╌>

The Humiliation Of Lindsey Graham

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  40 comments

The Humiliation Of Lindsey Graham
He traded his honor to be “relevant” as a Trump adviser. But on Syria, Trump didn’t bother to ask what he thought.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It was a   cri de cœur   from Lindsey Graham, the lament of the sycophant scorned.

President Trump’s decision to abandon our Kurdish allies in Syria by leaving them undefended against a Turkish invasion was, Graham tweeted, “a disaster” and a “nightmare.”

As Monday morning wore on, he expanded his indictment. Betraying the Kurds would force them to align with the Assad regime and Iran and would ensure the comeback of ISIS. It would be, he tweeted, “a stain on America’s honor,” and a virtual surrender to the terrorists.

“President Trump may be tired of fighting radical Islam,” he wrote pointedly of his good friend. “They are NOT tired of fighting us.” And he commented on the signal Trump’s decision sent to the world: “By abandoning the Kurds we have sent the most dangerous signal possible – America is an unreliable ally and it’s just a matter of time before China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea act out in dangerous ways.“

In his cruelest cut of all, he compared Trump to Barack Obama. “No matter what President Trump is saying about his decision,” wrote Graham on Twitter, “it is EXACTLY what President Obama did in Iraq with even more disastrous consequences for our national security.”

Graham’s disappointment was palpable, but understandable, given all that he has given up to avoid this moment.

For the last several years, Graham has transformed himself from one of Trump’s fiercest critics, into one of his most reflexive defenders. Even by the cynical and shape-shifting standards of Washington, Graham’s metamorphosis has been a thing of wonder. The senator once known as John McCain’s best friend in the Senate, transformed himself into Trump’s shinebox, willing to ingratiate himself with rationalizations and praise even as Trump became increasingly erratic.

At first, it was a mere curiosity. During the 2016 campaign, Graham had called Trump a “nutjob” and a loser,” as well as a “a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot.” He predicted that if the GOP nominated him, “we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.”

But as McCain faded from the scene, Graham seemed to shift his affections to the man who so publicly insulted McCain.

Graham and Trump became a   thing . They played golf. They talked on the phone. And an alliance of the oddest imaginable bedfellows was born.

In moments of candor, Graham tried to explain the deal he thought he was making. When Mark Leibovich   asked him   earlier this year what had happened to him, Graham explained:

“Well, O.K., from my point of view, if you know anything about me, it’d be odd not to do this,” he said.

I asked what “this” was. “ ‘This,’ ” Graham said, “is to try to be relevant.” Politics, he explained, was the art of what works and what brings desired outcomes. “I’ve got an opportunity up here working with the president to get some really good outcomes for the country,” he told me.

Like many others in his party, staying “relevant” was central to their political calculations. Capitulating to Trump meant that Graham would become a rock star in the increasingly Trumpist party and virtually assured of re-election in South Carolina next year.

He would also have the president’s ear. And this was at the heart of Graham’s Bargain.

Graham told himself: by staying close to Trump, he could influence him and prevent horribly bad decisions. Others made the same calculation, but Graham made the uber-tradeoff, because the stakes were so high. What did it matter if he had to endure temporary embarrassments, abase himself on cable television, or even become a political punchline, if he could stop Trump from impulsive decisions regarding Russia or North Korea? Or Syria?

The world saw Graham as a craven, cringing Uriah Heep. Graham saw himself as someone who could save the world, or at least the Kurds.

Graham calculated: If he didn’t play golf with Trump and indulge his penchant for pillow talk, Trump would be putting and chatting with Rand Paul, listening to the counsels of isolationism, appeasement and international amorality. He was not simply the adult in the room; he was the adult BFF in the room, who would temper Trump’s worst instincts.

And then came Trump’s decision.

Despite Graham’s compulsive turd-polishing of the last few years, Trump didn’t even consult him before making the decision to abandon the Kurds. Graham, who had given up so much self-respect to prevent just this outcome, was not even in the room. He didn’t even get a text.

This is the thing about Faustian bargains. The price is high and the rewards turn out to be illusory. They end badly.

This week, Lindsey Graham, found that out the hard way. I wonder what they’ll talk about the next time they go golfing together.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
At first, it was a mere curiosity. During the 2016 campaign, Graham had called Trump a “nutjob” and a loser,” as well as a “a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot.” He predicted that if the GOP nominated him, “we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.”

But as McCain faded from the scene, Graham seemed to shift his affections to the man who so publicly insulted McCain.

