╌>

Pat Robertson ‘Appalled’ By Trump: He ‘Allowed Khashoggi to Be Cut in Pieces,’ May Lose ‘The Mandate of Heaven’ Over Syria

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  130 comments

Pat Robertson ‘Appalled’ By Trump: He ‘Allowed Khashoggi to Be Cut in Pieces,’ May Lose ‘The Mandate of Heaven’ Over Syria
“The President, who allowed [Jamal] Khashoggi to be cut in pieces without any repercussions whatsoever, is now allowing the Christians and the Kurds to be massacred by the Turks.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Televangelist  Pat Robertson  has joined the  chorus of conservative critics  lambasting President  Donald Trump’s  decision to pull U.S. forces out of Northern Syria — endangering America’s Kurdish allies.

Trump was   slammed by many of his usual defenders   on Monday after the White House announced the U.S. will allow for a Turkish military operation in the war-torn region. Trump argued in a statement that Turkey will assume responsibility for all ISIS fighters captured in the region, many of whom were detained by Kurdish forces allied with America. The Turkish government views these Kurdish militias as terrorists — despite the U.S. supporting them in the fight against ISIS.

Trump   shot back   at his critics on Twitter by defending his position while promising that “if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey.”

Robertson said he was “absolutely appalled” by the announcement, warning that Turkish President   Recep Tayyip Erdoğan   is a “thug” and a “dictator.”

“To say he’s an ally of America is nonsense. He’s in for himself,” said the   700 Club   host. “The President, who allowed [ Jamal ]   Khashoggi   to be cut in pieces without any repercussions whatsoever, is now allowing the Christians and the Kurds to be massacred by the Turks.”

Robertson concluded by saying “The President of the United States is in danger of losing the mandate of Heaven if he permits this to happen.”

video at link

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

This is disconcerting. Does this mean Trump is no longer a born again Christian? I fear for his immortal soul. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
I fear for his immortal soul.

If there was anyone who displayed the complete lack of any human soul, it is Donald Trump.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

What soul?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.3  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

salvation in Christ has nothing to do with a foreign policy action, nor did Robertson say so or even suggest it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3    5 years ago

I have a question. Is the Mandate Of Heaven something Pat Robertson can give or take away ? 

Trump wants to know. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.3.2  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.1    5 years ago

the Mandate of heaven isn't a Christian biblical term.  Some Christians like Robertson have misused it to say that Trump's presidency is annointed of God.  I love Pat and the last time we were together at a dinner over a decade ago I thought he was already losing his sharpness.  While he's right that the president is making a mistake in this decision, it has NOTHING to do God's approval or disapproval.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.3  Krishna  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3.2    5 years ago

God does not like Trump! (God told me that the last time we had dinner together!)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.3.4  Larry Hampton  replied to  Krishna @1.3.3    5 years ago

Yup. Last time Jesus and I hit up the Starbucks, he was dissin' Trump and Roberts both. Said something about rippin' the Mandate up.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @1.3.2    5 years ago

'christians' like Robertson have always been a thorn in Jesus' side

Bedtime Story (S2E17)

Synopsis: The girls have guests coming into town so they reminisce about past bedtime experiences

80s Flashback
Rose: “I forgot to say my prayers.”
Dorothy: “Oh Rose, God wouldn't mind if you skipped a night. He's very busy these days. Most of his free time is spent talking to Pat Robertson.”

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

We knew he would be throwing out a serious diversion at some point.  And on que, here it is.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1  CB  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2    5 years ago

Yeah. Trump keeps 'situations' in abeyance until he can exploit or use as a misdirection.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    5 years ago

He campaigned on stuff like this. Why is anyone surprised?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3    5 years ago
He campaigned on stuff like this. Why is anyone surprised?

I don't remember Trump campaigning on bailing on the Kurds. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @3.1    5 years ago

What part of removing US troops from all foreign conflicts didn't you understand? 

