╌>

New Star Trek series coming early next year - Star Trek: Picard (trailer)

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  dignitatem-societatis  •  5 years ago  •  122 comments

New Star Trek series coming early next year - Star Trek: Picard (trailer)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

From the Wikipedia article - Star Trek: Picard

Star Trek: Picard is an upcoming American web television series created for CBS All Access by executive producer Alex Kurtzman. It will be the eighth series in the Star Trek franchise and centers on the character Jean-Luc Picard. Set at the end of the 24th century, twenty years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis (2002), the storyline is affected by the destruction of Romulus referenced in the film Star Trek (2009), as well as the death of Data from the aforementioned Nemesis.

Patrick Stewart executive produces the series and stars as Picard, reprising his role from Star Trek: The Next Generation as well as other Star Trek media. Santiago Cabrera, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Alison Pill, Harry Treadaway, and Isa Briones also star. Several actors from previous Star Trek series will also reprise their roles, including Brent Spiner, Jeri Ryan, Marina Sirtis, and Jonathan Frakes. The series was first rumored in June 2018 when Kurtzman began his expansion, and was officially announced that August after months of negotiations with Stewart, who had previously said he would not return to the franchise after Nemesis. Filming began in California in April 2019, with the series' official title announced a month later.

Star Trek: Picard is expected to premiere in early 2020, and its first season will consist of ten episodes.

From an article at Comicbook.com - Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard

“We are looking at a new world with new objectives, problems and issues that could not have been raised when we were making The Next Generation and I found that very exciting,” Stewart says. “It’s very exciting and people will be surprised and perhaps even shocked.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Dig    5 years ago

Finally! Something in the prime timeline, a couple of decades after the big 3 (TNG/DS9/VOY). I've been waiting for some kind of continuation like this ever since Voyager ended.

The trailer looks pretty good, IMO. Hate that it's another streaming-only show, though.

Engage...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Dig @1    5 years ago
The trailer looks pretty good, IMO. Hate that it's another streaming-only show, though.

I'm a Trekster  jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif (seen 'em all)….but sometimes...the "Trailers" are better than the movie !

This one looks more like a Trek version of "Battle Angel" ! 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Dig @1    5 years ago

IMO Picard is the best trek captain.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    5 years ago

WHAT???  Surely you're kidding.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    5 years ago

I totally agree with SteevieGee.  Picard is smart, polished, and sexy as hell.  Kirk was a pretty boy and used his fists more than he used his head.  Also I am a voice freak and Picard is on my top 10 list.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.2    5 years ago

Kirk dealt with Tribbles while Picard dealt with the Borg.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.2    5 years ago
Picard is smart, polished, and sexy as hell.  Kirk was a pretty boy and used his fists more than he used his head.  Also I am a voice freak and Picard is on my top 10 list.

Mmmmhmmmmm.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @1.2.4    5 years ago
Kirk dealt with Tribbles while Picard dealt with the Borg.

Sisco was da bomb. He dealt with the Borg, the Cardassians, the Dominion, run a space station that was beyond multicultural and he was divine. How can you beat that?

That being said, I have been looking forward to this series and Picard is very cool. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.6    5 years ago

I just never could develop a taste for Avery Brooks' acting.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.8  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.6    5 years ago
That being said, I have been looking forward to this series and Picard is very cool. 

You probably watched the original series. I being as young and handsome as I am caught the rerun's. 

Trekie for life. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Dig
Professor Participates
1.2.9  seeder  Dig  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.6    5 years ago
Sisco was da bomb. He dealt with the Borg, the Cardassians, the Dominion, run a space station that was beyond multicultural and he was divine. How can you beat that?

It turned out he had an advantage, though, being half wormhole alien and all. :)

DS9 is still my favorite series, with Voyager coming in a close second. TNG was great at the time, but in my opinion it hasn't aged very well. A lot of it just feels so cheesy now. Always loved Patrick Stewart as Picard, though.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.2    5 years ago

I agree with Stevie, too, but Jonathan Archer will always have a special place in my heart. He was the first to go where no human had gone before

(And I've always dug Scott Bakula since "Quantum Leap")

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    5 years ago

Of all the captains of all the Star Trek episodes, Picard was my least favorite captan.  Kirk will always be my favorite and Archer was my next favorite played by Scott Baccula (sp) more recently of NCIS New Orleans...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.11    5 years ago

