╌>

PEOPLE WITH HIV SHOULD BE QUARANTINED, SAYS GEORGIA LAWMAKER AND WIFE OF TOM PRICE

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  43 comments

PEOPLE WITH HIV SHOULD BE QUARANTINED, SAYS GEORGIA LAWMAKER AND WIFE OF TOM PRICE

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BY   CHRISTIANNA SILVA   ON 10/20/17 AT 2:50 PM EDT

gettyimages-631979180.jpg

Tom Price and his wife, Betty (center), during his confirmation hearing. PHOTO BY ALEX WONG/GETTY IMAGES

People with HIV should be quarantined, and the U.S. would be safer if they "died more readily," according to Betty Price, a Republican state representative and wife of former Health Secretary Tom Price.

The Georgia-state lawmaker and former anesthesiologist, who now represents people who live in the northern Atlanta area, was asked in a hearing what the U.S. is " legally able to do " to limit the spread of HIV throughout the state.

"It's almost frightening, the number of people who are living that are carriers with the potential to spread," Price said during a   Georgia House of Representatives committee meeting   on access to health care in the state ( around the one-hour mark of the video ). "Whereas in the past, they died more readily, and at that point they're not posing a risk. So we've got a huge population posing a risk if they're not in treatment."

Price also said that while she didn't necessarily want to quarantine people with HIV, that is exactly what she wants to do.

"I don't want to say the quarantine word—but I guess I just said it," Price said to Dr. Pascale Wortley, director of the Georgia Department of Public Health's HIV epidemiology section, according to STAT News.

"Is there an ability, since I would guess that public dollars are expended heavily in prophylaxis and treatment of this condition, so we have a public interest in curtailing the spread. … Are there any methods legally that we could do that would curtail the spread?"

In 2014, about 50,000 people were diagnosed with HIV in the state—the second-highest rate of new diagnoses among all states the following year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Price's "incredibly disturbing" comments were condemned for perpetuating "the stigma that still exists around HIV," Jeff Graham, executive director of Georgia Equality.

"It's very troubling to hear comments like that," he told STAT News. "It shows the amount of work that still needs to happen to educate elected officials on the reality of the lives of people living with HIV. I'm hoping Representative Price would be open to sitting down, meeting with folks, hearing how those comments sound and recognizing that's not the direction we need to go in."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Price also said that while she didn't necessarily want to quarantine people with HIV, that is exactly what she wants to do.

"I don't want to say the quarantine word—but I guess I just said it," Price said to Dr. Pascale Wortley, director of the Georgia Department of Public Health's HIV epidemiology section, according to STAT News.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

Hello? It's 2019, not 1983 anymore!

People were talking about quarantining HIV patients 40 years ago! Have we really regressed that much? Maybe if schools would teach comprehensive sex education instead of abstinence the rates of HIV wouldn't be increasing.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    5 years ago

EXCEPT, the rate of new HIV infections in America is not rising anymore, at least among gay men, and has not been for quite a few years. There are new drugs available now that prevent infection (PREP) and HIV is treatable to the extent that many who have HIV are "undetectable" which makes transmission of the virus very very unlikely if not virtually impossible...

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.1    5 years ago

I was merely making the point that HIV infections are not on the rise anymore, that there are now treatments available that inhibit the transmission and that the disease is medically considered merely chronic and no longer terminal. We are all sometimes guilty of being somewhat misinformed. The idea that HIV positive Americans should be quarantined today is ignorant, barbaric and completely unfounded in reality. No wonder it was another goddamn fundie Trump supporter spouting such ignorant unchristian hog swaddle, again...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    5 years ago

Also this moron bitchs' husband, wasn't he the one who had the 'cone of silence' built in his office and really fucked over us taxpayers for the short time he was in the tRump swamp administration?  By bilking us.  Like everyone else in this 'president's' administration?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    5 years ago

Yep, that is the crook you were thinking of...

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    5 years ago

POS redneck southerners should be quarantined just for their stupidity alone.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  lady in black @3    5 years ago

[Deleted]

user image
Freshman Silent
3.2    replied to  lady in black @3    5 years ago

Southerners tried to quarantine themselves but the North couldn't live without them and sent hundreds of thousands of their sons to die to keep the southerners in the union. Can't live with them, can't live without them huh?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  @3.2    5 years ago
Southerners tried to quarantine themselves but the North couldn't live without them

Southerners tried to "quarantine" and preserve their assumed right to own other humans as cattle and then they attacked American troops at Fort Sumter. Can't live with them, can't kill them all just for being lazy worthless bigots so we just had to kick their asses and free their slaves and they've been bitter about having to do their own work ever since.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  lady in black  replied to  @3.2    5 years ago

Southerners ceded from the US and today they think they are the most patriotic, yeah nope.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago

Why does she have that, "please don't beat me again!" look?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

In this same photo, in a different view, it looks like Price is looking at the blond and not his wife.  

user image
Freshman Silent
6      5 years ago

Can't say that I disagree. Not all of us are sexually irresponsible. I don't want to catch what they got because they bled into some food they served me or got injured around me and got blood in an open scratch or whatever else could happen.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  @6    5 years ago

What nonsense.  Typical.  

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2  JBB  replied to  @6    5 years ago

Really scared are you? Well, as long as you do not already have AIDS, refrain from sharing dirty needles when you shoot up and stop having unprotected sex with strangers you should be just fine...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JBB @6.2    5 years ago

It's not as easy to avoid the spit. An HIV positive man got thirty five years in prison for spitting on a cop and the jury found his spit to be a deadly weapon. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.2.1    5 years ago

[Deleted

Generally people who aren't total dicks and haters should have no fear of their food being spit on, etc.  

If a person has proven HIV and tries to intentionally infect someone, that is a crime.  

I don't know why you and jungkon say such hateful homophobic things.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.2    5 years ago

There is nothing hateful or homophobic in what I posted. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.2.1    5 years ago

From what I understand, HIV is not viable in saliva

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.5  JBB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.2.1    5 years ago

Well then, that was a really stupid decision. I must assume that the jury based their decision on malicious intent and not on the actual threat posed. How long ago was that? Like 20-40 years ago? The chances that HIV could be transmitted by someone merely spitting on someone else is statistically impossible. First off, in general spit does not normally carry the virus. And second, if say the infected person had blood in their spit, it would have to fall directly into a gaping open wound to have any chance of transmission. How likely is that?

That cop did not contact HIV. So then, what is your point? That the unjustified irrational fears of stupid bassackwards ignorant people should "Trump" the rights of everyone else?

user image
Freshman Silent
6.2.6    replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.2.3    5 years ago

I know right? Her and MrFrost brought the homosexual angle into the conversation, I don't seem to remember either of us singling anybody out for sexual preference.... Freudian slip must be

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  @6.2.6    5 years ago

You're the one agreeing with this hateful bitch regarding quarantining folks with HIV.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.2.8  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JBB @6.2.5    5 years ago

It was 2008 in that case but I believe we have had more recent cases here in Colorado. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.9  JBB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.2.8    5 years ago

Get back to us when you have any documented evidence of any cop ever contacted the HIV virus from merely being spat upon. It has never ever happened! I am not in favor of spitting on people butt if the perp was punished more harshly for such it was for their malicious intent and not upon any actual damages done. Surely you do understand the difference...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.3  MrFrost  replied to  @6    5 years ago
Not all of us are sexually irresponsible.

You are aware that heterosexual people get AIDS too, right? 

JBB
Professor Principal
7  JBB    5 years ago

Everyone with two brain cells figured out over thirty years ago that HIV positive people pose absolutely no great threat to our public health. AIDS is not easily spread. It is not spread by air or by touch. One must actually get the blood or semen of an infected person into their bloodstream to effect contagion. Ignorance of the sort expressed by that awful dumbass woman poses a much greater threat to America...

user image
Freshman Silent
7.1    replied to  JBB @7    5 years ago

If someone coughs blood into your eyes or mouth you better believe it's airborne.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  @7.1    5 years ago

When does that happen?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  @7.1    5 years ago

If someone coughs blood into your eyes or mouth you better believe it's airborne.

WTF?! Really? LOL 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  @7.1    5 years ago

Hard to believe that there are still people worried about getting Crabs from public toilet seats.....or that a blood transfusion from someone that isn't white is going to make them crave watermellon and fried chicken.

Small minds, all of them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  @7.1    5 years ago

I think you have way more problems than getting HIV if someone coughs blood into your eyes. You're more likely to get TB

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.5  JBB  replied to  @7.1    5 years ago

No, that is not airborne contagion and unless the infected bloody spit actually fell directly into an open eye would it still would not effect transmission of the virus. You may what if yourself into oblivion for all I care. We do not base our public policy on irrational fears or superstitious nonsense...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.4    5 years ago

Maybe the clapp too?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.6    5 years ago

Ummm.....

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    5 years ago

Quarantine.  Interesting word.  Was that not suggested before in a different time and place---then modified to become The Final Solution?

Conservatives and conservatism in general always has one common thread.  It fears everything.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  bbl-1 @8    5 years ago

Wondering if she owns a company that makes industrial ovens...…?   (Right up to the line with that one!)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1    5 years ago

I think she owns a barbed wire fence company

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.1    5 years ago

Comes with it's own high amperage power supply?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1.2    5 years ago

Damn! I didn't even think of that!

You're quick on the draw there, Fly

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.4  JBB  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1    5 years ago

BIG OVENS R-Us is a probably going to turn out to be a bad investment. But, stock in Guillotines Incorporated is expected to bust out any day now. So, better get onboard now while the getting is still good. There may just be a counterevolution...Oh Yeah! All those bloody too rich to live among us oligarchs, corporate raider real estate mogul types and of course these bassackwards wouldbe dictatorial theocrats had all better watch their own damned necks...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1    5 years ago

Don't know about industrial ovens, but most of the facilities 'holding immigrants at the border' are owned by private for profits being paid by the US taxpayers.  Former WH Chief of Staff John Kelly is on the board of one of those 'businesses. Do not know the salary he is drawing. 

I would naturally assume that there are those in 'that line of business' who are in the 'fold of Trump' see an opportunity for expansion in the Quarantine business.