╌>

‘You can cut through any wall’: Trump admits ‘world-class’ Mexico border barrier could be breached

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  75 comments

By:   The Independent

‘You can cut through any wall’: Trump admits ‘world-class’ Mexico border barrier could be breached

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Joe Sommerlad, The Independent   Sun, Nov 3 5:16 AM EST  

81537f839b6577942088300d98fb50cc

Donald Trump   has unexpectedly admitted his   US-Mexico border wall , currently under construction, will not be as impenetrable as first promised.

The US president was asked by reporters at the White House on Saturday about a   Washington Post   report suggesting smugglers had already succeeded in   cutting through sections of the barrier using everyday household power tools .

“I haven’t heard that. We have a very powerful wall”, Mr Trump responded. “But no matter how powerful, you can cut through anything, in all fairness. But we have a lot of people watching.”

“You know cutting, cutting is one thing, but it’s easily fixed. One of the reasons we did it the way we did it, it’s very easily fixed. You put the chunk back in. But we have a very powerful wall. But you can cut through any wall.”

The president’s less-than-reassuring remarks mark a significant U-turn from his blustering performance when he last visited a construction site near San Diego, California, on 18 September, when he described the barrier as “virtually impenetrable” and a “world-class security system”.

A signature campaign promise first raised by the president on Twitter in August 2014, Mr Trump’s “big, beautiful” border wall has been dogged by setbacks since his inauguration.

Having initially promised his supporters   Mexico   would pick up the tab for its construction, the president was ultimately forced to ask   Congress   for $5.7bn (£4.4bn) in federal funding, which was rejected by House speaker   Nancy Pelosi   and Senate minority leader   Chuck Schumer   last December.

Mr Trump baulked at the Democratic leaders’ offer of $1.4bn (£1bn) as a compromise, bringing about a record-breaking 35-day government shutdown that lasted well into January.

The president finally declared that the “crisis” in illegal immigration at the US southwestern border constituted a a national emergency in February, invoking powers that enabled him to bypass congressional objections and reclaim funds from existing military projects in order to pay for the project.

That decision was met with an outcry and saw both the House of Representatives and Senate pass a motion of disapproval calling for the declaration to be revoked, which the president swiftly vetoed when it landed on his desk in the Oval Office.

So keen to get the project underway, the president had a plaque added to an existing section of fencing put up under   Barack Obama   in 2009 laying claim to it as the start of his own grand undertaking.

He also regularly tweeted pictures of labourers repairing existing barriers, claiming their efforts were new segments going up.

When construction work did press ahead in earnest, the former property tycoon was insistent on micromanaging it and complained that early sections going up were “ugly”,   according to a   Post   report in May .

To remedy that, the president reportedly demanded that workers paint the structure black so that its surfaces might better absorb the heat from the blistering summer sun, making it tougher for would-be illegal entrants to climb.

He also suggested adding a row of spikes to the top to ensure maximum injury would be inflicted on anyone who made it that high. Both suggestions had to be dropped after engineers explained such measures would be too impractical to execute and too costly to maintain.

Most absurdly of all, it emerged last month that Mr Trump had allegedly proposed having snipers shoot approaching migrants in the legs to disable them and having   a moat dug along the 1,954-mile length of the wall lined with ravenous snakes and alligators   as a further deterrent.

That last idea provoked particular ridicule, not least when it emerged both Mr Obama and satirist   Stephen Colbert   had previously suggested it as joke and when Mr Trump angrily denied having ordered a “moot” on Twitter, the typo quickly going viral.

Read more

Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump’s border wall

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

“I haven’t heard that. We have a very powerful wall”, Mr Trump responded. “But no matter how powerful, you can cut through anything, in all fairness. But we have a lot of people watching.”

“You know cutting, cutting is one thing, but it’s easily fixed. One of the reasons we did it the way we did it, it’s very easily fixed. You put the chunk back in. But we have a very powerful wall. But you can cut through any wall.”

The president’s less-than-reassuring remarks mark a significant U-turn from his blustering performance when he last visited a construction site near San Diego, California, on 18 September, when he described the barrier as “virtually impenetrable” and a “world-class security system”.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

I could have predicted that this would happen.  I was expecting ladders rather than reciprocating saws though because it's easy to engineer a fence that would be  very difficult to saw through.  To me this seems so simple that even Trump would understand it but I guess not.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    5 years ago

My favorite is the ramp on each side and a vehicle drove up the Mexico side and down on the US side.  I wish I could find the picture.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  cjcold  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    5 years ago

Where there is a will, there is a way. The part Trump doesn't understand.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

STILL, NO NEW WALL GOING UP.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  Jasper2529    5 years ago
According to a small handful, if you traded your old car in for a new model, you didn't really GET a new car--you got a replacement car!

New-speak made an early arrival. It wasn't supposed to be here until 2050.  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

74791445_10220452751970832_8819811747171926016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlLw826ft31HZe4OXjXjDvaatW2XQ7JGENahTcyIgtEDkCeIa8ULrMn0F8ropbXZkg&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=25b563cce52b39ae1ad6f10fab862f52&oe=5E5DB7AE

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago

Who are these people?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  bugsy @4.1    5 years ago
Who are these people?

I never heard of either one, and the undocumented quote from comment 4 has no relevance to the seeded topic. 

A quick search reveals that both David Jolly and Nicolle Wallace were "Republicans" until Trump won the presidency. Now, they're "Independents" and Trump/Republican critics.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.1    5 years ago

Who the fuck cares if it doesn't have relevance to the seeded topic?  Truth is truth.  

lib50
Professor Silent
4.1.3  lib50  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.1    5 years ago

Both were republicans, and both have the balls to call out the current crop of gop pussies who have their heads up Trump's ass.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Yes all the republicans who support this turd of a 'president' are exactly what was stated.