurricane. No matter how much you spin and sputter it doesn't change the facts.

The sad new is that Anderson "Fake News" Cooper missed out on another chance to stand in a ditch. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.6    5 years ago

So you are stuck in a time warp. Do you want a medal? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.7    5 years ago
The whole article, NOAA has stated that at the time of Trumps tweet Alabama was one of the states that could be impacted by the hurricane. No matter how much you spin and sputter it doesn't change the facts.

Yes, the NOAA has affirmed that it could have rained in Alabama on those days. 

My article is not fake news, it is actually a demonstration of how stupid and careless Trump is.   In the sharpie photograph he is shown using a map that was outdated WHEN HE MADE HIS FAMOUS TWEET on Sunday. 

It's a good thing he wasnt president in Oct of 1962 or some of you who are 56 or younger may never have been born. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.12  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.7    5 years ago
The NOAA statement on Friday makes no reference to the fact that when Trump tweeted Alabama was at risk it was not in the National Hurricane Center’s “cone of uncertainty,” which is the zone in which forecasters determine the storm is most likely to track. Alabama had also not appeared in the cone in days prior and no Hurricane Center text product ever mentioned the state.

Trump’s tweet that Alabama would be impacted by the storm gained national spotlight on Wednesday when he presented a modified version of the forecast cone on August 29, extended into Alabama — hand-drawn using a Sharpie. The crudely altered map appeared to represent an effort to retroactively justify the original Alabama tweet.

The doctored map went viral, becoming a source of ridicule among many political pundits and late-night talk show hosts, who accused the President of dishonesty.

In the face of criticism about the modified map, Trump fired off additional tweets on   Wednesday   and   Thursday , insisting Alabama was at risk all along, including presenting a map from August 29 depicting a small possibility that Alabama would see tropical storm force winds.

The map indicated only a five to 20 percent chance of such conditions in parts of Alabama beginning on Monday. However, by the time of President Trump’s tweet on Sept. 1, those odds were down to a 5 percent chance of tropical storm conditions in a sliver of extreme southeastern Alabama.

Ten days ago, computer model predictions did present a scenario in which Dorian would strike Florida, enter the Gulf of Mexico and potentially impact Alabama. However, by Friday, Aug. 29, when the president was briefed by acting NOAA administrator Neil Jacobs, that scenario had become highly unlikely. By Sunday morning, when Trump tweeted about the Alabama threat, no credible computer model showed any risk to the state.

The Weather Service’s mission is to protect life and property. By releasing the statement admonishing the agency for an accurate forecast, NOAA may be seen as putting politics before facts. This could undermine forecasters’ ability to carry out their mission to the point where people may come to see its weather forecasts as political and untrustworthy.

Many meteorologists, recognizing Alabama was at no risk, expressed their ire on Twitter, stating Trump should have instead focused on communicating Dorian’s hazards to the Southeast coast, and dispensed with his preoccupation with Alabama.

James Franklin, the former chief of a prediction unit at the National Hurricane Center, expressed support for the Birmingham Weather Service office which NOAA admonished.

“I thought Birmingham’s statement Sunday morning that Alabama would see no impacts from Dorian was spot-on and an appropriate response to the President’s misleading tweet that morning,” he wrote in an email. “[The Hurricane Center’s] wind-speed-probability product serves as guidance to forecasters, and it showed only a very small likelihood of tropical-storm-force winds in the state, and essentially zero chance of hurricane-force winds.”

He stated: “I am very surprised that NOAA’s statement today seems to not recognize the value its forecasters add every day to NWS products and services.”

Dan Sobien, president of the NWS Employees Union, stated in a   tweet Friday evening   that “The hard-working employees of the NWS had nothing to do with the utterly disgusting and disingenuous   tweet   sent out by NOAA management tonight.”

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.13  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    5 years ago
My article is not fake news,

Okay if you are unhappy with it being accurately cakes fake , I will call it what it really is. It is the biggest load of inconsequential meaningless horse manure waste if space that the world has ever seen. 

Feel better now?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.14  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.12    5 years ago

As usual JR you believe what you want to believe....Fake news.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.15  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.14    5 years ago

I asked you what is the fake news. A meme of Anderson Cooper is not the answer. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.16  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.15    5 years ago
I asked you what is the fake news.

And I told you. But you would rather worry about sharpiegate and Russia.

A meme of Anderson Cooper is not the answer.

He represents what you feed off of JR.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.17  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.16    5 years ago

Donald Trump used an outdated map for both his tweet last Sunday and his defense of that tweet a couple days later. 

You are happy with the POTUS using outdated irrelevant material in his duties? 

My article is far from fake news. 

20 minutes after he posted his dumb ass tweet, the Birminghan ALABAMA office of the national weather service corrected him. Thats another fact. 

