Trump criticized for planning secret Camp David meeting with Taliban days before 9/11 anniversary

Via:  tessylo  •  3 months ago  •  36 comments

Trump criticized for planning secret Camp David meeting with Taliban days before 9/11 anniversary

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

aaaa2f80-fa39-11e8-8fbf-da9c00b689c4   Christal Hayes, USA TODAY, USA TODAY   13 hours ago  

3d0de75c9311118e90af08ad69c661ce

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is facing backlash after announcing he   planned to hold a secret meeting with the Taliban   at Camp David this weekend but canceled it over attacks overseas that left 12 dead, including one American. 

Republican and Democratic leaders sharply criticized the president over two main concerns: bringing   members of the Taliban   to the U.S.—specifically to Camp David, a presidential retreat for presidents used for administrations, and the timing of the meeting — just days before the 18th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. 

The Trump administration and leaders of the Taliban, an extremist Islamic organization that controls about half of Afghanistan, have been in   peace talks for months   and closing in on a possible deal that would remove about 5,000 American troops from five bases over the next five months if the Taliban fulfills promises to reduce violence and prevent Afghanistan from becoming a haven for terrorists. 

More:   Donald Trump's secretary of state says Afghanistan talks are dead 'for now'

More:   Trump suspends Afghanistan peace talks after attack, cancels secret Camp David meeting

The president revealed plans to host Taliban leaders on Twitter Saturday evening, explaining that it   was canceled and all peace talks were off   after the group claimed responsibility for a car bomb this week that killed an American and 11 others. 

But the news that a meeting was planned drew criticism as skeptics have said the Taliban, itself a militant Islamic group that harbored Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda —which carried out the 9/11 attacks — cannot be trusted. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle vented their frustrations. 

More:   'Agreement in principle' reached with Taliban to withdraw 5,000 US troops within five months

More:   15 years after Sept. 11, the questions that still remain in our minds

Rep. Liz Cheney, one of most powerful House Republicans whose father was vice president during the 9/11 attacks, said "no member of the Taliban should set foot" at Camp David. 

"Camp David is where America’s leaders met to plan our response after al Qaeda, supported by the Taliban, killed 3000 Americans on 9/11," said Cheney, R-Wyoming, on Sunday. "No member of the Taliban should set foot there. Ever. The Taliban still harbors al Qaeda."

Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger, an Air Force veteran who flew missions throughout the Middle East -- including Afghanistan, said members of the group should "NEVER" be allowed in the U.S.  

"Never should leaders of a terrorist organization that hasn’t renounced 9/11 and continues in evil be allowed in our great country," tweeted Kinzinger, R-Ill. "NEVER. Full stop." 

Democrats also piled on. After Trump's announcement, Rep. Eric Swalwell, D- Calif., wrote on Twitter: "You brought the Taliban to the United States the week of September 11?" 

Rep. Justin Amash, who recently switched from the Republican party to become an independent, also blasted the move.

"How about we end the war without inviting the Taliban to dinner on the week of 9/11?" he wrote on Twitter. 

Others pointed to posts the president made while his predecessor, Barack Obama, was in the White House and working to negotiate a peace deal in Afghanistan. 

"While @BarackObama is slashing the military, he is also negotiating with our sworn enemy the Taliban--who facilitated 9/11," Trump wrote in 2012. 

But the controversial meeting and its cancelation have boosted uncertainty over Trump's hopes to fulfill a campaign promise in ending America's longest war and bringing U.S. troops home from Afghanistan. 

On Sunday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the peace talks were dead "for now" and defended Trump's now aborted meeting. 

"The Taliban tried to gain negotiating advantage by conducting terror attacks inside of the country," Pompeo said on CNN's 'State of the Union,' one in a string of television interviews he conducted Sunday. "It made no sense for the Taliban to be rewarded for that kind of bad behavior."

After the 9/11 attacks, U.S.-led forces invaded Afghanistan, toppled the Taliban and tried to foster democracy in the war-torn country. But remnants of the extremist group have been fighting the government ever since, and the Taliban now controls about half the country again.

More than 2,400 American soldiers have been killed in the war, according to the most recent figures from the Pentagon. There are currently about 22,000 coalition troops in Afghanistan now, 14,000 of them Americans.

Trump's hope for a speedy withdrawal of U.S. forces has drawn opposition from within his own administration, including military leaders who want a more phased approach. Critics fear a premature withdrawal would encourage the Taliban to re-take control of the country.

Contributing: David Jackson, Deirdre Shesgreen and John Fritze

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:   President Trump criticized over canceled Taliban meeting at Camp David

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Tessylo
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 months ago

But the news that a meeting was planned drew criticism as skeptics have said the Taliban, itself a militant Islamic group that harbored Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda —which carried out the 9/11 attacks — cannot be trusted. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle vented their frustrations. 

