╌>

Gun Violence Video PSA: "Back-To-School Essentials - Sandy Hook Promise"

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  65 comments

Gun Violence Video PSA: "Back-To-School Essentials - Sandy Hook Promise"
Survive the school year with these must-have back to school essentials.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Survive the school year with these must-have back to school essentials. https://www.sandyhookpromise.org

A chilling new ad spot by Sandy Hook Promise depicts kids showing off their new “back to school” gear while a mass shooting suddenly erupts around them and—be warned—it’s a tough watch.

It’s the latest public-service announcement from the group that was set up to help protect children from gun violence in the aftermath of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary on Dec. 14, 2012. The Connecticut massacre claimed the lives of 20 first-graders and six adult staff members.

The video, titled “Back to School Essentials,” shows the kids using their new colored pencils, scissors, and socks to help them as they try to survive a school shooting that’s going on around them. It’s part of Sandy Hook Promise’s “Know the Signs” campaign that aims to warn students, teachers, and parents about the signs that someone is planning a shooting

One student running from a shooter says: “These new sneakers are just what I needed for the new year.” Another wraps her long socks around a bleeding classmate’s leg that has been wounded by a bullet, and says: “These new socks? They can be a real lifesaver.” A third student uses his new skateboard to smash a window in a desperate attempt to escape the shooter.

The terrifying end of the video comes with a girl weeping in a bathroom stall and texting her mom that she loves her before the door creaks opens followed by the sound of approaching footsteps. “I finally got my own phone to stay in touch with my mom,” the student says.

The video, which debuted on  Today  this morning, concludes with the message: “It’s back to school time and you know what that means. School shootings are preventable when you know the signs.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

It’s the latest in a string of powerful PSAs from the group. Last year, it  released a video from the point of view  of a school shooter as everyone around him ignores the warning signs of what he’s planning. Another  mimicked a local news broadcast  about a shooting that’s due to happen the next day with the tagline: “You can stop tomorrow’s shooting.”

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1    replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

I personally think it is disgusting to use tragedies to push a political agenda. I forget people today have no shame. That video is straight fear mongering aimed at people who are lead by pure emotion. I don't vote for more laws just because you made some video meant to shame me into feeling or voting a certain way.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  @1.1    5 years ago
That video is straight fear mongering aimed at people who are lead by pure emotion.

Tell that to the families that have lost children in school shootings. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.1    5 years ago

So is the video gonna bring them back?jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.2    5 years ago

Only going to scare and terrify millions more children who see it on tv.  Can you imagine a five year old seeing that commercial?  

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  @1.1    5 years ago
I don't vote for more laws just because you made some video meant to shame me into feeling or voting a certain way.

You know, you come across a lot better if you actually watched the video before commenting on it!!

(Or at least read the description).

First of all,I did not make that video-- it was made by a groupcalled "Sandy HookPromise". 

Secondly, this video has nothing to do with trying to pass any laws. if you read the descirption you'd know what it was actually about:

“It’s back to school time and you know what that means. School shootings are preventable when you know the signs.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  @1.1    5 years ago
That video is straight fear mongering

Mongering?Well, the fear is already there.

A lot of kids are afraid of going to school-- afraid of being shot.

Especially kids in towns like Sanday Hook.

They don't need no videos to get them scared....

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.1    5 years ago
Tell that to the families that have lost children in school shootings. 

Yes-- and to the kids that witnessed their friends being shot-- from up close!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.2    5 years ago
So is the video gonna bring them back?

No one said the video is going to brink them back!

(Just curious-- [Deleted] Because, think about it-- that comment was not rational-- made no sense whatsoever! :-(

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.3    5 years ago
Can you imagine a five year old seeing that commercial?  

And can you imagine a 5 year old watching his/her best friend having their body being torn to shreds by a bullet from an assualt weapon? Maybe seeing it from a few feet away?

Can you imagine that? On second thought, that's a foolish question-- I'm pretty sure you can't!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Sunshine  replied to  Krishna @1.1.8    5 years ago
I'm pretty sure you can't!

Well that is rather rude.  I wouldn't want that for any child, but is this commercial going to prevent it? It will however traumatize millions of other children. Why do you want that?  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.10  MrFrost  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.2    5 years ago

So is the video gonna bring them back?

