╌>

Egypt uncovers 3,000-year-old mummies in the Valley of the Kings

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  45 comments

Egypt uncovers 3,000-year-old mummies in the Valley of the Kings
The perfectly preserved coffins hidden under a mound of sand were discovered by an Egyptian team of archaeologists by accident.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Just when you think that we have found out all the secrets of the past a find like this. What else is out there waiting to be found?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
you think that we have found out all the secrets of the past a find like this.

Never think that, from the Egyptian deserts to the Guatemalan jungles to the Siberian wastelands to everywhere there is still so much history out there to discover

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2  al Jizzerror    5 years ago

The seeded article includes an amazing video of the archeologists opening a sarcophagus.

After the video (which also appears above) played and then I read the short article and a second video started playing.

I was about to pause the second video butt it was also an amazing video.  It showed a coach disarming a high school student who brought a shotgun to school.  Then the coach hugged the kid and the situation changed from danger to friendship. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  al Jizzerror @2    5 years ago

Both videos were amazing in their own way. I'm glad you stuck around and watched the second video. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Although I couldn't open the "seeded content" or "here" links, nor as expected could I open the nbcnews video, I did find another article about the topic.  Does it give about the same information?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

Buzz,

I am not sure why you can't open the videos. They are not YouTubes. It's network news. The article does talk about what the story is about.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    5 years ago

I would assume that China has blocked nbcnews.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

Buzz your link is similar and posted the article is not very in depth, yet has good information.

It is good, yet also cursory. The timeline of the find is probably too early to have much detail.

Can you get to this link? It is of similar detail.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.2    5 years ago

Thanks Dave.  No problem with that link, and I watched the video in it as well.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.1    5 years ago

You are welcome Buzz and glad you could access the link.

Here is a fascinating read of ddfdaily life during ancient day 3,000 years ago at the Valley of Kings.

Let me know if you can access it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.1    5 years ago

Here is one I hope you can find locally. Dr. Fletcher is almost as good in her presentation as Bettany Hughes.

This is one of my most favourite vids of ancient Egypt. It focuses on one specific family 3.000 years ago.

This is a part 1 of 2.

Ancient Egypt Life and Death in the Valley of the Kings 1 of 2

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.2.3    5 years ago

I'm unable to open a YouTube, but thanks for the attempt.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2.5  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.4    5 years ago

Can you find vids of similar title elsewhere from Dr. Fletcher? I just finished watching it again for the umpteenth time. Fabtistic vid.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.2.2    5 years ago

The Scientific American story of the Egyptians' daily life, as gleaned from their writings is quite fascinating, and it made me wonder how people will think of us, as we are leaving exceptionally complete history, 3000 years from now (if the belligerence I see even in some members of NT will not so decimate life on Earth that there is nobody left to look back). 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2.8  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.6    5 years ago

I contemplate similar possibilities Buzz.

It seems more and more lunatics have their fingers on the launch buttons.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.2.8    5 years ago

On a different seed here, there is one whose hatred is so intense, that if he were in a position to push the button would deliberately cause the Earth to suffer a similar fate as Krypton.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.2.10    5 years ago

Not surprised. Neither was Lex Luthor.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.2.12    5 years ago

Bingo.  The very fact that you asked indicates that you might never have watched the Superman movies.  Pity, the Christopher Reeves one was pretty entertaining.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I saw this story elsewhere.  I can't open the article here because I have AB.  This is a great find.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    5 years ago

Paula,

Ad blocker won't let you open a video?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    5 years ago

AB does not stop me. BTW, with the "new" computer I have AB turned off for your site.

...like the pretty girls...lol.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

Apparently they also found a watch next to one of the mummies, inscribed on the back, "If found, please return to Larry King". 