In my opinion some Trump supporters wouldnt know a fact if it fell from the sky and conked them on the noggin. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.18  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.17    5 years ago
the Birminghan ALABAMA office of the national weather service corrected him

And then the NOAA corrected them that the projected path they told President Trump substantiated his claim.

The parent agency of the National Weather Service said late Friday that President Trump was correct when he claimed earlier this week that Hurricane Dorian had threatened the state of Alabama.
The surprise announcement in an unsigned statement by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration essentially endorsed Trump's Sunday tweet saying that Alabama will "most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated."

But....but....Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.19  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.18    5 years ago
The Weather Service’s mission is to protect life and property. By releasing the statement admonishing the agency for an accurate forecast, NOAA may be seen as putting politics before facts. This could undermine forecasters’ ability to carry out their mission to the point where people may come to see its weather forecasts as political and untrustworthy.

Many meteorologists, recognizing Alabama was at no risk, expressed their ire on Twitter, stating Trump should have instead focused on communicating Dorian’s hazards to the Southeast coast, and dispensed with his preoccupation with Alabama.

James Franklin, the former chief of a prediction unit at the National Hurricane Center, expressed support for the Birmingham Weather Service office which NOAA admonished.

“I thought Birmingham’s statement Sunday morning that Alabama would see no impacts from Dorian was spot-on and an appropriate response to the President’s misleading tweet that morning,” he wrote in an email. “[The Hurricane Center’s] wind-speed-probability product serves as guidance to forecasters, and it showed only a very small likelihood of tropical-storm-force winds in the state, and essentially zero chance of hurricane-force winds.”

He stated: “I am very surprised that NOAA’s statement today seems to not recognize the value its forecasters add every day to NWS products and services.”

Dan Sobien, president of the NWS Employees Union, stated in a   tweet Friday evening   that “The hard-working employees of the NWS had nothing to do with the utterly disgusting and disingenuous   tweet   sent out by NOAA management tonight.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.20  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.19    5 years ago

The NOAA statement supporting Trump was the sort of thing we used to see in the old Soviet Union. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.21  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.18    5 years ago

KD Michigan, I am going to go slow.   On both Aug 30 and Aug 31, BEFORE Trump made his tweet, the NOAA released projections that showed the hurricane tuning to the north and away from Alabama. 

Yet, in his tweet Trump continued to rely on the outdated projections. We KNOW this because he used one of the outdated maps to defend himself afterward, he even drew on it to try to make his point. 

What I am telling you is as definitive as we can get in this world. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.23  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.21    5 years ago
What I am telling you is as definitive as we can get in this world.

What you can't seem to explain is why anyone should care.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.24  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.7    5 years ago
The whole article, NOAA has stated that at the time of Trumps tweet Alabama was one of the states that could be impacted by the hurricane.

No they didn't. Name ONE scientist at NOAA that signed that worthless letter? One. We'll wait. In fact, who actually signed that letter? No one seems to know. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.25  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.14    5 years ago

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.26  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.7    5 years ago
The whole article, NOAA has stated that at the time of Trumps tweet Alabama was one of the states that could be impacted by the hurricane.

NOAA's Director of Communications sent out that release. Her job before NOAA was on the on the Trump Campaign and Inaugural. The actual SCIENTISTS that work at NOAA are pissed off at being throw under the bus by her, especially those in Alabama. The WH sent an email directive to NOAA staff warning them NOT to talk about it Trump's tweets and NOT to contradict Trump's statements. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.27  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dulay @4.1.26    5 years ago

Sounds about par for the course. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.28  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.26    5 years ago
The actual SCIENTISTS that work at NOAA are pissed off

Then they are self-important babies who don't know their place in the world.

The WH sent an email directive to NOAA staff warning them NOT to talk about it Trump's tweets and NOT to contradict Trump's statements.

Exactly right. It's not their job to go fact-checking the president.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.29  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.28    5 years ago
It's not their job to go fact-checking the president.

Well someone sure as hell has to. He's the biggest liar, by far, to ever hold the office. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.30  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.29    5 years ago
Well someone sure as hell has to.

Not publicly they don't. Not on fuckin Twitter, they don't. He's the Commander in Chief FFS. You don't go on Twitter talking about how wrong he is. Even if you want to see it as a civilian matter, no one with two brain cells to rub together takes to Twitter to correct their boss. If you think the boss is fucking up, you go up the chain.

Only an asshole who wants to lose his job goes to Twitter as the first step toward correcting a problem at work.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.31  KDMichigan  replied to  Dulay @4.1.26    5 years ago
NOAA's Director of Communications sent out that release.

No shit? Wow and here I thought it was someone called NOAA.

Her job before NOAA was on the on the Trump Campaign and Inaugural.

