╌>

Trump's Air Force Nominee Says No Need To Ban Stays At Trump Hotels

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  14 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

710c91c0-4b9c-11e7-8912-374be9390b1b_H-1   Ja'han Jones, HuffPost   17 hours ago  

5d7ab373230000580552270b.jpeg

President  Donald Trump ’s nominee to head the U.S. Air Force told senators at her confirmation hearing Thursday she wouldn’t specifically ban members of the military branch from spending taxpayer funds at the president’s properties.

During a tense  exchange  with Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Barbara Barrett refused to tell the Senate Armed Services Committee whether she thinks it is inappropriate for Air Force personnel to spend government funds at Trump-owned businesses. A recent  report  from Politico detailed numerous instances in which air crews lodged at the president’s struggling Turnberry Resort in Scotland as they traveled from the U.S. to the Middle East.

“It seems that we should have generic rules and regulations that look to the best value and the best acquisition, and those rules should be enforced equally,” Barrett said. She added that such rules wouldn’t be “specific to any particular owner.”

When Blumenthal asked specifically about presidential self-dealing and pressed Barrett on the possibility Trump is violating the Constitution by the ways in which money is flowing to his properties, Barrett repeated her comment about the need for generic rules and regulations.

Barrett told Blumenthal she would comply with his request for a “complete accounting” of Air Force expenditures at Trump properties if she wins Senate confirmation to the branch’s top position.

In a Sept. 9 tweet, Trump denied having anything to do with members of the Air Force staying at his hotel in Scotland ― while adding that they had “good taste” in doing so.

5d7ab557230000e90352285f.jpeg

The Air Force has since  launched an investigation  into how it chooses airports to land at and lodging accommodations during international travel.

Ethics watchdogs and Democrats in Congress have been sounding the alarm about Trump potentially using the presidency to enrich himself, given that he refused to divest himself of his business holdings upon taking office. Several reports have detailed instances in which  foreign governments U.S. companies  and  U.S. officials  have spent money at Trump’s resorts since he became president.

The practice was spotlighted last month when Vice President  Mike Pence  stayed at the Trump resort Doonbeg, Ireland, while on a state visit to that country. The hotel is 180 miles from Dublin, where Pence’s meetings with Irish leaders took place.

Two lawsuits were filed charging that Trump has violated the Constitution’s “emoluments” clause, which prevents federal officeholders from accepting payments from foreign governments without congressional consent. One of those suits was  dismissed in July   by a federal appeals court panel.

Trump picked Barrett, a former aerospace executive and diplomat, to replace Heather Wilson, who resigned as the Air Force chief earlier this year to become president of the University of Texas at El Paso.

Love HuffPost? Become a founding member of HuffPost Plus today.

This article originally appeared on  HuffPost .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Of course, which is why she's the nominee.  How much is she being paid to say that?  Bitch.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

Yep, that is the key word right there.....HIS.  I never would have been against the stay at the resort if Trump had just said No Charge for either the lodging or food.  I would have viewed it as doing something decent for the NG and gave him a very rare Atta Boy.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    5 years ago
if Trump had just said No Charge

He's not running the company right now, so he's not in a position to say anything about what they are charged.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.1    5 years ago
He's not running the company right now,

yea, and i'm sure NOTHING is EVER discussed between his sons and he...

Trump is directing our tax dollars towards his bank account, plain and simple.

There ought to be a LAW....

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.2    5 years ago

I'd be plenty upset about this stuff if there was actual evidence of wrongdoing, but so far there isn't. It's just a lot of wild accusations and innuendo from partisan opponents.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.3    5 years ago
I'd be plenty upset about this stuff if there was actual evidence of wrongdoing, but so far there isn't.

Would you care to provide evidence of the Air Force using Trump owned properties BEFORE he became POTUS?  In fact, prior to Trump, the financially troubled airport that the Air Force is now making regular stops at, just happens to be essential for the Trump owned property nearby.  Thankfully, for them, the added business of the US Air Force is helping to stabilize the previously failing airport.

Back in 2014, soon after acquiring a golf resort in Scotland, Donald J. Trump entered a partnership with a struggling local airport there to increase air traffic and boost tourism in the region.

US military flights to the airport near Trump's Turnberry resort have doubled since he took office

The Department of Defense (DoD) has spent more than $17 million on fuel at Scotland’s Glasgow Prestwick Airport since US president Donald Trump’s election, according to federal spending data. That’s a 100% increase from what the DoD spent at Prestwick before Trump’s election, the records show, and about $6 million more than the House Oversight and Reform Committee is now reportedly investigating as a conflict of interest and possible Constitutional violation.

Earlier this month, we learned the Pentagon was investigating the curious case of Air Force members patronizing Donald Trump’s Scottish golf course after refueling at a nearby airport rather than a military base, which would have been cheaper.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.4    5 years ago
Would you care to provide evidence of the Air Force using Trump owned properties BEFORE he became POTUS? 

Why should I? I never claimed they did or did not.

helping to stabilize the previously failing airport

You got something against that airport? Is there some reason they shouldn't use it?

If you have links of cause and effect between Trump's actions and some kind of corruption, then by all means produce it so we can all see it. But so far, all you have presented is coincidence and the innuendo I mentioned above.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.6    5 years ago
Well hot fucking damn.  Who would have thought that Prestwick got contracts with the US Military under the auspices of the OBAMA administration.   So, how much more wrong can you prove to be, again?

Meaningless, we have military contracts worldwide for use of airports. 

Care to explain why the use of that particular airport has doubled under Trump?

Care to explain why, under Trump, military personnel are being sent to a Trump owned hotel instead of the nearby military base like they did under previous administrations?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.1    5 years ago

He owns the golf resort....his own words.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago
the Constitution’s “emoluments” clause, which prevents federal officeholders from accepting payments from foreign governments

It's hard to see how American servicemen would qualify as a "foreign government."

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

Well, to a great deal of progressive leftist liberals, the United States military are just like foreigners who do not speak the same language....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

It's funny listening to Liberals bitch and moan about the "emoluments clause" when it comes to Trump ….. but they "Conveniently" forget that Trump came into Washington as an "-aire", where the others in congress always seem to come out of Washington as "-aires".

I'd be more interested in the "Others" !

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

The only airs that Trump exhibits is when he lets one.