You can thank the butt munches Bush Jr and Obama for this dumbass situation. We never should have been in Syria in the first place.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.1    5 years ago
What part of removing US troops from all foreign conflicts didn't you understand? 

The part that came right after Mexico would pay for the wall. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @3.1.2    5 years ago

EDqZamUU8AAH4W2?format=jpg&name=small

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Calling All Christians !

Is Trump facing eternal damnation because of this? 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.1  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago
salvation in Christ has nothing to do with a foreign policy action, nor did Robertson say so or even suggest it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago
Is Trump facing eternal damnation because of this? 

Definitely.

I have personal knowledge that Jesus (Peace be Upon Him) has commanded that Trump burn in eternal Hellfire for all Eternity-- for all of his sins. Hellfire, Eternal Damnation-- the works!The lies.

Oh, The fornication! Etc. Lust, greed, etc. 

(A president cannot be condemned to Hell while still in office-- but after he's impeached and removed from office-- only then can a vengeful God strike! And he will!). 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @4.2    5 years ago

Father Bob would say you don't get to sit in judgement.

But I like the way you think

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    5 years ago

71835265_1383394858488785_3347340087066099712_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQmuNPJpiBxN-dXGpRUuO1dPwILXdK0yh2phoCDFZyVu1AMSDxUBi-Y13WnWaCBnsEs&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=f403dbe9ff7976d0933eb326abb956ab&oe=5E1D7A7D

Those folks who sit in judgment are just the worst!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

The devil made him do it. 

patrobertsonSatanic.png

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

Good one Kavika. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

In my opinion, the Democrats are the pawns of Satan

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2    5 years ago

You were more believable when you were a hippie. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Kavika   replied to  livefreeordie @5.2    5 years ago

I thought that they were Commies and traitors. Now they are pawns of Satan....Multi-tasking are they?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.2.3  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.1    5 years ago

I'm still a hippie.  Surely you remember the Jesus movement of the 70s.  Plenty of us Christian hippies.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.2.4  livefreeordie  replied to  Kavika @5.2.2    5 years ago

same thing

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.5  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.1    5 years ago

LOL!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.6  Krishna  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2    5 years ago

I'm not in the least bit surprised (that you would think that).

Having many other bizarre thoughts lately?

Any unusual pounding in the head? Really bad headaches?

Hallucinations?

Strange dreams, perhaps?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.2.7  livefreeordie  replied to  Krishna @5.2.6    5 years ago

No, just following what Jesus gave us.  If you don’t serve God you are serving Satan

Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for  I proceeded forth and came from God;  nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. You are of your father the devil, and the  desires of your father you want to  do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and  does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

John 8:42-47 

Jesus said “This is a war, and whoever is not on my side is against me, and whoever does not gather the spoils with me will be forever scattered.”   Luke 11:23 TPT

“But because the rest of you have forsaken the Lord and his Temple and worship gods of “Fate” and “Destiny,” therefore I will “destine” you to the sword, and your “fate” shall be a dark one; for when I called, you didn’t answer; when I spoke, you wouldn’t listen. You deliberately sinned before my very eyes, choosing to do what you know I despise. Therefore, the Lord God says: You shall starve, but my servants shall eat; you shall be thirsty while they drink; you shall be sad and ashamed, but they shall rejoice. You shall cry in sorrow and vexation and despair, while they sing for joy. Your name shall be a curse word among my people, for the Lord God will slay you and call his true servants by another name.”

Isaiah 65:11-15 TLB

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.2.8  katrix  replied to  Krishna @5.2.6    5 years ago

Speaking in tongues ... check. And I'm being serious.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.2.9  katrix  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2    5 years ago

Yet the Republicans support the most unethical, immoral, dishonest President in living memory. Oh, and the least religious.

