╌>

The Man Who Oversaw The Raid To Kill Bin Laden Calls For Trump To Leave Office

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  111 comments

The Man Who Oversaw The Raid To Kill Bin Laden Calls For Trump To Leave Office
If we are not the champions of the good and the right, then who will follow us? And if no one follows us -- where will the world end up?

Retired Admiral William McRaven , a Navy Seal who rose through the ranks to become the head of U.S. Special Operations, and the commander of the operation to catch or kill Osama bin Laden, has called for the president of the United States to leave office. 

In an op ed in the NYT today, McRaven says 

if this president doesn't demonstrate the leadership that America needs, both domestically and abroad, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office -- Republican, Democrat or independent -- the sooner, the better. The fate of our Republic depends upon it.

if we don't care about our values, if we don't care about duty and honor, if we don't help the weak and stand up against oppression and injustice -- what will happen to the Kurds, the Iraqis, the Afghans, the Syrians, the Rohingyas, the South Sudanese and the millions of people under the boot of tyranny or left abandoned by their failing states?

If our promises are meaningless, how will our allies ever trust us? If we can't have faith in our nation's principles, why would the men and women of this nation join the military? And if they don't join, who will protect us? If we are not the champions of the good and the right, then who will follow us? And if no one follows us -- where will the world end up?

Now Trump will call McRaven names like he has done in the past. 

Last night Gen Mattis, Trump's former Secretary of Defense , said this in a speech 

"the only military officer Donald Trump doesnt think is over rated  is Colonel Sanders. "

and the audience laughed at the president of the United States. Just like the world is laughing at us. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

We're Under Attack From the President: [Op-Ed]

Mcraven, William H . New York Times , Late Edition (East Coast); New York, N.Y.   [New York, N.Y]18 Oct 2019: A.27.
.....beneath the outward sense of hope and duty that I witnessed at these two events, there was an underlying current of frustration, humiliation, anger and fear that echoed across the sidelines. The America that they believed in was under attack, not from without, but from within.

These men and women, of all political persuasions, have seen the assaults on our institutions: on the intelligence and law enforcement community, the State Department and the press. They have seen our leaders stand beside despots and strongmen, preferring their government narrative to our own. They have seen us abandon our allies and have heard the shouts of betrayal from the battlefield. As I stood on the parade field at Fort Bragg, one retired four-star general, grabbed my arm, shook me and shouted, "I don't like the Democrats, but  Trump  is destroying the Republic!"

Those words echoed with me throughout the week. It is easy to destroy an organization if you have no appreciation for what makes that organization great. We are not the most powerful nation in the world because of our aircraft carriers, our economy, or our seat at the United Nations Security Council. We are the most powerful nation in the world because we try to be the good guys. We are the most powerful nation in the world because our ideals of universal freedom and equality have been backed up by our belief that we were champions of justice, the protectors of the less fortunate.

But, if we don't care about our values, if we don't care about duty and honor, if we don't help the weak and stand up against oppression and injustice -- what will happen to the Kurds, the Iraqis, the Afghans, the Syrians, the Rohingyas, the South Sudanese and the millions of people under the boot of tyranny or left abandoned by their failing states?

If our promises are meaningless, how will our allies ever trust us? If we can't have faith in our nation's principles, why would the men and women of this nation join the military? And if they don't join, who will protect us? If we are not the champions of the good and the right, then who will follow us? And if no one follows us -- where will the world end up?

President  Trump  seems to believe that these qualities are unimportant or show weakness. He is wrong. These are the virtues that have sustained this nation for the past 243 years. If we hope to continue to lead the world and inspire a new generation of young men and women to our cause, then we must embrace these values now more than ever.

And if this president doesn't understand their importance, if this president doesn't demonstrate the leadership that America needs, both domestically and abroad, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office -- Republican, Democrat or independent -- the sooner, the better. The fate of our Republic depends upon it.

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, is a former commander of the United States Special Operations Command and former chancellor of the University of Texas system.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I just scribbled this response to Fly on another seed.

It's something you might appreciate

the retarded comprehension dissabilities have reached new depths in Denial.