Who gives a shit? 

The actual SCIENTISTS that work at NOAA are pissed off at being throw under the bus by her,

[deleted]

The WH sent an email directive to NOAA staff warning them NOT to talk about it Trump's tweets and NOT to contradict Trump's statements.

Who cares, Impeach him FFS, He comitted a felony. I would be contacting your representatives daily calling for his impeachment. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.32  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    5 years ago

This article itself is fake news.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.33  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.30    5 years ago

Well, they wanted to act patriotically.  Opposing Trump is patriotism. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.34  author  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.32    5 years ago

I am not going to waste my time. The article is completely accurate. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.35  author  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.16    5 years ago

[Deleted] and your ridiculous concern over him "standing in a ditch" at a flood.  I showed you a video that he made that shows every part of your belief about that was silly.  He wasnt standing in low ground, the highway where the tv crew was standing was high ground. 

I gave you the video which COMPLETELY debunks your argument about Anderson Cooper and the flooding, and still six months later you are still whining about it?  

[Deleted]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.36  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.35    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.37  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.28    5 years ago

Gee Tacos!, what place would that be?

My understanding is that they are scientists that specialize in weather. Their place is to inform Americans about severe weather and drought. 

Being sycophants to Trump isn't part of their mandate. 

It's their job to disseminate FACTS and to correct FALSE statements that could effect the lives and livelihoods of Americans. If that puts Trump on the side of falsehoods, perhaps it's time for Trump to start telling the fucking truth. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.38  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.31    5 years ago
Who cares

Those of us who still have a sense of what's right, a modicum of respect for our civil servants and a smidgen left of our love of country even though it's lead by Trump. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.39  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.28    5 years ago

No, they are scientists who release information that informs people so they can make the right decisions to save their lives. They are NOT politicians tripping over their own dicks to kiss trumps orange fat ass. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.40  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.30    5 years ago
Only an asshole who wants to lose his job goes to Twitter as the first step toward correcting a problem at work.

Exhibit A: Donald Trump

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.41  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.30    5 years ago
Not publicly they don't. Not on fuckin Twitter, they don't.

WHY? Please explain why civil servants that take a 

He's the Commander in Chief FFS.

He's the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, not the scientists that work for the NOAA. 

You don't go on Twitter talking about how wrong he is. Even if you want to see it as a civilian matter, no one with two brain cells to rub together takes to Twitter to correct their boss. If you think the boss is fucking up, you go up the chain.

Utter bullshit. They have a statutory duty to tell the American people the truth. 

So you propose that the Government employee who TOLD THE TRUTH on twitter should loose their job? Wow. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.1.42  livefreeordie  replied to  Dulay @4.1.38    5 years ago

[Deleted]

we should eliminate the National Weather service as a federal agency. There is no Constitutional authority for it.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.43  KDMichigan  replied to  Dulay @4.1.38    5 years ago
Those of us who still have a sense of what's right, a modicum of respect for our civil servants

Okay I'll accept your beliefs and I understand how you feel about President Trump but do you really think Hillary fulfilled your expectations? Bernie Sanders I can respect because he is straight forward with his ideas. I don't agree with him what so ever though.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.46  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.41    5 years ago

There is a right way to do things. You either get that or you don't.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.47  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.46    5 years ago

Since when IN HELL is a Trump supporter concerned about the "right way" to do things? That's hilarious. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.48  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.47    5 years ago

A thing is either right or wrong John, no matter what the people you don't like might be doing. Like I said, you either get that or you don't. Or you do get it, but your partisan politics won't let you face it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.49  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.4    5 years ago
The only fake news comes from the administration. Sad that some are so blinded.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.50  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @4.1.42    5 years ago

'we should eliminate the National Weather service as a federal agency. There is no Constitutional authority for it.'

jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1.51  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.28    5 years ago

What bullshit. It is their job to present the facts - which they do to save lives - not to cover shit up to protect Trump's snowflake ego.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.52  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @4.1.51    5 years ago

It seems all Tacos has is trumpsplanations and kissing his ass.  

What did he call it, a visual aid for a tRump presser?  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

https://www.newser.com/story/280160/before-alabama-controversy-noaa-staff-had-been-warned.html?fbclid=IwAR3Nm8wx9bwcQbBczgOQAu5MH-WHk89d2uGvIHISyDoj6P3J4SpEaQwZoBU

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.53  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.52    5 years ago

(NEWSER)   – The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   on Friday issued a statement   backing President Trump's claim, nearly a week prior, that Alabama faced serious risk from Hurricane Dorian. NOAA's support of Trump was a head-scratcher, because the National Weather Service (a NOAA agency) had quickly refuted Trump's claim via one of its regional offices, and forecasts had Alabama out of harm's way prior to Trump's claim last Sunday that the state could be hit hard. Now the   Washington Post   has more on how, exactly, NOAA came to be so enmeshed in the controversy: An anonymous NOAA meteorologist says that hours after Trump's original statement last Sunday, and soon after the Birmingham NWS office had shot down his claims, NOAA sent out an agencywide directive that apparently warned staff not to contradict the president.