Unlikely. That's what those thoughts and prayers are for. The video is an effort to minimize the damage a shooter can do. I know you aren't opposed to that. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.3    5 years ago

Only going to scare and terrify millions more children who see it on tv.  Can you imagine a five year old seeing that commercial?  

Can you imagine the fear that same 5 year old will feel when a shooter kills their classmates, then aims at them? 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Sunshine  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.11    5 years ago
Can you imagine the fear that same 5 year old will feel when a shooter kills their classmates, then aims at them? 

Traumatizing more children is the answer?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.10    5 years ago
The video is an effort to minimize the damage a shooter can do.

Bullshit.

The video is by no means teaches how to minimize the damage a shooter can do. 

• Have on good shoes and be in better shape to so you can outrun your classmates. You don't have to be fast, just faster than most of your classmates.  Look to get behind groups with a large amount of fat kids, or those with disabilities. If you see the shooter first- don’t warn anyone- get a good running head start.  Save yourself!
  • Use your jacket to tie a door shut. Most gymnasiums have far more than just one entrance. Don’t worry about the others. Organization is not important at all.
  • Smash a window and escape- don't worry what floor you are on (There are no classrooms that aren’t on the ground floor). Any fall will hurt you far less than the chance of being shot. 
  • Can't flee. Grab weapons and hide on opposite sides of the door. I am sure those coloring pencils and scissors will work great. Do kids still use compasses? I am sure that the killer won’t see them through that large glass window on the door. Doubt it is bullet proof glass.
  • Socks make great tourniquets. We won’t show you how to do that on this commercial. Lawsuits you know. So just tie the wound and hope that slows the bleeding. Don’t worry about getting out or watching for the shooter. Just stay in that wide open hallway. They never come backtrack looking for the wounded or stragglers. 
  • Can't flee or fight? Hide, but make sure to be very loud. A darkened bathroom stall is perfect. Great acoustics; that insanely bright cell phone screen won’t be a dead give away; and best of all only one entrance/exit and no windows.

I was laughing at the video thinking it was a spoof until the end. I hope they don't seriously try to use this video to train any kids.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.14  Dulay  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.3    5 years ago
Only going to scare and terrify millions more children who see it on tv.  Can you imagine a five year old seeing that commercial?  

Many 5 year olds have actually LIVED through an active shooter drill in there school. 

16 6 year olds and 4 7 year olds were victims @ Sandy Hook. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.15  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.7    5 years ago
No one said the video is going to brink them back!

(This comment actually has a lot of value!)

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.3  Dulay  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

As part of its “Know the Signs” campaign, Sandy Hook Promise has published a  long list of warning signs  to look out for that could give an indication that someone is planning a mass shooting.

As school shootings become more and more common, we need more PSA's ("Public Service Announcements") like this-- knowing the signs of an upcoming mass shooting in your school could save lives!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

Just flat out Dumb ……

Quick ….. Hide under your desks when a nuclear attack comes your way. Now Suzy and Johnny.....let's Practice that before Lunch Time. Ready.....GO UNDER YOUR DESK, Toot Sweet !

That's all I gots ta say ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
Hide under your desks when a nuclear attack comes your way.

No one here is talking about nuclear attacks.

(Sheesh-- don't you ever read something before commenting about it?)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @3.1    5 years ago
No one here is talking about nuclear attacks.

You don't remember the Ol' Duck and Cover Commercials ?

"Duck....and Cover.....Duck....and Cover".....Lalalala !

This NEW one now, is no different !

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    5 years ago
This NEW one now, is no different !

Really ?

cause back then the trhreat was from our major Nuclear threat Russia, the guys who wanted Trumpp to be our President,

now, the threat is from our own damn kids, and some are actually inspired by Russia...

hey wait  a minute, maybe you're on to something,

"the NEW one now, is no different!"

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.2    5 years ago

Just another Russia, Russia, Russia Commercial !

The New "Geopolitcal" foe that Obama dismissed.

Quick ….. "Duck and Cover" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.3    5 years ago

I'm sorry, what again were we ducking and covering from...

American school children ...?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.4    5 years ago
I'm sorry, what again were we ducking and covering from...

Replay the commercial again. sheeeeesh !

