╌>

We need more monopolies like Google

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

We need more monopolies like Google

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt in Washington, DC after after a news conference to announce an antitrust probe into Alphabet's Google on Sept. 9, 2019. REUTERS/Bryan Pietsch

I traveled to Europe earlier this year, and used Google maps to get around in a rented car. Google Translate helped me ask basic questions in the local language, while Google’s search engine helped me research restaurants. All of that was free.

My phone company, however, charged me $10 per day for the international service I needed to access Google.

Nobody is accusing the phone company of gouging consumers or engaging in anticompetitive behavior. But politicians are swarming Google, with attorneys general for 50 states  and territories announcing an antitrust investigation of the tech giant on Sept. 9. The state AGs will look into Google’s dominance of advertising on the Internet, and probe whether it keeps other players out of the business.

Democratic Sen.  Elizabeth Warren , who’s running for president,  wants to break up Google , along with Amazon and Facebook. She complains that Google has built too thorough a business by acquiring mapping service Waze, thermostat maker Nest and ad firm DoubleClick. She’d force the company to sell off its core search business and then regulate it like a heavily governed utility.

President Trump hates Google because he feels, without evidence, that it besmirches conservative politicians like himself through skewed search results. The highly politicized antitrust division of Trump’s  Justice Department  is now  investigating the firm , on top of the other investigations. Shares of Alphabet ( GOOGL ), Google’s parent firm, are down nearly 8% since April 29, when antitrust rumors began to pick up steam.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

A brand consumers love

If Google is an abusive monopoly, then we need more abusive monopolies!

Consumers clearly love being ripped off by Google, ranking it consistently near the top among consumer brands. Google  ranks second  among Morning Consult’s most-loved brands, for instance. And it  ranks third out of nearly 900 companies  on Just Capital’s index of “most just” companies.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Politicians who do want to break up Google might want to ask its users a few questions before it’s too late.

If given a choice, would they prefer to retain all their personal data and pay a fee for using all of Google’s services? Or are they fine getting everything for free, as long as Google can track their behavior?

On other services offering this sort of choice, more than 90% of consumers typically choose the free version and hand over the data. Is it worth pissing off most of everybody by turning Google and other search engines into utilities people have to pay for?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

Goggle is a commie secret plan to mind control all Americans. 

Where are NT's commie hunters....

Boris and Natasha will soon be President and First Lady of the U.S. 

Of course Rocky and Bullwinkle will be head of the CIA and FBI.

Calling NT's commie hunters....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
Boris and Natasha will soon be President and First Lady of the U.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
"Goggle (sic) is a commie secret plan to mind control all Americans."

LOL.  That's pretty funny considering Google and all it's subs like Gmail have been banned in China (the land accused of mind-controlling its citizens) for many years.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    5 years ago

For good reason the google ban is a great example of the commies attempts to control the minds of the Chinese people. It’s the same as book burning. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.2.1    5 years ago

I don't need Google.  I use Bing, Ecosia and Yahoo search facilities.  If China wanted to ban all access to information they would be blocked.  Your hysteria about China is really excessive.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.2    5 years ago
I don't need Google

That reminds me of a funny T-shirt I saw. (On Amazon-- they should be banned as well!)

I've posted it before...

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

as most who know me, know i'm not a commie conspirator type, but i do not like Google becoming the all knowing monopoly on so much, about so many.

Right now, they don' t appear to be a great threat, but think of the impact if by controlled by say, one such as Trump, 

what would be your takes on such a scenario ?

would you still be comfortable with ONE company, CONTROLLING SO MUCH .../?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4    5 years ago

Well, I think that Zuckerberg could be the most dangerous mind-controlling despot in the world.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago

if he chose to be

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago
Well, I think that Zuckerberg could be the most dangerous mind-controlling despot in the world.

Actually I've often thought the same about several people who are frequent users of Newstalkers  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago
Zuckerberg could be the most dangerous mind-controlling despot in the world

No, I'm the most dangerous mind-controlling despot in the world. You just don't know it because, well . . . mind control! And in a moment you will forget how horrified you were at this revelation. All who read it will remain unconcerned. Because . . . mind control! Mwa ha ha ha!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.3    5 years ago

LOL.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.3    5 years ago

mind control!

A while back I actually took a course called "Silva Mind Control"

It sounds very sinister-- and a lot of conspiracy theorists bashed it.

So they changed the name to " The Silva Method".

(Was an excellent course BTW-- although I've heard its been watered down....)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4    5 years ago
if by controlled by say, one such as Trump, 

If!

There's an olde saying about "ifs":

If my grandmother had a wheel and two handles, she'd be a wheelbarrow!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @4.2    5 years ago

that'd be wheelie kool

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.2.1    5 years ago
that'd be wheelie kool

I see you starting to get a handle on what its about...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @4.2    5 years ago

If a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped. (My father's favorite)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago
President Trump hates Google because he feels, without evidence, that it besmirches conservative politicians like himself through skewed search results.

OK, I like a lot of things about Google, too, but let's not pretend there is no evidence that search results are politically skewed.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

This is an interesting article - it's from 2015 but explains things pretty well in layman's terms.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago
that'd be wheelie kool

I see you starting to get a handle on what its about...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6    5 years ago

You can say THAT again.  Oh, you DID.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    5 years ago
You can say THAT again.  Oh, you DID.

I be one wheelie Kool Dude!

(To coin a phrase).