Specifically, staff was instructed to "only stick with official National Hurricane Center forecasts if questions arise from some national level social media posts which hit the news this afternoon" and to not "provide any opinion." A similar message was sent out by NOAA on Wednesday, after Trump doubled down on his Alabama claim and showed an Aug. 29 hurricane map that had apparently been modified with black Sharpie marker to include Alabama. "This is the first time I’ve felt pressure from above to not say what truly is the forecast," the meteorologist tells the   Post . "One of the things we train on is to dispel inaccurate rumors and ultimately that is what was occurring" with the incorrect Alabama information. NOAA's public backing of Trump Friday was proving controversial among scientists, the   AP   reports; former top NOAA officials from both sides of the political aisle are among those decrying the agency for risking its own credibility and perhaps even endangering lives. Meanwhile, Trump   tweeted   a bizarre cat video Saturday night in what   Slate   notes was an apparent attempt to mock CNN for its continuing coverage of "Sharpiegate." (Read more   Hurricane Dorian   stories.)

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.54  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.46    5 years ago

The 'right way to do things' does NOT include publishing a release to support a FALSE statement by Trump.

NOAA is not a political agency. It's sole purpose is to predict and monitor weather that could have an effect on our country's inhabitants. 

The one that don't 'get it' are the Trump sycophants who think that their job is to support Trump's fantasies no matter how they may effect the country. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.55  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.43    5 years ago
Okay I'll accept your beliefs and I understand how you feel about President Trump but do you really think Hillary fulfilled your expectations? Bernie Sanders I can respect because he is straight forward with his ideas. I don't agree with him what so ever though.

WTF do Clinton or Sanders have to do with this?

Seriously, save the whataboutism.

Address Trump's ACTIONS, stop attempting to use others to excuse them. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.56  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.54    5 years ago
The 'right way to do things' does NOT include publishing a release to support a FALSE statement by Trump.

We're talking about the behavior of someone with Twitter access at NWS and all you can do is sputter "B-b-but . . . Trump!"

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.57  KDMichigan  replied to  Dulay @4.1.55    5 years ago
Seriously, save the whataboutism.

It's not about whataboutism its about hypocrisy. Something that you demonstrate very well.

So save your faux indignation of President Trumps actions for someone who buys it.

Call your congressperson and let him know President Trump committed a felony and needs to be impeached now before he destroys America with a sharpie...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.58  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.13    5 years ago

The inconsequential meaningless horse manure resides in the Oval Office.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.59  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.56    5 years ago
We're talking about the behavior of someone with Twitter access at NWS and all you can do is sputter "B-b-but . . . Trump!"

Trump is the predicate for the topic of the seed. 

The person that put out the NWS twitter message TOLD THE TRUTH. You seem to have an issue with scientific facts. Why? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.60  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.57    5 years ago
It's not about whataboutism its about hypocrisy.

Nope. 'Ya I know how you feel about Trump but whatabout Clinton.' Whataboutism.  

Something that you demonstrate very well.

Personal attacks are all you've got I see. 

So save your faux indignation of President Trumps actions for someone who buys it.

It should come to no surprise to you that I could not care less what you buy. 

Call your congressperson and let him know President Trump committed a felony and needs to be impeached now before he destroys America with a sharpie...

Thank you so much for your guidance and intelligent recommendations. /s

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.61  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.59    5 years ago
You seem to have an issue with scientific facts.

If that's what you think, then your reading comprehension sucks. Maybe that's your issue. I have said over and over that I had a problem with the process, not the content of the thought. I didn't say anything about whether or not the tweeter was correct. I have said repeatedly that the way he/she went about it was inappropriate.

Phrases in my comments like "We're talking about the behavior," "There is a right way to do things," "You don't go on Twitter," and "you go up the chain" are fundamental clues to the nature of the conversation.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.62  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.61    5 years ago
 I have said over and over that I had a problem with the process, not the content of the thought. I have said repeatedly that the way he/she went about it was inappropriate.

What do you suggest they should have done, ask Trump to correct his statement? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

This is what they posted:

"Alabama will NOT see any impacts from #Dorian. We repeat, no impacts from Hurricane #Dorian will be felt across Alabama. The system will remain too far east. #alwx."

The 'Acting' Chief Scientist of NOAA  has a process with the process too. 

