╌>

Trump visits US-Mexico border wall amid protests

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  48 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

102b4830-25c0-11e7-a66a-23957430fe89_lat   Clark Mindock, The Independent   15 hours ago  

bd825cc2473ed1ded68b25c11070c831

With protests raging nearby,   Donald Trump   has visited a section of the US-Mexico border in   San Diego   to see part of the wall he has hinged his political career on building.

Mr Trump visited the border in the Otay Mesa neighbourhood, the same location he stopped at last year when he reviewed several border wall prototypes that he has prescribed as a major fix for the immigration crisis he claims is threatening American values.

The president called it "an amazing project," according to the Associated Press.

Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters gathered in Southern   California   to demonstrate against his visit, and to push back on the idea that any border crisis truly exists except one that Mr Trump himself has created through a crackdown on asylum seekers and families fleeing violence and poverty in Central America.

Nearly three years into his first term, Mr Trump has pushed forward with construction on his border wall, in spite of pushback from congressional Democrats who have refused to fund much of the project.

Instead, Mr Trump has largely relied on diverted funds from other parts of the government, including the Defence Department and the Homeland Security Department.

While Mr Trump promised that Mexico would pay for the wall, instead some $3.6 billion in military infrastructure money has been raided, undercutting projects across the US from New York to Virginia and the Carolinas. All told, US Customs and Border Protection says it has received $6.2 billion since January 2017 to build the wall.

Among those projects that have had funding taken away include an ambulatory centre in North Carolina; an engineering centre at the US Military Academy in West Point, New York; a cyber-ops facility in Virginia; a fire station in South Carolina; a central heating facility on an Air Force base in Alaska; and a Kentucky middle school.

But, despite Mr Trump’s repeated claims that the US border wall is nearing completion, there actually hasn’t been much movement on creating new wall along the border. Before Mr Trump became president, 654 miles of the nearly 2,000 miles border had some form of fencing or wall on it, and that figure has remained mostly unchanged.

Instead, new construction has largely been to replace existing infrastructure, including with larger fences, bollards, lights, and roads.

Meanwhile, Mr Trump has overseen a crackdown on immigration into the United States, with his administration notably separating families as they cross into the United States seeking asylum.

The administration has also pushed forward with efforts to stop migrants from getting into the United States at all, asking them instead to take a number at the border and to wait until they are called for a chance to have their asylum cases heard.

As a result of those policies and others, US immigration court backlogs have skyrocketed, with over 1 million waiting for their cases to be heard in the most recent tally, matching the highest backlog seen in the US.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters gathered in Southern   California   to demonstrate against his visit, and to push back on the idea that any border crisis truly exists except one that Mr Trump himself has created through a crackdown on asylum seekers and families fleeing violence and poverty in Central America.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

While Mr Trump promised that Mexico would pay for the wall, instead some $3.6 billion in military infrastructure money has been raided, undercutting projects across the US from New York to Virginia and the Carolinas. All told, US Customs and Border Protection says it has received $6.2 billion since January 2017 to build the wall.

Among those projects that have had funding taken away include an ambulatory centre in North Carolina; an engineering centre at the US Military Academy in West Point, New York; a cyber-ops facility in Virginia; a fire station in South Carolina; a central heating facility on an Air Force base in Alaska; and a Kentucky middle school.

But, despite Mr Trump’s repeated claims that the US border wall is nearing completion, there actually hasn’t been much movement on creating new wall along the border. Before Mr Trump became president, 654 miles of the nearly 2,000 miles border had some form of fencing or wall on it, and that figure has remained mostly unchanged.

Instead, new construction has largely been to replace existing infrastructure, including with larger fences, bollards, lights, and roads.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Meanwhile, Mr Trump has overseen a crackdown on immigration into the United States, with his administration notably separating families as they cross into the United States seeking asylum.

The administration has also pushed forward with efforts to stop migrants from getting into the United States at all, asking them instead to take a number at the border and to wait until they are called for a chance to have their asylum cases heard.

As a result of those policies and others, US immigration court backlogs have skyrocketed, with over 1 million waiting for their cases to be heard in the most recent tally, matching the highest backlog seen in the US.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

From the article:

"But, despite Mr Trump’s repeated claims that the US border wall is nearing completion "

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

The only "Claim" I've ever heard Trump say about any "completion" thingy, is where he's claimed the "Prototypes" were close to "Completion" and the noting of the sections of the wall that were built....were "close to", or "Completed" !

Is this FAKE NEWS...………… AGAIN ?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @5    5 years ago
Is this FAKE NEWS...………… AGAIN ?

Semantics maybe, but the cheerleader in chief, has made may questionable statements about that darned wall project.

kUuht00m_bigger.jpg Donald J. Trump ‏Verified account  @ realDonaldTrump

Large sections of WALL have already been built with much more either under construction or ready to go. Renovation of existing WALLS is also a very big part of the plan to finally, after many decades, properly Secure Our Border. The Wall is getting done one way or the other!

In other tweets, he said:

• "Construction has started and will not stop until it is finished."
  • "Wall is already being built, I don’t expect much help!"
  • "We have stopped the previous Caravans, and we will stop these also. With a Wall it would be soooo much easier and less expensive. Being Built! "
  • "Wall is being built!"

But is a wall actually being built?

