╌>

Trump talks of 'civil war' if he is impeached

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

102b4830-25c0-11e7-a66a-23957430fe89_lat   Zamira Rahim, The Independent   4 hours ago  

bcfc5882fc9c7a305c0a7d4d9c2e575c

Donald Trump   has raised the spectre of divisions akin to a civil war in the   US   in the event that he is impeached, in a series of incendiary posts on   Twitter .

The president appeared to approvingly quote Robert Jeffress, a pastor and   Fox News   contributor, in a stream of late-night tweets.

“If the Democrats are successful in removing the President from office (which they will never be), it will cause a Civil War like fracture in this Nation from which our Country will never heal,” Mr Jeffress said, in words then quoted by Mr Trump.

The president tweeted and reposted several defences of his behaviour on Sunday night and lashed out at the   Democratic Party .

He also demanded to meet the whistleblower at the heart of a scandal that has triggered a formal impeachment inquiry in Congress, and warned of “big consequences” for those involved.

The president said he wanted to question Adam Schiff, the chair of the intelligence committee, on charges of fraud and treason.

“Like every American, I deserve to meet my accuser, especially when this accuser, the so-called 'Whistleblower,' represented a perfect conversation with a foreign leader in a totally inaccurate and fraudulent way,” the 73-year-old said.

“Then Schiff made up what I actually said by lying to Congress.

“His lies were made in perhaps the most blatant and sinister manner ever seen in the great Chamber.”

The president claimed: “He wrote down and read terrible things, then said it was from the mouth of the President of the United States. I want Schiff questioned at the highest level for Fraud & Treason.

“In addition, I want to meet not only my accuser, who presented SECOND & THIRD HAND INFORMATION, but also the person who illegally gave this information, which was largely incorrect, to the “Whistleblower.”

“Was this person SPYING on the US President? Big Consequences!”

The   White House   was thrown into chaos after the whistleblower’s complaint was made last month.

The complaint was triggered by a 25 July phone call between Donald Trump and   Volodyyr Zelensky , in which the president appeared to urge the Ukranian leader to investigate   Joe Biden , the 2020 Democratic frontrunner.

Mr Trump’s remarks reportedly caused alarm and the whistleblower, who is believed to be a member of the intelligence community, submitted the official complaint on 12 August.

In the wake of the scandal Democrats have announced an official impeachment inquiry. Many accused the president of pressuring a vulnerable ally for personal political gain.

The inquiry is being led by the intelligence committee, helmed by   Adam Schiff.

Mr Schiff chaired a hearing on 26 September during which he questioned Joseph Maguire, Mr Trump’s acting director of national intelligence.

During the hearing the spy chief declined to discuss whether he spoke to the president about the complaint in question, saying his conversations with Mr Trump are “executive privilege”.

In his opening remarks, the acting spy chief said he welcomed congress’ oversight duties, adding: “I am not partisan and I am not political”.

He also said he did not know the identity of the whistleblower, but when asked whether he believed the anonymous individual was a “partisan hack” as the president has said, Mr Maguire responded: “I think the whistleblower did the right thing.”

Mr Maguire described foreign election interference as “unwarranted,” adding: “It is unwelcome. It is bad for the nation.”

Adam Schiff has said he expects the whistleblower to come before his committee in the near future.

The president has denied all allegations of wrongdoing.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

This 'president' is becoming more unhinged by the day

LOCK HIM UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

"What's so civil about War anyway"

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    5 years ago

What's so civil about War anyway"

And perhaps even more importantly , . . . what time does the balloon go up?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

During the hearing the spy chief declined to discuss whether he spoke to the president about the complaint in question, saying his conversations with Mr Trump are “executive privilege”.

In his opening remarks, the acting spy chief said he welcomed congress’ oversight duties, adding: “I am not partisan and I am not political”.

He also said he did not know the identity of the whistleblower, but when asked whether he believed the anonymous individual was a “partisan hack” as the president has said, Mr Maguire responded: “I think the whistleblower did the right thing.”

Mr Maguire described foreign election interference as “unwarranted,” adding: “It is unwelcome. It is bad for the nation.”

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

He's fighting a civil war in his head.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  lady in black @2    5 years ago

I wonder if the East or West is winning ...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1    5 years ago
I wonder if the East or West is winning ...

Depends on whether he ate Taco Bell for lunch...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

18tms7.jpg

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

His "soldiers" will be too busy with NASCAR, beer bongs, and BBQ to fight.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

UPDATE 1-Trump suggests intel chairman should be arrested for 'treason'

973af590-e89a-11e6-b294-9bc8096ac008_reuters.jpg Reuters 3 minutes 4 seconds ago

(Adds background, details)

WASHINGTON, Sept 30 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday escalated his attacks against the lawmaker leading the impeachment inquiry against him, suggesting that Representative Adam Schiff be arrested for "treason."

The comment is likely to inflame criticism of Trump's handling of the scandal engulfing his presidency, stemming from a a telephone call in which Trump asked Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to investigate Democratic rival Joe Biden and his son.

The telephone call was included in an intelligence officer's whistleblower complaint that raised concerns about whether the president sought to leverage U.S. aid to Ukraine for a political favor.

"Rep. Adam Schiff illegally made up a FAKE & terrible statement, pretended it to be mine as the most important part of my call to the Ukrainian President, and read it aloud to Congress and the American people. It bore NO relationship to what I said on the call. Arrest for Treason?" Trump wrote in a post on Twitter.

Trump appeared to reference statements made by Schiff during a hearing held by the House Intelligence Committee, of which Schiff is the chairman. Schiff said his remarks parodied Trump's comments on the call with Zelenskiy.

The Republican president has increasingly lashed out at political opponents since House Democrats announced on Tuesday they would pursue an impeachment inquiry.

He likened the whistleblower and White House officials who gave information to the whistleblower to spies and suggested they committed treason.

The inspector general for the director of national intelligence deemed the whistleblower complaint credible and urgent, while the top U.S. intelligence officer said the whistleblower acted in good faith. (Reporting by Makini Brice and Doina Chiacu; Editing by Catherine Evans and Chizu Nomiyama)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @5    5 years ago

How are we to know if Adam Schiff made shit up? Donny-Boy lies so much, we can't believe a 10th of what passes his lips. And what does Schiff gain by lying to the American people?

Donny-Boy does realize that this is not North Korea where he can just point his finger at someone and then that person is dragged out and shot, doesn't he? I hope he does

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @5    5 years ago

It is Trump who should be investigated for treason.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    5 years ago

He's not wrong about Schiff. He sat right there in committee the other day and made obviously untrue claims about the content of a phone call transcript we have all seen. He literally said there were things in the transcript that aren't there.

Schiff tried to fudge what he was doing by saying it was the "essence" of the conversation and later walked it back even further by claiming it was some kind of "parody." Really. A congressional hearing examining possible impeachment is the time and place for parody? Nobody with sense buys that.

Even the "essence" bit makes light of a process that should be entirely serious. If you have to bend the truth and rely on partisan, subjective interpretations to impeach the president, then you shouldn't be doing it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago

Schiff's resort to lying about the phone call tells you all you need to know if Democrats believe they have a legitimate basis for impeachment. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1    5 years ago

You support someone who is a chronicle liar.  But hey, that doesn't matter to the Kool Aid intoxicated masses.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    5 years ago

We support the elected President of the United States.  We will support him all out come what may no matter the cost. In addition to clinging to our Bibles and our guns, we will cling to our current President too.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.2    5 years ago

Guns and bibles.  Yep.  That is the ticket.  Praise the fetus--damn the child.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago
"This is IN SUM AND CHARACTER, what the president was trying to communicate."

That is , EXACTLY, what Schiff said as soon as he finished his 'satire'.  That is an announcement by Schiff if you will that what he just said was not the word for word of what Trump had said on the transcript, but rather a paraphrasing of the "sum and character" of it. 

Schiff did nothing wrong in that situation other than not make it glaringly clear that he was using an artistic liberty to give a particular meaning to what Trump said. He didnt try to sneak it past everyone. Immediately after the 'characterization' , he SAYS IT WAS A CHARACTERIZATION. 

MAAN

"sum and character" at 5:10 mark of video

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    5 years ago
he was using an artistic liberty to give a particular meaning to what Trump said

A man in his position performing the duty he has should not be engaging in artistic license at all. He's not an artist. He's supposed to be a congressman and he's supposed to be safeguarding justice. He should be dealing in facts, not artistry.

to give a particular meaning to what Trump said

What he did was to invent a particular meaning and assign it to what Trump said. We the People do not need Adam Schiff to tell us "essentially" what Trump said. Give us the facts and let us decide for ourselves. If he can't do that, he has to lie, which is what he did.

And by the way, not everything Schiff said was simply interpretive. He flat out said things that aren't true.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    5 years ago

A civil war, Trump?  You really think you're worth it?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @7    5 years ago

He isn’t worth it but keeping Nancy Pelosi and people who think like her out of the White House unless they are elected would be...