Here is what he said today:

A Message from Craig McLean: Hurricane Dorian and Exceptional Service
Dear Colleagues,
The fierce storm we know as Hurricane Dorian has concluded its ferocious path through the Bahamas and along the U.S. East Coast. Many of you have contributed to the excellent science that has underpinned the forecasts and current understanding of storms such as this one, which accelerated quite rapidly in intensity. The storm also presented challenges in track which improved with enhanced observations. We know that our collective work, from the scientists in the aircraft penetrating the storm, to the scientists deploying the glider picket line, to the modelers and folks working the physics of the storms, across OAR and in our CI's, and across all NOAA Lines, we are working the problem in order to give the NWS forecasters the best tools we possibly can to keep America and our neighbors safe. Thank you. 

During the course of the storm, as I am sure you are aware, there were routine and exceptional expert forecasts, the best possible, issued by the NWS Forecasters. These are remarkable colleagues of ours, who receive our products, use them well, and provide the benefit of their own experience in announcing accurate forecasts accompanied by the distinction of all credible scientists—they sign their work. As I'm sure you also know, there was a complex issue involving the President commenting on the path of the hurricane. The NWS Forecaster(s) corrected any public misunderstanding in an expert and timely way, as they should. There followed, last Friday, an unsigned press release from "NOAA" that inappropriately and incorrectly contradicted the NWS forecaster. My understanding is that this intervention to contradict the forecaster was not based on science but on external factors including reputation and appearance, or simply put, political. Our NOAA Scientific Integrity Policy and Code of Scientific Conduct make clear that all NOAA employees shall approach all scientific activities with honesty, objectively, and completely, without allegiance to individuals, organizations, or ideology. The content of this press release is very concerning as it compromises the ability of NOAA to convey life-saving information necessary to avoid substantial and specific danger to public health and safety. If the public cannot trust our information, or we debase our forecaster's warnings and products, that specific danger arises. 

You know that the value of our science is in the complexity of our understanding, our ability to convey that understanding to a wide audience of users of this information, and to establish and sustain the public trust in the truth and legitimacy of that information. Unfortunately, the press release of last Friday violated this trust and violated NOAA's policies of scientific integrity. In my role as Assistant Administrator for Research, and as I continue to administratively serve as Acting Chief Scientist, I am pursuing the potential violations of our NOAA Administrative Order on Scientific Integrity. Thankfully, we have such policies that are independently cited as among the best in the federal community, if not the best. Your NOAA and OAR management and leadership team believes in these policies and principles. I have a responsibility to pursue these truths. I will.

Thank you for your continued excellent work, and your trust. Carry on.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.63  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.62    5 years ago
What do you suggest they should have done, ask Trump to correct his statement?

That would be one thing they could have done. They also could have asked him why he was saying what he was saying. Maybe he had a good reason. You laugh at these suggestions, but I see them as basic good manners.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.64  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.63    5 years ago
That would be one thing they could have done. They also could have asked him why he was saying what he was saying. Maybe he had a good reason. You laugh at these suggestions, but I see them as basic good manners.

Basic good manners with Trump? Hilarious. 

Cite ONE TIME that Trump has admitted he was wrong, mistaken, made a mistake, misspoke? Just ONE. 

Oh and BTFW, Trump has had a week to 'clarify' why he said what he did. None of his excuses are credible. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.65  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @4.1.64    5 years ago
Basic good manners with Trump? Hilarious.

Again, we aren't talking about Trump's behavior. We're talking about the manners of whoever tweeted to correct him. Someone who actually values good manners doesn't depend on the behavior of others to control how they themselves behave. To believe otherwise would be to justify all manner of abhorrent behavior - police brutality, for example.

If we base our willingness to behave like civilized people on the behavior of others, then cops would be free to beat up everyone they arrest. Or internationally, we should just go ahead and carpet bomb countries like Iran or North Korea because after all, they would be happy to do the same to us or someone else. I don't know if that's the kind of world you want to live in, but it's not how I choose to live.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.66  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.65    5 years ago
Again, we aren't talking about Trump's behavior. We're talking about the manners of whoever tweeted to correct him.

We ARE talking about Trump's behavior since that is what predicated the tweet went out to correct his FALSE statement. 

Someone who actually values good manners doesn't depend on the behavior of others to control how they themselves behave. 

Someone who has a statutory mandate to disseminate FACTUAL weather warnings doesn't worry about whether it's 'good manners' to correct the FALSE statement by the Narcissist in Chief. 

To believe otherwise would be to justify all manner of abhorrent behavior - police brutality, for example. If we base our willingness to behave like civilized people on the behavior of others, then cops would be free to beat up everyone they arrest. Or internationally, we should just go ahead and carpet bomb countries like Iran or North Korea because after all, they would be happy to do the same to us or someone else. I don't know if that's the kind of world you want to live in, but it's not how I choose to live.

