Drug shortages worsen at hospitals nationwide as doctors struggle to find solutions

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 weeks ago  •  36 comments

Drug shortages worsen at hospitals nationwide as doctors struggle to find solutions
According to a new FDA report, there are 116 drug shortages nationwide as of this week, including a critical cancer medication for children and a blood thinner that’s crucial for cardiac surgery. Lawmakers on Capitol Hill held a hearing this week looking into one cause: dependence on foreign production.

When drug companies are not mandated to produce drugs within our borders, the countries they do business with can use these products as ransom. This is just a sampling of things to come.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

sandy-2021492
1  sandy-2021492    2 weeks ago

One of our local news stations mentioned this a week or so ago.  A local child's life is at risk due to a shortage of the drug used to treat her leukemia.

We need to bring pharmaceutical manufacturing back to our shores.

MUVA
1.1  MUVA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    2 weeks ago

Then sue them and beat them down at congressional hearings.

sandy-2021492
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  MUVA @1.1    2 weeks ago

Sue whom?

MUVA
1.1.2  MUVA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

The pharmaceutical companies late night TV is full of ads for law firms suing big pharma.   

sandy-2021492
1.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  MUVA @1.1.2    2 weeks ago

Those are about suing pharma for the ill effects of their drugs, not for not producing those drugs.

Since there is no law stating that pharma must manufacture drugs in certain amounts, I don't see how a lawsuit would stick.

The Magic Eight Ball
1.1.4  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  MUVA @1.1    2 weeks ago
Then sue them and beat them down at congressional hearings.

how naive can one be?

sandy-2021492
1.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

Exactly.  Pharma has our legislators in their pockets.

The Magic Eight Ball
1.1.6  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.5    2 weeks ago
Pharma has our legislators in their pockets.

don't worry.. politicians will get right on it after they spend a few more years harassing trump for wanting to manufacture things in our country again.     

MUVA
1.1.7  MUVA  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

Not sure but if people think the only reason they moved production out of country is cost they are mistaken.

sandy-2021492
1.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  MUVA @1.1.7    2 weeks ago

I'd say cost and less oversight (but oversight increases cost) are the main reasons.  It basically boils down to cost, I'd bet.  So we get cheaper drugs, made with less oversight (which helps make them cheaper), but they may be contaminated with carcinogens (Losartan, Zantac), or they may not be made in the quantities in which they're needed (heparin, vincristine, and, a few years ago, local anesthetics).

MUVA
1.1.9  MUVA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

I'm talking about sheer amount of litigation against drug companies tort reform is needed.  

sandy-2021492
1.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  MUVA @1.1.9    2 weeks ago

So, are you for suing them, or against?  I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to say here.

MUVA
1.1.11  MUVA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.10    2 weeks ago

I'm for taking legal action when it is justified I'm not for late night attorneys making a business out of  suing drug companies.One of my best friends is a personal injury attorney and rejects more cases than he takes because they are unwarranted but those same people end up with a attorneys any way .

sandy-2021492
1.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  MUVA @1.1.11    2 weeks ago

"When it is justified" is not so black and white.  There have been drugs that have been rushed through approval that have had unanticipated side effects, or known (to drug companies) but unreported side effects.  But there are also people who sue because they don't think any drug should have untoward side effects, when they pretty much all do.  And there's quite a spectrum in between.

But in the absence of a law or contract requiring a drug manufacturer to make a specified amount of a particular drug, and deliver it to a specific country or area of a country, on what grounds can they be sued for drug shortages?

JBB
1.1.13  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.12    2 weeks ago

AZT probably killed more than it helped...

Trout Giggles
1.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @1.1.13    2 weeks ago

thalidomide is another good example. It really did help with nausea in pregnant women but the side effects were horrific

sandy-2021492
1.1.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  JBB @1.1.13    2 weeks ago

A class of drugs that have made trouble for dentists and oral surgeons is the bisphosphonates, things like Fosamax and Boniva, or IV Zometa.  An unknown side effect was that they prevent bone from healing after things like tooth extractions, and patients started showing up with huge pieces of necrotic bone in their jaws after simple extractions.  Some patients have lost entire lower jaws to this.  And there doesn't always have to be an extraction - I've had two patients with minor cases who hadn't had an extraction for years before they started taking those meds.