More:    'Agreement in principle' reached with Taliban to withdraw 5,000 US troops within five months

More:    15 years after Sept. 11, the questions that still remain in our minds

Rep. Liz Cheney, one of most powerful House Republicans whose father was vice president during the 9/11 attacks, said "no member of the Taliban should set foot" at Camp David. 

"Camp David is where America’s leaders met to plan our response after al Qaeda, supported by the Taliban, killed 3000 Americans on 9/11," said Cheney, R-Wyoming, on Sunday. "No member of the Taliban should set foot there. Ever. The Taliban still harbors al Qaeda."

Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger, an Air Force veteran who flew missions throughout the Middle East -- including Afghanistan, said members of the group should "NEVER" be allowed in the U.S.  

"Never should leaders of a terrorist organization that hasn’t renounced 9/11 and continues in evil be allowed in our great country," tweeted Kinzinger, R-Ill. "NEVER. Full stop." 

Democrats also piled on. After Trump's announcement, Rep. Eric Swalwell, D- Calif., wrote on Twitter: "You brought the Taliban to the United States the week of September 11?" 

Rep. Justin Amash, who recently switched from the Republican party to become an independent, also blasted the move.

"How about we end the war without inviting the Taliban to dinner on the week of 9/11?" he wrote on Twitter. 

MUVA
2  MUVA    3 months ago

Wait I thought the war in Afghanistan was illegal WAR  and the Taliban didn't really help plan or support the attack on the USA on 911.I would say I'm glad that some of the media and those on the left finally see the light.

Ozzwald
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  MUVA @2    3 months ago
Wait I thought the war in Afghanistan was illegal WAR  and the Taliban didn't really help plan or support the attack on the USA on 911.

Been reading altered history? 

The war in Iraq was the illegal war, AL-Qaeda was the terrorist group, and Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11. 

But none the less, America should not negotiate with terrorists, period.

MUVA
2.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    3 months ago

Bull shit for years it was Bush’s illegal wars not war it is you that is trying to change history or at least the spin.

Trout Giggles
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MUVA @2.1.1    3 months ago

I always thought going to Afghanistan and getting Bin Laden and destroying the Taliban and Al Queda was the right thing to do. We never had any business in Iraq.

MUVA
2.1.3  MUVA  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    3 months ago

There were thousands of foreign fighters in Iraq or as we called them terrorist I agree we didn’t need to invade but they had to be addressed:

Ozzwald
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  MUVA @2.1.1    3 months ago

Bull shit for years it was Bush’s illegal wars not war it is you that is trying to change history or at least the spin.

And how can I possibly respond after you have documented your claim so well?

not.png

MUVA
2.1.5  MUVA  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    3 months ago

You can try all you want you can not change the fact that a good portion of Democrats lumped the two wars together for years.

Ozzwald
2.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  MUVA @2.1.5    3 months ago

You can try all you want you can not change the fact that a good portion of Democrats lumped the two wars together for years.

Already changing the claim, but still no evidence to back it up.

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

MUVA
2.1.7  MUVA  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.6    3 months ago

I haven't changed a thing you are trying to rewrite history I call BS not even a nice try. 

Ozzwald
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  MUVA @2.1.7    3 months ago
I haven't changed a thing you are trying to rewrite history

Prove it!!  Anything!!

Krishna
2.2  Krishna  replied to  MUVA @2    3 months ago
the Taliban didn't really help plan or support the attack on the USA on 911.I

You spirited defense of the Taliban has been noted!

Any other wonderful group you'd like to defend here while you're at it? The german nazi party perhaps? And perhaps why our war against the Axis was, after all,illegal? How about Stalin-- or Attila the Hun perhaps?

MUVA
2.2.1  MUVA  replied to  Krishna @2.2    3 months ago

I didn’t defend the Taliban where did you get that I have known since 911 they were are enemy it is about time you came around.

MUVA
2.2.2  MUVA  replied to  Krishna @2.2    3 months ago

Did you bother to even read my post you missed by a mile your framing of my post is so far off base [Deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
3  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago

The 18th anniversary of when "somebody did something"  s/

freepress
4  freepress    3 months ago

I guess he really does have dementia. The "never forget" theme of Republicans just went into the trash heap of history. Either he lied, (ha, ha) or the people managing him have memory issues as well.

lady in black
5  lady in black    3 months ago

And this ladies and gentlemen is the pos scumbag fucktard who resides in the white house who claimed people cheered.  He is a disgrace.

WallyW
6  WallyW    3 months ago

"You can't a birth rate" as some wise person has said.

From the Romans to the Russians, no one has been able to defeat these radical Islamic terrorists.