Argle-bargle.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.67  Don Overton  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.11    5 years ago

You kiss his picture first?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.68  Don Overton  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.18    5 years ago

Please supply the entire NOAA correction because you undoubtedly missed a lot

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.69  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.28    5 years ago

Actually it is but then knowing how the government works is not one of your abilities I would surmise 

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.70  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.30    5 years ago

Wow, what an ignorant comment

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.71  Don Overton  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.32    5 years ago

And you know this how. [deleted]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.72  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.46    5 years ago

And you  do?  That's a big laugh

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.73  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.48    5 years ago

Then you obviously don't "get it".

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

Only alternative facts matter, real facts not so much...real facts to deporables is akin to putting salt on a slug

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1  Raven Wing  replied to  lady in black @5    5 years ago
real facts to deporables is akin to putting salt on a slug

Then they eat the slug because Trump would say it tastes like chicken. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Bold call after two years of  “Russian collusion.”

just pretend the left didn’t just make up a conspiracy between trump and Putin...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    5 years ago

I think Trump's Sunday tweet is somewhat understandable since he simply doesnt care about his own personal accuracy on things. He wants to hype. It is a little surprising that he didnt include 10 or 15 states in his personal hurricane disaster warning. 

However, his using a map that was outdated WHEN he made the tweet, to defend himself later,  is inexplicable other than for the fact he is an idiot. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  arkpdx  replied to    5 years ago

It's all he's got!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  arkpdx @6.1.2    5 years ago
It's all he's got!

Trump's stupidities and lies are a bottomless well.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.4  MrFrost  replied to    5 years ago
How many more days are you going waste on this silly story.

Ask trump, he tweeted about it this morning. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  cjcold  replied to    5 years ago
this silly story

Trump committed a felony. How is that silly? Lock him up!

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.1.6  livefreeordie  replied to  cjcold @6.1.5    5 years ago

No matter how many times leftist repeat a lie, it won’t make it true

Trump has not committed any crimes.  If you leftists really believe that why hasn’t the Democrat controlled House initiated formal impeachment?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  livefreeordie @6.1.6    5 years ago
No matter how many times leftist repeat a lie, it won’t make it true

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.1.8  livefreeordie  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.7    5 years ago

[Deleted]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1.9  pat wilson  replied to  livefreeordie @6.1.6    5 years ago
If you leftists really believe that why hasn’t the Democrat controlled House initiated formal impeachment?

They should, just for the principle. But it would ultimately be a waste of effort and resources. It would never get to a Senate vote much less pass one.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.1.10  livefreeordie  replied to  pat wilson @6.1.9    5 years ago

It’s all political theater.   the Democrat leadership knows Trump hasn’t committed any impeachable offense.  

They are simply engaged in this in the hope of weakening his re-election odds.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1.11  pat wilson  replied to  livefreeordie @6.1.10    5 years ago

The Mueller report shows that he committed obstruction of justice several times. That's not only impeachable its criminal.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  arkpdx @6.1.2    5 years ago

The turd in chief was still commenting on it Saturday night.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.14  igknorantzrulz  replied to  dennis smith @6.1.12    5 years ago
And yet he is still POTUS and not being impeached. Says volumes for the BS you are swallowing up from the Dem politicians.

No, it says voluminous VOLUMES about how the GOP has been so perverted, that even knowing what they doabout this POS potUS, they would not vote in the Senateto impeach !

Right there, is the reason impeachment has yet to be moved forward by Pelosi, and it's a damn shame, thatyou, that U canot see

this, and so much more. 

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.15  Don Overton  replied to  livefreeordie @6.1.10    5 years ago

Hell the Dems don't need to do anything to weaken his re-election odds, he does that all by himself with lots of help from the GOP

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago
The real issue is about the people who accept this and try to normalize it. 

Accept what exactly? That in addition to the people in Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas he was also concerned that people in Alabama stay safe and alert?

I guess you're right. Being concerned for the safety of his fellow Americans is pretty twisted. IMPEACH! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

/s

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @7    5 years ago

Some things are hopeless. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    5 years ago

What do you find so out of bounds about all this? It's not as if he said Alaska could be impacted by the hurricane.

And it's also not as if hurricanes care about state borders or the latest forecast. This hurricane, in particular, has been difficult to forecast. There have been several news stories to that effect. The forecasts have changed almost hourly. When it stalled for so long - moving at 1 mph - that was completely unexpected. 

People in the potential paths of this storm were being warned about it a whole week or more in advance of its potential landfall. When it slowed down and started to turn, it actually increased in size - something else that wasn't predicted. An unpredictable storm makes a stop or a turn and you want to stop warning a whole state that had previously been part of the warnings? And this, while the storm grows larger. Why?

