╌>

Listen to Police Captain’s Amusing Conversation With Phone Scammers Threatening to Arrest Her

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  tig  •  5 years ago  •  26 comments

Listen to Police Captain’s Amusing Conversation With Phone Scammers Threatening to Arrest Her
“Folks, these are scam calls. Don’t ever give out your information, don’t ever verify information even if they have it. That information can be found on the web about anywhere, so don’t ever verify it … they’re all scammers, so just hang up on them or have a little fun,” she concluded with a smile.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

[The video is in the seeded article]

Many people have been subjected to calls from phone scammers pushing various schemes and stories—but this one particular scammer made the mistake of calling a North Carolina police officer.

In a video that was uploaded by the Apex Police Department last week, Captain Ann Stephens can be heard talking on the phone with a man pretending to be a law enforcement officer threatening her with arrest.

At the start of the video, one of her fellow officers says that the department has recently been receiving an influx of scam calls—so Stephens decided to have a little fun with one of the scammers and turn it into a learning opportunity for the department’s social media followers.

After trying unsuccessfully to get Stephens to give him her personal information, the scammer threatens to cancel all of her bank accounts and send a sheriff’s deputy to arrest her.

Stephens, meanwhile, can be seen casually doodling cartoons on a sticky note as the caller explains how she is being faced with 25 different charges of fraud, money laundering, and drug trafficking.

She eventually asks to speak to the man’s “commanding officer” for further information. A second man then picks up the line and continues his legal threats against her—but the call didn’t last for very long.

At the end of the video, Stephens makes sure to remind viewers to never trust dubious inquiries about their personal information.

“Folks, these are scam calls. Don’t ever give out your information, don’t ever verify information even if they have it. That information can be found on the web about anywhere, so don’t ever verify it … they’re all scammers, so just hang up on them or have a little fun,” she concluded with a smile.

Since the video was uploaded to Facebook last week, it has racked up more than one million views.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    5 years ago

Despicable human slime.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

I rarely answer the phone if it is not a number I know or an expected call at an expected time.

Stated simply, I hate telephones. They are just a necessary evil. When someone thinks it is their "right" to intrude on my private time, by chance hitting a time frame when I am expecting a call, I can be matter of fact with them.

If it is a scammer hitting a window of when I am expecting a call, and they ALWAYS give themselves away pretty obviously, there is a pretty good chance they will get reported to the FTC, FCC and even the FBI.

I don't play games with that BS.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1  cjcold  replied to  dave-2693993 @2    5 years ago

There are many times I don't answer the phone even when it's somebody I know and like.  

Text me, email me or leave a message at the tone. That's really the only way to reach me most times.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

That she was doodling during the call was hilarious.  I was a little bummed that she didn't tell either one of those fools what she did for a living.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3    5 years ago

She might have, but the 'senior officer' hung up on her.  jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

shona1
PhD Quiet
4  shona1    5 years ago

Evening..I had a ripper time a few months back..Some slime rang me on my mobile phone and they pretended to be the Australian Taxation Office...I had heard about these scam calls...it was the usual robo call and they left a number to call back..My mobile plan is for $1 a day I can make as many calls as I like..So I rang the number and got the usual Indian accent...Ripper...so wrote the number down and over 300 calls later the number was disconnected..I never spoke, just kept them on speed dial and continued ringing them non stop...I had a ball..When I googled the number, other people were complaining they could not get thru as the number was continuously engaged!!..At least I saved some others for falling for the scam...My good deed for the day...jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  shona1 @4    5 years ago
My good deed for the day...

Good on you, Shona! I have had my fair share of fun with the beer farts as well. The last one I told them if they called again I would report them and so far they have not called back. Been a week now, but, I don't think they will stop for much longer. New phone number and they are good to go for a while again. And yes, the Hindu voice trying their best to speak English, so it seems. 

But, as a rule I don't answer numbers I don't recognize. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I am pretty sure that no law enforcement agency, or the IRS, will call you on the phone in order to let you know you are about to be arrested for felonies, or for any reason actually. 

I got 2 or 3 calls like this a few years ago and I messed with them more or less like this lady did, and I never got another call. Maybe they put me on their no call list. 

