╌>

Son of 9/11 victim addresses Ilhan Omar during memorial: 'Show respect in honoring them, please'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cms5  •  5 years ago  •  154 comments

Son of 9/11 victim addresses Ilhan Omar during memorial: 'Show respect in honoring them, please'
"Today I am here to respond to you exactly who did what to whom. Madam, objectively speaking, we know who and what was done," Haros Jr. said on Wednesday. "There is no uncertainty about that. Why your confusion?"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

During Wednesday's 9/11 Memorial and Museum ceremony in New York to honor the lives lost 18 years ago, one victim's family member had a message for freshman Congresswoman Ilhan Omar.

Nicholas Haros Jr., whose mother Frances Haros was killed in the World Trade Center at age 76, wore a black T-shirt with the words "Some people did something" as he read a list of victims' names, including his mother's.

"Today I am here to respond to you exactly who did what to whom. Madam, objectively speaking, we know who and what was done," Haros Jr. said on Wednesday. "There is no uncertainty about that. Why your confusion?"

Haros Jr.'s comments are a reference to a  controversial statement  made by the Minnesota representative, who said while speaking about the Muslim community's resilience in the face of discrimination that "[Council of American-Islamic Relations] was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1  seeder  cms5    5 years ago

Well said sir!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    5 years ago

I think it's disrespectful of him to wear that stupid T-shirt and to call out Ms. Omar.  It's about the victims, not Ms. Omar or him.  

cms5
Freshman Quiet
4.1  seeder  cms5  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago

He is a victim. His mother was killed in that horrific attack and Ms. Omar's words cut not only him, but all other people who lost loved ones on that day.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  cms5 @4.1    5 years ago

His mother was the victim.  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    5 years ago

You don't think the families of those killed were victims? They suffered the worst and continue to. It won't happen but you owe Mr Harros and all the other victims famiies a huge apology

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.3    5 years ago

I owe them nothing.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    5 years ago
His mother was the victim.

So you think that losing a parent in such a horrendous way does not make the children victims?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bugsy @4.1.5    5 years ago

Obviously Tessylo is a supporter of Ilhan Omar and of what she said.  I would just leave it be - we can all be judged by our words.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago
I think it's disrespectful of him to wear that stupid T-shirt and to call out Ms. Omar.

It was disrespectful for "AMERICAN? Congresswomen" Omar to "minimalize" the ones that actually murdered Americans. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago
stupid T-shirt and to call out Ms. Omar. 

Her dismissing what happened that day was disrespectful to the victims.  Apparently Omar is too stupid to understand this.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @4.3    5 years ago

This is from a commentary on a conservative / libertarian website, Reason. 

The plain truth is this: Omar's comments may sound flippant when taken out of context, but they were nowhere near as offensive as the right made them out to be— and Trump's tweet, though thoughtless and unfair, did not represent any kind of violent threat. Everybody who got worked up about Omar was stoking unfounded outrage. And they were doing it hypocritically, since this is the kind of thing each side tends to hate when the other side does it.

Here is the full context of Omar's remarks, delivered at a Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) event last month:

Here's the truth. For far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen. Frankly, I'm tired of it. And every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it. CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.

"Some people did something" is not the most sensitive way to describe 9/11, but the right—and the Trump tweet, specifically—made it sound like that was  all  she had said. She wasn't minimizing the tragedy; she was suggesting that what some Muslims did threatened all Muslim Americans' civil liberties.  Omar was arguably incautious with her choice of words (and CAIR was actually founded in the 1990s), but those who dragged her for this were engaged in" patriotic correctness, " a right-wing variety of political correctness.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.2  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.1    5 years ago

We all know the context...doesn't change a thing.  

Many Muslims died that day too. 

CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something 

Those words should not have been expressed by a US Senator. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.3.3  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.1    5 years ago
CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.

She lied !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.2    5 years ago
We all know the context...doesn't change a thing.  

It changes it quite a bit.  You would never get the proper context from Trump though. 

-

Ilhan Omar is not a U.S. senator.   She is a Representative in the House. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.4    5 years ago
'Ilhan Omar is not a U.S. senator.   She is a Representative in the House.'

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3.6  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.4    5 years ago
 She is a Representative in the House. 

Yes, my error I meant Congresswoman.  Does that change anything?  She still should have not said it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @4.3.6    5 years ago

Oh, is that what you meant to say?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.9  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

I dont know what her thinking was on CAIR. 

