╌>

'The Republican party has got to get a grip on itself'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

'The Republican party has got to get a grip on itself'
"Republican leaders and members of the Congress, both Senate and the House, are holding back because they're terrified of what will happen to of them if they speak out."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former Gen. Colin Powell said the Republican party needs to "get a grip on itself" as Republicans flock to defend the president while the impeachment inquiry continues

The former secretary of state told a crowd at The Jefferson Series, an event hosted by The New Albany Community Foundation, that Republican leaders need to be comfortable speaking up when they see something wrong.

"The Republican party has got to get a grip on itself," Powell said. "Republican leaders and members of the Congress, both Senate and the House, are holding back because they're terrified of what will happen to of them if they speak out."

Powell added that the country's foreign policy is "in shambles right now."

"I see things happening that are hard to understand," he said.

The former secretary, who describes himself as a "moderate Republican," referenced the controversy surrounding the president's reported Sharpie extension of the path of Hurricane Dorian to reach Alabama and the administration's efforts to back up the president.

"This is not the way the country is supposed to run," he said. "And Congress is one of the institutions that should be doing something about this."

"We got to remember what the Constitution started with: "We the People," not "Me the President," he added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

They'll be hanging him in effigy by nightfall. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
They'll be hanging him in effigy by nightfall. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Trump have a go at Colin Powell.  In fact, I triple-dog dare him to have a go.  Attacking national heroes, especially when Trump does it, is never a good idea. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

670a5317093418dfd27676230ad203a3.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

"The former secretary of state told a crowd at The Jefferson Series, an event hosted by The New Albany Community Foundation, that Republican leaders need to be comfortable speaking up when they see something wrong."

This from the man who VISIBLY displayed unbelievable discomfort with younger Bush's determination that Iraq should be attacked but put loyalty ahead of speaking out.

Notwithstanding that, it was my belief that he should have been POTUS.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

d590f449d8203de4bd1257f71d5deab0dfad9474147474960729d7923de74cc7_1.jpg

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Meh he's a Hillary supporter. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    5 years ago

Powell.  "GOP needs to get a grip on itself."  ? ?

Really?  The GOP already has that grip and its name is Donald J. Trump.

Something else in going on here and I believe the first real indication of it was revealed at Helsinki.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Obama voter doesn't like Trump...

Wow. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    5 years ago

And yet about 6 million 2x Obama voters are the reason that Trump is our President.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    5 years ago

Explain Trump.

freepress
Freshman Silent
9  freepress    5 years ago

They lost their grip when they allowed a seriously flawed person like Trump to be nominated. It has gone totally downhill from there. The Republican exodus on the 4th of July to visit Russia was the total capitulation of American democracy. If Trumpsters didn't dump the Republican party after that, they cowardly believe they don't have to stand up for America or democracy as long as a gullible base lets them get by with it. They buried their own party knowing that their base will never do anything but vote Republican no matter how they betray all of us.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Former Gen. Colin Powell said the Republican party needs to "get a grip on itself"

They should become the "Democrat" party ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

They (Democrats) stick together through Nutz and mixed Nutz in their own ranks ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
11  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Yes, Republicans do need to decide if they want to go back to the status quo.  It's good that these status quo figures are pushed into news cycle so that Republicans are reminded they need to make a choice.

Republicans can either return to the past (which Democrats want, as well) or Republicans can continue to revitalize the party.  Collin Powell is demanding that Republicans ignore the voters and conform to the status quo.   Trump is demanding that Republicans listen to the voters and throw these status quo figures under the bus.

That's the choice Republicans must make.  

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @11    5 years ago

So the choice is...be a republican or be a trump republican....

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
12  livefreeordie    5 years ago

No one but the left listens to or cares what Powell has to say.  He has proven that he is and always has been on the left.