╌>

The Genius of That SNL Sketch on Race

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  39 comments

The Genius of That SNL Sketch on Race
On the latest episode, the show departed from its dependence on guest stars to deliver a fresh, hilarious take on stereotypes.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Newscasters should never riff on race while reading the day’s headlines, let alone play games on the subject. But during   Saturday Night Live ’s latest episode, a group of anchors did exactly that in a memorable sketch from   an otherwise uneven night .

Mid-Day News ” began with a classic   SNL   setup: the local news program, set somewhere in Florida, with four anchors (played by the host Phoebe Waller-Bridge and the cast members Kenan Thompson, Ego Nwodim, and Alex Moffat) reading the top stories. When the perpetrator of a gas-station robbery turned out to be white, the black anchors cheered. “We’re just glad we know what the criminal looks like, and he ain’t one of us,” Thompson’s character explained to his baffled colleague. The newscast then swiftly turned into a ferocious competition: With every crime, the foursome anticipated the race of the culprit. And with every reveal, the group found their expectations subverted....

The sketch didn’t touch on politics via the goings-on in Washington, D.C., but its commentary was political nonetheless. In avoiding the daily minutiae of Capitol Hill, “Mid-Day News” stood out—eschewing the gimmicks and guest stars that have  come to dominate   SNL ’s takes on the topic.....

Still, “Mid-Day News” successfully explored an uncomfortable truth: Everyone harbors assumptions about race—and when it comes to the news, it’s important to read past the headline. Perhaps that’s an obvious reminder, but in real life, it’s an embarrassing one to admit. On   SNL , however, it’s the perfect fodder for a standout sketch.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Probably one of the best skits I have seen in years and totally spot on. Good discussion can be had from this.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2  Sunshine    5 years ago

That is the old SNL I loved.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sunshine @2    5 years ago

Amen sister.  Amen.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2  Ender  replied to  Sunshine @2    5 years ago

When SNL first started I thought it was mostly just silly skits. Rosanna Rosannadanna, a Samurai deli...Somewhere along the line it turned political.

I haven't really watched it in years. I don't mind an occasional political jab yet I usually turn to comedy shows to get away from things like that. I don't need to be bombarded with it on a 24 hour basis.

Social commentary is a different animal though. I think it can sometimes make people see the folly of their ways, with humour instead of derision.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @2.2    5 years ago

"I think it can sometimes make people see the folly of their ways, with humour instead of derision."

ala George Carlin. One of the best at making us laugh at ourselves.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Sunshine  replied to  Ender @2.2    5 years ago

At some point SNL lost what they are all about.

Being able to touch on any subject regardless of it's sensitivity and lampoon it without being mean.

I started watching SNL at the beginning and I don't remember a time it wasn't political.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Ender  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.2    5 years ago

I was young in the early years. Maybe just don't remember the political.

Would have probably gone over my head at the time anyway.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Sunshine  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.1    5 years ago
ala George Carlin. One of the best at making us laugh at ourselves.

He was SNL's first host.  Good way to start!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I loved the fact that they were not afraid to say what we all know is true. It was a very bold move and it worked, since they did it with no malice. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Still, “Mid-Day News” successfully explored an uncomfortable truth: Everyone harbors assumptions about race

I hate to disrupt all this back slapping, but I have to ask:   the assumptions are based on what?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    5 years ago

It could be for many reasons....bad experiences, how a person was raised, outside influences, or just plain ignorance.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1    5 years ago

Exactly Paula. We all know that this goes on.. but admitting it is a whole different thing.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    5 years ago

Imo some of the best comedy is actual social commentary.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1    5 years ago
It could be for many reasons....bad experiences, how a person was raised, outside influences, or just plain ignorance.

I'll agree with the first two but how would ignorance fit in on it's own "merit"? Seriously. Ignorance of what exactly? I could understand if you said that "they look different" but interested to know your definition of ignorance you used here and how that applies.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
5.1.4  cobaltblue  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1    5 years ago
just plain ignorance

Ding, ding, ding! 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
5.1.5  cobaltblue  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.3    5 years ago
definition of ignorance

This, for instance, is ignorant:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxLC4m5XpbzN02EeWltgM3LlKp3d93lKIhhVpcq7ImE6YD7vP0

You realize that ignorance is not stupidity, and I'm sure Paula meant its true definition. The real definition of ignorance is " lacking knowledge or  comprehension  of the thing specified."