The only way to deal with terrorists is to kill them, they cannot be reasoned with.

Trump should quit listening to the hawks, and bring all the troops home....except for a few and rare Special Ops missions.

Tessylo
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  WallyW @6    3 months ago

You can't a birth rate

WTF does that mean?

Krishna
6.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    3 months ago
You can't a birth rate WTF does that mean?

It probably means he's been spending too much time watching Trump TV (AKA "Fox News").

Like their Dear Leader...a lot of what they say makes absolutely no sense.

WallyW
6.1.2  WallyW  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    3 months ago

[deleted]

The context is meant to show that staying in that region is pointless.

The terrorists will just keep coming, and no one can beat them, including the US.

Idiot Bush got us into that mess,Trump wants to get us out.

Dismayed Patriot
6.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  WallyW @6.1.2    3 months ago
I see it went right over your head....again.

"You can't a birth rate"

You can't what a birth rate?

There were no "nuanced figures of speech" or any context that would explain that kind of poor grammar. Perhaps you want to re-read your own post to explain what you can't do to or with a birth rate.

As far as I know, there are no famous persons who have ever said, "You can't a birth rate". Perhaps Yogi Berra? He famously said "You can observe a lot just by watching", but even that makes more sense than your incomplete sentence.

WallyW
6.1.4  WallyW  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.3    3 months ago

Sorry, I left the word "beat" out.

My bad!

[deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
6.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  WallyW @6.1.2    3 months ago

They don't have to keep coming.  Trump will just invite them.

Galen Marvin Ross
7  Galen Marvin Ross    3 months ago

I was listening to the news the yesterday and, they said that Trump never advised anyone in the Senate about planning these talks, which isn't suppose to happen, the Senate is suppose to be informed of all planned peace talks with foreign advisary's.

Tessylo
7.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7    3 months ago

Yeah, so a secret meeting which he cancelled.  Why announce it at all?

Galen Marvin Ross
7.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    3 months ago

To distract from #sharpygate for a few days.

Krishna
7.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.1    3 months ago
To distract from #sharpygate for a few days.

Pardon me for an off-topic comment. 

But I should mention I recently had the same problem-- when you type a link (on NT) that begins with a number symbol, it doesn't go to Twitter. Rather, in the bizarre world of NT HTML code, it sends you to the NT Timeline page.

Here's the difference. You can check it out by clicking on each of these links;

1. Link with No space after the # symbol: #sharpygate  

2. Link with a space added after the # symbol: # sharpy.gate

WallyW
7.1.3  WallyW  replied to  Krishna @7.1.2    3 months ago

I thought i twas just me.

1. Some kind of "embed" error message showed a few times, 'X'ed' it out.

2. Formatting symbols enlarged, 'Remove link' icon greyed out, can't be changed.

3. Underlined in red spelling, when right clicked displays 'Link' symbol  and key combo.

WallyW
7.1.4  WallyW  replied to  WallyW @7.1.3    3 months ago

Spelling 'error' underlining

cjcold
7.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    3 months ago
Why announce it at all?

Because he is insane?

How many times has he reversed an insane spontaneous decision? 

Trout Giggles

WallyW
8.1  WallyW  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    3 months ago

It seems many of us are having problems with formating

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
10  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    3 months ago

Why would you ever sit down at the table and discuss peace with men who would convince women and children to put on a suicide vest and kill innocent? These guys stone gays to death all well accepting homosexuality among their ranks because the poor cannot afford the necessary dowry to marry?

I do believe we should leave that bizarre pile of mud but you don't need to come to an agreement. If they harbor terrorists that harm Americans we can send them one of those wonderful bombs designed to decimate sand.

Don't negotiate with people living in the stone age.

Tacos!
10.1  Tacos!  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @10    3 months ago
Why would you ever sit down at the table and discuss peace with men who would convince women and children to put on a suicide vest and kill innocent?

In my heart, I agree. I have no interest in talking to these bastards. I remember when they started showing up in the 90s and they would destroy ancient archaeological sites, erasing culture that was centuries old. Ever since, all they have brought to the Earth is terror, chaos, and death. They're like locusts.

Unfortunately, they're also like roaches, and unless you're willing to gas the whole house, I don't think we're ever going to be able to remove them from a place like Afghanistan completely. 

dennis smith
10.2  dennis smith  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @10    3 months ago

Bush, got us involved with support of both Dems and Repubs. Obama continued our involvement.

Trump wants us out.

Three choices

1 -  remove all US personnel, monetary support and munitions and let the region deal with the problem.

2 -  continue with personnel, monetary support and munitions endlessly.

3 - decimate the area with weapons that will eliminate life there.

None of the above will guarantee that the problem will not come to America at some point.