Not sure that someone who claims to speak in tongues has judgment anyone should trust, however.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.2.10  katrix  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.7    5 years ago
If you don’t serve God you are serving Satan

I still don't quite see why you worship an evil god, who is a genocidal maniac, and despise Satan - who only killed a few people and that was at God's instigation. You have a very odd idea of what morality and evil are. God was pissed at a pharaoh but instead of smiting the pharaoh, God murdered all the firstborn male humans and animals. God let his fallen angels rape human women and instead of punishing the fallen angels, sent a flood to murder almost all humans and animals on the planet. God commanded its followers to rape and enslave virgin girls of their enemy tribes.

What did Satan ever do that was nearly as bad, anyway? You have two gods - and you worship the one that's incredibly evil, and hate the one who never did anything very bad.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @5.2.10    5 years ago
What did Satan ever do that was nearly as bad, anyway?

He told God to fuck off. That was basically it.

CB
Professor Principal
5.2.12  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.11    5 years ago

Gasp! TG - language ! My dear lady this is a certain indicator that you are angered by what you have read! Calm. Breath deeply. De-stress. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

My dearest friend. I would advice us mere mortals not to get in-between the 'split' between immortal beings. God has not 'been' to court and laid out a case. Anybody can be an accuser out of context using our limited understanding.

Indeed, some things about our world and its past are beyond our knowing - at least up to this point.

Let me end this way. Someone, I can't remember who I was reading, put it after this manner, were any one or all of humanity able to stand outside of time and space and stare at the height , depth , width , and length of time itself - our eyes we would see humanity's role in the universe, along with that of other creatures, on and off of Earth (if so), and simply say: "Yeah. So be it."

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.2.13  livefreeordie  replied to  katrix @5.2.10    5 years ago

[ Deleted - personal attack and proselytizing ]

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.2.14  livefreeordie  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.13    5 years ago

[Deleted]

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.2.15  al Jizzerror  replied to  katrix @5.2.8    5 years ago
Speaking in tongues ... check.

I thought you said "tongue in cheek".

My bad.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.2.16  al Jizzerror  replied to  katrix @5.2.10    5 years ago
You have two gods - and you worship the one that's incredibly evil, and hate the one who never did anything very bad.

The Old Testament God was a fucking asshole.

He allowed his Son to be crucified. 

Do you remember how he treated his most loyal follower, Job?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @5.2.12    5 years ago

Lucifer didn't say "better to rule in hell than serve in heaven"?

That's a kiss-off if you ask me.

To go off topic just a bit, do you have Amazon Prime Video? There's a really good show on there called "Good Omens". It's hilarious.

CB
Professor Principal
5.2.18  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.17    5 years ago

Jeopardy for 400, Alex. "What is 'Paradise Lost?'"

I am caught up on the series - Good Omens. It is intelligent humor. Michal Sheen is quite interesting in a way I can not quite explain. Both lead actors' portrayals are stellar. Not sure I will keep Amazon Prime for Season 2 arrival (I have too much television in my life, in my opinion. One of the interestingly disturbing facts about getting old...er is I tend to let stuff hang around me longer as I decide about it!) I will have to choose my beloved Netflix or Amazon Prime. I shall like to keep both! Also, some of Prime is not extraordinary in my opinion.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.2.19  al Jizzerror  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.17    5 years ago

Many religious fanatics expect everyone to respect their invisible Friend.

When something bad happens they blame their invisible enemy (Satan) even though it's supposedly "God's will".

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @5.2.18    5 years ago
"What is 'Paradise Lost?'"

Since that was a double jeopardy question, you doubled your winnings!

I didn't realize there was going to be a Season 2 for Good Omens. Can't wait!

CB
Professor Principal
5.2.21  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.20    5 years ago

The give-away about "Good Omens" is this: 1. In the listing it heading: Season 1. 2. In the last episode, Aziraphale mentions another apocalypse is coming: between Heaven and Hell vs. Humanity. He left the door open for it. Just in case!