It was the sort of thing that only showed up after people had been on them for years, so it never came up during the approval process.

And yet, the IV versions of those drugs prevent cancer from spreading in bone, or slow it.  Rapid spread of cancer in bone causes blood calcium levels to skyrocket, causing a quick death due to kidney failure.  So these drugs can add years of life for a cancer patient.  And they all prevent fractures from osteoporosis, which significantly impact quality of life.

All drugs have risks, so we have to weigh the risks versus the benefits.

sandy-2021492
1.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.14    2 weeks ago

I believe there's some research regarding use of thalidomide in some cancers (maybe leukemias?).

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.17  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.14    2 weeks ago

Thalidomide is now  being used to cut off the blood supply to tumors.

JBB
1.1.18  JBB  replied to  MUVA @1.1.11    2 weeks ago

Cognitive Dissonance Much? Are you only for it when you are against it, too? 

JBB
1.1.19  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.15    2 weeks ago

That is why I don't believe in magic pills though aspirin and penicillin seemed that way once. OTOH, I might be dead w/o BP meds...

MUVA
1.1.20  MUVA  replied to  JBB @1.1.18    2 weeks ago

I'm for tort reform and lower drug prices and making any product we can in this country. I'm not for the ambulance chasing lawyers with class action suits where the victim gets a pittance and the lawyer receives a windfall.A example is the opioid crisis citizens are harmed the fed government sues receives  billions and the people harmed have to fight to get anything threw a class action suit.  

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.21  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MUVA @1.1.20    2 weeks ago

What I find absolutely disgusting is people like the guy who raised the price of epi pens so that they are impossible to afford even with insurance.

sandy-2021492
1.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.21    2 weeks ago

It was a woman. Heather Brecht (sp?), daughter of Senator Joe Manchin of WV.  Google her.  She's filthy.

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.23  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.22    2 weeks ago

There was also a guy who did it.  He is currently in prison but I don't remember what for.

sandy-2021492
1.1.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.23    2 weeks ago

lady in black
1.1.25  lady in black  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.24    2 weeks ago

You mean this jerk.... “Pharma Bro” Martin Shkreli

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691793

sandy-2021492
1.1.26  sandy-2021492  replied to  lady in black @1.1.25    2 weeks ago

That's the one I'm thinking of.  I don't know if there's anybody alive who doesn't want to plant a fist in his face.

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.27  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.26    2 weeks ago

I remember when he asked why he did it and he said "Because I can."

lady in black
1.1.28  lady in black  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.26    2 weeks ago

The smug look was wiped out and replaced by tears when he was sentenced...and he just lost an appeal this past year to have his conviction overturned.  

WallyW
1.2  WallyW  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    2 weeks ago

?

SteevieGee
1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    2 weeks ago

Just another symptom of our irreparably broken health care system.  Time for a complete overhaul.

The Magic Eight Ball
2  The Magic Eight Ball    2 weeks ago

the joys of globalism... lol

Ender
3  Ender    2 weeks ago

Funny that there is no shortage of various narcotic pain pills.

Kavika
3.1  Kavika   replied to  Ender @3    2 weeks ago

Good point Ender. 

Oxycontin is manufactured by Purdue Pharma a privately held company and there isn't any shortage of it. 

They declared bankruptcy this year a large part of the judgements against them. 

It would be interesting to know where this drug is manufactured. 

I believe that our government has to go well beyond that the ''shortages are caused by overseas manufacturing''. If there are no shortage of specific drugs why are there shortages of others if all are manufactured overseas?

More profit in the drugs that are available? 

Always follow the money. 

Paula Bartholomew
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 weeks ago

With Perdue essentially history, the black market for oxy will skyrocket.