RELATED: President Trump incorrectly claims San Antonio has a border wall

The facts

The U.S-Mexico border is 1,954 miles long. Currently, more than 650 miles of it have some sort of barrier.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    5 years ago

Pretty bad stuff as an argument that Trump claimed border Wall was almost finished.

Ya got anything where Trump actually said ….. "The border wall is almost finished" ?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @5.2.1    5 years ago

No, as you said, he seems to only comment on completed replacement projects.  The author of the article is exaggerating.

But as the article correctly stated, the miles of existing fence, barrier and replacement wall is virtually unchanged since 2016.

The original bill (1996) required 700 miles of double fencing which only exists in one 36 mile stretch in CA.

The Bill was amended in 2006 to drop the double fence requirement.  The 700 mile project was "completed" in 2011.

Virtually all of the projects since then were to replace the existing pedestrian fencing, largely ignoring

(almost worthless) vehicle barrier which comprises 299 miles of the 700 mile "system".

In his speech in El Paso on immigration reform on May 10, 2011, President Obama declared that the fence along the border with Mexico is "now basically complete."

Department of Homeland Security officials told us they have finished 649 out of 652 miles of fencing (99.5 percent), which includes 299 miles of vehicle barriers and 350 miles of pedestrian fence.

Simple math says that we have another 1254 mile of non existing wall to build in addition to the 299 miles of vehicle barriers

which needs to be upgraded.

By now it's possible that the section started in February has actually extended the existing fence by 14 miles.

Here's 3 interesting links about the complexities and actual construction.

and my favorites.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.2    5 years ago
No, as you said, he seems to only comment on completed replacement projects.

I posted no such thing ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @5.2.3    5 years ago
The only "Claim" I've ever heard Trump say about any "completion" thingy, is where he's claimed the "Prototypes" were close to "Completion" and the noting of the sections of the wall that were built....were "close to", or "Completed"

This wasn't your comment?  5

Were your practicing ventriloquism or are we just not allowed to agree on anything, lol?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.4    5 years ago
The only "Claim" I've ever heard Trump say about any "completion" thingy, is where he's claimed the "Prototypes" were close to "Completion" and the noting of the sections of the wall that were built....were "close to", or "Completed"
This wasn't your comment?

Yes it was...

But...

This was your "Interpretation 5.2.2:

"No, as you said, he seems to only comment on completed replacement projects."

"I" said ….no such thing !

So what did you "SEE" in my statement that would have made you note what you said I said ?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    5 years ago
the idea that any border crisis truly exists except one that Mr Trump himself has created through a crackdown on asylum seekers and families fleeing violence and poverty in Central America.

Insaneland. The Craziest Place on Earth. This is like saying that security guards and silent alarms create a bank robber crisis. It's only a crisis if you're trying to do something about the situation.

What a revelation! All we had to do was ignore the millions of people who have streamed over our border illegally and just say "not a problem!" Crisis solved!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago
What a revelation! All we had to do was ignore the millions of people who have streamed over our border illegally and just say "not a problem!" Crisis solved!

Why not?  It worked for the President on North Korea didn't it.  Declare a crisis, threaten, have photo ops, exchange love letters and

poof, the crisis is over, right?  Ignore those last dozen missile launches.  Ignore the 2 missile launches, hours after NK asked to renew nuclear 'discussions'; NK then bragged that the new missiles were specifically designed to defeat the Patriot and THAD defense systems of SK and the USA.

No comment from the President ?  Of course he commented, he says "no worries".

Trump, who prizes his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, said the launches did not violate an agreement and were in line with what others were doing.

Asked if he was concerned about North Korea’s missile launches, Trump said: "I’m not happy about it, but again, he’s not in violation of an agreement."

Abe said the launches breached U.N. resolutions.

Launches of short-range ballistic missiles on Saturday were the seventh by North Korea since Trump and Kim met at the border between the two Koreas in June.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    5 years ago

And if Trump were playing hardball with North Korea, he would be accused of creating a crisis. Ya can't win. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.1    5 years ago

He himself declared it was a crisis.  Did you miss 2017? He threatened to destroy NK.  Said "talking, not the answer" to dealing with NK.

Then he "fixed it" yet the missile launches still continue.

Got it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.2    5 years ago

The turd creates the crisis and then is the only one who can fix it.  

Right.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.2    5 years ago

So . . . you agree with me that Trump didn't create a crisis at the border. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.2    5 years ago

Nope he never gets it.

Always twisting, twisting, twisting, twisting.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.4    5 years ago

[deleted]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.5    5 years ago
Always twisting

You mean like excusing blackface by calling it "brown face?"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.7    5 years ago

No comparison whatsoever [Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.7    5 years ago

They're still talking about me?  I was done wasting my time there hours ago

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago
This is like saying that security guards and silent alarms create a bank robber crisis.

No this is like having the police arrest anyone going into the bank, and sorting out the customers a few months later.  Then complaining that the local jail has a crisis because there are so many suspected bank robbers in it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @6.2    5 years ago
No this is like having the police arrest anyone going into the bank, and sorting out the customers a few months later. 

Oh. Emm. Gee.

No it isn't. It's not even close. You must be joking.

99.99% of people who enter a bank are doing so with legal status and intent.

Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents and anyone else with permission to enter the United States isn't running across the desert to get into the country. Any walls or fences are irrelevant to them.

They present themselves at a port of entry and are allowed in. Everyone else - those people who have to deal with the fence - are trying to enter illegally. 100% of them are breaking the law.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.1    5 years ago

What are you a shyster lawyer?