NOTE : There is much talk however that the author Neil Gaiman is not expected to participate in another season .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @5.2.21    5 years ago

Hell and Heaven against Humanity? That oughta be good

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2.23  Freefaller  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.7    5 years ago

Or you're logically following available facts and evidence

Note I'm not saying you can't go with your emotions, feelings and opinions on this matter

Artie-3438207
Freshman Quiet
5.2.24  Artie-3438207  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.7    5 years ago

Anyone who doesn't share your religious beliefs is evil?

Tell me, why are children born malformed and diseased? Original Sin? Not genetic diversity, aka mutations, related to Biological Evolution?

Do you believe in the Immaculate Conception too? Really? <<giggle>> And Noah's Arc? I think there's another, err, much more likely explanation... 

Good to see you fellow mutants - you bring honor to our ancient ancestors!

I thought I'd drop by to see how everyone is doing, but it didn't take long to come across this judgmental self-righteousness spewing a heavy dose of scripture trolling. What a very dark trap - should be a warning label on the Bible.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.25  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.7    5 years ago

If you completely read Isaiah you'll find a passage that states:  "I form the light; and create the darkness; I make peace and create evil; I, the lord do all these things (Isaiah 45:7) (emphasis mine)

So before you use your bible to condemn something as being "against god" you better know who "created" it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.25    5 years ago
I make peace and create evil;

I knew it!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.27  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.3    5 years ago

Despite our differences, I think you are amazing looking.

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
5.2.28  NV-Robin6  replied to  Artie-3438207 @5.2.24    5 years ago

Our Artie from NV? Wow, I have wondered if you come here. How the heck are you?!

You've been sorely missed! As are the great NV participants.  I miss the way things used to be there. True intelligentsia!

I hope you stick here but you're right, it can be very dark here. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.29  Split Personality  replied to  Artie-3438207 @5.2.24    5 years ago

Welcome back Artie !!!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.30  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @5.2.3    5 years ago

Meh, you look way better with short hair.

[Deleted]

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago
The devil made him do it. 

Well, OK then-- perhaps h,e should get a lighter sentence.

Not burning in Hell for All Eternity-- maybe just for a few thousand years!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @5.3    5 years ago

I vote chained to the furnace in the basement of Trump Towers for eternity. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     5 years ago

So Democrats are a pawn of Satan, Commies, and traitors.

I guess that applies to the democratic members of the military as well...Damn, a huge number of our service members are traitors, commies and pawns...We better get JAG on this ASAP. 

It's difficult at best to take your comments without falling down laughing. They are bizarre, to say the least.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    5 years ago

It cracks me up that the leftists on this site are 1) huge war hawks and 2) aligned with Pat Robertson. And all because they just hate Trump that much. When Obama wanted to bring troops home, y'all stood up and cheered. Now, if you want to bring home troops, you hate America or something.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @7    5 years ago
Now, if you want to bring home troops, you hate America or something.

Trump's not "bringing home the troops." If he does this it a mere 2000 troop in Syria. 

If he really wanted to bring home the troops he'd bring home those in Afghanistan-- there are many thousands more there.

No, its not about bringing home te troops-- rather, its about kow-towing to hispuppet-master, Erdogan!

(he even admitted it to Steve bannon a while back-- sand explained why) 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @7.1    5 years ago
a mere 2000 troop

Tell that to their families.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @7.1    5 years ago

Yes, because the left and the chicken hawks were so open with Trump negotiating with the Taliban to get US forces out of Afghanistan./S

Is it any wonder Trump kept the talks from Congress and the people. The chicken hawks are running wild.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2  CB  replied to  Tacos! @7    5 years ago

Excuse you! I am not aligned with Pat Robertson. And it grits my teeth that this man would dare to invoke in a proper context the name of Jamal Khashoggi, if he has never done so before now, just because some fellows believers are going to be discomforted, injured, brutalized, and killed. Right is right at all times. Wrong is wrong at all times.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @7    5 years ago

What's the cost to bring those troops home Tacos?  60,000....100,000 Kurdish lives?  Lives of the allies whom spilled blood to reduce/eliminate ISIS?  The same ISIS that you worried about would start operating in the United States if not eliminated?

