╌>

Shia Muslims Celebrate Ashura (WARNING: Some people may find photos to be upsetting)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  66 comments

Shia Muslims Celebrate Ashura (WARNING: Some people may find photos to be upsetting)
Children left covered in blood as devout Muslims use knives to slice their heads open during traditional Ashura show of faith in Iraq

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The day commemorates the death of Husayn ibn Ali, the grandson of the prophet Muhammad. Credit: AFP or licensors

THESE incredible pictures show devout Muslims using knives to slice open their heads - and those of children - during the traditional Ashura show of faith in Iraq.

They are among the millions of Shia Muslim worshippers currently taking part  in annual ceremonies  to mourn the death of Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The men used large knives to cut their heads, while others helped to cut heads of those around them.

The processions and services held this week mark the holiest days in the Shia calendar, Tasua and Ashura.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The commemorations take place on   Ashura , the tenth day of the first month of the Islamic calendar.

They mark Husayn's death at the Battle of Karbala, fought between Husayn and Yazid I on October 10 680AD to determine who should succeed the prophet as the leader of Islam.

The anniversary is a national holiday in Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Bahrain, and Pakistan, and typically involves public expressions of mourning.

Some Muslims mark the day with the practice of Tatbir, in which a sword or scourge is used to draw blood in remembrance of the innocent blood of Husayn.

Many who take part in the practice believe it cleanses them of their sins.

(Link )

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1    replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

Do-Wacka-Do

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  @2.1    5 years ago
Do-Wacka-Do

At least.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

Brilliant ! jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Who the fuck would NEED to knife cut a little "Kid" on purpose anyway. jrSmiley_27_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

Even if doesn't kill a child, the chances are that they may die from infection as I doubt they clean the wound properly on top of using a dirty knife.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    5 years ago

Well they actually believe that they (adults) will spend eternity in Paradise if they die fighting in the name of Islam--so my guess that the same is true of the kids. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    5 years ago
Even if doesn't kill a child, the chances are that they may die from infection as I doubt they clean the wound properly on top of using a dirty knife.

When you look at the picture, the guy holding the kid looks so proud.....of HIMSELF.

Kids just terrified !

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.2    5 years ago

Not since the picture of Bayle Almon (OKC bombing), has my heart been broken this deeply as it has seeing the pain on that child's face.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I think it should be pointed out that the Sunni don't do this holiday since this prophet is the dividing difference between the two branches of Islam.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I dont approve of the ritual, but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago
but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes

Really ?

Not unfortunate at all.

It's real, isn't it ?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @6.1    5 years ago

Do you think that America should , in general, be anti-Muslim ? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    5 years ago
Do you think that America should , in general, be anti-Muslim ?

I can only speak for myself. I'd say "generally" ….no !

Now there are "Specific" things that can make me "Anti-Muslim", or "Anti-Anything" for that matter.

Do you think AMERICANS should, in general, be anti-Christian ?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.3  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    5 years ago

I think America should be anti-child abuse. Anti-religious extremist, too. Whether it's the fanatical rabbis doing those unhygienic circumcisions, or female genital mutilation, or priests raping children and nuns, or people slicing their children's heads - we should call it out and condemn it. Religion does not give people free passes for these actions, although it is the root cause of these actions.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.2    5 years ago
Do you think AMERICANS should, in general, be anti-Christian ?

The only anti-Christians I know are anti-every other religion too.  Atheists.  Do you have a point? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.4    5 years ago
The only anti-Christians I know are anti-every other religion too.

Or the ones putting up anything "Christian", as a bad thing on this site, just  to counter anything put up about "Islam" ? jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
6.1.6  Old Hermit  replied to  It Is ME @6.1    5 years ago
I dont approve of the ritual, but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes. 

Not unfortunate at all.

It's real, isn't it ?

The use of flails and self crucifixion by some Christians or baby dropping rituals by some Hindus are also real.

Because some religions have some parishioners who carry out bizarre rituals do we then move every member of those religions into the human animal column as well, like this article encourages us do with all Muslims?

original

original

throwbaby.bmp

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Old Hermit @6.1.6    5 years ago

Thanks !

Re-Read comment 6.1.5. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

I know Krish and he is not anti-Muslim. But this is a good example of extremism at it's worst, and no healthy western society should want this. 