The mental midgets Lying, while defining anything ever negative as hoax fake news is just 

SO FCKN OFF THE CHARTS

even for the ma and pop tarts,

as it's below the charts,

wiping off the maps

of Sharpie unenhanced predictions from 

the PREDICTATOR wanna be   who only praises 'strong men ' leaders ' 

while being a weak minded 

fooling only the like.

And if You don't like,

it's about time to cease and insist, unless the mentally deficient can produce a coefficient argument, i'm going to have to pass on said argument.

As their inability to choose a choice worthy of a heard voice,

is larenghitus to  ear & knows throats 

doctored by DENIAL,    FALSE FAX,   PSEUDO REALITIES,   WITCH HUNTZ and praise on minds too week   

too dense

too invested in a Capitol Molested,

by a pussy grabbin back stabbin mentally misalighned segment in Americas History, that will be the embarrassmeant of our entire short of our meager 2 and a half men and their cent story

as HIS story,

should have been the fairy tale of course in Fiction, not the coarse cause of friction,

not,

the Reality forced upon US All that have been immune to the infection brought forth by minds too small that couldn't hear more than what they wanted to.

Depiction of what isn't Real, is not artificial Reality, for ANY AND ALL

still defending this unremovable STAIN

on Our WHITE HOUSE with the BLUE ADDRESS,

cause Trump BLOWS

all others a way that should have NEVER BEEN SWALLOWED !

yet they still can't spit it out, our countries future is left in the doubt

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    5 years ago

There is no reason to not remove Trump from office...

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
2.1  NV-Robin6  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

I applaud this brave hero for standing up.  Reality TV suddenly just got very real. 

I have to believe our boy/girl scouts will win this battle of the death of our democracy by putting country first. Putin and his puppets must go down in flames. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JBB  replied to  NV-Robin6 @2.1    5 years ago

It is time to end our long national nightmare...

Trumpism is a failure. It can't end too quickly.

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
2.1.2  NV-Robin6  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    5 years ago

Hear, hear!

Its coming around! 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago
There is no reason to not remove Trump from office...

There are several reasons.

We have a Constitution that determines how we select a president. Trump was elected in accordance with our laws. In little more than a year, we will have an election to see if he remains in office or if there will be a replacement. It is not necessary to remove him just a few months before the election. Doing so will exacerbate an already extreme political divide in this country.

Even if you believe every wrong thing said about Trump, we won't gain anything by removing him a few months early.

Removal will needlessly disrupt government with respect to domestic administration and international relations. Because people have been calling for impeachment since before he was even sworn in, it will confirm the fear that constant litigiousness is the path to winning power in this country and that elections are meaningless. You want to discourage voting? Keep trying to impeach the people who win elections.

Furthermore, I believe the timing of the current push to impeach is intentional and designed to disrupt the impending election. Democrats know that no one else has put together a campaign to run for the Republican nomination or the general election and this is an attempt to win by forfeit. It's dishonorable.

TL,DC: removing him offers little to no upside and guarantees several negatives.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    5 years ago
Removal will needlessly disrupt government with respect to domestic administration and international relations.

Come on man...

80% turnover in Political appointments? Almost everyone is now in an "acting status"?

Trump creates international incidents on a non encrypted cell phone for crying out loud...

Career state department people retiring or resigning by the dozens?

This week alone, Volker resigned, then Perry, one of the few Senate approved people who was left?

Let's face it, chaos is normal for Trump.  He heeds no ones advice.

It is not good for the nation.

The sooner Pence can step in, the better.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.2  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.3.1    5 years ago
The sooner Pence can step in, the better.

I'd prefer Pence (I'd prefer a lot of people actually), but he didn't get elected president. Sorry, but I'm a big believer in elections and I'm also a big believer in saving impeachment for extreme cases. I know this may disappoint some people, but I don't consider being a bumbling jackass to be extreme enough. I don't love this president, but for now, I'm content to wait the short time for the next election.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3.3  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.2    5 years ago
I'd prefer Pence (I'd prefer a lot of people actually), but he didn't get elected president.

