╌>

Trump says after Rep. Steve Scalise got shot his wife 'cried her eyes out', joking 'not many wives would react that way ... I know mine wouldn't'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  53 comments

By:   Business Insider Grace Panetta,Business Insider 1 hour 7 minutes ago

Trump says after Rep. Steve Scalise got shot his wife 'cried her eyes out', joking 'not many wives would react that way ... I know mine wouldn't'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

8671bb20-a4bf-11e9-bf77-b045690ae315   Grace Panetta, Business Insider   1 hour 7 minutes ago  

ab98bc63a8efb7b6a5144f8f815b565c

Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

• President  Donald Trump  joked at a Tuesday Republican fundraiser that First Lady Melania Trump wouldn't "cry her eyes out" if he was shot.

• Trump commended House Minority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana for his toughness a little over two years after being shot and critically wounded at a Congressional baseball practice in June of 2017.

• The president recalled how Scalise's wife Jennifer "cried her eyes out when I met her at the hospital that fateful day … I mean not many wives would react that way to tragedy, I know mine wouldn't."

• Shortly after the shooting,  The New York Times reported  that Trump and the First Lady visited Scalise at the hospital and brought a bouquet of flowers to Scalise and his wife.

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

President  Donald Trump  let loose at a Tuesday Republican fundraiser with an impromptu roast of GOP lawmakers, which included making a quip that his wife, First Lady Melania Trump, wouldn't "cry her eyes out" if he was shot.

Politico's Melanie Zanona reported that the event , which took place at Trump Hotel in Washington, DC, Trump commended House Minority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana for his bravery and toughness a little over two years after being shot.

Scalise, Capitol Police officers, a congressional aide, and a lobbyist,  were wounded by a gunman who opened fire on them at a Republican Congressional baseball team practice in Alexandria, Virginia in June of 2017.Because Scalise is a member of House leadership and has a Capitol Police detail with him at all times, two officers were able to quickly apprehend the shooter, who died exchanging gunfire with the police.

But Scalise was badly wounded,  suffering multiple broken bones and internal damage . While he has since recovered and went back to work on Capitol Hill a few months later, he still walks with a cane.

Politico said that after joking that he wouldn't suggest getting gravely shot as a strategy for losing weight, Trump recalled how Scalise's wife Jennifer "cried her eyes out when I met her at the hospital that fateful day … I mean not many wives would react that way to tragedy, I know mine wouldn't."

Shortly after the shooting,  The New York Times reported  that Trump and the First Lady visited Scalise at the hospital and brought a bouquet of flowers to Scalise and his wife.

Politico reported that at the fundraiser, Trump also poked some friendly fun at other Republican lawmakers and pollsters in attendance.

Trump said, "that lil guy packs more punch than I thought," of Rep. Chuck Fleischmann of Tennessee's fundraising performance and joked that Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah — one of Trump's most prominent critics in the Senate's Republican caucus — is "the worst name in politics."

"I know a guy who looks like you," Trump also quipped at Rep. Greg Pence of Indiana, the brother of Vice President Mike Pence. "How did you get that good of a seat in here ya cheap-o?"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I don't think many would shed a tear even when he passes away.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
I don't think many would shed a tear even when he passes away.

Does the "left" call your comment...."Compassionate" ? jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @1.1    5 years ago

no, reality.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    5 years ago
no, reality.

So you'd be a "Happy Camper" too ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    5 years ago

This is what we'll be doing the day he passes.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    5 years ago

and this

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    5 years ago

in the interest of public health, his headstone probably should be a floor mounted urinal

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    5 years ago

It's so refreshing to hear the "Left" actually admit:

It's great to see someone they HATE..... Dead ! jrSmiley_102_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.7  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.6    5 years ago

death is inevitable, no matter how much money or power anyone possesses

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @1.1.7    5 years ago
death is inevitable, no matter how much money or power anyone possesses

DEATH....is YOUR friend ?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.9  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.8    5 years ago

that depends, obviously my perspective of what constitutes anti-american terrorism seems to be a bit wider than others

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @1.1.9    5 years ago
that depends,

Really ?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.11  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.10    5 years ago

no, reality. buh bye greg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @1.1.11    5 years ago
no, reality.