Now about the New commercial in the article …… Does Frightening kiddies do it for you ?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
The clear point is a generation grew up with that 'don't look directly at the nuclear blast' bit and I, at least, ain't fucked up. Fucked up.

So the clear point is that you lived during the 'duck and cover' era and weren't traumatized. Guess that proves that the Sandy Hook PSA won't be traumatizing either. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
That's all I gots ta say !

Thank goodness for that! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @3.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    5 years ago

So where in the ad do they talk about the signs?  This isn't a PSA. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

When I was a kid, school shooting drills....never once. Never even heard of a school shooting back then.. Pretty sad that our society has gotten to the point where any and all problems can be solved with a gun. My neighbors daughter has a boyfriend, when he comes over, they sit in the same room, and text each other. Our society is losing the ability to interact with other humans and conflict resolution? "Just grab a gun and start shooting". 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

I agree. **don't faint**

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

Well said MrFrost!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

This ad is going to backfire in a big way as it makes the gun grabbers look like they have completely lost their marbles. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    5 years ago

Actually dean, it's the other side that looks insane when they refuse to do anything, and I mean, NOTHING to stop school shootings...or any mass shootings at all. THAT'S where the insanity is. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    5 years ago

This ad is going to backfire in a big way as it makes the gun grabbers look like they have completely lost their marbles. 

No ones talking about gun grabbing.

Don't you ever read the text of waht you're replying to? Here's the message the ad is trying to convey:

The video, which debuted on  Today  this morning, concludes with the message: “It’s back to school time and you know what that means. School shootings are preventable when you know the signs.”

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Krishna @6.2    5 years ago

Yes it's about knowing the signs!

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    5 years ago

That was just awful. I guess it does get the point across though.

Knowing and not ignoring signs does work. I read an article that a father knew his kid was in a dark place so he called the cops and wanted him arrested before something happened. When the cops found him he was cold and dark and in a very matter of fact tone admitted he was going to hurt people.

Instead of ignoring what his kid was doing he intervened, was aware and very concerned. He more than likely stopped a tragedy from happening.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Ender @7    5 years ago

That was just awful. I guess it does get the point across though.

[...]

Instead of ignoring what his kid was doing he intervened, was aware and very concerned. He more than likely stopped a tragedy from happening.

If would be nice if we could always have a choice between two wonderful possibilities. But unfortunately, sometimes life is not like that :-(

Sometime people need to be shaken up a bit-- or else they don't act. Some some temporary emotional shock is necessary to motivate people to act.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The kid and the backpack reminded me of ads for bulletproff backpacks I've seen a while back. 

Yes-- they do make those things. (And I bet business will only get better-- at least as long as "Moscow Mitch" controls the Senate):

Bulletproof Backpacks and Bags

Sort by         Featured       Best Selling       Alphabetically, A-Z       Alphabetically, Z-A       Price, low to high       Price, high to low       Date, new to old       Date, old to new    

We offer the largest selection of ballistic backpack panels in the world to make your backpack bulletproof!  We partner with the top bag manufactures to ensure that each of our panels is a perfect fit for YOUR bag.

Each of our Level IIIA panels is made of the same material as our Law Enforcement vests.  We proudly make each of our panels in the United States from domestically sourced materials. 🇺🇸

Our panels are TSA approved and civilian legal to own and carry in all 50 states. (LINK)

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @8    5 years ago

This stuff is straight out of that video!

They even have a "Ballistic 3 Ring Binder". 

You can fill it with BullletBlocker Bulletproof 3-Ring Inserts!

(Wow-- I never had these when I went to school! Anyone else have any of this stuff when they went to school?)

The BulletBlocker NIJ IIIA 3-Ring Insert is a high-quality ballistic panel that can be effortlessly clipped into binders, clipboards, and notebooks to covertly make them bullet-resistant.

The lightweight and semi-flexible panel is covered with a durable 420-denier coated nylon sleeve that is rip-resistant and water-repellent. The insert can be quickly and easily interchanged into different products, instantly providing over 100 square inches of protection.

The 3-Ring Insert is the perfect solution for students and workplace professionals alike, providing discreet and vital protection that can be used in emergency situations.

