Late-day bombshells erupt as Trump impeachment inquiry gets underway

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  32 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

39ddce80-de48-11e9-bfdf-c0f8ecf6ac3c   David Knowles   13 hours ago  

Trump addresses impeachment inquiry, Ukraine transcript

The first full week of the House impeachment inquiry of President Trump got underway with a rapid-fire succession of bombshell events that are likely to affect the course of the investigation.

At 3:53 p.m. in Washington, the Democratic chairmen of three House committees subpoenaed Trump’s  personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani  for documents related to the president’s request for an investigation by Ukrainian officials into former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

Reps. Adam Schiff, Jerry Nadler and Elijah Cummings cited Giuliani’s cable news appearances, saying the former New York City mayor “admitted on national television that, while serving as the president’s personal attorney, he asked the government of Ukraine to target” Biden.

“In addition to this stark admission, you stated more recently that you are in possession of evidence — in the form of text messages, phone records, and other communications — indicating that you were not acting alone and that other Trump Administration officials may have been involved in this scheme,” the chairmen wrote.

11482760-e3c3-11e9-95f7-1150406b4805
Rudy Giuliani, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison. (Photos: Hoo-Me.com/MediaPunch/AP, Jason DeCrow/AP, Frank Franklin II/AP)

Minutes later, at 4:04 p.m., the  Wall Street Journal  reported that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was among those who listened in on Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that is the basis of the House investigation.Last week, when Pompeo was interviewed by ABC News, he  denied firsthand knowledge  about what Trump and Zelensky discussed.

The State Department had not disclosed that Pompeo had been on the call with Zelensky. Democrats are also seeking to learn if State Department Counselor Ulrich Brechbuhl was listening in as well. On Friday, Democrats subpoenaed Pompeo for documents related to the administration’s dealings with Ukraine.

Thirteen minutes after the Wall Street Journal’s story on Pompeo was published, the  New York Times  reported that Trump sought additional foreign help with his political troubles. In a recent phone call with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, the Times reported, Trump sought information that could help discredit former special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russia’s attempts to influence the 2016 presidential election. That investigation was kicked off, in part, by the disclosure that former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos had discussed the Russian efforts with an Australian diplomat in London.

It wasn’t clear how Trump would benefit from reopening questions about the Mueller investigation, which ended in April with the publication of a report that Trump claimed, inaccurately, exonerated him completely.

Just as with Trump’s call with Zelensky, the White House restricted access to transcripts of his call with Morrison.

At 5:11 p.m. ET, the  Washington Post  reported that Attorney General William Barr also sought foreign assistance in building a case to discredit the Mueller report, by contacting British intelligence officials and personally traveling to Italy last week to meet with officials.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Reps. Adam Schiff, Jerry Nadler and Elijah Cummings cited Giuliani’s cable news appearances, saying the former New York City mayor “admitted on national television that, while serving as the president’s personal attorney, he asked the government of Ukraine to target” Biden.

“In addition to this stark admission, you stated more recently that you are in possession of evidence — in the form of text messages, phone records, and other communications — indicating that you were not acting alone and that other Trump Administration officials may have been involved in this scheme,” the chairmen wrote.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Minutes later, at 4:04 p.m., the    Wall Street Journal    reported that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was among those who listened in on Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that is the basis of the House investigation.Last week, when Pompeo was interviewed by ABC News, he  denied firsthand knowledge    about what Trump and Zelensky discussed.

The State Department had not disclosed that Pompeo had been on the call with Zelensky. Democrats are also seeking to learn if State Department Counselor Ulrich Brechbuhl was listening in as well. On Friday, Democrats subpoenaed Pompeo for documents related to the administration’s dealings with Ukraine.

Thirteen minutes after the Wall Street Journal’s story on Pompeo was published, the    New York Times    reported that Trump sought additional foreign help with his political troubles. In a recent phone call with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, the Times reported, Trump sought information that could help discredit former special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russia’s attempts to influence the 2016 presidential election. That investigation was kicked off, in part, by the disclosure that former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos had discussed the Russian efforts with an Australian diplomat in London.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    5 years ago

And deporables will cry fake news and witch hunt, they are too blind to facts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  lady in black @3    5 years ago

And the Russian hoax ad nauseam.  jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Hum, another "bombshell" for the shell shocked. I'm so glad that the dems on the committee decided to give up their vacations and work on this. They wouldn't give up a vacation for legislation or budgets but when it comes to this they (a little drum roll please) are dedicated to (believe it or not) the people and the Constitution/sar.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    5 years ago

Speaking of bombshells that turned out to be complete duds...where is that McCabe indictment you guaranteed us would be coming imminently, um, three weeks ago?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @4.1    5 years ago

You'll be the first to know. I promise!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    5 years ago

I won't hold my breath for that Vic since it's been a looooonnnnggggg time coming!

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

Stop going off topic now.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic01.nyt.com%2Fimages%2F2019%2F10%2F01%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2F01us-ambriefing-trump%2Fmerlin_161163735_5bd14f2c-af69-4839-afd3-25248363e3d9-articleLarge.jpg&t=1569931523&ymreqid=fe39a3dc-d5df-b447-1cff-040001014300&sig=PtP5PJD17hzMsWRoFIi04Q--~C
Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his wife, Jennifer, were guests at a state dinner at the White House last month.    Doug Mills/The New York Times

Scrutinizing another call with a foreign leader

President Trump recently   asked Australia’s prime minister, Scott Morrison, to help Attorney General William Barr   investigate the origins of the Mueller inquiry, according to two officials with knowledge of the call.
The Justice Department said last week that it was looking into whether other countries “played a role in the counterintelligence investigation directed at the Trump campaign.” Current and former Justice officials said that it was not necessarily illegal or untoward for Mr. Trump to ask world leaders to cooperate.
Background:   The F.B.I. began examining the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia after Australian officials reported that Russian intermediaries had offered damaging information about Hillary Clinton.
Related:   Access to a transcript of Mr. Trump’s call with the Australian leader was limited, similar to how the July discussion with Ukraine’s president was placed in a highly restricted computer system.   Here’s how it works .
Why it matters:   The call with Mr. Morrison again shows Mr. Trump using federal law enforcement to aid his political prospects.
Yesterday:   House Democrats   subpoenaed Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer , Rudolph Giuliani, in their impeachment inquiry. And Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, said a Senate trial would be unavoidable if the House impeached Mr. Trump.
The Daily:   Today’s episode   is about the history of impeachment.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago
Politics

Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney: Ukraine phone call is 'starting to seem like a political set up' against Donald Trump

aaaa2f80-fa39-11e8-8fbf-da9c00b689c4   Savannah Behrmann, USA TODAY, USA TODAY   9 hours ago  

Donald Trump lashes out at Democrats over impeachment

data_3_0.jpg?s=4c4087d72ffc17ebbdd40f3c375b8570&c=a7a7e73b1d461605b934469294017ef8&a=tripleplay4us&mr=0
Scroll back up to restore default view.

WASHINGTON – Republican Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming singled out House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Twitter and suggested that the phone call between President Donald Trump and his Ukrainian counterpart  "is starting to seem like a political set up."   

In her tweet, Cheney asked “what did you know and when did you know it?” of Pelosi while referencing the Democratic Speaker's "60 Minutes" interview in which she described talking to Trump about the call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky before it was released to the public.

Cheney continued, "This is starting to seem like a political set up.”

Pelosi launched an   impeachment inquiry  against Trump after Democrats expressed alarm over an August complaint  accusing Trump  of having "used the power of his office" to solicit foreign interference to   discredit Joe Biden , a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

The complaint also alleges that   White House officials sought to "lock down" records   of a July 25 phone call between Trump and Zelensky in which the president urged Zelensky to investigate Biden and his son, Hunter, who once had business interests in Ukraine. 

Twitter backlash:   Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger on President Donald Trump's 'Civil War' threat: 'Beyond repugnant'

Trump and his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani had been pushing Ukraine to investigate Burisma Group, a Ukrainian energy company where the vice president's son served on the board of directors.

“It is wrong for a president to say that he wants you – another head of state – to create something negative about his possible political opponent to his own advantage, at the expense of our national security, his oath of office to the Constitution and the integrity of our elections,” Pelosi said on "60 Minutes."

Last week, Trump and the Department of Justice  released a summary   of the phone call.

In a   separate tweet , Cheney accused Democrats of “careening from one impeachment to another," adding that they “can’t even wait 24 hours to see the transcript. Lesson: Evidence doesn’t matter to them.”

On "60 Minutes," Pelosi elaborated on her decision to move forward   with an official impeachment inquiry:   "We could not ignore what the president did. He gave us no choice. So, it wasn't any change of mind. I always said we will follow the facts where they take us. And when we see them, we will be ready. And we are ready." 

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:   Liz Cheney: Ukraine phone call 'political set up' vs. Donald Trump

How the fuck could it be a set up when tRump made the call and he and his stupid fuck lawyer Guiliani admitted it?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6    5 years ago

Gee Tess, how many articles are you going to seed here?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago

What's your problem?

Not that I give a shit if you do have a problem.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.1    5 years ago

No problem. It was a question

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago

Then shut up about it.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.3    5 years ago

No

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Democrats are also seeking to learn if State Department Counselor Ulrich Brechbuhl was listening in as well.

That would be very important since the WB claims that he was. I got a hunch he wasn't.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    5 years ago

So we'll go with your hunch then.  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    5 years ago

Really? You agree? jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

With you? 

NEVER.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8    5 years ago

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1    5 years ago

You need to shut up shutting up.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.1    5 years ago

My right to speak is sacred

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @8.1.1    5 years ago

Let him speak. I need the laugh.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.4    5 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.4    5 years ago

Well giggles is part of your name, isn't it?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    5 years ago

Trump said he was "Going to Drain the Swamp".... and he's off and running....as the "Lemmings" do whatever they can to "STOP" it ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Seems the "Left" has this NEED for the status quo to remain intact, and they will do any sleazy thing they can to keep it (Like adlibbing/LYING in a so-called important committee on National TV) Hey Adam....how's it going !!  jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @9    5 years ago

As usual you have no clue what you're talking about.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @9.1    5 years ago
As usual you have no clue what you're talking about.

Do explain......Paleeeeeez ! jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @9.1.1    5 years ago

Waste of time to try to explain anything to the clueless.  

It's much more satisfying to beat my head against the wall.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.2    5 years ago
Waste of time to try to explain anything to the clueless.  

You could always do the easy thing, and cut and paste.....since you're at a loss for actual words on the subject on your own ! jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif