╌>

In Memorial For Marsha Meyer aka Dowser

Category:  Other

By:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  76 comments

In Memorial For Marsha Meyer aka Dowser
A meaningful life

A meaningful life is not being rich, being popular, being highly educated, or being perfect. 

It's about being real, being humble, being able to share ourselves and to touch the lives of others. 

Author unknown.

It is with great sadness that I have to inform the community of the passing of  to Marsha Taylor Meyers, known to her online friends as Dowser. She was a devoted daughter, wife, and mother. She leaves behind her loving husband John, her beloved son, Matthew and Daughter, Brittany Anne Tackett.

She had been battling heart disease for many years and this past year had a stroke, which prevented her from doing many of the things she loved. But she was sunny and upbeat about her condition. 

Marsha was a trailblazer being the first woman aqua geologist in her state. She chose her online name "Dowser" for the name used by the men who claimed they could find water by using a divining stick, a wink to the nudge to her chosen work. Marsha could always find the good in everyone, as if she was divining the best out of us. 

Marsha was a rare soul. Her kindness always came through, even with those with whom she disagreed with. She was honest and a t the same time, she always stated her mind without malice. She had grace and was humble. She loved animals and beauty. She was a loyal friend and was always willing to help out when few others would. I can say she made my life richer and it was an honor to have know her. I will miss her terribly as I know many of you will, too. 

If you are interested in attending Marsha's/ Dowser's memorial service, or if you are interested in donating in her memory, you can find the information here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Farewell my friend. I will miss you always. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1  TTGA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
I will miss you always

We all will Perrie.  She represented the best in all of us. 

To all KK Members:  I will be putting Marsha up on the Memorial Wall shortly,  If you wish to leave a remembrance, put it in the Comment section of the article.  I will also be sending out a general message to all members notifying all those members who may not have been here recently.

To those here who are not members of the private group Kilted Korner:  One of our features there is a Memorial Wall article for those of our members who have passed.  If anyone should wish to put a remembrance of Marsha up on the Wall, please send it to me on PN and I will be happy to add it on for you.  Since it will be part of the article itself, it will be there permanently, whether you remain on NT or not.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TTGA @1.1    5 years ago

Well done, TTGA. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    5 years ago

I for one would like to see Dowser's avatar remain here on NT like was done for Tslu when he walked on. 

Dowser was one of NT's most long standing members, and considered all its Members as her Family.

And as part of our NT Family, she will be long remembered for all she brought and did for us all.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.2    5 years ago
like was done for Tslu

Sorry for the misspelling...that should be Tsula. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.4  TTGA  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.3    5 years ago

I think that would depend on what her family wants Raven.  Since her husband and son are also members, I would doubt that there would be much change.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  TTGA @1.1.4    5 years ago

Tsula was a Native American Brother both here on NT and NV, and a great contributor to both sites.

Thus, when he walked on His Native American Bothers and Sisters here requested that he remain shown as an active Member to honor him. He remains are part of NT Membership as of today.

Marsha was also an active contributor to the Anishinaabe Group for many years, and she was very proud of her many contributions, as are we. 

I don't think that Rockhound, her Son, nor her Husband would object to her being honored by having her avatar and Membership remaining as an active part of the site she loved so well. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.6  TTGA  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.5    5 years ago
Thus, when he walked on His Native American Bothers and Sisters here requested that he remain shown as an active Member to honor him.

Actually, so did I for much the same reason.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  TTGA @1.1.6    5 years ago
Actually, so did I for much the same reason.

Thank you. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

DEATH IS NOT THE ENEMY

(Joshua Loth Liebman)

I often feel that death is not the enemy of life, but its friend; for it is the
knowledge that our years are limited which makes them so precious. It
is the truth that time is but lent to us which makes us, at our best, look
upon our years as a trust handed into our temporary keeping.

We are like children privileged to spend a day in a great park, a park
filled with many gardens and playgrounds, and azure-tinted lakes and
boats sailing upon tranquil waves.

True, the day allotted to each of us is not the same in length, in light, in
beauty. Some children of earth are privileged to spend a long and sunlit
day in the garden of the earth. For others, the day is shorter, cloudier,
and dusk descends more quickly as in a winter’s tale.

