╌>

What personal data you give away when you hand out your cell phone number

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  12 comments

What personal data you give away when you hand out your cell phone number
We give out our cell phone numbers all the time, but those 10 digits also give companies a ton of information about us and how we live our lives. NBC’s Jacob Ward gives his number to a privacy expert, who is able to dig up old addresses, favorite stores and even relatives’ names.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Since you ONLY post nbcnews.com videos as your featured stories, which as I've said I cannot open, I can not post any comment on something of which I have no knowledge. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

This seed is a video Buzz. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    5 years ago
This seed is a video Buzz. 

Buzz noted that in comment 1, John.

In the past, Buzz has also stated many times that he lives in China and cannot open videos that we can.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.1    5 years ago

You are right. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.1    5 years ago

Some I can and some I can't, but I can't open nbcnews videos, which are the only ones Perrie has been posting lately.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    5 years ago
but I can't open nbcnews videos

I know that you also cannot open YouTube videos. That's why I always give you a description so you can find my references on the sites that you can access.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I watch the CBS drama "FBI" sometimes.  On that show that have analysts who sit at computers in the FBI New York office and can find out all sorts of things about people from just their phone number. Within seconds they have the persons photo, what schools they went to , where they ate dinner last night, and often, due to what is I guess New York City's ubiquitous public videoing system , where the person is at any given minute. In this fictional world, the FBI solves all their cases of kidnapping, murder, terrorism, bank robbery, etc, within 24 hours.  It is so unrealistic, but it sure makes the show zip along. 

I think people need to worry that their financial information may be stolen and their bank account drained. Other than that, I don't care if people know what stores I go to, or my relatives names. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

"Persons of Interest" did the same - amazing.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
or my relatives names

You might want to reconsider that comment. It doesn't take much effort for someone to get your relatives' sensitive information once they have your relatives' names.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    5 years ago

I pretty much have giving up on any idea of private information anymore.  

If you put information in your phone or on the internet those passwords aren't worth shit.  Yeah get an iPhone they said, your passwords are protected they said.  

I switched from an android to an iPhone a few months ago and have had nothing but problems with my bank accounts, apple, and my credit. Hackers have used my bank debit cards for purchases all over the world, apple play, and has applied for credit under my name.  It has been a mess.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Sunshine @3    5 years ago

Have you considered using a password manager like KeePass? It creates very long passwords for you, and all you have to remember is the master password. It's easy to use.

This article is from 2016, so it might be a little outdated. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    5 years ago

Thanks Jasper, I will take a look at it.