He wasn't telling anyone to evacuate or anything like that. There was literally nothing but concern and caution in what he was doing. He was erring on the side of extra caution and you - for some inexplicable reason - have a major problem with that. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.2    5 years ago

I think Trump's sentiment , in isolation, is just someone playing the big shot.  He is known to be grandiose and the bigger the hurricane the more he can seem in his own mind to be important to it. 

There is no problem with him warning people. There is more of a problem in the fact that he was using a map that was not up to date. There is no question that when he tweeted on Sunday morning the national hurricane center had changed the projected path of the storm. The Saturday evening projection had the hurricane missing Alabama totally by a margin of at least 100 miles. 

There is no reason for the president to be uninformed like that.  Then he compounds it by trotting out an outdated map on Wednesday that he had drawn on with a magic marker. 

I have no idea why you defend this stuff. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.3    5 years ago
someone playing the big shot

He is the President of the United States. That kind of makes him a "big shot" whether you like it or not. But even if you think he's prone to making things all about him, how does acknowledging Alabama as a place to be alert and safe accomplish that? 

There is more of a problem in the fact that he was using a map that was not up to date.

Why is that a problem? Furthermore, what is the likelihood that the President of the United States had anything to do with the production of a visual aid? Why would anyone as self-important as you say stoop to putting his thoughts and energy into a job some assistant to an assistant probably gave to an intern?

the national hurricane center had changed the projected path of the storm

Do you understand that a hurricane is hundreds of miles across? The hurricane center is only forecasting the path of the eye of the hurricane. The eye is maybe a couple dozen miles across. The rain, wind, and flooding it causes propagates for hundreds of miles in all directions. In fact, it doesn't even need to rain in a town for that town to see flooding downriver from a place where it did rain.

So, even though technically, this hurricane never made landfall in Florida, it would be foolish to say that it didn't do anything to Florida. 

There is no reason for the president to be uninformed like that

He's not a weather man. He's the president. Other people brief him on the storm. It's like that for any president. He can only go with what he's told. If he was told the storm could impact Alabama, he is in no position to argue the point. He just passes the information along. Thus:

NOAA Contradicts Weather Service, Backs Trump On Hurricane Threat In Alabama

The parent agency of the National Weather Service said late Friday that President Trump was correct when he claimed earlier this week that Hurricane Dorian had threatened the state of Alabama.

We could quibble about details, of course, like this:

one National Hurricane Center map showed that Alabama could see tropical-force, not hurricane-class winds.

Like it or not, that is still the effect of the hurricane. It's not hurricane force winds, but it is hurricane caused weather, and tropical-force winds can still do plenty of damage.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.4    5 years ago

The map of Aug 31st shows the outer reaches of the hurricanes path missing Alabama by at least 100 miles. 

You often seem to be the most dedicated defender of Trump on this site, even to the point of your ignoring the obvious. I guess thats your problem, I kind of give up. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.5    5 years ago
I kind of give up

Your comment is completely unresponsive to any of the points I made, so I guess I give up. You're angry over nothing.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.6    5 years ago

Actually, I have been extremely clear on this seed. 

The problem is that you think the president of the United States passing off old stale information is fine, and then ludicrously and clownishly attempting to get over on people by altering a map is fine.  This is all your problem as a constant Trump defender, no one else's. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.6    5 years ago
U.S.

John Oliver Brutally Mocks Trump Over Alabama Map Sharpie Stunt

a76e9ca0-ba9f-11e7-afbd-e700b0f36d78_daily_beast.png.cf.jpg   By marlow.stern@thedailybeast.com (Marlow Stern), The Daily Beast   8 hours ago  

e35343be7b04043bc5b1b2416106265a HBO

After a month-long break,   John Oliver   returned to   Last Week Tonight   and immediately confronted the most absurd news of the week: Sharpiegate, wherein President Donald Trump “spent seemingly the entire week desperately trying to prove he was in the right when he claimed last Sunday Alabama was one of the states most likely to be hit by Hurricane Dorian—an effort that included 10 tweets and this incredible moment.”

Yes, Trump presented a map of the storm path to the press that had clearly been altered with a black Sharpie to convey that Alabama was in its path. And, when Trump was pressed on the alteration during a presser, he not-so-convincingly responded, “I don’t know… I don’t know… I don’t know…”

“Really? You don’t know? Are you sure about that? You don’t think that   you   might have done it?!” asked Oliver. “I gotta say, for someone who lies so constantly, it’s genuinely astounding how bad he is at it. There is a non-zero chance that, if he loses every state next year, he’ll claim he’s won by standing in front of a fully blue map with the word ‘RED’ written on it and Sharpie stains on his fingers.”

As a White House aide confessed   to   The Washington Post , it was Trump who tweaked the map because “no one else writes like that on a map with a black Sharpie.”

