╌>

meth lab — after her blood tests positive for meth

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  20 comments

meth lab — after her blood tests positive for meth
Missouri law requires sellers to disclose if a home was a meth lab, but authorities in Jefferson County never tested it for contamination.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Tim Stelloh

Elisha Hessel tried for years to get pregnant.

When she finally did become pregnant earlier this year, joy turned to shock after she discovered that her new home in Jefferson County, Missouri, was a former meth lab — and that leftover amphetamines had seeped into her body,   NBC affiliate KSDK reported .

A prenatal appointment revealed that she tested positive for the drug, the station reported. The couple say their unborn child is fine.

Now, Elisha Hessel and her husband Tyler will have to pay more than $100,000 to clean up their home — even though its history was never disclosed to them during the home-buying process, as state law requires, the station reported.

Authorities found meth-making supplies at the home in 2013 after receiving a tip about a possible lab there, according to a police report obtained by the station.

But Jefferson County Undersheriff Timothy Whitney told KSDK that “there wasn’t evidence” to “suggest that distribution or manufacturing was going on.”

The sheriff’s office had no record of amphetamine contamination testing at the property, the station reported, and the possibility that it was a lab was never reported to code enforcement officers.

Still, the couple confirmed that it was a meth lab on Jefferson County’s list of 2013 property seizures.

An expert hired by the couple to evaluate the home said that the contaminants can spread through paints, flooring, cabinetry and the HVAC system, according to the station.

The $100,000 remediation estimate includes replacing drywall, duct work and the HVAC system — a sum the couple is seeking help to pay off through   a GoFundMe page .

The Hessels' baby girl is due in January and the GoFundMe page says prenatal tests are "looking marvelous for baby Hessel!"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

As being a person who didn't have full disclosure on the purchase of their home, this is a cautionary tale that this goes on more than you think. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

God, what a nightmare. Meth is pure evil. When you see what it does to people, there's just no other way to look at it. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

My old boss, back when I had a boss, didn't care if you did coke, (which he called fun fun) pot, drinking, reds, (ok that's dating me) or anything except for meth. (which he called juju)  Meth can just grab a hold of some people and it just doesn't let go. It's really tragic.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    5 years ago
Meth can just grab a hold of some people and it just doesn't let go.

It really does. I'm often pretty libertarian about drugs, even though I've decided they're not for me. Banning these things often turns ordinary people with addiction issues into criminals just because they get busted for being under the influence and that just seems like a waste.

But meth just destroys people. I don't think I've met anyone who can do it now and then, recreationally, like people do with so many other drugs. I've even known long time heroin addicts who, surprisingly, manage to look pretty well put together. But with meth, you might as well be sprinkling rat poison on your dinner.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    5 years ago
Now, Elisha Hessel and her husband Tyler will have to pay more than $100,000 to clean up their home

If the county has a duty to inspect houses and they didn't do it, they should have to pay for the clean up.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @3    5 years ago

I don't know. Caveat emptor? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    5 years ago

The story makes it seem like someone has a burden under the law. It might be that the buyer has a duty to disclose this (assuming they know) or it might be that the county has a duty. Surely, the county would be in a position to know if the previous owners were busted for running a meth lab.

Meanwhile, who knew it was a thing that could linger and infect people over time? That's just spooky!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

A contaminated home is bad enough, but now this gal is forever tagged as a possible meth mother.  On a related note, I'm curious to know why she was even tested for drugs.  Are all expectant mothers drug tested?

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    5 years ago

I believe so, at least to an extent. Providers need to know the best path for prenatal care. If I'm mistaken, someone please tell me

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    5 years ago

Nowadays yes. In fact, the woman I shared a room with after giving birth, started using blow right after giving birth. She passed the coke to the baby via breast milk and the poor thing became addicted. As her roommate, I got the third degree from the police, but I can understand why, and the baby was taken away from her. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

OMG, what a nightmare for this couple. 

It seems to me that the county screwed up and should be responsible for the clean up costs. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    5 years ago
 Authorities found meth-making supplies at the home in 2013 after receiving a tip about a possible lab there, according to a police report obtained by the station. But Jefferson County Undersheriff Timothy Whitney told KSDK that “there wasn’t evidence” to “suggest that distribution or manufacturing was going on.”

I think Undersheriff Whitney ought to have his IQ tested

cms5
Freshman Quiet
8  cms5    5 years ago
the couple confirmed that it was a meth lab on Jefferson County’s list of 2013 property seizures.

I bet they do their due diligence before buying another home!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10  It Is ME    5 years ago

"even though its history was never disclosed to them during the home-buying process, as state law requires, the station reported."

Sounds like a realtor/Title Company/buyer issue. Not a "Law Enforcement" issue.

Just another "Buyer Beware" thingy we've been told for decades and decades ! 

I hear that getting a "House Inspection" is the number one thingy a "Buyer" should insist on, before shelling out big bucks.

Some People just don't "Listen" !

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @10    5 years ago

We found out that both realtors have the obligation to report. Title companies only are responsible for illegal structures or building code violations and leans. 

And who would think of having a house checked out for meth?

Kavika
Professor Principal
12  Kavika     5 years ago

I sold my house in Missouri last year (September). I don't recall being asked by either realtor or the home inspector or having a question on any of the paperwork involved about meth.

What was a big deal was the testing for radon gas.