I usually prefer the first actor in a role - hard for me to appreciate a replacement.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.12    5 years ago

I wouldn't call Picard a replacement.  He was written to be an entirely different kind of captain from Kirk.  More cerebral, more disciplined, and much more likely to use diplomacy than phasers and photon torpedoes, but was never a pushover.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.14  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.8    5 years ago

I did. All of them at least a dozen times each before I was 20 and I liked the old show so much I watched all these too.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.15  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.13    5 years ago

In the tv show and the movies Kirk used diplomacy whenever appropriate.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.15    5 years ago

He did, but he was much more quick to throw in the diplomacy towel and turn to force, and was more likely to break the Prime Directive than Picard was (although Picard skated the line a time or two).

There was a reason Picard was often a mediator between opposing cultures - he was better at bringing two sides together.  An important skill for a leader, IMO.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.13    5 years ago

;Okay, you may have a point there. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.18  Gordy327  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    5 years ago

I doubt Kirk could carry the bald look as well as Picard does. Sisko also had a good bald look too.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.18    5 years ago

And Shatner knows it.  That's why the toupe.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.21  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.14    5 years ago

Episode three is very good.  It picks up from where mirror mirror left off in the double universe episode.  The two part finale is very good as well.  It’s too bad that some other group broke all the rules for fan created spinoffs of the copyright material and CBS pulled the plug on everyone, thus ending these episodes at 11 total. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.22  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2.14    5 years ago
I liked the old show so much I watched all these too.

I watched them all too. Star Trek Phase II/New Voyages/Continues is actually quite good, especially for being fan made. It captured the sprit and feel of the original series quite well. There are also fan made ST movies. Have you seen ST: Of Gods and Men? Or ST: Horizon? 

There are a couple fan series of less quality, but otherwise watchable: ST: Odyssey and Hidden Frontier

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Dig @1    5 years ago
Hate that it's another streaming-only show, though.

That annoys me too. Trek should always be prime time showing, not streaming.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @1.3    5 years ago

The end of the world draws nigh.  We actually agree on something.  🌩⚡️🔥☄️🌪

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.2  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.3.1    5 years ago

First time for everything I guess.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I wonder if when Rodenberry walked into that first meeting with his Star Trek treatment he could have envisioned how ST morphed into the giant it is today.  I have a really funny story about Sir Patrick that I might share.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Is this another series like Star Trek: Discovery where viewers are stuck having to pay to watch?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    5 years ago

Yes.  But I might fall for it, this time.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    5 years ago

I have all access. I got it several years ago to watch the feeds for Big Brother.

This is starting to be a thing with CBS. Going to make more and more pay items, especially if this works out.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    5 years ago

It's worth to me. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    5 years ago

The more I read and hear about it, I think I will give it a try.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.3    5 years ago

Same.  "Discovery" didn't really tempt me, but Patrick Stewart does.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2  Freefaller  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    5 years ago
Discovery where viewers are stuck having to pay to watch?

Snicker not in Canada

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @4.2    5 years ago

Not fair!

I should move to Canada.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.1    5 years ago

Then you could enjoy poutine, butter tarts, Nanaimo bars, and Red Rose tea.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.2    5 years ago
Red Rose tea

Poutine looks tasty, as do butter tarts.  Nanaimo bars have coconut, if I've found the right description.  Those, I'll send your way.

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2.4  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.3    5 years ago
Poutine looks tasty

It's french fries with gravy, right?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @4.2.4    5 years ago

And cheese curds.  Seems worth a try to me.

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2.6  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.5    5 years ago

It does sound good.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dig @4.2.6    5 years ago

I am intrigued by the way Seven of Nine has progressed from sounding like a Borg drone to normal human behavior. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.7    5 years ago

If they show it.  It may be that her development will be left to our imaginations.  Some will be more vivid than others, I imagine.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.8    5 years ago

I was going by that short segment of her talking to Picard in the trailer where she was actually cursing...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.9    5 years ago

I understand.  Her mannerisms were much less rigid than during her time aboard Voyager.  I just don't know if the transition will be addressed.

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2.11  seeder  Dig  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.7    5 years ago

She does sound like a completely normal person now.  I'm wondering what name she'll be using, her Borg designation or her birth name of Annika? Maybe just Ann? That would be weird. Probably still Seven, though.