In all seriousness, pretty interesting find. Not sure what else is buried out there in the desert, but one thing we can count on is that Egypt will squeeze every penny they can out of this find. Never been a fan of digging up people's graves, no matter how long they have been there. Doesn't matter if they were good or bad people in life, they have paid what they owed, let them rest in peace. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

A very interesting POV. I think we stop thinking of them as people and thinking of them as artifacts. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.2  pat wilson  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

I agree. I'm as curious as the next person but I don't know if it's appropriate to be prying open coffins.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.3  dave-2693993  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago

What I have found the most interesting is what is around the official grave sites.

Wonderful insight into the daily lives of the people and families living there. I am often amazed at how similar they were to us in some many ways.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     5 years ago

Kavika covering himself in sand. I'll live longer that way and won't rot.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

Don't do that prematurly! We like you alive much better. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    5 years ago

Red called me an ''old fart.'' I keep having to remind her that I'm more like an old fine wine. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    5 years ago
I keep having to remind her that I'm more like an old fine wine. 

I've aged like milk. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    5 years ago

Red called me an ''old fart.'' I keep having to remind her that I'm more like an old fine wine. 

Indeed you are.. she might be too, since she is a red. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @6    5 years ago

Kavika covering himself in sand. I'll live longer that way and won't rot.

May want to entertain a fence too because.....cats. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
7  GaJenn78    5 years ago

This is one of the coolest things I've seen! I remember a thing on TLC, back when TLC use to be "the learning channel", some guy claimed to have found King Tuts burial site or grave. It was a long drawn out 2 hour watch for nothing basically. I love seeing this stuff! Upsetting a burial site might not be wise though, but who knows, maybe the peeps of ancient Egypt are giving their blessing so we as a "future" people can learn. :-) Great article, Perrie!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  GaJenn78 @7    5 years ago

You will find similar stories on the Discovery group.  There is another one there about a similar discovery in Egypt.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    5 years ago

Thanks Jenn. I like to bring other stuff to the front page other than politics and I love the origin of man.

I remember when TLC was that great station, too. I used to love to watch "The Furniture Guys".

I do realize that these were people but I also think that we are applying modern standards to a people that used to bury the living with their kings. Think about that for a bit. 

So while I do agree that we should treat these people with respect, I also think whether you believe in the soul or not, this is just what is left of them and there is so much we can learn from them and hopefully not pick up an ancient deadly disease. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    5 years ago

I think that all members who are into this, should join your group and you might want to make the group open to attract new members. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.1.3  al Jizzerror  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.1    5 years ago
I used to love to watch "The Furniture Guys".

I remember those guys.  They were great except when they would make a beautiful piece and then "antique" it.  They would beat the finished piece up (with chains) and add beverage circles, "worm holes" and even some burns.

I could never intentionally damage a nice coffee table or dresser.  Butt I used to joke about loaning them to my children for a couple of years and  just let nature take it's course.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  al Jizzerror @7.1.3    5 years ago
They would beat the finished piece up (with chains) and add beverage circles, "worm holes" and even some burns.

LMAO. I can feel ya pain! 

I could never intentionally damage a nice coffee table or dresser.

Neither can I. It's funny. The whole reason I got into those guys was that they knew the right finish for every period. So you could watch them one time and they would talk about how to make your own shellac and the next time they were killing grandma's breakfront. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.2    5 years ago

Every member can apply for membership.  Only the "haters" are not welcome on my groups.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  GaJenn78 @7    5 years ago
back when TLC use to be "the learning channel"

Those were the days.  I loved TLC, Bravo, A&E, The History Channel.  Then reality TV became a thing, and they all went to hell.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2    5 years ago

Yup!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2    5 years ago
and they all went to hell.

Lol, are you kidding? TLC still has great, informative and highly accurate programming like Ancient Aliens, The Hunt for Hitler, and Oak Island Treasure amongst many others

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @7.2.2    5 years ago

They lost me with the Duggars and Honey Boo Boo.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.2.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.2.3    5 years ago
the Duggars

If I wanted to be entertained by religious pedophiles, I would join the Catholic Church.