I do know that her words "some people" were taken out of context by Trump and others. REASON is a conservative/libertarian publication and their columnist said she was taken out of context. Get over it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.11  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago
I have no words

Not a shock. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.3.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.9    5 years ago
I do know that her words "some people" were taken out of context by Trump and others.

No John, you were wrong. If she was a righteous Muslim (as she pretends to be), she should have said, "Islamic terrorists took down the WTC, and all the Muslim population got blamed." That is the way a congresswoman speaks. 

And CAIR was not formed because of that. 

She is a hate monger.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.3.12    5 years ago

Well, like I said up the thread, the publication Reason, which is a conservative/libertarian magazine/website, had an op ed which points out that she WAS taken out of context, and exactly why and how.  "Some" people" was a counterpoint to "all"  Muslims , a group that she says then felt anti-Muslim backlash.  If one just looks at the text of her speech it is pretty obvious what she meant. 

I am not a fan of hers, I dont agree with her BDS and she has made statements about Israel that could be construed as anti-semitic. 

But she is not a "leader" of the Democratic Party, that is nonsense. 

I just try to take each case on its own merit, and I dont see her comment "some people did something" as being hate speech. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.17  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

[DELETE]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.3.18  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @4.3.17    5 years ago
deleted for context by Charger 383

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
4.3.20  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to    5 years ago
I thought that kind of personal insult was a no-no.

Yeah but it is JR, the rules don't apply to him...  /S

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.21  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sunshine @4.3    5 years ago
"Apparently Omar is too stupid to understand this."

What bothers me is not so much HER stupidity, but the stupidity of those who allow her to remain as a member of important governmental committees and the stupidity of those who elected her, and those Democrat Congressmen who defended her antisemitism, especially the Jewish Congressmen.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.3.23  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.21    5 years ago

Party before country, religion, and everything else it seems.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3.25  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.21    5 years ago

What ever happened to that she married her brother thing anyway?  If it is true, she should have gotten a pink slip from every moron who voted her in.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago

There's an old saying , "people do what they want" . I wouldnt think what he said is really appropriate for a memorial ceremony, but other people will say it is and it doesnt matter one way or another. He wanted to say it and he did.

Ilhan Omar was careless when she made the statement "some people did something" in reference to the 9/11 attacks that killed thousands of people, but when you see her words in context of her entire speech that night, they are not as callous or as bad as right wing commentators would have everyone believe. The theme of her remarks was Islamophobia , and the "some" in her comment refers to the fact that "some" people committed this crime and mass murder, and then all Muslims were painted with that brush as killers or terrorists. The word "some" was used as the counterpoint to the word "all" and vice versa.  It was a poor use of words, but in context it was not at all as bad as it was made to sound by her detractors. 

Ilhan Omar should probably spend some time trying to mend fences with the types of Americans who dont trust or like her, because when you are in Congress you really need to find common ground with people. 

cms5
Freshman Quiet
4.4.1  seeder  cms5  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4    5 years ago
The theme of her remarks was Islamophobia

I believe we all understood what her 'theme' was. She chose to minimize the horror of the tragedy to promote her 'theme'...and claimed that CAIR was founded after 9/11 to punctuate that 'theme'.

Omar's poor choice of words not only cut into victims of that horrific tragedy, but into many Americans who will never forget that day.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.2  JohnRussell  replied to  cms5 @4.4.1    5 years ago

Trump and others made it sound like the word "some" in her statement was a throwaway word meant to  minimize the attack.  The actual context shows that was not the case. "Some" was meant to be in comparison to "all".   Its not that complicated. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.4.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.2    5 years ago
Trump and others made it sound like the word "some" in her statement was a throwaway word meant to  minimize the attack.

I'm no Trumper, but I was there. It minimizes the horror of that day. You have no idea... just no idea what it was like to be there. And to sum it up as some people did some thing is just gross. 

I dread today, every year. I don't put on the TV all day. I can't even look at anything to do with that event. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.3    5 years ago
It minimizes the horror of that day. You have no idea... just no idea what it was like to be there. And to sum it up as some people did some thing is just gross. 

And the experience of people like you is why she got in trouble. It is offensive to many people. 

But the text of her speech indicates that the offense was unintentional. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.4.5  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.2    5 years ago
minimize the attack. 