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.3.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.3    5 years ago
What's the cost to bring those troops home

They haven't come home.  The scuttlebutt is that they just been moved "in the region".

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.3.2  Tacos!  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.3    5 years ago

I don't understand what it is you think you want the US to do specifically. We went to Syria to kill ISIS, not to liberate the Kurdish people. Do you want us to create a new country or something? Kurds live in basically three different countries - Syria, Turkey, and Iraq. Are we supposed to go to war with all three of them?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8  Gordy327    5 years ago

Does anyone even care what Pat Robertson has to say? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327 @8    5 years ago

No, but thanks for asking.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
8.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Gordy327 @8    5 years ago
Does anyone even care what Pat Robertson has to say? 

Pat Robertson once said his invisible Friend told him that Romney would win big in 2012.

Don't you find it amusing that "the Lord" lies to Pat Robertson.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  al Jizzerror @8.2    5 years ago

Dont be too down on him. He had a 50-50 chance (more or less) of being right . jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.1    5 years ago

Actually, all kidding aside, I agree with him.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8.2.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  al Jizzerror @8.2    5 years ago
Don't you find it amusing that "the Lord" lies to Pat Robertson.

Ha!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2.4  Krishna  replied to  al Jizzerror @8.2    5 years ago
Don't you find it amusing that "the Lord" lies to Pat Robertson

Generally speaking, The Lord (Peace Be Upon Him) is pretty honest. 

But every once in a while (especially when dealing with a nutcase like Pat Robertson) his mischievous side surfaces-- The Lord (PBUH) definitely like to fool around once in a while-- doing a little innocent trolling as it were....

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2.5  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.1    5 years ago

Dont be too down on him. He had a 50-50 chance (more or less) of being right .

Good point. 

There's an old saying:

Even a stopped clcok is right twice a day!

(And if that doesn't apply to The Lord (PBUH)-- then who would it apply to?

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2.6  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.2.2    5 years ago
Actually, all kidding aside, I agree with him.

Agree with who-- The Lord! (pbuh)

Well then all I can say is-- HALLELUJA!

freepress
Freshman Silent
9  freepress    5 years ago

Trump is as far from godly as imaginable. It is almost hilarious how the right wing hypocrisy flows like a mighty river. They decry foul language from "libtards" but never bother to even listen to his recent foul mouthed tirade at a taxpayer funded "rally" in Minnesota where he imitated sex noises by personally re-enacting his own twisted mind take over texts between two people no longer in government. It was beyond un-Presidential, it was absolutely obscene.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
9.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  freepress @9    5 years ago

No he closely resembles Vidar the God of vengeance. Notice even the hair is similar. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Dean Moriarty @9.1    5 years ago

Cool god. Lol

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.2  CB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @9.1    5 years ago

Dean, please. Donald Trump abandoned people to die on the battlefield. And, we will pay the cost: You betcha!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
9.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gordy327 @9.1.1    5 years ago
Cool god. Lol

"The shootings followed the release of materials some have called a manifesto but that has more accurately been called a “media plan.” In it are multiple medieval references, several involving medieval Vikings, which these days function as a signal to white supremacists. Along with much else from the European medieval world, the Viking past is part of the far right’s standard visual and textual imaginary."

But far-right Viking medievalism is not about historical accuracy. Rather, it’s used to create narratives. So, to resist the medieval narratives that activate violent hate, we must create counternarratives — and to do that, we must understand the real Viking past and how it has been weaponized.

Despite the fact that real Viking history was multicultural, academic medieval studies have historically been to blame for the upholding of that imaginary past.

In the 19th century, Romantic German nationalism metastasized into the Völkish movement, which was interested in historical narratives that bolstered a white German nation state. The movement rewrote history, drawing on folklore such as that of Brothers Grimm, medieval epics and a dedication to racial white supremacy."

I don't think there's any doubt about those who view Trump as some Viking God and why they revere him.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dean Moriarty @9.1    5 years ago

The hands are too large.