Pence was on the ticket for a reason, anyone who voted for Trump, voted for Pence.

but for now, I'm content to wait the short time for the next election.

He just passed the 2/3rds point recently and has about 458 days left. 

For many, that is not a short amount of time.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.3.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Split Personality @2.3.3    5 years ago
Pence was on the ticket for a reason, anyone who voted for Trump, voted for Pence.

he was there to spell potatoe 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    5 years ago
We have a Constitution that determines how we select a president.

That same Constitution also determines how the remove a president that has committed Impeachable offenses. 

Even if you believe every wrong thing said about Trump, we won't gain anything by removing him a few months early. Removal will needlessly disrupt government with respect to domestic administration and international relations. 

Judging from the clusterfuck that Trump has perpetrated in the last couple of months, why should  the country be subjected to 14 more months of it?

Furthermore, I believe the timing of the current push to impeach is intentional and designed to disrupt the impending election. 

You have got to be kidding?

So your posit is that the Democrats PLANNED Trump's phone call, the DNI refusal to release the whistleblower complaint and forced Barr to blow off the criminal referrals.

Hilarious. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.6  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @2.3.5    5 years ago
So

The first word used when someone wants to twist the meaning of what someone else has said.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.7  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.6    5 years ago
The first word used when someone wants to twist the meaning of what someone else has said.

Thank you so much for your 'urban dictionary' version of the English language. 

Now, how about you tell me how my interpretation of you posit is incorrect. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.8  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @2.3.7    5 years ago
Now, how about you tell me how my interpretation of you posit is incorrect. 

You mean detail how you lied about what I said? Sure, it's your funeral. You said,

So your posit is that the Democrats PLANNED Trump's phone call

You made that up. It's a fantasy. It's a lie. You even put your fantasy in all caps. Amazing. I never said the Democrats planned Trump's call. I never said they had anything to do with it. 

And then you called it

Hilarious

Yes. It is hilarious. You invented a straw man argument that you could mock and defeat. But a straw man is a made up thing. Really, it's more hilarious that you insist on doing it. Or maybe it's just sad.

There's no point in pretending you didn't know what I was talking about because I stated it plainly. I'll quote the key part and bold the really key parts.

I believe the timing of the current push to impeach is intentional and designed to disrupt the impending election.

That is: Democrats have been talking about impeachment since before Trump was sworn in, so they didn't need a specific "high crime or misdemeanor." They just needed the right timing so that it would benefit them the most.

I don't go through this because I think you need it explained to you. I do it to publicly illustrate how obviously and easily you ignored what I actually wrote to create your hilarious straw man. And because you literally asked for it.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.3.9  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.8    5 years ago
You mean detail how you lied about what I said? Sure, it's your funeral. You said,
So your posit is that the Democrats PLANNED Trump's phone call 
You made that up. It's a fantasy. It's a lie. You even put your fantasy in all caps. Amazing. 

Then WTF did you mean by the timing being 'intentional and designed'?

BTFW, a synonym for intentional is PLANNED. 

Yes. It is hilarious. You invented a straw man argument that you could mock and defeat. But a straw man is a made up thing. Really, it's more hilarious that you insist on doing it. Or maybe it's just sad.

Well gee, you can prove that by answering my questions in this post. 

I never said the Democrats planned Trump's call. I never said they had anything to do with it.

There's no point in pretending you didn't know what I was talking about because I stated it plainly. I'll quote the key part and bold the really key parts.

I believe the timing of the current push to impeach is intentional and designed to disrupt the impending election.

Oh so you had someone other than Democrats in mind that are responsible for the 'current push to impeach'. WHO?  

That is: Democrats have been talking about impeachment since before Trump was sworn in, so they didn't need a specific "high crime or misdemeanor." They just needed the right timing so that it would benefit them the most.

Well there you go Tacos!, you DID mean Democrats.

See there, no fantasy, no strawman, no lie. I wasn't 'pretending' that I didn't know what you were talking about, YOU were pretending you weren't talking about Democrats, when you WERE. 