Because she did.  Classic liberal playbook. Omar was trying to portray that all the Muslims in the US where the true victims because of that day.  They are the ones who have had to suffer. They are the ones who have had to endure the fallout of the attack.  

Truly disgusting.

Most of us, including the man wearing the tshirt, understand what her agenda is and he isn't going to let anyone forget who the true victims are.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @4.4.5    5 years ago
Omar was trying to portray that all the Muslims in the US where the true victims because of that day.  They are the ones who have had to suffer. They are the ones who have had to endure the fallout of the attack.   Truly disgusting.

To the best of my knowledge, her speech that day wasnt about 9/11, it was about islamophobia.  That probably explains why one got most of her attention and the other didnt. . 

If you dont want to believe me, listen to this guy. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.4.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.4    5 years ago

I have read that speech over and over and I showed you how she should have said it and didn't. Don't victim blame, John. Yes, those of us who were there, will never forget the horror we saw.. and only her stupid mouth got her in trouble.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.7    5 years ago
and only her stupid mouth got her in trouble.

I agree her words got her in trouble.  maybe she is Trump like in that way. 

Many intelligent thoughtful people believe her words were taken out of context. 

Here is a video that shows more of her comments in context. The topic of her speech was not 9/11, it was her opinion that Muslims in America face discrimination.  Only in the context of the whole speech does her "some people did something" phrase seem less significant to her original point. When you watch her actually say the words, it looks like she said the "some people" phrase without giving the wording any thought at all. Her concentration was on something else. 

Why cant we all just deal with reality instead of seeing what we want to see? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.4.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.2    5 years ago
"Some" was meant to be in comparison to "all".   Its not that complicated.

So, if people blame all gun owners for mass shootings, it's okay then? Sounds like it with your spin on logic. "Some people committed mass shootings" so liberals spew disdain to all gun owners (usually referred to "gun nutters") for the actions of a few and want to make sure that "all of us (gun owners) were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.11  JohnRussell  replied to  gooseisgone @4.4.9    5 years ago

I guess you can believe whatever you want. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.4.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.8    5 years ago

John,

This is why I don't get involved with partisan politics. You will defend her to the very end, when everything that has been presented to you, you decline to validify. 

She is a dem and that is all you care about. 

What I care about is a thoughtful representative who takes into consideration what her job is supposed to be about. Representing all the people, not just the ones who matter to her, on the backs of others. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.4.10    5 years ago

I think you are badly twisting your analogy out of shape.  I dont see all gun owners being blamed for a mass shooting. Maybe the NRA, but not "all gun owners". 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.4.16  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.12    5 years ago

I guess I made a mistake trying to engage you in a discussion of this. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.4.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.14    5 years ago
I dont see all gun owners being blamed for a mass shooting. Maybe the NRA, but not "all gun owners". 

Then why oh why are we talking restrictions being placed on all owners or perspective owners? As it is with their history and the feelings that a minority of Muslims are deathly against the US, who is to say who the next Muslim terrorist is going to be? Same with guns. How do we know who the next mass shooter is going to be? The left wants to make it a generalization when it comes to mass shootings not even knowing for sure who is next in line. The feelings after 9/11 were pretty knee jerk to blame all Muslims and THAT sir, is the same thing that happens after a mass shooting. Quit defending what she said.............or not. Your choice of course.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.4.18  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.2    5 years ago

This is not about Trump, it is about a callous and ill timed statement by Ilhan Omar and the victims of 9/11, therefore you are off topic and deflecting to beat the band on this one John. Context had nothing to do with it! You should just quit while you are behind!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.4.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.16    5 years ago
"I guess I made a mistake trying to engage you in a discussion of this."

Why, because she didn't agree with you?   LOL.  Yes you did.  Because at least Perrie is capable of seeing both sides of a story and choosing what she considers is right, notwithstanding that it may be contrary to whatever she may have normally agreed with.  She is NOT a stubborn mule who refuses to admit when another person's argument is logical and makes common sense.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.4.21    replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.12    5 years ago

How true. if Omar murdered a Jew John would defend her.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.4.22  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4.4.8    5 years ago

I agree with you John 1000%

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.4.23  Willjay9  replied to  gooseisgone @4.4.9    5 years ago

Jeez! Trump claimed to have seen Muslimd dancing in the streets during 9/11 but yet you all are harping over a minute fact that she didnt know when CAIR was founded??!! 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.4.24  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @4.4.22    5 years ago

Of course you do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.4.25  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.4.3    5 years ago

I just watch movies all day.  I won't even watch the local news.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.4.26  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.4.25    5 years ago

You're a true movie maven.  I watch at least one movie almost every day, often two and sometimes even three. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.5  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago
I think it's disrespectful of him to wear that stupid T-shirt

Of course you do.

What about Omars comments?

He had a platform to voice his opinion just like she did, except his audience wasn't a bunch of left wing apologist.

#NeverForget. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.5.1  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @4.5    5 years ago

This is about the victims who died that day.  Not about this guy or Ms. Omar.  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.5.3  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @4.5.1    5 years ago

No it is about all the victims of that horrific day. Why are you trying to defend her in defensible statement?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.5.4  Tessylo  replied to  arkpdx @4.5.3    5 years ago

This is not about Omar or this guy.  It's about the victims.  

user image
Freshman Silent
4.5.5    replied to  Tessylo @4.5.4    5 years ago

4.1.3 arkpdy replied  to Tessylo 4.1.2

You don't think the families of those killed were victims? They suffered the worst and continue to. It won't happen but you owe Mr Harros and all the other victims famiies a huge apology

4.1.4 Tessylo replied to arkpdx 4.1.3

I owe them nothing. 

This is not about Omar or this guy.  It's about the victims.

To whom you feel you owe nothing. [Deleted]

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.6  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago
It's about the victims, not Ms. Omar or him.  

But he is a victim . . . if your mother was killed when "somebody did something" like that...don't you think you have emotional scars for life? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @4.6    5 years ago

Again, taken out of context.  

I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Waste of time

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.6.2  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @4.6.1    5 years ago
I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Somehow I find this to be not true.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.6.3  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @4.6.2    5 years ago

Please refer to what John said at 4.3.1. . . And apply liberally

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.6.4  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @4.6.3    5 years ago
And apply liberally

You mean you want my IQ to drop 20 points?

Sorry, I will never apply anything "liberally". I enjoy being intelligent.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.6.5  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @4.6.4    5 years ago
'I enjoy being intelligent.'

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.6.6  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @4.6.5    5 years ago

Thanks for making my point.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

I wonder if this guy is aware that trump sold Saudi Arabia 1.7 billion dollars worth of weapons. 14 of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. But he is worried about Omar, "saying something disrespectful"? Wow. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

Great point.  The fact that Saudi Arabia bought weapons makes it completely appropriate for a Ohmer to minimize 9/11.

so go ahead, mock or minimize 9/11 all you want because, Trump!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.3    5 years ago

Thanks I am glad you agree that selling the people responsible for 9/11 1.7 billion dollars in weapons is probably a lot more offensive than anything Omar could possibly say. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.2  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @5.3.1    5 years ago
selling the people responsible for 9/11 1.7 billion dollars in weapons

The people responsible for 9/11 are all dead-- they died on those planes. And to my knowlege we sold the weapons to the Saudi government, not to the hijackers.

I've read a lot about whether or not the actual Saudi government was behind the hijacking (those are the people we sell the weapons to-- not the hijackers).

Was the government responsible for the attack? There's a lot of "evidence" arguing they were-- and also they weren't. So fat I haven't seen any irrefutable evidence the government was behind the hijacking (although its possible they were). Its a controversial topic-- and there are a lot of people who have a vested interest in proving they were-- also a lot who have an interest in proving they weren't!!!

Its possible we'll never know.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.3.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @5.3.1    5 years ago

Credit where credit is due. You are the king of the logical fallacy and whataboutism..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.3.2    5 years ago

Those who planned 9/11 were not necessarily on those planes. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago
I wonder if this guy is aware that trump

Of course you do, I'm Just trying to figure out what Trump has to do with 9/11 or Omars disgusting comments.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @5.4    5 years ago

the photo isnt any funnier than the last time you posted it

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.4.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @5.4.1    5 years ago

When all they have is a moronic meme, what else can you expect? Perhaps it's the lead in the water in Flint that makes them forget they already posted it ten times this week...

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.4.2    5 years ago
Perhaps it's the lead in the water in Flint that makes them forget

Wow making a mockery of the people of Flint who have suffered from Democratic leadership.