John Oliver on His Immigration Battle Against Trump: ‘Their Actions Have Been Heinous’

Stephen Colbert Mocks Trump for Consoling ‘Imaginary’ Alabama Hurricane Victims

“Of course they don’t! Trump is notorious for using Sharpies to fix things he doesn’t like,” said Oliver, before throwing to a printed-out   Vanity Fair   article by Juli Weiner, a current writer on   Last Week Tonight,   that had been marked up like mad in a Sharpie by none other than Trump.

“This is my favorite part: circling her name and writing next to it ‘bad writer,’” offered Oliver, before joking, “And look, to be fair to him, I’ve been saying the same thing to her for six years but I don’t do it in Sharpie, I do it by ruthlessly demanding endless rewrites and being generally withholding of praise—like a professional!”

Read more at The Daily Beast.

Rolling Stone

NOAA Staff Instructed Not to Contradict the President’s Sharpie Hurricane Forecasts

db719b40-5837-11e6-9036-e7be167f9571_RS_64x64.png.cf.jpg   Peter Wade, Rolling Stone   17 hours ago  

a274e9e3daf18867e5eff51f5b19a42b Click here to read the full article.

After President   Donald Trump   falsely claimed in a tweet that   Hurricane Dorian   would hit the state of Alabama “(much) harder than anticipated,”   National Weather Service   staff were directed not to contradict his assertion. In an agencywide directive, employees were instructed to “only stick with official National Hurricane Center forecasts if questions arise from some national level social media posts which hit the news this afternoon” and encouraged not to “provide any opinion,” according to an email obtained by the   Washington Post .

An anonymous   NOAA   meteorologist told the  Post  that the directive was interpreted to be a reaction to a tweet sent by the National Weather Service’s office in Birmingham saying the president was incorrect.

“Alabama will NOT see any impacts from #Dorian,” NWS Birmingham   said in the tweet . “We repeat, no impacts from Hurricane #Dorian will be felt across Alabama. The system will remain too far east.”

The meteorologist said this directive was the first of its kind he’d ever received. “This is the first time I’ve felt pressure from above to not say what truly is the forecast,” the meteorologist said. “It’s hard for me to wrap my head around. One of the things we train on is to dispel inaccurate rumors and ultimately that is what was occurring — ultimately what the Alabama office did is provide a forecast with their tweet, that is what they get paid to do.”

Another similar message was disseminated after the president held a press conference in the Oval Office   displaying an altered map of the hurricane’s path   drawn on the official August 29 forecast with a black permanent marker.

A NWS spokesperson told the  Post  that “NWS leadership sent this guidance to field staff so they (and the entire agency) could maintain operational focus on Dorian and other severe weather hazards without distraction.”

Later that week, on Friday, NOAA issued a public statement supporting the president’s claim about Alabama and scolding the Birmingham office. “Birmingham National Weather Service’s Sunday morning tweet spoke in absolute terms that were inconsistent with probabilities from the best forecast products available at the time,” the statement said.

According to Jane Lubchenco, Obama’s NOAA administrator, the agency is acting to help the president save face rather than focusing on providing accurate information.

“This looks like classic politically motivated obfuscation to justify inaccurate statements made by the boss,” she said. “It is truly sad to see political appointees undermining the superb, lifesaving work of NOAA’s talented and dedicated career servants.”

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.9    5 years ago

No one cares what John Oliver or Rolling Stone has to say about pretty much anything.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.11  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.10    5 years ago

I''m sure you don't but many do but they don't kowtow to him all day and all night and dream about him in their dreams

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    5 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  MrFrost    5 years ago

pat wilson
Professor Participates
10  pat wilson    5 years ago

Dorian was headed for Alabahama !

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
11  Citizen Kane-473667    5 years ago

Let's all just sit down and have a beer over it...

We can invite the media to take pictures!

freepress
Freshman Silent
13  freepress    5 years ago

Facts never matter when the Republican base will vote without question for any white guy Republicans throw out there. He is male, he is white, he becomes their idol, they will adopt him as their "daddy" and will hear nothing bad about him no matter how bad the truth really is. Every single time anyone points out a fact that is true but displays their adopted "daddy" figure in a bad light, they attack the messenger. You cannot argue with them, they will never accept any reality when they crossed the line of reality just by adopting a hard line support of a Republican as a "daddy" figure. Basically every time you present a fact that happens to be a negative, they dig in make excuses for "daddy" and go on with their blind support. We all need to stop trying to reach them because they truly cannot be reached when they crossed the line into idol worship. Just leave them alone, they are not going to change, they will do what they have always done and vote for the "R" candidate and Republicans are no longer leaders, they know their base will follow blindly, so why bother to lead?