I'm also wondering if she and Chakotay got together in the different timelime created when Janeway went back for Voyager in the series finale. They were shown as being a couple in the other one.

She could answer a LOT of questions. I really hope the writers have done their homework and aren't going be too messy with the prime canon.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @4.2.11    5 years ago
I'm also wondering if she and Chakotay got together in the different timelime created when Janeway went back for Voyager in the series finale. They were shown as being a couple in the other one.

Worst couple in Trek, IMO.  Janeway and Chakotay would have been much more believable.  They had chemistry right from the pilot episode.

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2.13  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.12    5 years ago

Agree completely. I thought for a long time the writers were setting us up for a Janekotay or Chakotway thing in the end. It sure seemed like that was the direction they were taking us.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @4.2.13    5 years ago

Yeah.  I know that Mulgrew was the one who put a stop to the Janeway/Chakotay relationship during the run of the show.  And it was always assumed that she wouldn't have a romantic relationship because she was in command, and Starfleet frowned on fraternization.  But that didn't stop Kirk (what would?) or even the stickler-for-protocol Picard, who dated a subordinate.

I kinda figured they'd end up together in the end, once she was no longer his commanding officer.  They seemed so much more suited than Chakotay and Seven.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.15  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.12    5 years ago
Worst couple in Trek, IMO. 

What about the worst episode in all of Trek? Just one in all the pre-Discovery series?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.15    5 years ago

"Threshold" is up there.

Same with "Genesis".

"Spock's Brain".

Sorry, I guess that's three, but they were all stinkers.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.17  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.16    5 years ago
Same with "Genesis".

Genesis was average at best. But not terrible like Spock's Brain or threshold. The latter 2 are definite contenders. 

DS9 had "Move Along Home." ST: TNG had many average or bad episodes (and a lot of great ones). While most were not overly terrible, I'd say the worst TNG episode was "Sub Rosa."

What about Enterprise?

Any episode with Q is a winner in my book and I hope the Picard series features Q at least once. It's not a Picard episode/series without Q showing up at least once.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.17    5 years ago

"Sub Rosa" was average, IMO.

I also haven't seen ENT.  Am I going to lose my Trekkie cred?

I hope Q makes an appearance, but I do have to wonder what they'll do about John de Lancie's age.  Q is immortal, but the actor is not.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.19  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.18    5 years ago

Yes. Enterprise was underrated. It found its legs by the 4th season. But by then, it was too late.

I hope Q makes an appearance,

As do I.

but I do have to wonder what they'll do about John de Lancie's age.  Q is immortal, but the actor is not.

Lots of make up. Perhaps digital editing. After all, Brent Spiner's Data makes an appearance and he still looks good as Data.

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2.20  seeder  Dig  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.15    5 years ago
What about the worst episode in all of Trek?

In my book it's 'The Way to Eden', the one with the space hippies from the original series.

Pure torture.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.21  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @4.2.20    5 years ago

Oh, gawd, the space hippies.  Every time I watch, I hope they get blown out a hull breach.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.19    5 years ago

I hope they don't do digital editing.  I don't think the tech is there yet.  "Justice League" showed us that.

And I'm not sure about Data (or B4) - he looked a bit odd to me.  Like his face was swollen.

Dig
Professor Participates
4.2.23  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.18    5 years ago

Not at all. You didn't miss anything but a canon-bashing hot mess with a bad pop-rock song for its opening theme. I don't think I can adequately describe how much I despised ENT at the time. It was as if the producers were giving the fan base a big middle finger after everyone had faithfully invested 14 years or so into the overlapping, common canon-developing storylines of TNG, DS9, and VOY. I forced myself to suffer about half-way through the second season while it was airing, but said to hell with it after that.

A few years ago I broke down and bought the DVDs out of a longing for the glory days of Trek, but as I started watching them I was quickly reminded that ENT wasn't actually a part of that. I still haven't finished the entire series. The only thing I really like about what I've seen so far is Jeffrey Combs as the Andorian, Shran. Oh, and one episode called Carbon Creek. Not nearly enough to redeem the entire show, though, IMO.

I know other people seem to genuinely like it, but I think of it mostly as an insult to fans. It wasn't surprising at all when it was cancelled. The only surprising thing is that it lasted as long as it did.