How Liberal of you.

FYI just because I have Michigan in my name doesn't mean I'm from Flint, Again what a disgusting comment belittling those who have suffered from tainted city water..

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.4.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  KDMichigan @5.4.3    5 years ago
the people of Flint who have suffered from Democratic leadership.

"Former Republican Governor Rick Snyder and his administration were widely blamed for the mistakes that led to the crisis, with numerous people calling for his resignation."

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.4.5  Sunshine  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.4.4    5 years ago

It was Flint's officials decisions that led to the contamination.  To save funds they decided not to treat the water properly.  Last night there was a program about this on Frontline.  You should try and watch it, you may learn something and read your own link too.

Those of us who live in Michigan have been following and reading about it for years.  

Of course those who are really to blame want to point fingers elsewhere.

Many people have suffered and children will have lifetime medical problems because of it.  It isn't something to joke about.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.4.6  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.4.4    5 years ago

This falls squarely at the feet of republican 'leadership' who seriously dropped the ball to gain a few bucks at the expense of their constituents.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4.7  KDMichigan  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.4.4    5 years ago

WIKI jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

What does that got to do with you belittling those that suffered in Flint trying to get a failed dig at me? Absolutely nothing.

Democrats have robbed the city of Flint blind and continue to do so. 

And what Sunshine said, it was City officals that decided to save a few hundred bucks and not treat the water.

Officials neglected to add corrosion controls to the Flint River water, causing it to leach the city’s lead pipes.
This led to the possible exposure to dangerous levels of lead in the drinking water, which can result in damage to the heart and kidneys, decreased fertility and Legionnaires' disease.

But enough about Flint, It has nothing to do with your disgusting comments belittling the victims of the DEMORATS leadership. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.4.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @5.4.6    5 years ago
This falls squarely at the feet of republican 'leadership' who seriously dropped the ball to gain a few bucks at the expense of their constituents. 

Not necessarily true Mary..........................

"

Two months after the Flint River switch, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling declared to MLive.com that ‘it’s a quality, safe product. … I think people are wasting their precious money buying bottled water.’ "

Local offices in Flint are officially nonpartisan, but Walling was a Democrat. So too was Andy Dillon, the state treasurer who signed off on the water changes (and who was a cross-party appointee of Snyder).

Meanwhile, the Environmental Protection Agency -- during the administration of President Barack Obama -- has come in for criticism as well. A July 2015 email by a regional EPA administrator apologized for the warnings by the EPA’s own employee, Del Toral, and called them an "unvetted draft." Despite senior EPA officials’ delays in taking Del Toral’s warnings seriously, they were ultimately determined to have been accurate.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4.9  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @5.4.6    5 years ago

Prove it.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.4.10  1stwarrior  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.4.2    5 years ago

Quite a bit off topic, doncha think????

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.4.11  Ronin2  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.4.4    5 years ago

With all the Michiganders here, maybe you should try doing some research. We had to live it, and live with the costs.

Maybe you should ask Detroit- another bastion of Democratic stupidity and corruption why they decided to cut Flint off from their water supply; after Flint decided to join KWA. It wasn't like Detroit wasn't exceedingly desperate for money and facing their own bankruptcy.  Oh, and the city council members voted for switching the over their water to the Flint River every step of the way. Also, all of the Emergency Managers appointed by Snyder to Flint were Democrats.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  KDMichigan @5.4.3    5 years ago

Don't want your city run by an affiliation you are against, then quit voting them in.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4.13  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.4.12    5 years ago
Don't want your city run by an affiliation you are against, then quit voting them in.

What? Flint is not the topic and I'm done with talking about it, If you want to discuss Flint and their 50 years of leadership please start a seed and I'll be more than happy to comment on it.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.4.15  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @5.4    5 years ago

[Deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.4.16  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @5.4.1    5 years ago

You mean the last 50 times. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.4.17  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @5.4.15    5 years ago

Your kidding me right? Did you even read what you posted Mr But Trump?

or  off-topic  messages in an  online community 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  KDMichigan @5.4.13    5 years ago

You are the one who mentioned Flint in #5.4.7.  I don't plan on any other comments regarding it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.5  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

I winder if you complained when Obama sold billions in arms to SA?

I'm betting you were silent as a churchmouse then!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

" I wonder if this guy is aware that trump sold Saudi Arabia 1.7 billion dollars worth of weapons."