Graham and Trump became athing. They played golf. They talked on the phone. And an alliance of the oddest imaginable bedfellows was born.
... Despite Graham’s compulsive turd-polishing of the last few years, Trump didn’t even consult him before making the decision to abandon the Kurds. Graham, who had given up so much self-respect to prevent just this outcome, was not even in the room. He didn’t even get a text. This is the thing about Faustian bargains. The price is high and the rewards turn out to be illusory. They end badly.

Graham is both irrelevant to Trump and a Trump asskisser.  That has to sting. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2  al Jizzerror    5 years ago

She's a fucking lawyer who is advocating violating the whistle blower law.

Butt she's finally criticizing The Donald for fucking over the Kurds.

Good girl, Lindsey.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  al Jizzerror @2    5 years ago

Hey, can't a girl change her mind ?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  al Jizzerror @2    5 years ago

Girl?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    5 years ago

Lyndsey has been rumored to be a tad light in the loafers, as he's never been married.

I'm sure McCain has been spinning in his grave, hopefully this slows him down.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.2    5 years ago

i'm Happy Lyndsey is possibly also Happy, aren't you ?

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.2.1    5 years ago
he's never been married.

Because of Obergefell v. Hodges (2015), Lindsey might get married (especially if Moscow Mitch sheds his beard).

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  al Jizzerror @2.2.4    5 years ago

i had to look that one up

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.2.5    5 years ago
i had to look that one up

It's on the front page (in the "funnies").

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.7  al Jizzerror  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.2    5 years ago
What are you trying to say?

The title of this article is "The Humiliation of Lindsey Graham".

I enjoy making fun of Lindsey's androgynous name and the fact that she's never been married.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.2.1    5 years ago

Does that mean that President James Buchanan was also "light in the loafers" as he was unmarried when POTUS?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.9  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.8    5 years ago

I don't know, was he extra happy too ?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.2.9    5 years ago

LOL...no idea.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.12  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.11    5 years ago

i've never been married, 

you do the math

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2.8    5 years ago

I've heard rumors that Buchanan was gay

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.15  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.14    5 years ago

Hmmmmmm

sounds like mmmmmmH    ,     spelled backwards.

I do not care who might be gay, what i do find a tad concerning, is if you are, in this day and age, just come out already.

living a lie, while defemding a liar, is no way to go through life, imho 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.16  al Jizzerror  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.11    5 years ago
So, is there something wrong with not being married? 

Please review comment #2.2.7

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.17  al Jizzerror  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.13    5 years ago
I've heard rumors that Buchanan was gay

Well Pat Buchanan did love Dick (Nixon).

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.18  JBB  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.14    5 years ago

I believe the fault which many legitimately find with Lindsey Graham is him being a self loathing closet case who backs anti-LGBT policies and discriminatory legislation in the daytime while he cruises gay bars, XXX Gay Videos Arcades and public men's restrooms at night. Besides, the poor olde tortured thang living a lie in the shadows is psychologically unhealthy. No wonder he is such a drama queen...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.19  al Jizzerror  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.14    5 years ago
What’s wrong with him being gay? Sounds like he is being made fun of because he may be a homosexual.

As I stated above (2.2.7)

The title of this article is "The Humiliation of Lindsey Graham". I enjoy making fun of Lindsey's androgynous name and the fact that she's never been married.

Butt the real reason is because Lindsey humiliates herself.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.22  al Jizzerror  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.21    5 years ago
He must really get under your skin.

I find Lindsey's political hypocrisy amusing.

PJ
Masters Quiet
3  PJ    5 years ago

I cannot wait to see the what Trump has on Lindsey.  Lindsey is a fool if he doesn't think Trump is going to release whatever he has on him once he's out of office.   Trump's going to release dirt on as many people as he can because he's not a man of honor.   It's going to happen we just don't know when.  Lindsey is going down in flames eventually.  hahahahahahaha

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  PJ @3    5 years ago

I can't wait to see what Putin holds over Trumps head, as no one could be that subserviant without reason

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  PJ  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1    5 years ago

Yes, that's probably what will trigger Trump releasing his dirt. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  PJ @3.1.1    5 years ago

Trump releasing who's dirt ?

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.3  PJ  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.2    5 years ago

The dirt he's collected on all those sycophants.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  PJ @3.1.3    5 years ago

yea, he's got a few of those.

Unbelievable if you look at Lyndsey's comments before trump was potUS.

What a spineless individual.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
3.1.5  al Jizzerror  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.4    5 years ago
Unbelievable if you look at Lyndsey's comments before trump was potUS.

I thought it was cute when they had sadomasochistic phone sex in public.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  PJ @3    5 years ago

What he doesn't have, he will make up.