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  cobaltblue @5.1.5    5 years ago

That to me is outside influence playing on ignorance (not realizing it's bullshit). NOT ignorance in and of itself. So I ask again, what does ignorance have to do with it (it WAS stated "or just plain ignorance"). Ignorance on its own is what I asked. Ignorance buys into "how a person was raised" and "outside influence" but does not explain the "OR in just plain ignorance" standing alone. Your take?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.3    5 years ago

Ignorance that comes from judging someone by the color of their skin and not the content of their character.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    5 years ago

Vic, did you watch the video? I think you would agree if you did.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2    5 years ago
Vic, did you watch the video?

I saw it on Saturday night (which I watch whenever possible). Agree to what? That it was a funny play on perceptions?  I got that side of it. Do I think it's really the way people think? Not even close...... I am sure there are some white people who see a picture of a black suspect and say to themselves "I knew it!"  On the other hand I don't think black Americans are saying that when the victim is white.  It is slightly different for both groups - this generality we see so much humor in.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.1    5 years ago

Vic,

After working with whites, blacks and Latinos for over 20 years and hearing their comments, I would say they are spot on. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.1    5 years ago
On the other hand I don't think black Americans are saying that when the victim is white.

Maybe not all but I'll go a dollar to a donut that there are many that do. Have you not heard the cries by our friends of color that they indeed are the only ones oppressed and "picked on" by law enforcement?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.2    5 years ago
After working with whites, blacks and Latinos for over 20 years and hearing their comments, I would say they are spot on. 

I appreciate that. I also have known a diverse group of people over a much longer lifetime. Black Americans know that the crime figures for them are way out of proportion. I think they simply prefer that there is less emphasis on that fact.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.3    5 years ago

Ya, I have duly noted. The reaction is different. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.3    5 years ago
Have you not heard the cries by our friends of color that they indeed are the only ones oppressed and "picked on" by law enforcement?

You mean stories like these wouldn't make them feel a bit picked on by our justice system:

You mean no one else has missed jury duty in West Palm Beach? I would like to know if this judge will do this to the next white person who does this. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.6    5 years ago

btw.. this kind of makes the point for the skit. Why in the privacy of their own homes, this is what people talk about.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.6    5 years ago
I would like to know if this judge will do this to the next white person who does this.

Everyone is subject to non-appearance contempt if chosen. This guy was evidently chosen and either forgot or didn't care about being a part of the justice system. While I agree the jail time was excessive (most states if I am not mistaken, give you three days. And the judge said if he did 30 hours of community service, he would vacate his contempt order. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.3    5 years ago

The prisons are full of people that are not of color.  I guess law enforcement picked on them also.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    5 years ago

Haha.  A Latino man...No we don't want to talk about that right now...

Hahaha

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @6    5 years ago

I know! That was too funny.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    5 years ago

You have to start with asking why "crime" is the highlighted subject on almost all local news programs. While the existence of a crime wave in a specific neighborhood is useful news for the people in that neighborhood, it has no meaning to people 10 miles away in a different part of the city. No meaning other than for the viewer to gawk at it.  It is a legitimate question for minority groups to ask - why all the stories showing mainly people in minority neighborhoods committing crime?   Is it for the entertainment of the whites?   There are people who base their opinions of blacks and Latinos on what they see on television. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago

John,

I think you missed the whole point of the video. Even the weather was racial. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    5 years ago

If you think I missed the point you probably missed the point. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.1    5 years ago

Please read 5.2.2 .

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
8  cobaltblue    5 years ago

Great skit! Loved the social commentary aspect of it in such a innocuous humorous way. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  cobaltblue @8    5 years ago
Loved the social commentary aspect of it in such a innocuous humorous way. 

Exactly CB. Glad you get it.