" U.S. President Barack Obama’s administration has offered Saudi Arabia more than $115 billion in weapons, other military equipment and training, the most of any U.S. administration in the 71-year U.S.-Saudi alliance, a report seen by Reuters has found."

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.7  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

Obama sold Saudi Arabia weapons as well, as did Bush Jr.

U.S. President Barack Obama’s administration has offered Saudi Arabia more than $115 billion in weapons, other military equipment and training, the most of any U.S. administration in the 71-year U.S.-Saudi alliance, a report seen by Reuters has found.

US president George W. Bush is to promise $20 billion in advanced weaponry to Saudi Arabia as he travels through the Gulf states to garner support for further sanctions against Iran.

So why wouldn't Trump do so as well?

The resolutions, connected to a proposed $8.1 billion U.S. sale set to include precision-guided bombs and related components, were meant to reassert Congress’s oversight role.

If you want to having a pissing contest Obama is is several times worse than either Bush Jr or Trump.

Funny, the left was damn silent for Obama's blockbuster deal.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.7.1  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @5.7    5 years ago
Obama sold Saudi Arabia weapons as well, as did Bush Jr.

So what you are saying that trump is as bad as Obama? Or as good? What's your point? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.7.2  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @5.7.1    5 years ago
So what you are saying that trump is as bad as Obama? Or as good?

That's not a question of fact-- its a question of opinion! (Whether a person thinks selling weapons to SA was a good thing to do-- or a bad thing).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.7.3  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @5.7.1    5 years ago

The point being (I can't really believe you missed it) that it is hypocritical and rather silly to whine about Trump selling arms to Saudi Arabia after remaining silent on it when Obama did it much more.

I'm going to give you credit for knowing that already.

Don't disappoint me.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.7.4  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @5.7.2    5 years ago

Thank you.

That is the point exactly.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.8  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago
I wonder if this guy is aware that trump sold Saudi Arabia 1.7 billion dollars worth of weapons. 14 of the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.

By any chance are you aware that Obama did as well? 

Just curious-- why do  people judge whether weapon sales are right or wrong based on which American political party is in power? (Isn't that a rather hypocritical double standard? Or...if I'm  missing something something here I'd like to know what it is???)

The long history of U.S. arms sales to Saudi Arabia

News of the disappearance of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul last week has prompted numerous lawmakers on both sides of the aisle to urge the Trump administration to halt U.S.-Saudi arm sales and reevaluate a decades-long alliance that has enabled the Gulf nation’s bad behavior.

President Donald Trump, however, shot down the possibility Thursday, telling reporters he is unwilling to give up the billions of dollars in funding from the U.S.-Saudi arms deal reached in May 2017.

[...]

But there's also this:

Obama’s administration oversaw the largest U.S.-Saudi arms deals in American history.

WTF???

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.8.2  MrFrost  replied to  Krishna @5.8    5 years ago
By any chance are you aware that Obama did as well? 

Yes I am fucking aware, thanks. Guess that makes it all ok for Trump to do it and invite his taliban buddies here to celebrate 9/11. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.8.3  Krishna  replied to    5 years ago
Go back up the thread and see who started the "whatabout-ism

Yes.

Thanks for the information. (But I posted it before I saw someone else did previously.).

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.8.4  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @5.8.2    5 years ago
Guess that makes it all ok for Trump to do it and invite his taliban buddies here to celebrate 9/11. 

No one is saying that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

I don't know if she has apologized for the comment, but she should.

Whether she intended it or not, her words had the effect of seeming to minimize the tragedy and heartbreak suffered by the victims and survivors of 9/11. And "survivors" includes all of us. I really can't remember anything in my lifetime that struck at the heart of this country the way the 9/11 attacks did. While I was concerned about civil liberties as the Patriot Act was crafted, you can't just blithely dismiss the pain of 9/11 the way her comment seemed to.

If she does acknowledge this and apologize, I think people could and should move on.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

Just saw where the backlash must have gotten to her. She has changed her point to "It affected all of us". Now, with the comments ^^^^^^^^^^^^ up there, I wonder if she was talking us as in nation or all of us Muslims? Context that.............................

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
9  Citizen Kane-473667    5 years ago
Go fuck yourself

Oh look!  ANOTHER special kind of person that doesn't have to follow the rules either. LOL!  /S