The economy: US manufacturing at its worst level in a decade

Via:  krishna  •  3 weeks ago  •  31 comments

The economy: US manufacturing at its worst level in a decade

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

US manufacturing has taken a nose dive to its worst level in over a decade, a key gauge of those numbers reveals.

The Dow dropped 200 points Tuesday in response to the reading, erasing solid gains earlier in the morning and turning negative. The index has stoked fears over a trade war with China and the looming possibility of a recession on the first trading day in the fourth quarter.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Krishna
1  seeder  Krishna    3 weeks ago

The Dow dropped 200 points Tuesday in response to the reading, 

This is only going to get worse over time.

XDm9mm
1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Krishna @1    3 weeks ago

As is always said;

What goes up, must come down.

But you know as well as I do that, October is generally not a good month historically, the rest of the global economy is essentially in the tank, and the continual politispeak of recession has the people a bit skittish.  However, Americans, while being skittish are still in a big buying mood.

I wonder what the headlines will be tomorrow when the market recovers today's loss.

bbl-1
1.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    3 weeks ago

"Market recovers today's loss."  I also wonder that.  I also wonder what 'that event' would be based on.

Krishna
1.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    3 weeks ago
I wonder what the headlines will be tomorrow when the market recovers today's loss.

Wow-- I'm impressed!

How did you develop your psych powers? Did you take a course? Perhaps read some powerful spiritual books? Study with an enlightened yogi?

Krishna
1.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    3 weeks ago

But you know as well as I do that, October is generally not a good month historically,

Have you ever come across this sentence -- or something similar?

Past Performance is Not Indicative of Future results?

XDm9mm
1.1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  Krishna @1.1.2    3 weeks ago
Wow-- I'm impressed!

As well you should be!!  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Seriously, how many times recently has the market gone down only to recover the following day when the bullshit was cleared away.

Besides, at this point in time, all that's happening is a minor paper loss since it has a long way to go to lose what has been gained since Trump won the election.

Krishna
1.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.4    3 weeks ago
Seriously, how many times recently has the market gone down only to recover the following day when the bullshit was cleared away.

I totally agree.

Taken in isolation this may have little significance-- if any.

However I am looking at it in the context of the overall picture....

XDm9mm
1.1.6  XDm9mm  replied to  Krishna @1.1.3    3 weeks ago

Well, there is this:

Why Does the Stock Market Go Lower in October?

Investors' expectations have the ability to determine stock market performance, and unfortunately, this can work against equity prices. Since the early 20th century, the month of October has been associated not only with a lower stock market, but also prolonged bear markets, in which the stock market loses one-fifth of its value or more, and economic recessions. This has created a foreboding for market losses among investors when the calendar reaches the month of October each year.

Source:  https://finance.zacks.com/stock-market-lower-october-6428.html

Krishna
1.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.6    3 weeks ago

Are you a trader?

Or...do you own stocks?

XDm9mm
1.1.8  XDm9mm  replied to  Krishna @1.1.7    3 weeks ago
Are you a trader? Or...do you own stocks?

I'm not a day trader if that's your question.  And I most certainly am not a WS trader/broker!

The stocks I own are the old school traditional 'blue chips'....   Coke, GM, Ford, Caterpillar etc.   My BEST ever buy was 100,000 shares of American Airlines when they declared bankruptcy back in 2011.  I'm pissed that I didn't buy more.  Hell, I got it for 46 cents a share....  and that annoyed me because I acted too late.  Earlier it had been down in the low 30 cents a share.  Needless to say, it ain't anywhere near that number any longer!!!!  jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
1.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.6    3 weeks ago
Well, there is this:

Yes, there is that.

But you didn't answer my question, which was:

Past Performance is Not Indicative of Future results?

Krishna
1.1.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.8    3 weeks ago

Are you a trader? Or...do you own stocks?

I'm not a day trader if that's your question. 

No, that's not my question-- if it was I would've said so. But I did not say "day trader" because that was not my question. 

The stocks I own are the old school traditional 'blue chips'....   Coke, GM, Ford, Caterpillar etc.   My BEST ever buy was 100,000 shares of American Airlines when they declared bankruptcy back in 2011.  I'm pissed that I didn't buy more.  Hell, I got it for 46 cents a share....  and that annoyed me because I acted too late.  Earlier it had been down in the low 30 cents a share.  Needless to say, it ain't anywhere near that number any longer!!!! 

What made you decide to buy AAL at that time?

A lot of people beat themselves up for missed opportunities-- not a useful thing to do. (Even the smartest traders on the world occasionally miss an opportunity. Playing "shoulda, coulda, woulda" with yourself can be a downer-- I would recommend again doing that!

Krishna
1.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.6    3 weeks ago
Why Does the Stock Market Go Lower in October?

That's actuallly part of a larger saying:

Sell in May and go away.

Based on the assumption that the market peaks in May, and moves down from there 'till September or october. So it pays to see in May (which theoretically should be a peak and then the market goes down fromthere)-- after selling, go onvacation. Possibly 'till Sept or Oct when you can return and start buying-- at a bottom.

And that used to work pretty regularly.

The problem with these things is that once everyone finds out about these trends they stop working-- at least part of the time,

Krishna
1.1.12  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    3 weeks ago

Yes.

But a lot of people here don't fully show you the respect you are due for your financial expertise (hopefully they willfully realize that when,  "the market recovers today's loss."

Krishna
1.1.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    3 weeks ago

Well-- now you know!

Paula Bartholomew
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @1    3 weeks ago

Thanks to Trump's bs tariffs, manufacturers are leaving the US as never before.  The rest of the world is a target rich environment for the products that we can no longer afford to import.

XDm9mm
1.2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    3 weeks ago
manufacturers are leaving the US as never before.

Is that like the Apple announcement of opening a manufacturing facility in Texas?  

But, you do have links to support your assertion, don't you?

Krishna
1.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2.1    3 weeks ago

Is that like the Apple announcement of opening a manufacturing facility in Texas?  

They got a sweet deal, too!

The company will receive $25 million in taxpayer-funded incentives from the state, according to the  Austin American-Statesman .

In addition, the company has asked Williamson County, where the campus will be located, for fifteen years worth of property tax abatement.

Amazon could learn from Apple!

Texan1211
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @1.2.2    3 weeks ago

Smart of Texas to offer some incentives.

5000 jobs projected and an ability to expand to 15000 jobs--at an average salary of $58k or more will be tough to overlook.

Paula Bartholomew
1.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

Wow, one.

WallyW
1.3  WallyW  replied to  Krishna @1    3 weeks ago

Wishing and hoping will not make it so

Krishna
1.3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  WallyW @1.3    3 weeks ago
Wishing and hoping will not make it so

Who do you think is wishing it will get worse?

lady in black
2  lady in black    3 weeks ago

But doncha know tariffs pay for themselves s/ 

FLYNAVY1
3  FLYNAVY1    3 weeks ago

I've got four international plants that I have engineering responsibility for that manufacture for the telecom industry (antennas, coaxial cable, transcievers, Etc.).  They are as quiet as anyone can ever remember.  Some of the pullback is the slowdown in network markets. When it does come back, everyone will be screaming for 5G capable equipment. 

So to confirm, telecom is seeing the start of a recession in their markets.

Krishna
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3    3 weeks ago

I follow stock marjets pretty closely.

Basically the U.S. is the only place to invest-- with perhaps a few exceptions, markets (and economies) outside the U.S. are not doing well.. Even Europe.

I think Trump sees the world through the eyes of a U.S. Real Estate guy. If some competitor wins a deal, he loses. And vice-versa.

But if economies outside the U.S,. suffer, that's not a win for the U.S. Rather it hurts our economy (as world economies are too connected...),

And free trade benefits all parties...tariffs hurt everyone...

Krishna
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1    3 weeks ago

Now European tariffs are to increase!

From today's news:

U.S. to Impose Tariffs on EU Goods After WTO’s Airbus Ruling

Updated Oct. 2, 2019 8:27 pm ET

The U.S. plans to swiftly impose tariffs on $7.5 billion in aircraft, food products and other goods from the European Union after the World Trade Organization authorized the levies Wednesday, citing the EU’s subsidies to Airbus SE.

Kavika
3.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    3 weeks ago

And early next year the WTO will rule and set the tariff amount that the EU can inflict on the US...

This isn't going to be a one-way win for the US...The retaliation will come early next year. 

It Is ME
4  It Is ME    3 weeks ago

We have a major AOC type problem.

Business is constantly having to  "Move" because of folks like her !

They'll set up permanent shop, somewhere, eventually. Give it time.

Krishna
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @4    3 weeks ago
to  "Move" because of folks like her !

I do agree that opposition to Amazon's move to NY was really stupid!

It would have been an opportunity for NYers to have lower taxes,and would've resulted in inprovements to transportation (especially the subway system which Nyers are always complaining about).

Krishna
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @4    3 weeks ago
They'll set up permanent shop, somewhere, eventually. Give it ti

Already have-- Crystal City Va:

Amazon Starts Hiring For Crystal City Headquarters

Amazon expects to create 400 jobs in the Crystal City area by the end of 2019

It Is ME
4.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @4.2    3 weeks ago

When companies pack up and move, or start a new business expansion in a different state, it takes a bit of time to get up and running. It's like folks think it's as easy as "Snapping" ones fingers and POOF, there it is.