╌>

Missouri man set to be executed tonight could suffer a 'gruesome' death

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gooseisgone  •  5 years ago  •  9 comments

Missouri man set to be executed tonight could suffer a 'gruesome' death
An execution by lethal injection could cause prolonged suffocation and excruciating pain

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Missouri's governor has refused to stop what activists say would be "one of the most gruesome" executions in US history.

Russell Bucklew, 51, is scheduled to die by lethal injection at 6 p.m. (7 p.m. ET) Tuesday. He was convicted of first-degree murder, kidnapping and first-degree burglary in 1997.

Gov. Mike Parson turned down a clemency request, said his press office, without providing additional detail.

Bucklew suffers from a rare blood vessel disorder called cavernous hemangioma . The disease can cause tumors in the head and regular bleeding from the mouth, nose, eyes and ears.

An execution by lethal injection could cause prolonged suffocation and excruciating pain, Bucklew's attorneys have said. Bucklew argued the state should consider death by lethal gas as an alternative.

In April, the Supreme Court ruled against Bucklew in a 5-4 decision, which means plans for the lethal injection can proceed.

Justice Neil Gorsuch said the Eighth Amendment "does not demand the avoidance of all risk of pain" in carrying out executions.

He also said Bucklew had failed to "present any evidence" that the substitution of lethal gas would "significantly reduce his risk of pain," Gorsuch said.

But the American Civil Liberties Union said executing Bucklew would violate the Constitution's prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

And I should care why?    

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

Two hours to go Mr. Bucklew.  I feel nothing for you or your petty medical concerns.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    5 years ago

Well, we know where Gorsuch stands on the death penalty...

Not a fan of it myself. Let them suffer in their own private hell/cell the rest of their miserable lives.

Execution just seems like an easy out.

Sounds like he won't have much time anyway.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    5 years ago

I'm not going to lose a minutes sleep no matter how his execution goes.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7  dave-2693993    5 years ago

I wonder if his victim pleaded for mercy?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

"Fuck him.  He was trash." (Robert Loggia - Jagged Edge)