And by the same token, we have run articles about sects of Christians who deny health care to their children, which is also extremism. Our society should have no tolerance for any of this, and all of this should be condemned. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3    5 years ago

In isolation there is nothing wrong with the article. But there are anti-Muslims on this site, you know it and I know it.  This seed is like a catnip for them. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.3.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.1    5 years ago

John,

Daily, many faiths get it on this site. It is a discussion site. And this holiday is going on right now. It is news and it is horrific. 

Notice I put up a qualifier that the Sunni don't do this. Are they not Muslims?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.3.2    5 years ago
No one is anti-Muslim.

kansasmelting.gif

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.3.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.4    5 years ago

It’s all good. I thought you were anti-Mormon in 2012 when Romney was running. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.3    5 years ago
 Notice I put up a qualifier that the Sunni don't do this. Are they not Muslims?

And FWIW, less than 20% of the world's Muslims are Shia.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.3.5    5 years ago

Everyone needs a purpose in life. Dog the Bounty Hunter,  Gerbil the bigot hunter.

Rumour has it that some people in Seattle-- event hunt-- MUSHROOMS!

Mushroom hunting in Seattle area

(You've gotta be quick though-- when frightened Mushrooms can move faster than you've ever imagined!!!)

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.1    5 years ago

This seed is like a catnip for them. 

And here all along I suspected it might have been  CAVIAR TO THE GENERAL!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.3.2    5 years ago

John has a real problem in being able to distinguish between those who disdain the extremist Islamists and those who praise Muslim reformers. I have been victimized by him in that regard as much as anyone.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
6.3.12  al Jizzerror  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.3.7    5 years ago
we elected a Muslim president

That's a fucking LIE.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

I am anti anyone who would harm a child in this manner.  I don't care what race or religion they are.  Wrong is wrong.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago
"I dont approve of the ritual, but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes."

LOL.  Says the NT member who presents Trump-bashing articles almost every day to foment anti-Trump attitudes.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.6    5 years ago

I wouldnt expect anything less from someone who habitually seeds from an anti-Muslim site Buzz. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.6.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6.6.1    5 years ago

It's not anti-Muslim, it's anti-radical Islamist. It PRAISES Muslim reformers, just as I do. It's only those who support Islamists and ignore the creeping Caliphate (which is pervading Europe already) or misled Social Justice Warriors and BDS supporters who slander that site. Of course slandering it might be because of its completely justifiable support of Israel's existence.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.6.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6.6.1    5 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say that I was amused by your using a rather unusual expression "I wouldn't expect anything less...."  which echoes Major Strassa (Conrad Veidt) in the movie Casablanca, wherein he said "I expected nothing less."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    5 years ago

Critical thinking is good; people should make use of that mental faculty.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @8    5 years ago

Critical thinking is good; people should make use of that mental faculty.

WTF?

Don't you know that critical thinking is forbidden on social media sites? jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @8.1    5 years ago

I am not referring to social media participants, I am referring to people who cut open their heads, their kid's heads and other bat-shit crazy acts.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9  Freefaller    5 years ago

Religious nutbars

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
11  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

I can't help but think how much further along humanity would be, and how much better the world would be without all forms of organized religion.

Faith is nothing more than self imposed ignorance..... Crack a physics book if you want to have faith in something.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @11    5 years ago
I can't help but think how much further along humanity would be, and how much better the world would be without all forms of organized religion.

Quakers? Jainism? Amish? Ba'hai? The Yezidis? The Sikhs? Taoism?

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
12  al Jizzerror    5 years ago

Fortunately the vast majority of Muslims do NOT participate in these bloody Ashura rituals.

I think these masochists have the right to cut and beat themselves butt they should be universally condemned for their fucking child abuse.

Please DO NOT watch the following video if you are squeamish.  The video shows how disgusting religious fanatics can be.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
13  Sunshine    5 years ago

Why is the government letting this happen?  

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
13.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  Sunshine @13    5 years ago
Why is the government letting this happen?

What government?

Ashura rituals (in various forms) happen in many countries including here in the U.S.

The ritual in the U.S. is just self flagellation with NO children involved.  This religious masochism is protected by the 1st Amendment.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
13.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  al Jizzerror @13.1    5 years ago
What government?

Any or all that allow children to be harmed.

Those men are just dancing and patting themselves not cutting.