╌>

Best TV Commercial Ever?

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  15 comments

Best TV Commercial Ever?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

" I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony) " is a pop song that originated as the   jingle   "Buy the World a Coke" [1]   in the groundbreaking 1971 "Hilltop" television commercial for   Coca-Cola   and sung by   The Hillside Singers . "Buy the World a Coke" was produced by   Billy Davis   and portrayed a positive message of hope and love, featuring a multicultural collection of teenagers on top of a hill appearing to sing the song.

The popularity of the jingle led to it being re-recorded in two versions; one by   The New Seekers   and another by   The Hillside Singers , as a full-length song, dropping references to Coca-Cola. The song became a hit record in the US and the UK.

Origins

The idea originally came to   Bill Backer , an advertising executive working for   McCann Erickson , the agency responsible for   Coca-Cola . Backer,   Roger Cook   and   Billy Davis   were delayed at   Shannon Airport   in Ireland. After a forced layover with many hot tempers, they noticed their fellow travelers the next morning were talking and joking while drinking Coca-Cola. Backer wrote the line "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" on a napkin and shared it with British hit songwriters Cook and   Roger Greenaway .

The melody was derived from a previous jingle by Cook and Greenaway, originally called "True Love and Apple Pie" [2]   that was recorded in 1971 by Susan Shirley. Cook, Greenaway, Backer, and Billy Davis reworked the song into a Coca-Cola radio jingle, which was performed by English pop group   The New Seekers   and recorded at   Trident Studios   in London. The radio jingle made its debut in February 1971 before being adapted for the iconic Coca-Cola "Hilltop" television commercial later that year.

The commercial ended with the statement:

On a hilltop in Italy,
We assembled young people
From all over the world...
To bring you this message
From Coca-Cola Bottlers
All over the world.
It's the real thing. Coke.

The song became so popular that its creators revised it, adding three verses and removing product references to create a full-length song appropriate for commercial release. The full-length song was re-recorded by both   The Hillside Singers   and The New Seekers and both versions became huge hits. [3]

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Significance and reception

In 2007,   Campaign   magazine called it "one of the best-loved and most influential ads in TV history". [14]   It served as a milestone—the first instance of the recording industry's involvement with advertising.

Marketing analysts have noted Coca-Cola's strategy of marrying the idea of happiness and universal love of the product illustrated by the song.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The commercial has continued receiving accolades in more recent times. In 2000,  Channel 4  and  The Sunday Times  ranked the song 16th in the  100 Greatest TV Ads  while in 2005,  ITV  ranked the advertisement 10th in its list of the greatest advertisements of all time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Best TV Commercial Ever?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

I;ve seen those (Dr endorsing Camel cigarettes) is brilliant!

Sinister...evil...but very clever.

The pleasing mildness of a Camel

Good grief!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

I liked the Coke commercial-- I see it almost as artistic. Also obviously designed to stir up "warm fuzzies" which (they hope) will give people a positive emotional feeling attached to the product.

\Of course, thinking about it, the phrase "Its the real thing"  is really quite meaningless. 

Of coursde its the real thing-- if you're drinking real (trademarked and patented) Coke-- its a real Coke! Just as Pepsi is real Pepsi and Mountain Dew is real Mountain Dew, etc

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Fantastic!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

Nike has always had great commercials. (Actuallt they're a really well run company in many ways).

I even like the slogans their ad agency comes up with:

Because life is not a spectator sport

and of course 

Just Do It

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Many of the best commercials are Superbowl commercials. (And it cost the companies a fortune ..._

I've always liked the Bud Light commercials with the Clydesdale horses.

And then with the puppies as well.

This is one of the all-time best IMO:

:Puppy Love"

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    5 years ago

LOL!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I wouldn't call it the best commercial, but I sure liked the song.  One of my favs will always be Clara Peller..."Where's the beef?"

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Here's an oldie: "Evian Babies - Live Young"

The tune in that video"Rapper's Delight" has a very interesting history.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @10    5 years ago

"Rapper's Delight" is a 1979 hip hop track by the Sugarhill Gang and produced by Sylvia Robinson.

While it was not the first single to include rapping, "Rapper's Delight" is credited for introducing hip hop music to a wide audience. It was a prototype for various types of rap music, incorporating themes such as boasting, dance, honesty and sex, with the charisma and enthusiasm of James Brown.

The track interpolates[\\Chic's "Good Times", resulting in Chic’s Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards suing Sugar Hill Records for copyright infringement; a settlement was reached that gave the two songwriter credits. "Rapper's Delight" is number 251 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and number 2 on VH1's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs