╌>

Madonna is frequently hours late for concerts, a fan says. He's suing.

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  36 comments

By:   Minyvonne Burke

Madonna is frequently hours late for concerts, a fan says. He's suing.
The singer has a "long history of arriving and starting her concerts late" and to accommodate her tardiness a show was rescheduled to start at 10:30 p.m., the suit says.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Florida man has filed a class-action lawsuit against Madonna after a concert he planned to attend in Miami Beach was pushed back by two hours to accommodate the pop star's tardiness.

Nate Hollander purchased three tickets totaling $1,024.95 for Madonna's Dec. 17, 2019, " Madame X Tour " at the Fillmore Miami Beach concert venue, according to the suit filed Nov. 4 in federal court in Miami-Dade County.

At the time Hollander bought the tickets, the show was scheduled to start at 8:30 p.m., according to the suit against the pop star and concert promoter Live Nation.

The suit alleges at the start of the tour, which kicked off in September, Madonna repeatedly arrived hours late to her shows.

The singer, 61, has a   "long history of arriving and starting her concerts late " and to accommodate her tardiness her shows, including the Miami Beach one, were rescheduled to start at 10:30 p.m., the complaint states.

Hollander did not want to attend a concert that late and Live Nation would not refund him his money, according to the lawsuit.

"Ticketholders had to work and go to school the next day, which prevented them from attending a concert that would end at around 1:00 a.m.," the suit claims. "Hollander attempted, without success, to obtain a refund for the three tickers purchased for the Madonna concert."

In an attempt to recover some of the money he spent, Hollander used Ticketmaster to resell the concert tickets.

"Due to the change in the start times ... all tickets purchased by Hollander and all class members suffered an extreme loss in value, making it impossible for Hollander and all class members to recover the amount paid for said tickets by reselling them," according to the lawsuit.

Hollander is suing for breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation and is seeking damages. He claims Madonna and Live Nation "knew or should have known that said concerts would not start at 8:30 p.m." due to her showing up late to previous shows.

Madonna and Live Nation could not immediately be reached for comment on the lawsuit.

According to   KVVU   in Las Vegas, fans reportedly booed Madonna and chanted they wanted a refund after a show Thursday at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace started two hours late. The outlet reported that the concert was scheduled to start at 10:30 p.m. but the singer did not hit the stage until 12:30 a.m.

Madonna addressed the crowd in a   video   she posted on Twitter early Saturday morning. "Here's something that you all need to understand. And that is, that a queen is never late," she said as she sat on top of a piano.

She captioned the video "F.A.C.T.S." with a crown emoji and the hashtags "#madamextheatre #thecolosseum."

The Madame X Tour ends in March 2020 with stops in Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia and in Europe.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

To sue, she needs to have broken some sort of contract, so are concert tickets that contract?

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2  al Jizzerror    5 years ago
Nate Hollander purchased three tickets totaling $1,024.95

Nate probably thinks he owns her.

I haven't been to a Madonna concert butt I have been to lots of concerts that started late.

It's okay with me.  It gives me time to get high.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    5 years ago

I went to one Madonna concert (free tickets in cool box seats).   Madonna (the 'artist') was not ready and the delay was about 2 hours.   Apparently true Madonna fans expect this and actually planned on a later concert.

I think Madonna is arrogant.   None of my favorite performers play this stupid game.   But, hey, if Madonna fans put up with it then no long term harm done other than Madonna trimming the size of her audiences.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @3    5 years ago

On the one hand she's well known to start a couple hours late, and that will be a key defence to the claim, but on the other hand..."a queen is never late"?  What an ego!!!  I hope he succeeds.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago
that will be a key defence to the claim

Absolutely.   I do not see success in a lawsuit.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    5 years ago

My concert days are over. I use to spend just 12.50 for general admission, and saw some great bands.

Plus back then people use to pass joints around and a dollar beer. Those days are long gone.

Screw this over a hundred bucks for a crappy seat and a bunch of idiots that would complain even about a vape.

The only time I ever go now is if someone gets some comped tickets.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

I pretty much feel the same. I'll still hit a Phish or Dead and company concert and a lot of free outdoor local shows. When I was young in the Detroit area at our local outdoor venue Pine Knob you could bring your own keg to the lawn section. Concerts were a lot more fun back then. 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Ender  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1    5 years ago

A lot more fun. With the general admission I could make my way up to the front if I wanted or find a seat for a while.

I spent my teenage years in Maryland. We had one open air venue, the Merriweather Post pavilion. One time it rained on us watching Aerosmith. Tried to roll a joint under a tree, not very successful. Haha

Plus we had some local bands like The Ravens and Crack The Sky.

I think the last one I attended was a free block party concert at our annual Cruising the Coast. Played like 50's music.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

I hear you.   I just went to a DMB concert earlier this year.   I paid hundreds of dollars per ticket to get great seats (DMB is one of my all time favorite bands).   We were center and the first row (nobody in front of us).   The walkway was in front of us and then after that came the box seats.   I felt we would finally have a good concert without being obstructed by people standing in front and blocking our view.

All the box seats had people who for the most part sat down and watched the concert.   Except for the two box seats in front of us where the assholes stood up or sat on the backs of their chairs the entire concert.   There was no need for this since they had a totally clear view from sitting at their box seats around their tables.    Seems to me they stood up and blocked everyone's view because they could.

Given the absurd price one must pay for tickets and the fact that the venue allows people to be so inconsiderate to everyone in back of them and block the view of the concert they came to experience, I am all but done with live concerts.   I will buy the DVDs or stream them instead.   That way I can actually watch the band.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.2.1    5 years ago
Nobody that is on the floor front and center should ever be expected to be sitting down that’s why they pay for the seats down there.

I was not talking about the mosh pit, I was talking about the box seats:  tables surrounded by chairs.   I wrote 'box seats'.

Pay attention.

Often times that’s the only place they’re actually allowed to stand is in their seats unfortunately the venues fuck that up too.

I wish there was a designated spot for standing.   At least that way I could buy tickets which are not obstructed by the designated standing area.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @5.2    5 years ago

I have a bottle of his wine.

I have had that happen before. Get floor seats and can't see a thing.  After that I tried to get on a tier close to the front. It was a side view yet unobstructed. Until of course everyone decides to stand.

The only time I was front row was during a general admission, then I could make my way there. Eddie Van Halen looked at me.  Haha

It is just way to expensive now for the hassle.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @5.2.4    5 years ago

We were front row behind the box seats.   The floor was further down in front of the box seats.   The floor in this venue did not obstruct any views from the seats.

I agree, the value does not warrant the price.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.2.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Ender @5.2.4    5 years ago

Yep it would be hard to estimate how many people had obstructed views over the years because they found themselves standing behind Bill Walton at a Dead show. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.8  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.2.7    5 years ago

Sorry to ~~upset~~ you.   Was not aware that people standing up and blocking everyone else was such a sensitive subject for you.    I suspect that suggests you would more likely be the individual who inconsiderately stands up and blocks those behind him.   Your comments do not seem to correlate with the considerate individuals who do not act like they own the place.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.2.9  al Jizzerror  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.8    5 years ago
people standing up and blocking everyone

Don't you hate it when some guy in front hoists his girlfriend up on his shoulders.

Butt, it's okay with me if she removes her shirt and she doesn't wear a bra.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  al Jizzerror @5.2.9    5 years ago

It depends on which show is better.   

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.12  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.2.11    5 years ago
Your view could just as easily be blocked by someone sitting down.  So again you have it backwards.

You think it is as likely to have one's view blocked by a seated patron as it is to be blocked by that patron standing?    What odd logic.   

If a seated patron was big, tall, etc. enough to block our views that is just the luck of the draw.   The person is not being arrogant and inconsiderate.   Big difference.

Those people you are referring to have every right afforded them at the venue.   That's why they pay the price for their seats.   That someone would then suggest that someone else is inconsiderate for enjoying themselves in the manner that is customary for a particular venue suggests that your opinion is entirely backwards.  That is what the issue is here. There are a whole bunch words I could use to label that attitude but again I will have to pull my punches.

Yes, those who stood have every right to do so since the venue allows it.   It is arrogant and inconsiderate for them to stand up and block the views of many fellow patrons but, indeed, the venue does not stop them from doing so.   That is why that venue has lost my business.   It is my right to not patronize services that suck.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.2.13    5 years ago

Yeah, common courtesy is such an outrageous expectation.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
5.3  GaJenn78  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

My last great concert was Tom Petty. Drank white zin out of a carafe for 11 bucks and had the best seats on the lawn. God I miss those days and it wasn't even that damn long ago!

Ender
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Ender  replied to  GaJenn78 @5.3    5 years ago

The great Tom Petty. RIP

My very first concert (hate to admit it) was the Bee Gees with KC and the Sunshine Band opening. Oddly I don't remember what my last one ones. I think it was a later Zepplin tour.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

My fav concert was seeing Harry Chapin.  Tickets were only five bucks, but he had a request for everyone who would attend.  He asked that we also bring food items to feed the hungry.  He started doing that before it became fashionable.