But whether our life is a long summery day or a shorter wintry
afternoon, we know that inevitably there are storms and squalls which
overcast even the bluest heaven and there are sunlit rays which pierce
the darkest autumn sky.

The day we are privileged to spend in the great
park of life is not the same for all human beings; but there is enough
beauty and joy and gaiety in the hours, if we but treasure them.

Then for each of us the moment comes when the great nurse, death,
takes us by the hand and quietly says, “It is time to go home. Night is
coming. It is your bedtime, child of earth. Come, you’re tired. Lie
down at last in the quiet nursery of nature and sleep. Sleep well. The
day is gone. Stars shine in the canopy of eternity.”

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.1  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    5 years ago

That's beautiful, John. Really, deeply, beautiful.

Joshua, seems to have learned a valuable lesson about endings, and I can appreciate it. When this aging building of mine begins leaking, and I can not bear the loss of its dignity any longer, I hope I can aspire to lay my burden down - like I have seen many others do in my family - with nary a complain, and more of a quiet resolve. When my time comes, Lord, whisper in my ear softly, "It's time to move."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  CB @1.2.1    5 years ago

Ironically,  I suppose, the author of these sentiments , a rabbi who wrote the best selling book Peace Of Mind in 1947, died of a heart attack at the age of 41. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    5 years ago

RIP

A rare wonderful soul. May her group live on in her honour.

My greatest condolences to her family.

Nona62
Professor Silent
3  Nona62    5 years ago

So sorry to hear this sad news about  an incredible woman and friend.  I have been thinking of her lately, and wondered if we would  hear from her again.

Rest in peace special lady and friend to all who  knew and loved her. 

Perrie, thank you for sharing this with all of us who loved her.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago

RIP Marsha. She became a friend back on NV, absolutely wonderful woman, she was all class. We had talked of meeting in Seattle to go to a Mariners game..... 6-7 years ago, (maybe longer)? We never went because life can be hectic and we could never find the time. 

I will miss her greatly. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

What I will remember about Marsha on Newstalkers is that while she was active here she was tireless in wanting to see Newstalkers improve and thrive and was always ready with an upbeat or homespun article. She was a very good writer who would tell the tales of her grandparents, great grandparents and other colorful ancestors in Kentucky. Also added expert analysis of topics related to geology and earth science. 

Marsha was also the epitomy of calm in the storm, always trying to even the keel of forum infighting. 

Rest in peace friend. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6  JaneDoe    5 years ago

She was one of the first to welcome me here.

May she rest easy. Strength and condolences to her family.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7  Galen Marvin Ross    5 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of her passing, somehow I always pictured her young and, vibrant, I will miss her. RIP

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

My sweet darling girl.  I can't stand it.  I swear to god I will never get close to anyone ever again.  It's just too painful to lose them.  

She was 5-foot-nothin', but packed a verbal punch like none other, especially when she was in protective mode.

Words can't describe how much I will miss her.                                                                      

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

This is just the saddest news. I loved how she called everyone "our <insert screen name here>. She was a lovely person who was kind but didn't take bullshit.

I shall miss her very much

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    5 years ago

We only knew each other briefly, but in that window of time she shared with me in friendship. Recently, I asked about her whereabouts after so long. May God be pleased with her.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
12  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Dowser, Dowser, Dowser - the many talks we had about Natural and Cultural Resources, riverbed succession, Indian artifacts, archaeological findings and trying to find ways to even the keel of the rambustness of NT - Matthew and his schooling and music, John and his fight against corporate and finally starting his own business - and her laughter and smiles.

RIP Dowser.  May your walk on the Red Road be a shining light to others.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
12.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  1stwarrior @12    5 years ago

Condolences to her friends and family.  May God bring comfort and peace to all who were close to her. RIP. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
13  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

This really sucks. I was hoping for a recovery and her return to NTers. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @13    5 years ago

So was I Dean. I never thought it would end this way. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
14  Kavika     5 years ago

Marsha and Matthew visited Red and me in Missouri in the summer of 2017.

She and Matthew came bearing gifts. A small bag of Kentucky bluegrass. A Kentucky horseshoe and a stunning purple rock. When the light hits it, it becomes translucent and a beautiful purple. 

We took a boat ride around the lake and the four of us spend one afternoon at the clubhouse pool. Red and Matthew had a great time together while Marsha and I talked about, water/rocks/Indian culture/writing among many other things. 

I'm going to really miss that lady...She was one of a kind. 

May you walk the path of souls to your ancestors.

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  Kavika     5 years ago

Matthew, Marsha and me at our home in Missouri, summer 2017.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @15    5 years ago

What a lovely photo Kavika. We had always planned to get together. I guess it was not to be. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
15.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @15    5 years ago

(Psssst - don't forget Wiki :-) )

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.3.1  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @15.3    5 years ago

Wiki followed Marsha and Rockhound around for two days...Ha, Marsha thought Wiki was the best.

PJ
Masters Quiet
16  PJ    5 years ago

Shortly after joining and getting to know Marsha I started to call her Lady Dowser because she reminded me of a true lady.  Always gracious and kind.  I only recall a handful of times in which she lost her temper with another member and even then she avoided making it personal.  As others have mentioned, her approach was always inclusive and welcoming even when she didn't agree with the other member.   

She loved her husband and son and it came across whenever she posted about them.  

She was kind and considerate with the ability to spread sunshine through her posts.  Her passing is a great loss to the site.   

We are the keeper of the memories

A sacred trust given by one

who has journeyed on

......Glenda Stansbury

R.I.P. Lady Dowser

TTGA
Professor Silent
16.2  TTGA  replied to  PJ @16    5 years ago
I started to call her Lady Dowser because she reminded me of a true lady. 

PJ, that's wild and your minds must work closely with each other.  Marsha used to put videos up on YouTube and the name on her account was Lady Dowser.

devangelical
Professor Principal
17  devangelical    5 years ago

RIP Dowser, my first friend on NT and a friend on NV. A truly gentle and loving soul. May she stroll thru fields of wildflowers in paradise forever.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
18  Raven Wing    5 years ago

My heart hurts, to know that my dear and loving Friend Marsha has walked on. We were good Friends both on line and off for many years. 

She made NT a better place for her being here, sharing he life's ups and downs, and her wonderful stories that she shared, all of which I have saved since her first one. 

She brought a lot of joy and laughter here to NT, her cyber home, with her great sense of humor and way of looking at life's various ups and downs.

She was a loving and devoted Mother to her Son, and loving wife to her doting husband.

To say she will be missed is putting it mildly, and she has taken a part of my heart with her. 

May the Creator hold her in His loving hands as she takes the next steps to her own eternal journey. 

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace) Sweet Sister Dowser. I'll see you. jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

devangelical
Professor Principal
18.1  devangelical  replied to  Raven Wing @18    5 years ago

beautiful. kleenex time for me

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
18.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  devangelical @18.1    5 years ago

Me too. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
19  pat wilson    5 years ago

I've been missing her from the time she left NT. Dowser was the best. Smart and kind. She brought a lot to NT !

KatPen
Freshman Silent
20  KatPen    5 years ago

So sorry to hear this sad news!  Dowser was a friend and we had some great chats here on NT.  I always admired her, and I've missed her for a long time.  Rest in peace, dear Dowser.  ////Tears////

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent
21  bitemore Gfotwo    5 years ago

This is beyond sad. Dowser was special, as everyone here knows all too well. I am among the fortunate ones to have met her in person, at her Vinemeet in 2011. That is a weekend I will never forget, and for which I will be forever grateful to have been able to experience. Everything said about her by everyone here is so very very true, so very heartfelt, and brings to the forefront all of those memories, that beautiful rush of memories that only Dowser could have generated. R. I. P., Dowsey dearest. A part of my heart is with you, and always will be.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
22  Split Personality    5 years ago

The morning sun has risen oer the hill
And dawn is golden, pale as sifted wheat
Now every flower holds up its cup to fill
With dewy sun, the morning's rays, replete
With rainbow's hues. But I awaken, chill
From sorrow that our minds no longer meet.

A lover's thrust may thrill, may penetrate
To fornicate's the feather, but the quill
Is union of the psyche, higher state
Of character, of consciousness, of will...
With precious few I've chosen to relate
A mountain tarn is fathomless and still
The tuneful nightingale's an isolate
And piercing is the darkness of its trill

I was a high-wire walker- you, the net
Now you are gone, I tread with extra care
Knowing no catcher waits to break my fall
One slip could trip me into empty air
In that fine web of friendship and of Fate
Your death is both a vacuum and a tear

The morning sun has risen oer the town
But colder than the crypt I see it soar
For all my years, like windswept corn, bend down
Heavy with grief, to Melancholy's floor
High Spring- yet every bud in bloom seems brown
One who was here has closed the final door

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
22.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @22    5 years ago

Beautiful and sorrowful. I am speechless. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
23  Citizen Kane-473667    5 years ago

I want to express my condolences to her family and friends. May you all find comfort in the thought that she will never be hungry, lonely, sick, or heartbroken ever again.

May she Rest In Peace.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
24  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

I have two rocks on my kitchen counter.  One is a deep purple that shows some light green striations when backlit, and the other is a light, translucent green with subtle purple striations.  They're fluorite, which Dowser told us in one discussion was her favorite stone.  It's not worth much - too soft to be a gemstone.  But it's pretty, even when it isn't polished.  I was thinking of Dowser when I bought them in a rockhounds' shop while on vacation, because she was the one who had shown me how pretty fluorite is.  By then, it had been a while since she'd been able to participate here, and we hoped she was recovering from her stroke.

Dowser was a lady - always classy and kind, the kind of person whose good opinion was worth having.  The type of person we should all try to emulate.  If she disagreed with you, she always let you know, but she always took the high road.

It was wonderful how much she loved her work, and shared that love with us.  She showed us the beauty that could be found beneath our feet.

I wish I'd had time to know her better.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
25  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I woke this morning to see this very sad news - Madame "Fair and Balanced" has left us, and as John Donne, who first wrote the words "Seek not FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, it tolls for thee" has so written, we have ALL lost a little of ourselves.  My condolences to her husband and Rockhound.  May she rest in peace.

Krishna
Professor Expert
26  Krishna    5 years ago

I was very sad when I read this. She was one of the nicest people I have ever met online.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
27  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

Many blessings on your journey Dowser; you are deeply missed. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
29  MrFrost    5 years ago

"Hel, great goddess, daughter of loki
Guard of the spirits of the dead
Our friend Marsha has come to you now
As Marsha kneels before you, Hel
Know how much she was loved in this life
And how many she loved in return.
Before she crossed over she was an honorable soul;
A soaring spirit, a brave warrior.
Watch over her, Hel, as she crosses the bridge
From this life to the next.
And welcome her with honor and glory
So that she may live on forever
In our hearts and memories."

MrFrost
Professor Expert
30  MrFrost    5 years ago
A meaningful life is not being rich

I have wealth, it means nothing if you have no love, no friends, no self worth... Marsha embodied everything all of us should be. The world lost a wonderful woman. We should all aspire to be what she was. 

Al-316
Professor Silent
31  Al-316    5 years ago

There is little that I can say about Dowser that has not already been said.

Dowser had an aura about her that reflected warmth, love, and understanding for all.

She truly amazed me with her inner strength and confidence.

Dowser earned my respect, admiration, and affection.

My condolences to all her family and many friends.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
31.1  MrFrost  replied to  Al-316 @31    5 years ago

Well said, she would have appreciated that, so you nailed it. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
31.2  Enoch  replied to  Al-316 @31    5 years ago

Dear Brother Al-316: Verbiage sparse, meaning and wisdom dense.

You still have it brother.

You have it, and use it when most it is needed.

Well written indeed.

Thanks.

P&AB.

Enoch.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
32  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Rest In Peace Dowser.

Missed you and will miss you.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
33  Uptownchick    5 years ago

This is just so sad to hear. My heart goes out to her family, friends and all those lives she touched. Now I know why she has been on my mind so much in the last few days. 