Features and Benefits

• Adds a layer of ballistic protection to your preferred school and work accessories.
    • Ballistic panel weighs only 10 oz. (less than a can of soda).
    • 102 square inches of discreet ballistic protection.
    • Panel is versatile and easily interchanged into multiple products.
    • Nylon sleeve repels water, resists rips, and is easily cleaned.
    • Heavy-duty metal rings.

Ballistics

• Constructed with the latest DuPont™ Kevlar® technologies.
    • Tested to the NIJ IIIA standards stopping a 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 9mm, .45 caliber hollow point ammunition and more.

Specifications

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Krishna @8.1    5 years ago

Wonder how they work with Lake City XM855 5.56 NATO 62 grain steel/green tip armor piercing rounds? Affectionately known as the "penetrator". Out of a 16" barrel, muzzle velocity is over 3,000 feet per second (that's fast). 

Seems this is the round of choice for mass shooters. They are plentiful, fairly inexpensive, accurate and will cut through most bulletproof vests and light armor like butter. This is what Uncle Sam issues to the troops and is widely available online.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
10  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

Great commercial; we need many more that show the scary situation we send our kids into, every single school day. Well done Krishna. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Larry Hampton @10    5 years ago

Well I think its necessary for kids to be prepared!

And perhaps in addition  to various types of armor, kides today should probably be trained in  gun safety-- and the proper use of guns-.

in fact, I think they'd all feel a lot safer if every teacher-- and proably every kid as well -- had an AR-15 or the equivalent stowed in a nearby locker!

If more people had guns (especially more powerful ones) we'd all be a lot safer! 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
11  Sunshine    5 years ago
School shootings are preventable when you know the signs.” 

So what are the signs that make school shootings preventable?  This would be a good message but nothing in the ad states what those signs are.  

Seems the ad is useless in the prevention of school shootings.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sunshine @11    5 years ago
School shootings are preventable when you know the signs.” 
So what are the signs that make school shootings preventable?  This would be a good message but nothing in the ad states what those signs are.  

Its a public Service Announcement. The message? We aren't helpless-- we can act to prevent shootings when we know the signs,

So-- get to know the signs! (

hat never occurred to most people I've spoken to. They never thought about trying to know what the signs are-- nor did it occur to them that they could do anything to prevent shooting. Hopefully this ad will suceed in getting them to think about that.

Its a first step-- anyone who expects one ad to total eliminate a problem is unrealistic...to say the least!

P.S: What ideas have you thought of that might decrease these mass shootings? (Or are you one of the majority who thinks there's nothing we can do-- its just inevitable?)

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
11.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Krishna @11.1    5 years ago
Its a public Service Announcement. The message? We aren't helpless-- we can act to prevent shootings when we know the signs.

Yep, so what are the signs?  Most PSA's tell us information that is helpful. 

The ad says school shootings are preventable if you know the signs.  I would expect a PSA stating school shootings are preventable would tell us the signs.  Otherwise why is it making that statement?  If we can prevent school shootings by knowing the signs, wouldn't it be the most important information in the ad?

Again, preventing school shootings does not really seem to be the intended message of the ad since they left out vital information and is useless except to frighten millions of other children.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @11.1.1    5 years ago
Again, preventing school shootings does not really seem to be the intended message of the ad

No shit, that's because people like Bitch McConnell refuses to bring any legislation to the floor....at all.. None. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
11.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  MrFrost @11.1.2    5 years ago

Ads that claim to be PSA's should be honest about their message then.  So it really isn't about educating the public about the signs of prevention, it is a political ad.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sunshine @11.1.3    5 years ago
So it really isn't about educating the public about the signs of prevention

Sure it is.

Watch the video--- carefully!

Read what it says in the last frame. (The one with the green tree).

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
11.1.5  nightwalker  replied to  Krishna @11.1.4    5 years ago

Pssst Krishna.

The point they're trying to make is that school shootings are to be buried and forgotten (like Jones and his "it never happened") because guns are holy and the spread of that religion must not be impeded. If some people couldn't get guns (guns, sounds like something you played with, toy guns) and the deadliest they can get they would be less manly, and they don't want people to think of such a thing, at all, ever.

However terms like "gun grabbers" are perfectly fine, that's not emotional at all.

Helpful nightwalker

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @11.1.2    5 years ago

Moscow Mitch Putins' little bitch

Moscow Mitch the NRA's little bitch