╌>

Six elephants die at Thai waterfall after some tried to save calf that fell

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

Six elephants die at Thai waterfall after some tried to save calf that fell
"We understand that the elephants were trying to cross over to the other side of the river," a local official said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Dennis Romero

Six elephants died in an accident at a national park in Thailand, officials there said Saturday.

The elephants were on a steep hill near a waterfall when they fell into the water and drowned, Thailand's National Resources and Environment department said in a statement. The accident was reported Friday.

One of the elephants was a 3-year-old calf, according to the department. Two other elephants were found at the edge of the waterfall alive, officials said.

Badim Chansrikam, a local official, told Reuters that it appears a group of elephants was crossing a river when a smaller elephant slipped into the water and others mounted an unsuccessful rescue that also put them in peril.

"We understand that the elephants were trying to cross over to the other side of the river," the official said. "Probably, one of the smaller elephants might have slid and the adult ones were trying to rescue them but instead, were swept away by the water."

Authorities have temporarily closed the Haew Narok Waterfall in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima.

The waterfall is in Khao Yai National Park, where there are about 300 wild elephants.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I find elephants to totally amazing. Their level of empathy is off the charts as is their intelligence. This is a very sad example of it. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
I find elephants to totally amazing. Their level of empathy is off the charts as is their intelligence. This is a very sad example of it. 

Yes, elephants are extremely empathetic.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Magnificent as they are in size their intellect and empathy is even greater.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Sad story.  Creatures that sacrifice themselves for their fellows are always admirable. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

So sad.  The more I read about elephants, the more I think that maybe we should look to them for lessons in how to be good humans.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    5 years ago

Aww. Sad.

I am an idiot for nature. I was watching one of the Planet Earth shows and a Polar bear was attacking a sea lion. I found myself thinking, poor sea lion, come on, escape. It did escape then the bear ended up getting stabbed in the leg with one of its tusks. Severely hurt, it could no longer hunt and probably later died. Then I found myself feeling bad for rooting for the sea lion and thinking, one of them could have died then I wouldn't have had to see the bear more than likely die.

Nature is tough and can be cruel.

Elephants are very social. I have seen clips of them where when one dies they all hang around and mourn the loss. One by one gently touching as if saying goodbye.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @6    5 years ago
I have seen clips of them where when one dies they all hang around and mourn the loss. One by one gently touching as if saying goodbye.

I've seen clips of elephants on wildlife refuges doing the same for their human caretakers.  They know who their family is, even if some of the members aren't pachyderms.