Whose ?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

the closest he'll ever get to a military parade

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.2    5 years ago

I'll settle for a very long term sentence in a military prison like Leavenworth.

Used to do medical exams in Leavenworth and it's not a nice place.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  bbl-1  replied to  cjcold @1.2.1    5 years ago

I would gladly settle for that.  But, who would do his hair?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

She would take Barron and head home with "Thank god my nightmare is over."  It would  be his supporters who would weep, wail, and rend their clothing.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    5 years ago

big party at my house that night

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @2.1    5 years ago

I will handle the BBQ grill.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

ya cheap-o

Trump has his first dollar in a frame, but it isn't even his dollar, it is his daddy's.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Melania is embarrassed by every single thing her husband says until she consults her bank account. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

She has plenty of money of her own.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    5 years ago
 Politico reported that at the fundraiser, Trump also poked some friendly fun at other Republican lawmakers and pollsters in attendance.

Trump said, "that lil guy packs more punch than I thought," of Rep. Chuck Fleischmann of Tennessee's fundraising performance and joked that Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah — one of Trump's most prominent critics in the Senate's Republican caucus — is "the worst name in politics."

"I know a guy who looks like you," Trump also quipped at Rep. Greg Pence of Indiana, the brother of Vice President Mike Pence. "How did you get that good of a seat in here ya cheap-o?"

Poking fun? Calling Romney the worst name in politics and another guy a cheap-o? Is this what passes for GOP humor these days?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    5 years ago

The gop, this 'president' have no fucking sense of humor.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    5 years ago

Your point has been made @5.2

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.2    replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.1    5 years ago

Democrat fundraising event after someone says the name Trump :

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
5.1.3  NV-Robin6  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.1    5 years ago

You've got that right!

I'll never grave dance, but sometimes I applaud how the universe can hand out karma. 

I find it such a sad state of our democracy that we are even here in modernity. This is all of Trump's own making though via Putins stamp of approval. His narcissism, idiocy and authoritarian criminal mob mindset was always leading to impeachment. He thinks he's above the law. He's finding out, he's not.  Dems had no choice but to "vindicate the Constitution." --Nancy Pelosi

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to    5 years ago

Jimmy Kimmel exposed more of his lies last nite in regards to a guest appearance he did once.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  NV-Robin6 @5.1.3    5 years ago

After the Mueller report proved somewhat inconclusive, Trump had a chance to reset. Instead, the day after Mueller testified to Congress Trump asked Ukraine to help him smear his opponent Biden.  Some people cant stand success.

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
5.1.7  NV-Robin6  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.6    5 years ago

He's not only our worst enemy, but his own worst. He's getting exactly what he's asked for. 

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
5.1.8  NV-Robin6  replied to    5 years ago

I'll tell you, my yearly charity funds just got redirected. I'll be spending all my resources helping every Democrat in taking down the GOP traitors amongst us instead across the nation. It was a decision I didn't take lightly, as I support programs directed for helping children. But there's nothing more worthy this year than protecting their futures and our democracy. Blue wave!

user image
Freshman Silent
5.2    replied to  Trout Giggles @5    5 years ago

I guess republicans have thicker skin. If a democrat ever tried to make that joke at their fundraiser, they would get this reaction :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYNVH0U3cs

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  @5.2    5 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    5 years ago

People are actually upset that Trump made a couple of jokes?

is that all it takes now to get to some liberal-skyscreamers?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Texan1211 @6    5 years ago

Trump only claims a joke when he gets called out over it.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    5 years ago

I realize that Trump says many things, some non-sensical and others non-sensical too.

But, did he really say that?   More importantly, why did he say that?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @7    5 years ago

Because he has the sensitivity of a bag of marbles.