Kmart removes 'beyond inappropriate' children's costume after backlash from parents

Via:  john-russell  •  4 weeks ago  •  26 comments

Kmart removes 'beyond inappropriate' children's costume after backlash from parents
The outfit, simply labeled as "Bride Costume," depicts a young girl wearing a wedding gown and veil. Shannon noted that the costume, which was selling for $6, was marked as being made for children as young as 4 years old. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Kmart Australia has removed a children's Halloween costume from its shelves following a petition from a concerned parent, who called the outfit "beyond inappropriate."

Australia's 7 News  reported that Shannon B , who asked the outlet to keep her last name anonymous, noticed the costume when Halloween shopping with her daughter. 

The outfit, simply labeled as "Bride Costume," depicts a young girl wearing a wedding gown and veil. Shannon noted that the costume, which was selling for $6, was marked as being made for children as young as 4 years old. 

"This is beyond inappropriate and offensive and Kmart has a social responsibility to pull this item off their shelves immediately," the mom  told 7 News on Tuesday .

Shannon's outrage led to her  starting a Change.org petition , which demanded that the retailer pull the costume from its stores. The petition has earned close to 250 signatures in the three days since its launch. 

"Each year, 12 million children (girls as young as 6 years old — the same size as this 'costume') are sold or married off by their family without their consent," the petition's description states. "Child marriage means child abuse and torture in its worst forms — pedophilia, child rape, child slavery, child sex trafficking."

The petition's signature count might not be massive, but it was enough to grab Kmart's attention. The store  announced Tuesday afternoon  that it would be pulling the costumes from all of its Australian stores, in addition to offering an apology.

"Kmart Australia regrets the decision to range the bride costume," a Kmart spokesperson said Tuesday. "It was not intended to cause offense and we sincerely apologize. We have made the decision to withdraw this product."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

Justified, or much ado about nothing?  

jungkonservativ111
1.1  jungkonservativ111  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 weeks ago

Just another triggered snowflake like we have here in the US. I would bet money this same mother would dress her 4 year old daughter up as a slutty witch and parade her around the neighborhood. Virtue signaling gets old quick.

cjcold
1.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 weeks ago

I thought that Halloween costumes were supposed to be scary.

Vic Eldred
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 weeks ago

Much ado about nothing.

Kathleen
2  Kathleen    4 weeks ago

Much to do with nothing.

When I was little I always wanted to dress up in a big brides dress as many other little girls wanted to do.

I guess no one should dress up as a witch, they may practice witchcraft.  You could pick apart any costume and say it stands for something it really doesn’t.

jungkonservativ111
2.1  jungkonservativ111  replied to  Kathleen @2    4 weeks ago

Witches used to be burned at the stake in the old days. Probably falls under the misogony victim class.

Kathleen
2.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  jungkonservativ111 @2.1    4 weeks ago

It looks like a Christening outfit, I guess the nutty woman is against that attire too...

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    4 weeks ago

The Russians did this!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3    4 weeks ago

Kathleen
3.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    4 weeks ago

Eerie, I just watched that movie last night. Great movie.

Dean Moriarty
3.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    4 weeks ago

Everyone is finally seeing what I've been seeing for years now. Once you know what to look for it's easy to pick them out. 

Jack_TX
4  Jack_TX    4 weeks ago

How sheltered has somebody's life been that this is what they choose to get outraged about?

MrFrost
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  Jack_TX @4    4 weeks ago

I totally agree. 

JohnRussell
5  seeder  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

I'm not sure this is justifiably a political issue. 

We could just as well see some "conservative" condemning the costume because it sexualizes the child (a 4 yr old with a wedding night?) . 

My own perception is that I think bride Halloween costumes for little girls have been around for a long time. Why is the complaint just coming now? 

Jack_TX
5.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @5    4 weeks ago
I'm not sure this is justifiably a political issue. 

I agree partially.  It's a religious issue, but for some people, liberal politics is their religion.

We could just as well see some "conservative" condemning the costume because it sexualizes the child (a 4 yr old with a wedding night?) . 

Absolutely.  Religious people need things to condemn.

My own perception is that I think bride Halloween costumes for little girls have been around for a long time. Why is the complaint just coming now? 

Excellent question/point.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 weeks ago

This is much to do about nothing. 

It's a costume. My daughter wore one for Halloween and I didn't try to marry her off (now she is a bridezilla).

Whatever happened to using your brain? Context people, context!

I swear people look for reasons to be offended. 

Jasper2529
6.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    4 weeks ago
I swear people look for reasons to be offended. 

Your comment reminded me of this:

Good-morning-What-shall-we-be-offended-b

Just Jim NC TttH
6.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    4 weeks ago

Reminds me of this.............

It Is ME
7  It Is ME    4 weeks ago

Seriously ? jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Just don't buy the thing lady !

JaneDoe
8  JaneDoe    4 weeks ago

Too much ado about nothing!

I wish we could see which costume Shannon B chose for her daughter. I may be offended by it. 🤔

Paula Bartholomew
9  Paula Bartholomew    4 weeks ago

This is fing rediculous.  It is halloween, get over yourselves.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
10  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    4 weeks ago

I'm outraged, this is trans-phobic. Hordes of Moonbats are forcing their young boys to transition. Where will they get their costume now?

Tacos!
11  Tacos!    4 weeks ago
"Each year, 12 million children (girls as young as 6 years old — the same size as this 'costume') are sold or married off by their family without their consent,"

Thanks to the internet age, we never run out of morons who can influence people. Does it really need to be explained how stupid this protest is?

It's a costume. It's a fantasy. And the fantasy is most definitely not being forcibly married or trafficked or some similar insanity. 

But heck, even if that were the fantasy, kids also dress up as brain-eating zombies and blood-sucking vampires. No sane person thinks these activities are anything other than fun, dress-up fantasies. No one is trying to actually celebrate or promote injustice or atrocity.

How disappointing that the store actually caved to this nonsense!

lady in black
12  lady in black    4 weeks ago

Much to do about nothing

Freefaller
13  Freefaller    4 weeks ago

Much ado about nothing.  Wow there actually seems to be a consensus happening here, this is a first.

Sunshine
14  Sunshine    4 weeks ago

Companies need to stop listening to these nutters and then maybe they will go away.