I don't go through this because I think you need it explained to you. I do it to publicly illustrate how obviously and easily you ignored what I actually wrote to create your hilarious straw man. And because you literally asked for it.

Oh thank you SO much for that lesson in supercilious obfuscation.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.3.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.3.4    5 years ago

I hope he didn't ask Al Gore how to spell it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.11  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @2.3.1    5 years ago

The 'president' has always had an unsecured cell phone yet but but Hillary's e-mails. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.4  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

Fuck rule of law right? Fuck precedence right? 

Just remember this for the next Democratic president.

Impeachment on purely political motives is now acceptable.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @2.4    5 years ago
Fuck the rule of law right?

Nope, the Constitution says that the power of impeachment resides in the House and they determine the procedures.

Fuck precedence right?

Why not, it means nothing to this Administration.

Just remember this for the next Democratic president.

Why?  These games started in 1774 with the First Continental Congress and won't abate in our lives either.

Impeachment on purely political motives is now acceptable.

Always has been, probably always will be.

Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Oh, is that retired Admiral William McRaven?  John Brennan's buddy?  The same McRaven who condemned Trump for revoking Brennan's security clearance?

Then that settles it! Yup, the President should resign and tell Pence to do the same so Nancy Pelosi can become das Fuhrer!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    5 years ago

Last night Gen Mattis, Trump's former Secretary of Defense , said this in a speech 

"the only military officer Donald Trump doesnt think is over rated  is Colonel Sanders. "

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    5 years ago

That's a bit out of character for Mattis to talk like that, could you give me a link?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    5 years ago

He made a speech at the Al Smith dinner last night in NY city. 

Mattis takes shots at Trump: The only colonel he thinks isn't overrated is Colonel Sanders

BY   ASSOCIATED PRESS

OCTOBER 18, 2019 10:00 AM

Former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis repeatedly took shots at President Trump during Thursday's Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner in New York City.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    5 years ago
He said: "I earned my spurs on the battlefield... and Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    5 years ago

He better look out or he'll get fired.  Oh wait   .    .    .

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    5 years ago

It was a roast event.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    5 years ago

It's reassuring to see the context of how those statements were made. Everyone should view that film. You will see Mattis making jokes from a written text which his eyes seldom stray from.  It was quite funny.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.5    5 years ago
It was a roast event.

That's right and those were jokes.......unless of course, one is a progressive!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.7    5 years ago

That's right and those were jokes.......unless of course, one is a progressive!

So, are you attempting to speak for Mattis, as those 'jokes' are Mattis's words, and obviously, Chosen by him to recite.

Do you recall how mattis did resign, as it may have had something to do with the Kurds.

He fely so strongly about Trump FCKN over our allies,

HE QUIT

Those are Mattis's Words and thoughts, but being an honerable man that has always obeyed orders in the chain of command,

this venue gave him the opportunity

to express his 

TRUE FEELINGS.

Live with the disgrace to the office you defend !

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.8    5 years ago
So, are you attempting to speak for Mattis

Mattis does well speaking for himself.

HE QUIT

He had a disagreement with two presidents. He resigned from the Trump administration and was fired without so much as a phone call by the radical Obama.

Progressives need to learn the difference between humorous statements and serious ones. Mattis dosen't go around defaming people. That's what progressives do.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.9    5 years ago

you have your take, i'll have mine

when the book comes out, you'll find i was right

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    5 years ago

I saw that, have to admit that was DAMN funny. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.12  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    5 years ago

That was a classic......

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.11    5 years ago

So fucking true.  KFC is one of the 4 food groups to this 'president'

lib50
Professor Silent
4.2  lib50  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    5 years ago

Well its nice to see the conservatives here finally be honest about their values.  Anything BUT American interests.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  lib50 @4.2    5 years ago
Anything BUT American interests.

Like being able to accept the results of an election?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Op-Ed - 'nuff said.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.1  lib50  replied to  1stwarrior @5    5 years ago

Go talk to some special forces, past and present.  And think about how you'd feel if your loved one was serving in the military and their future is being part of working with allies in conflicts.  Now NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY will trust the word of the US in the foreseeable future.  Decades.  Maybe more.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  lib50 @5.1    5 years ago

Bullshit. First sign of trouble they will be screaming for our help. Our "allies" can't do shit for themselves.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    5 years ago
Bullshit. First sign of trouble they will be screaming for our help. Our "allies" can't do shit for themselves.

You know that asking us for military help and TRUSTING our word are two different things right? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @5.1.2    5 years ago

You obviously didn't read lib50's post.

If they didn't trust us they wouldn't scream for our help. They couldn't depend on the military coming, in what capacity, or how long.

Funny how the Kurds won't trust us now after the US has betrayed them several times already. Bush Sr betrayed them by not backing them militarily after calling for Saddam's ouster; Bush Jr and Obama betrayed them by withdrawing troops from Iraq leaving them caught between angry former Sunni military and an Iraqi government loyal to Iran; and now Trump "betrays" them by withdrawing troops from Syria- and somehow this time is different and much, much worse? TDDS at it's finest.

Funny how the left aren't blasting the British or French. They were supposed to send in more troops so the US could depart Syria; but they beat us the hell out the door. What about their betrayal of both the US and the Kurds?

Our "allies" are only good at sucking down US money, assets, and wasting US soldiers lives. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    5 years ago

"And if no one follows us -- where will the world end up?"

ARE ….. We being "Followed" ? jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago

youhave to follow along to know who is not following you, ME

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1    5 years ago
youhave to follow along to know who is not following you, ME

Well …..it's definitely not you ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.1    5 years ago
Well

i said it was you ME, not 'ME' you don't    stand

under

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1.2    5 years ago
i said it was you ME, not 'ME' you don't    stand                                                                  under

No !

You actually  posted (7.1  igknorantzrulz) :

"youhave to follow along to know who is not following you, ME"

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.3    5 years ago
"youhave to follow along to know who is not following you, ME"

is it ME, or It Is ME, who's eyes are spinning as they are obviously dizzy attempting to follow what i prefer to not lead into unless well read illiterate literature is melted into a lead pot melting lead down to that which will burden and way you down to you drink N drown in my thoughts you stated weren't leading youto the dizzying depths you willingly continue to sink, when attemptting to out

think i'm gonna go    out and drink as It Is Me, and what i choose, so don't think It Is ME You, that will ever decide what it is i due

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1.4    5 years ago

Read the Book ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.5    5 years ago

Read the Book !

the other one i wrote...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1.6    5 years ago
the other one i wrote...

Amidst mechanical gibberish from malfunctioning..... There really is a cake ?

Krishna
Professor Expert

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @8    5 years ago

Another rat leaves the sinking ship.  Welcome to dry land JK.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.2  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @8    5 years ago

Kasich works for CNN. If he wants to keep his job he will toe his boss's line.

Former Ohio Gov. John Kasich said President Donald Trump should be impeached, a major switch for a former Republican presidential candidate who had previously said there was not enough evidence to impeach the President.

Kasich, who's a CNN senior political commentator, told CNN's Ana Cabrera Friday the "final straw" for him was White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney's Thursday admission that military aid was withheld from Ukraine in order to pressure that country for investigations into Democrats.
"But if you are asking me if I was sitting in the House of Representatives today and you were to ask me how do I feel, do I think impeachment should move forward and should go for a full examination and a trial in the United States Senate, my vote would be yes." Kasich said on CNN's "Newsroom."
Kaisch's support for impeachment breaks with his party's overall stance. While he did not directly call for Trump's removal from office, stating he would need to see the articles of impeachment before making that decision, his statements make Kasich one of the few high profile Republicans who have agreed with Democrats that Trump should impeached.
Kasich had previously said in interviews that he did not think Trump shoud be impeached because he didn't see a clear quid pro quo.
"In reading that transcript, I did not see a clear quid pro quo," Kasich said in an October 8 interview on "CNN Tonight."
"If you have an impeachment that doesn't bring the Republicans along, and this is done strictly along party line votes, this is going to end up not helping this country," he added,
Sell out is too nice of a term.