108962ad668445185bc822d432cd84a8.jpg Rest in peace Marsha. You will be missed greatly.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
34  Enoch    5 years ago

"El Ma'aleh Rachamim". (G-d is filled with mercy).

There is a stage at which there is no point to continuing on in this level of life.

When all there is is pain, and a lack of function it the ultimate act of mercy to call home one who certainly deserves moving on and up.

Marcia never chose to be kind, compassionate, understanding, loving, productive, wise, trailblazing, ethical, and a seeker and user of knowledge.

She was both caused and compelled to be and do so.

That was her nature.

These things are among her extensive legacy.

Marcia did all the good she could for all to whom she could accomplish this.

By building Marcia's existence around others she lived her life full measure.

Now is her time for peace, repose, and tranquility.

Rest well dearest of friends.

Rest well indeed.

You more than earned it.

Peace and Abundant Blessings To Us All.

Enoch.

lib50
Professor Silent
35  lib50    5 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this.  Sending her light on her journey and my condolences to all who loved her.  

Pedro
Professor Participates
36  Pedro    5 years ago

I was sad to hear that Marsha passed away. She was arguably the nicest person I met at NV long ago and a friend to all.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
36.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Pedro @36    5 years ago

It's been very sad for all of us. I am in touch with her son and he is reading these posts, so it means a lot that you made the trip here. 

Hope life has been good to you! You have been missed.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
37  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

If you are interested in attending Marsha's/ Dowser's memorial service, or if you are interested in donating in her memory, you can find the information here.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
38  sixpick    5 years ago

Marsha was about as good as you get.  I wish her family the best and my condolences.  I want to share this video I downloaded.  I don't remember exactly when or how I got it.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
38.1  pat wilson  replied to  sixpick @38    5 years ago

So sweet !

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
39  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Dowser leaves a hole in our lives. She was kind and thoughtful... all the time. That is rare.

Dowser was a rare person.

You can post condolences to her family at the link Perrie gave.

Krab
Freshman Silent
40  Krab    2 years ago

I'm so sad to find out about her passing. I made new account after forgetting about this site for so long to find her. We found out we had roots together through Nancy who she blogged about and I remember her offering to meet. She was so nice I wanted to find her and drive down and make our family bigger. My condolences to our distant family. -Kayla Crabtree

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
40.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Krab @40    2 years ago

Her passing was a great loss.  She had many friends, and deserved many more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
41  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

It surprised me to see this article reopened after a few years, but it was a reminder of the lovely person that she was, and a lament that there are so few like her here these days..

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
41.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @41    2 years ago

I must have been out of town at the time because somehow missed this three years ago.  Having not seen her post in years I figured Dowser was no longer with us, but it’s never too late to give props to the best story teller this site and NV ever had.

Krab
Freshman Silent
41.1.1  Krab  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @41.1    2 years ago

She answered yearning questions I've had since I was a child, and in such a beautiful way. Mad props.

Krab
Freshman Silent
41.2  Krab  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @41    2 years ago

We didn't talk for long as I forgot the password and stopped using the college email shortly after getting locked out when the site changed over and got frustrated. Then enough time passed that I forgot to get around to making a new account. We may not really be related with the distance but Marsha welcomed me and made me feel like real family instantly. Wonderful soul. It would be a lie to say I didn't cry and still hurt since I found out Monday. What I like about it most is I still feel how special she made me feel so easily. I'm glad I came back. And I'm so glad to see how special Marsha is. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
41.2.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krab @41.2    2 years ago

Marsha was one of a kind. She was not just a wonderful friend, but a wonderful person. I often find myself thinking about her and I miss her terribly. 

I'm sorry for any pain this has caused you, but at least you know what happened to her. That might bring you some closure. I'm sure she would have wanted that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
41.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krab @41.2    2 years ago

Marsha continues to do good - she brought you back to NT. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
41.2.3  pat wilson  replied to  Krab @41.2    2 years ago

Not only was she highly intelligent (of which she was very humble) she was also exceptionally kind.