LOL. Sorry for the rant. I'm guess I'm still just pissed off about the whole thing. Some of us take our Star Trek a bit too seriously, I suppose. :p

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.24  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.18    5 years ago

It just would not be the same with someone other than de Lancie playing Q.  There have been other Q's that made appearances, but he is the best Q of them all.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.25  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.24    5 years ago

He's perfect for that role.  Hilariously smug and condescending.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.26  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2.24    5 years ago
It just would not be the same with someone other than de Lancie playing Q. 

Lady Q was similar to our Q. All smug and condescending. Also hot.

There have been other Q's that made appearances, but he is the best Q of them all.

Absolutely. Q & Picard episodes are awesome. Remember "Tapestry?" One of the best episodes of TNG. The chemistry between John De Lancie and Patric Stewart was perfect and it really came through.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.27  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.26    5 years ago
Lady Q was similar to our Q. All smug and condescending.

Suzie Plakson was great as the female Q.  And as K'Ehleyr.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.28  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dig @4.2.23    5 years ago

I happen to like ENT.....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.29  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.28    5 years ago

Me too. But I didn't care for the temporal cold war sub plot.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.30  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dig @4.2.23    5 years ago

I personally enjoyed ENT for some of the very reasons you stated. It showed the early days of Starfleet prior to the Federation and the events leading up to it. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

So excited.

Me inside, when I first saw the trailer.

source.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    5 years ago

I am interested!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    5 years ago

Was never a big TNG fan but I'll still give it a try, after all it is free

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @7    5 years ago
it is free

That's right, rub it in!

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2  Ender  replied to  Freefaller @7    5 years ago

I was. I enjoyed them. 

I watched all the originals as a kid. I believe I was in my early 20's when TNG came out.

Enjoyed them both. I just look at them as different times, different takes.

I will piss people off and make the connection to the one I saw as a kid being more campy.

Heh Heh

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @7.2    5 years ago

I was in middle school when TNG came out, and I loved it then, and do still.  I think it probably came closer to Roddenberry's vision of the future than TOS really could.  I remember reading that nobody would accept a female first officer, so Majel Barrett couldn't continue as Number One as in the pilot.  By the 80s, a female officer who did more than answer the phone (apologies to Nichelle Nichols) and bring the captain coffee didn't really raise any eyebrows.

Dig
Professor Participates
7.2.2  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.1    5 years ago

And then we got a female captain a few years later.  :)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @7.2    5 years ago
I was. I enjoyed them. 

That's cool we all have our own tastes.  For me they rank Discovery, Voyager, DS9, TNG, original.  We're pretty close to being the same age but for me TNG was just to much talking and we never had a TV when I was growing up so by the time I had my own and caught the originals on reruns they were just too campy and dated to enjoy.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    5 years ago

Looking forward to it. Patrick Stewart has had a long and distinguished career and is a fine actor, especially liked him in, Excalibur..

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @8    5 years ago

Stewart did a great remake of the Canterville Ghost.  Check it out.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    5 years ago

One of my favorite ongoing performances is him in American Dad.   Haha

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @8.1.1    5 years ago

I've never seen the show, but will look for it.  Thank you for letting me know about it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @8.1.1    5 years ago
One of my favorite ongoing performances is him in American Dad.   Haha

He actually does a good deal of voice over work, I've caught several of the documentaries he's voiced and he just makes you want to listen

Dig
Professor Participates
10  seeder  Dig    5 years ago

I've been watching fan videos on YouTube talking about the trailer. It seems the guy who played Hugh Borg in TNG is in the credits (Jonathan Del Arco), and some think he's the one lying on the table with his Borg implants removed. Is Hugh coming back as another Borg rescue like Seven and Picard?

People have noticed that in the scene with the armed Romulan guards walking on the catwalk, there's Borg regeneration alcoves in the background and some writing down on the catwalk that says "This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation". LOL, but WTF?

Some people are wondering if the girl could be Picard's daughter, or even a repaired Lal (Data's 'daughter'). 

Also, what's up with Picard's Romulan crew member, the long-haired guy who looks like an elf from Lord of the Rings? Even the character's name (Elnor) sounds LOTR-ish. That's a little weird, right? What were they thinking? 

I did like the uniforms shown outside Starfleet HQ, though. They look like the DS9 and Voyager style (with the job classification colors going from shoulder to shoulder and everything else black), but with actual collars at the neckline instead of a gray or purple turtleneck undershirt.

And at the very end, was that really Data, or was it B-4 from Nemesis?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @10    5 years ago
Also, what's up with Picard's Romulan crew member, the long-haired guy who looks like an elf from Lord of the Rings? Even the character's name (Elnor) sounds LOTR-ish. That's a little weird, right? What were they thinking?

Didn't care for that at all.  I get that they've changed the look of alien species as prosthetics and special effects have improved (especially the Klingons), but I thought the Romulans were fine in the TNG/DS9/VGR era.  Same with the Klingons.  You're right about the LOTR esthetic.  I expect him to pull a sword or jump on a horse.

Dig
Professor Participates
10.1.1  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1    5 years ago

Speaking of prosthetics, it doesn't look like they're even bothering to put those little v-shaped ridges on their foreheads like they did in the TNG era. How much trouble could those possibly be? 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @10.1.1    5 years ago

I noticed.  Now Romulans will just look like humans with pointy ears and slanted eyebrows.  How does one tell them from Vulcans?

Maybe they'll be the ones with swords and horses.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.2    5 years ago
Now Romulans will just look like humans with pointy ears and slanted eyebrows.

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

They did, and They do ! 

Klingons used to too.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @10.1.3    5 years ago

Well, yeah, but that was due to limitations in prosthetics and makeup at the time.  Since TNG, you don't need a tribble to identify a Klingon trying to pass as human.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.4    5 years ago
Well, yeah, but that was due to limitations in prosthetics and makeup at the time.

Smile; jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Rodenberry was big on Aliens looking more like Humans back in the day. Since his death, things have changed, but not that much. Klingon looks have morphed quite a bit throughout the years in their forehead structures though, but if you look at what General Chang looked like in "The undiscovered Country", it kinda went back to the way it "Used to be".

Romulans have always looked like Humans with pointed eyebrows and pointy ears. The only change that occurred there, was a bigger "V" bump in their foreheads after 10 years or so of TV. They used to always look like plain ol' Vulcans, which was pretty much a human with pointy ears and pointy eyebrows (Spock Type).

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @10.1.5    5 years ago

I read recently that Spock was intended to have red skin, to play up the proposed Vulcan resemblance to a devil, but it didn't show up well on black and white tv sets, so they went with a greenish tint, instead.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.6    5 years ago

Not sure about that myself, but I've heard that. The Only actual "Black and White" Star Trek episode I remember seeing on TV was "The Cage/The Menagerie". Not sure why, as I was always told ALL star Trek episodes were filmed in color. Maybe it was the "Black and White" TV thing you were speaking of.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @10.1.7    5 years ago

"The Cage" is in color.  Perhaps you saw it on a black and white tv?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.8    5 years ago
"The Cage" is in color.  Perhaps you saw it on a black and white tv?

I originally saw it on a color TV and it was in Black and White.

I'm Old. jrSmiley_36_smiley_image.gif

The color version showing,seems to be a complicated issue as to how it came about.

Dig
Professor Participates
10.1.10  seeder  Dig  replied to  It Is ME @10.1.5    5 years ago
Rodenberry was big on Aliens looking more like Humans back in the day. Since his death, things have changed, but not that much.

I don't know about that. I think it was mostly a budget issue on the original series. He also executive produced The Next Generation and oversaw the new makeup and prosthetics for aliens like the Klingons, Cardassians, and Ferengi.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Dig @10.1.10    5 years ago

Even in the days of Computer generating, Most Aliens in any of the "Star Trek type series, had two arms, two legs and one head. No squiggly things running around the planets or the ships (Exceptions would be like the "Crystalline Entity"or Tribble, or the sparkly cloud jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif that was in love with a human,etc.). Probably the "Humanist" coming out in Rodenberry's ideas.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  It Is ME @10.1.11    5 years ago

Also, the Horta.

But it's still easier, even with CGI, to produce aliens for the screen which are at least vaguely humanoid.  Most shows still aren't using CGI to produce characters entirely from scratch - they use costuming and prosthetics or motion-capture technology with human actors still providing motion and voice.

Too much CGI, and you end up with Henry Cavill's mouth from "Justice League", and nobody wants that.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.1.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.4    5 years ago

Interesting that this was explained in a episode of STE on how the change of brow ridges came about.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @10.1.13    5 years ago

Yeah, but I guess I just always figured it was an advance in prosthetics, and they just wrote it into the script for the sake of continuity.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10.1.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1    5 years ago

The original Klingons were nothing like Warf.  They basically had tans and bad goatees.

Dig
Professor Participates
11  seeder  Dig    5 years ago

Quick question: Is anyone having a problem with audio playback on embedded videos? The trailer's audio works on my Android tablet but not on my Windows 10 PC. Is it working for everyone else?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @11    5 years ago

Plays fine for me on Windows 10.

Dig
Professor Participates
11.1.1  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1    5 years ago

Great. Thanks.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @11.1.1    5 years ago

I had a lot of trouble with audio right after I installed Windows 10, but not since.  Hope you get it sorted out.

Dig
Professor Participates
11.1.3  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.2    5 years ago

I just figured it out. It was Chrome, not Windows. At some point I must have accidentally hit 'mute site' in the tab options. I can't believe I didn't think of checking that before. Oh well, all sorted now. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @11.1.3    5 years ago

I wouldn't have checked it, either, as I didn't even know there was a "mute" option for Chrome.

Dig
Professor Participates
11.1.5  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.4    5 years ago

Right click on any tab at the top of the screen and you'll see it in the options below 'pin tab'.

They added the feature a while back to silence annoying auto play videos on people's favorite websites. They used to have an option to shut down auto play altogether, but for some reason they swapped that for a mute option. Probably had something to do with ad money.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @11.1.5    5 years ago
They added the feature a while back to silence annoying auto play videos on people's favorite websites.

Handy.  Thanks!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Aron Eisenberg, who played Nog in DS9, has passed away at the age of 50.  Sad to lose a Trek actor at such a young age.

Dig
Professor Participates
12.1  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12    5 years ago

Sad to hear. A bit of a shock, too. I might have to watch a good Nog episode later today. Maybe 'Valiant' or 'The Magnificent Ferengi'. One is serious and dark, the other is comical silliness. Maybe I'll watch them both.

RIP Aron.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @12.1    5 years ago

I knew he had some sort of chronic kidney problem that contributed to his short stature.  Last night, his wife (or fiance?) announced on social media that he was in critical condition, and this morning, I read that he had passed.

Dig
Professor Participates
12.1.2  seeder  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.1.1    5 years ago
I knew he had some sort of chronic kidney problem that contributed to his short stature. 

I didn't even know about his kidney problem. I just now read about it in an article about his death. Apparently he'd already had a transplant by the time he was on DS9.

I feel like getting out my DVDs and watching Valiant right now.

Didn't you say somewhere that you didn't get very far into DS9? If you have Netflix, then that is one episode I would highly recommend. Seriously. It's on several of the DS9 top ten lists that I've seen, and as far as I'm concerned it's one of the better episodes in all of Trek. It's mostly a stand-alone. All you need to know going in is that it takes place during the Dominion War, and that the ship (the Valiant) is the sister ship of DS9's over-powered and over-gunned starship, the Defiant (initially designed to fight the Borg).

If you have the time, it's season 6, episode 22. I guarantee you'll like it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @12.1.2    5 years ago

Yeah, I recently tried again.  I keep losing interest.  I made it about halfway through the first season.

I'll give "Valiant" a try.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Dig @12.1    5 years ago
I might have to watch a good Nog episode later today.

How about the episode: The Siege of AR-558? While it's not a Nog episode per se, it does feature Nog in one of his best moments and heroics.

Dig
Professor Participates
12.1.5  seeder  Dig  replied to  Gordy327 @12.1.4    5 years ago
How about the episode: The Siege of AR-558?

Yeah. I suppose that one and its followup, 'It's Only a Paper Moon', would make a pretty good combo to watch in the wake of his death.

I watched 'Valiant' earlier, and then I watched the pilot again for some reason. He looked so young in the first season, even though he had to be 23 or 24 at the time.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
12.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dig @12.1.2    5 years ago

What amazed me about the Ferengi's was their portrayal as less than sharp knives in a drawer and not a super technologically advanced race.  In one of the original ST episodes where Kirk lost his memory and ended up as an Indian deity after emerging from the very oblisque that wiped his memory.  It was supposed to repel meteors but had malfunctioned.   I would have not thought the Ferengi race had that kind of technology that far back in their history.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @12.1.6    5 years ago
 I would have not thought the Ferengi race had that kind of technology that far back in their history.

Nog once stated that it took the Ferengi twice as long (10,000 yrs) to achieve technological similarity with humans, and they had to buy warp technology.