I think it would help their nefarious cause if they didnt all have South Asian accents. Probably not a lot of US law enforcement with that kind of accent. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

The IRS will not call you.  I believe you are correct about law enforcement calling you as well, they won't.  They're going to show up at your door, not call you.  I was called by some fucking scammers several times pretending to be the IRS.  I called them back and gave them hell.  Now if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.  Fuck them.  

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.1.1  TTGA  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    5 years ago
I was called by some fucking scammers several times pretending to be the IRS.  I called them back and gave them hell. 

Another way to get them is to call the real IRS or FBI.  They both have a fraud division who can sometimes track down the number.  I can tell you from experience (used to be a cop) that they, like all other cops, absolutely hate people who impersonate officers.  As an IRS guy told me once, "People hate us enough already; we don't need assholes out there making things worse".

I have several files in my phone's address list, each of which has several numbers on it.  All of those numbers have the ring tone set to silent.  Any time I get a robocall, I put the number into one of those files, replacing the older numbers.  Actually works pretty well.  If they constantly get no answer, they stop calling after a bit.  Not nearly as much fun as what Shona or John did though.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

I’ve tried the pissing them off technique and then they call even more frequently. A couple weeks a ago I had one so worked up he told me to eat shit and die. That had me laughing at him and he hung up.  

I get calls almost everyday from scammers pretending to be Visa account services and another trying to sell extended warranties for cars.

My number is registered with the do not call list and I often block their numbers but they use different local phone numbers and change their number each time they call. Once your number gets on their lists and into their robocall system there is not much you can do about it. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    5 years ago

If i have time i have fun with them.   Answer and act drunk or mentally slow.   It can be real hoot.

Or you can "Mabe" them.

[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="r7jBegRJtXI"]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @8    5 years ago

That's hilarious. Its obviously a prank on the part of the radio guy though, and the telemarketer is either really stupid or playing along. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    5 years ago

Perhaps but not according to Mabe.   It's one of his bits.   He's got a whole bunch of them.

Jesus we can't even agree on that .... lol

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.1    5 years ago
Perhaps but not according to Mabe.   It's one of his bits. 

Thats what I said.   For a few seconds I could see the telemarketer getting scared, but not much longer than that, as the scenario gets more and more outlandish. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @8    5 years ago

That was awesome.  jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
9  Just Jim NC TttH    5 years ago

If I don't recognize the number, I rarely answer but when I do it's

"Sheriffs Department fraud division. Officer James how can I help you?"

OR

"Hello you're caller 10 and you're on the air"

Save Me Jebus
Freshman Silent
10  Save Me Jebus    5 years ago

They left me a voicemail to call a 1-800 number right away otherwise a "Federal Agent" will come arrest me!

I decided to call back, but I used one of the Arnold Schwarzenegger sound clip sites. They hung up pretty quickly when an angry Arnie threatened to punch them in the stomach.

I still have the 1-800 number handy and "Arnold" calls them periodically when I need a laugh.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    5 years ago

Great video! If you guys haven't seen it, you should check out Kitboga on YouTube. He spends hours on the phone with these scammers and sometimes he even hacks their computers. He's pretty funny, too, especially when he pretends to be an old lady. He can't shut them down or bust them, but he sure can waste their time. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @11    5 years ago

That piece of crap believes he is talking to an impoverished, sick old lady who he has made cry.   What a despicable excuse for a human being.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @11.1    5 years ago

Yeah. He actually calls them on it in a lot of the videos, trying to appeal to their basic humanity. Unfortunately, they have none.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @11    5 years ago

That was priceless. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.3  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @11    5 years ago

Awesome!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12  MrFrost    5 years ago

I got one a couple months ago, (I don't get many at all), it was from Bank Of America, wanting me to give either my SSN# or account number. 

In my entire life, I have never had an account with BoA. Never. Since I know this to be true, I am assuming that they were looking for my SSN# and nothing else. I let the person babble and threaten me for a few minutes while I posted here, then hung up. 

If you are unsure about a number, go to google, enter the phone number. It should give you a website that will confirm that its spam or not.