╌>

Sandy Hook father awarded $450,000 in defamation suit against university professor

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  28 comments

Sandy Hook father awarded $450,000 in defamation suit against university professor

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Noah Pozner was one of 26 victims of the Sandy Hook shooting in December 2012.

A Wisconsin jury has awarded the father of a boy killed in the  Sandy Hook  Elementary School  shooting  $450,000 following a defamation lawsuit against a retired university professor who claimed the massacre never happened.

Leonard Pozner, whose 6-year-old son Noah was among 26 victims killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., in 2012, filed the defamation lawsuit against James Fetzer for disparaging comments he made about the tragedy.

Fetzer, a retired University of Minnesota Duluth professor now living in Wisconsin, and Mike Palacek co-wrote a book, "Nobody Died at Sandy Hook," in which they claimed the shooting was staged by the Obama administration in an effort to enact tighter gun control restrictions.

Pozner testified that he's received harassment and death threats from conspiracy theorists who claimed he was an actor and that his son never existed.

A separate defamation lawsuit by Sandy Hook parents against "Infowars" host  Alex Jones , one of the biggest proponents of the theory that the shooting never happened, is pending.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Pozner testified that he's received harassment and death threats from conspiracy theorists who claimed he was an actor and that his son never existed. 

“I had attempted to be transparent. I published Noah’s death certificate on a social media page I used as a memorial page. And after doing that I was accused of being a fake and a fraud and that changed everything,” he said, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

Along with other Sandy Hook parents, Pozner has spent years lobbying  Facebook   to remove conspiracist videos about the shooting from its platform.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Fetzer, a retired University of Minnesota Duluth professor now living in Wisconsin, and Mike Palacek co-wrote a book, "Nobody Died at Sandy Hook," in which they claimed the shooting was staged by the Obama administration in an effort to enact tighter gun control restrictions.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

Excellent, just excellent. Hopefully, the suit against Alex Jones will have the same result. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

Had the authors Fetzer and Palacek labeled the book as fiction or fodder for the rights of haters there would not be grounds for a lawsuit.

In my opinion however, the $450,000 fine is to lenient.  The fine should be judged by the word count in the book with the charges leveled at $2500 per word.  In other words, lie speech is not free speech.  If one wants to promote falsehood then that person must declare the intent with the work.

On an aside and very obviously off topic here, but I wonder if the authors of the "Nobody Died At Sandy Hook" are supporters of the current residents at the WH?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    5 years ago

What a weird story. I really don't understand the need to proclaim - nor the certainty - that the Sandy Hook shooting didn't happen. It defies common sense to think that so many first responders, distraught families, and school officials would or could coordinate in such a massive fabrication.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago

Really? 

What is Birtherism?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1    5 years ago
What is Birtherism?

Sounds like a different topic.

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.2  lib50  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.1    5 years ago

Related to stupid people believing the lies some people put out even when its obvious. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  lib50 @6.1.2    5 years ago
stupid people believing the lies some people put out even when its obvious

You could describe a lot of things that way, but not a lot of things that involve school officials, parents, and first responders - things mentioned in my comment. Birtherism involves none of those things. Just looking for something relevant to my comment.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6.1.4  Larry Hampton  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.1    5 years ago
What is Birtherism?

Sounds like a different topic.

Not necessarily. They both are both propagated by the same ideology. It is essential to perform all sortsa mental calisthenics to justify believing known libelous claims. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Larry Hampton @6.1.4    5 years ago

Do we really need to talk about Birtherism? Can we get back to the topic?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  lib50 @6.1.2    5 years ago

You are describing huge numbers Sanders or Warren supporters.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.6    5 years ago

You are describing huge numbers Sanders or Warren supporters.

Actually they are Alex Jones supporters. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  bbl-1  replied to  Larry Hampton @6.1.4    5 years ago

Thank you.  And I wonder if one would trace the 'origin of the idea' on these matters if one would find a Russian propaganda mechanism at work?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  bbl-1  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.5    5 years ago

Birtherism is why we are here.  It is the seed.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1.9    5 years ago
Birtherism is why we are here.  It is the seed.

You really gotta read before commenting. The seed is about the Sandy Hook shooting and a lawsuit related to it. There's nothing in the seed about birtherism.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.11  bbl-1  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.10    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.12  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.7    5 years ago
Actually they are Alex Jones supporters. 

Alex Jones supporters believe lies about Medicare for All being workable and a wealth tax being enforceable?  

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1    5 years ago

What is Birtherism?

And Holocaust Denial.

And the so-called "Deep State".

And there are many more examples of this sort of bizarre belief system.

What it is is a bunch of seriously paranoid nutcases believe any  conspiracy theory-- no matter how far-fetched it is, if it supportsttheir bizarre extremist political views..

It all the same type of behaviour that is typical of this particular type of dysfunctional personality 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.14  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.1.13    5 years ago

Of-- and 0/11. There were several weird conspiracie around that one!

One I remem

ber-- a lot of nutty paranoid types believed that no airplane actually hit the Pentagon-- it was all a hoax perpetrated by the so-called "Deep State"!

There were also people who were certain the perps were not Arab terrorists, but rather the people behind it were...The Jews! (Another version was that it was really George Bush and his cronies who planned and executed the attacks...)..people attempting to get you to believe these toital lies called themselves..."truthers"...LOL!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.15  bbl-1  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.10    5 years ago

[Deleted]

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.16  bbl-1  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.10    5 years ago

To much for ya, huh?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Should be a whole lot more. If one of my girls was a victim in a tragedy like this, and these cock suckers came out and called me a liar, they would be dead. No lawsuit. My agony and rage combining like that, I have no doubt that I would go and kill them. Perhaps given enough time I would be satisfied to simply ruin their lives, but my initial desires... 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8  Freefaller    5 years ago
A Wisconsin jury has awarded the father of a boy killed in the  Sandy Hook  Elementary School  shooting  $450,000 following a defamation lawsuit

Good, maybe that will encourage others not to publish there asinine gibberish about this and other similar incidents

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    5 years ago

Pay up nut case!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

A child goes to school one day in one piece.  At the end of that day they are filled with bullet holes.  But it never happened, right? /s