╌>

100 Years Of The NFL - Who's The Best Player You've Ever Watched?

Category:  Sports

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  44 comments

100 Years Of The NFL  - Who's The Best Player You've Ever Watched?
Payton never ran out of bounds, he would always try to stiff arm the tackler by the sideline. Today I see players run out of bounds without contact and it is kind of sickening. 

As a Bears fan, I was able to see all of Walter Payton's games on TV, and a few in person.  There is no doubt in my mind that he was the best football player of his era.  It's a little hard to compare 35 or 40 years ago with today, athletes in every sport constantly grow bigger and faster, but there was only one Walter Payton. You always knew he was giving 100% effort on every play, even when the Bears were already out of the playoff race. 

Payton only missed one game in 13 NFL seasons, and that was when the coach held him out of one the early games when he was a rookie in 1975. 

When Payton first came into the league he would sometimes do handsprings to get back to his feet after being knocked out of bounds.  Payton never ran out of bounds, he would always try to stiff arm the tackler by the sideline. Today I see players run out of bounds without contact and it is kind of sickening. 

Who is the best NFL player(s) in your opinion. 

The NFL is 100 years old this season. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

On defense I would say Lawrence Taylor or Ray Lewis.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

There was only one LT. Others may follow but none will compare.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

I think it's probably Tom Brady. I know people are tired of the Patriots, and Brady benefits from a great system, but he really is that good. He always has been.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago
Tom Brady.

I like you less now.. LOL 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  MrFrost @2.1    5 years ago

Oh, I take no pleasure in my assessment. As a Dodger fan, I was also forced to admit that Barry Bonds was the best player of his generation and one of the all-time greats.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

I love great defensive backs and would have to go with three that were all Raiders. Willie Brown, Lester Hayes, and Mike Hanes...Brown and Hanes are in the Football Hall of Fame. Lester isn't and that is a crime. His states are worthy of a bust in the hall. 

Offensive players would be Jim Brown, Marcus Allen, and Eric Dickerson all running back and all in the HOF.

I'll stop now. LOL

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
Offensive players would be Jim Brown, Marcus Allen and Eric Dickerson

I'm always tempted say to Eric. He was so big and strong, and yet quick and versatile. He was a friend of the family when he was with the Rams, so I might be biased.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @3.1    5 years ago

I watched the Lions and the Cardinals today...Larry Fitzgerald at 36 years old is still a marvel...One of the greatest receivers of all time. A world class wide receiver and later in his career switching to a slot receiver....

Had a touchdown catch today to go with 7 other catches I believe.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
have to go with three that were all Raiders. Willie Brown, Lester Hayes, and Mike Hanes

The Raiders probably had the best defensive secondary at the time. But I'll put Kenny Houston with them and I'm not even a Redskins fan.

I don't know, but Lester Hayes had a pretty strong rep for "stickum" all over him. Maybe that is a ding against him?

GregTx
PhD Guide
4  GregTx    5 years ago

Barry Sanders.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  GregTx @4    5 years ago

Yep!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.2  KDMichigan  replied to  GregTx @4    5 years ago

What Barry sanders accomplished with no offensive line makes him far better than Peyton or Smith.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  KDMichigan @4.2    5 years ago

And a bad team.   Both Smith and Payton played on good teams most of their careers.   SB champion teams.

It's not even close IMO on that alone.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.1    5 years ago
Both Smith and Payton played on good teams most of their careers.   SB champion teams.

After Ditka came in 1982 (I think it was) the Bears got good. For over half of Paytons career (his peak years) he played on teams that were mediocre at best. The Bears never had a top shelf QB until McMahon arrived in 1982, halfway through Payton's career.  Sanders was great, but I dont think he was quite Walter Payton. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.2    5 years ago

You're biased for your man, understandable.   Love me some Payton and no doubt sweetness is up there but you can't even compare the two in their era's.   The Lions have sucked for over 60 years.   Certainly ALL of Barry's years.   Not true for Walter.   The Bears were very good for much of his career.

I bet if you could ask Walter and asked Emmitt they would both agree Barry could have had ALL of the NFL rushing records had he wanted to.   He more or less left in the prime of his career.   Certainly he had several more years in him.   Lots of speculation as to the real reasons why but i think it was because he was tired of the Lions doing little to nothing to support him.    He said as much in his autobiography.

Had he played for the Cowboys or even the Bears during his time he would own ALL the rushing records.

No doubt in my mind. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.3    5 years ago

From 1989 until 1998, which is all ten years of Barry Sanders career , the Lions were 78 wins and 82 loses. Sanders retired after his 10th season. 

They were basically a 500 team during Sanders time there. 

-

From 1975 until 1983, the first nine years of Walter Payton's career, the Bears record was 61 wins and 70 losses. (The totals dont add up to an average of 16 games per season because there was an NFL players strike during the 1982 season). 

If anything the Bears were a little worse during Payton's first nine years than the Lions were during Sanders 10 years. 

It is true that during the last 4 years of Paytons career, 1984-87, the Bears were one of the best teams in pro football, with a record of 50 and 13 (and one tie). 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.4    5 years ago

Tell me something i don't know John.   You're basically saying the same thing i am as far as Walter being on a better team.

Give Barry three years on one of the best teams in the NFL, roughly equivalent to what Walter got percentage wise, and he would own ALL the rushing records.

Do you honestly have any serious doubts about that possibility?   I bet Walter wouldn't.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5  Enoch    5 years ago

Sid Luckman, Chicago Bears. "Master of the T-Formation". Under George Halas, revolutionized Pro Football by making it primarily a passing offense game. 

(Yes, I am that old).

Enoch, Recalling that in 1940 Luckman led the Bears to route the Washington Redskins 73-0 to win the title.

73-0.

Not subtle.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    5 years ago

Dick Butkus and Tom Brady

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1  dave-2693993  replied to  charger 383 @6    5 years ago

I saw Butkus play in what I think was his last season. I think '74 on a trip back home during a pre-season game.

He really couldn't run by then and had visible trouble walking. He controlled the line of scrimmage.

Which leads me to Randy White. Played at Maryland and was drafted number 2 overall. Landry wanted him to play linebacker. He played defensive tackle at Maryland and wanted nothing to do with linebacking. On top of that he held out of training camp. This put him straight in Landry's dog house.

In one game, Bob Lilly, right side defensive tackle got injured. White went straight to Landry and told him it was time for him to play.

Landry put him in, almost expecting him to fail, the rest was history. 

On offense? Since I was paying attention to the Cowboys at the time, I have to say Tony Dorsett. Heck, the guy played part of a season with a broken bone in his back and I think still  made 1,000 yards.

Though I would have to give Chuck Foreman, a Frederick, MD athlete a runner up for toughness.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Leonard Ray Dawson   (born June 20, 1935) is a former   American football   quarterback   and a member of the   Pro Football Hall of Fame . He played 19 seasons for three professional teams, the last 14 seasons with the   Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs , and played   college football   at   Purdue University .

Dawson led the Texans/Chiefs to three   American Football League Championships   ( 1962 ,   1966 ,   1969 ), and a victory in   Super Bowl IV   over the   Minnesota Vikings , for which he won the game's   MVP award . Dawson retired from professional football after the   1975   season, [1]   and was inducted into the   Pro Football Hall of Fame   in 1987. He is former sports director at   KMBC-TV   in Kansas City and former   color analyst   for the Chiefs Radio Network. Dawson owned the Chiefs single season passing touchdown record which he set in 1964 with 30 touchdowns. The record stood until November 11, 2018 when   Patrick Mahomes   threw his 31st touchdown of the 2018 season.

Lenny was a quarterback and a great one at that.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

Emmitt Smith, thank you very much.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @9    5 years ago

Emmitt Smith was a poor mans Barry Sanders!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.1.1    5 years ago

Emmitt was fortunate to be on a team that was not afraid to pay for a winning combinations of players.     Sanders played on a team that was a write-off for the Fords.   They had NO desire to follow such a template.   But don't believe me ..... look at the results.

Switch their teams and Emmitt wouldn't even be top five and Barry may be GOAT.   Certainly GOAT running back.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Walter Payton. 

There is no discussion. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11  Sparty On    5 years ago

Sweetness was great but not as sweet as Sanders.   And experts agree.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @11    5 years ago

You can make a statistical argument for Sanders and he was more elusive than Payton. 

However, as an all around football player it is Payton , with ease. 

He is one of the best blockers ever to play the running back position. He threw 8 touchdown passes in his career from the running back position. He played QB for a game when Jim McMahon was injured.  It was said that Payton could punt the ball farther and higher than the teams punter, whoever it was. 

He is the best all around football player ever. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13  Sparty On    5 years ago

Rudy Ruettiger

MrFrost
Professor Expert
14  MrFrost    5 years ago

So are we going by stats or?????

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.1  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @14    5 years ago

Blocked by the NFL.  

Damn pikers!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.2  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @14    5 years ago

Okay, how about these highlights?

If you don't have time to watch all ten minutes at least watch the last half.   No one made tacklers miss better.   Barry was amazing!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15  It Is ME    5 years ago

TOM BRADY jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif ( GO PATS !

and

Larry Csonka (Dolphins Perfect Season) jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @15    5 years ago

It does pain me to say this but Brady is the GOAT.

I think he's made a deal with the Teufel ....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
15.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @15.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif