╌>

Vandals smash windows of Brooklyn synagogue during Rosh Hashanah prayers

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By  JTA, Reported by Times of Israel, October 2 2019

Mayor condemns ‘shocking act of hate,’ says police will find young women seen hurling milk crates at Williamsburg house of worship

williamsburg-e1570047366920-640x400.jpg

Vandals break the windows of the Rivnitz synagogue in Brooklyn during Rosh Hashanah services on September 30, 2019. Screen capture: Williamsburg News)

The windows of a synagogue in Brooklyn were smashed by vandals this week during Rosh Hashanah services.

A video showing people throwing milk crates at the Rivnitz synagogue in the Williamsburg neighborhood was circulated Wednesday on social media.

Police said that the incident took place on Monday afternoon and they were searching for two females who were seen in the video, according to WPIX-TV.

Mayor Bill de Blasio condemned the vandalism.

“This is a shocking act of hate,” he wrote on Twitter. “We WILL find the perpetrators and hold them responsible.”

"VIDEO: At Throop av x Bartlett st, 4 youngsters punched out a window of the Rivnitz shul with a heavy object during High Holiday prayers on Rosh Hashana, please contact ⁦ @NYPD90Pct ⁩ or  @WspuShomrim  7182370202 with any info.  pic.twitter.com/q2Mvavpdey "
— WILLIAMSBURG NEWS (@WMSBG)  October 2, 2019

The Anti-Defamation League said it was “deeply disturbed” by the video.

“At a time when the Brooklyn Jewish community is already on edge in the wake of a series of anti-Semitic incidents, it is extremely upsetting to see this congregation targeted during what is otherwise supposed to be a joyous celebration of the Jewish New Year,” Evan Bernstein, the regional director of the organization’s New York-New Jersey office, said in a statement.

There has been a spate of attacks in recent months against visibly Orthodox Jewish men in Brooklyn.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

KRYSTALLNACHT  USA

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

I don't think so, Buzz. It is bigotry, but more complex than that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago

Krystallnacht was the name given to the night of terror perpetrated by the Nazis in Germany against the Jewish places of business and worship by the smashing of their windows.  The incident related here was one of smashing the windows of a Jewish place of worship, and is therefore reminiscent of the original terror, notwithstanding WHO did it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago

Perrie, was this not reported by any of the local media?  I saw no American source, and it took an Israeli source to report it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

I am well aware of what Krystallnacht was. I am saying that this is a singular attack on a group of Jews, that have a long and difficult relationship with all of their neighbors. It doesn't make it right, but it is hardly what Krystallnacht was.

As for if this was covered by American papers, of course it was. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    5 years ago

When I did a search the seed was the only report of the incident on line.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Very disturbing, but Williamsburg has been having a lot of issues for a very long time. There are two competing communities there and they don't seem to get along. The Satmar Jews that live there don't even get along with other Jews since they are anti Israel. I don't condone these kinds of actions, but I do know the dynamics of the area and i think this could just be about bad feelings between groups rather than straight up antisemitism. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago

I guess we'll know the answer as to motive when the perpetrators are caught and their identity is established.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago
when the perpetrators are caught and their identity is established.

It can't come soon enough!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago
"Which brings us to the ultra-Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn. The attacks against the Jews of Crown Heights, Williamsburg and Boro Part are serious and growing more frequent.

Jews walking down the streets are beset by assailants who call them “Dirty Jew” and beat them with sticks and fists. Jews are sideswiped with bricks. Jewish women are assaulted, their head coverings violently removed. Synagogues are vandalized.

The violence against the Jews of Brooklyn is reminiscent of the black community’s violent pogrom against the Jews of Crown Heights in 1991. In August 1991, more than 180 members of the Chabad community were injured in a three-day, four-night pogrom carried out by African and Caribbean American rioters. Yankel Rosenbaum, a visiting student from Melbourne, Australia was brutally beaten and stabbed to death.

One of the main black leaders who incited the pogrom was Rev. Al Sharpton, the self-styled civil rights leader. Despite the fact that Sharpton never apologized for stirring up the mass violence against the Jews and then maintaining it for days after it first began, over the past decade, Sharpton has risen in stature in the Democratic party to the point where Democratic presidential hopefuls make pilgrimages to him in the hope of securing his endorsement. MSNBC gave him a show.

And, in recent months, as the Jews of Crown Heights again absorb blows from their African American neighbors, the Reform Jewish movement has joined Sharpton’s fan club."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    5 years ago

I guess I'm left to respond. Buzz, I think your'e on to something!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.1    5 years ago

That was one indication of who the perpetrators might be, which was not Perrie's opinion. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.2    5 years ago

I know. That is why I responded the way I did. 

It is one very valid indication, but as you say, we won't know until and unless somebody is caught. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    5 years ago

Buzz,

These are very two different events in two very different communities.

The one in Williamsburg is hard to tell what is going on. That particular sect of Jews is very hostile to even other Jews, so until an investigation is done, there is no way to know who did it or why. 

The one is Crown Heights started with the accidental death of a young black boy by a Chabad member backing up. Rev. Al made that mess. The area has always been tense due to housing issues between the Jewish Chabad members and the black community, but Sharpton made it worse. 

As for reform jews embracing Sharpton, I think you need to read this, from the oldest and also liberal reform paper:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.4    5 years ago

Thanks for posting that for me.  However, I'm going to use a word Coretta King used in speaking with Sharpton.  When it comes to Sharpton, "Talk is cheap."

You have no idea how I feel, especially because of my son, about the direction of the Reform movement, especially considering the psalm:  "Should I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand wither and my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth."

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.5    5 years ago

But Buzz, that is why I posted that article. To show you that the orginal article didn't do the reform movement any fairness. Yes, talk is cheap, but it's still better than not apologizing and not as good as action. Anyway, isn't this the time of year for forgiveness? (you do that as much for yourself as you do it for others).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.6    5 years ago

I have lost faith in the Reform movement - my Zionism supersedes it.  My right hand has not withered and my tongue does not cleave to the roof of my mouth.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    5 years ago

They love to attack on the Holy Days.

October 6, 1973 come to mind as well.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    5 years ago

Indeed Dave. Nothing ends a Yom Kipper quicker than a war.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    5 years ago

As Israel discovered.