╌>

Police look to use Amazon Echo recording in murder investigation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  4 comments

Police look to use Amazon Echo recording in murder investigation
Investigators looking into the death of Silvia Galva hope to use recordings from her boyfriend Adam Crespo’s Amazon Echo to gather clues as to what happened. Crespo told police that they were arguing when his girlfriend “grabbed the spear.” When he turned around, he saw that the blade had penetrated her chest, he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Should the echo and other like systems be used in by the police or is it just another invasion of privacy?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

Technology can "Incriminate" you.....posthumously ……and …..  in absentia ! jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

I have and use "Public" Tech. as little as possible. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
3  NV-Robin6    5 years ago

That's a tough one Perrie. There's an argument for both sides of this coin. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
4  zuksam    5 years ago

In this case it's not a very complicated issue since it appears the accused wants the recordings to be used. I'm not sure what or how much gets recorded by these things but police have for years used search history off suspects computers as evidence. I'd say any commands made to the machine are fair game but any background noise should be inadmissible unless the suspect allows it or the suspect had no expectation of privacy as in if it wasn't their home or office. Basically any resident should be protected against evidence gathered as background none-command recordings but a visitor or home invader should not as they have no expectation of privacy unless secretly recording people is illegal in that state. Of course since recordings of attacks caught on 911 calls have been used I imagine the same rules would apply if the victim called out to the device during an attack and the device recorded evidence. Such as if a wife calls out "Alexa my husband is stabbing me" it should be treated as a 911 call and no suspect resident or not should have any protection even if the suspect owns the device and is a resident and the victim isn't a resident so basically same rules as a phone being used to call 911.