╌>

Neil Young says U.S. dual citizenship stalled because of marijuana use

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  38 comments

By:   No author indicated

Yeah this immoral SOB who has supported and performed at Farm Aid since its inception, who founded and supports a charity for severely disabled children, who has probably paid millions of dollars in taxes, who, and I speak from personal knowledge, is one hell of a nice guy, who has lived in America for decades, was married to an American wife for 36 years who together had a couple of children who are American, but he does not have the correct MORAL qualifications for him to gain American citizenship.  After all, Americans are SO much more moral than Canadians.

Posted under The Lighter Side / Humor instead of News, or even Entertainment, because it's so ludicrous.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

music-neil-young-cannabis-20191110.jpg

Neil Young performs at the BottleRock Napa Valley Music Festival at Napa Valley Expo on May 25, 2019, in Napa, Calif.Amy Harris / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TORONTO — Neil Young says his marijuana use has cast a cloud over his application to become a dual citizen in the United States.

The legendary singer-songwriter and proud Canadian says in a statement on his website that he recently applied for American citizenship so he could vote in the 2020 presidential election.

Young says he passed a test in which he was asked many questions and answered truthfully, but was recently told he must do another test due to his use of cannabis.

In April, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services issued a policy alert stating that applicants who possess, grow or distribute marijuana may lack “good moral character,” even if the activity is legal in their state or country.

Young writes in his post that he sincerely hopes he has exhibited good moral character and will be able to vote with his conscience on President Donald Trump and his fellow candidates.

The U.S. citizenship department and the musician’s publicist did not immediately respond to requests for further comment.

Young has lived in the U.S. for decades.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

America doesn't want you, Neil.  Canada is your home and you've always been welcome there.  Think of the words in your song: "Helpless".

"There is a town in North Ontario
With dream, comfort, memory to spare
And in my mind, I still need a place to go
All my changes were there"

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago
Fuck America

I really did not like that!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @1.1    5 years ago

You're right. I apologize, and deleted it. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.2  PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

Buzz - It's okay to express your opinion.  I don't think America stands for free speech only when the free speech is positive. I know that there are some in this country that only want to hear how great we are as we fuck over our allies and destroy our core values and attack minorities.  Ignore them.  The majority of America (typically non trump supporters) understand that we need to hear the bad to remain true to our principles. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ @1.1.2    5 years ago

Thanks for being supportive, PJ, but my initial anger about Neil being treated as immoral has now subsided to the extent that I realized, with Charger's help, that not ALL Americans deserve what I said, which really was an improper generalization.

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.4  PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    5 years ago

Well I'm glad charger was able to make you see the light and helped you change your opinion.  It's important that some not hear criticism. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ @1.1.4    5 years ago

I differ from a lot of NT members, because I openly admit when I'm wrong, and apologize when I believe I should. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ @1.1.4    5 years ago

Yes we saw that when leftists shut down conservative speakers in Berkeley and the bans of conservatives like Alex Jones on youtube, twitter and NTers and when the leftists shut down Trumps rally in Chicago. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.7  PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.5    5 years ago

I don't think you need to apologize. Those of us who have traveled the world understand that America is not number 1 in many areas.  America is far from great.  Especially these days when there are so many that don't value diversity and what our country used to stand for. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.8  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.6    5 years ago

[Removed]

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.11  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

thank you

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.12  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.11    5 years ago

No, I thank YOU. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.6    5 years ago
conservatives like Alex Jones on youtube

Who has been banned on just about every social media site there is. No one that supports what he has to say is an American in my opinion. He literally said a mass shooting was made up... Sorry, that's just fucking sick. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Lynyrd Skynyrd wasn’t joking. 

Turn it up
Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the south-land
I miss 'ole' 'bamy once again
And I think it's a sin, yes
Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard old Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    5 years ago

Who is barney? and what song did Neil sing about it/her/him?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago

It's Bamy short for Alabama. 

By all accounts, the famous lyrical war of words between Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd was more like a spirited debate between respectful friends than an actual feud.

Young's songs 'Alabama' and 'Southern Man' took aim at the South's checkered race relations past, with references to slave ownership and cross burning. Skynyrd singer Ronnie Van Zant seemingly felt Young was painting too many good people with the same old, bad brush, and responded with the now famous "don't need him around anyhow" line in 1974's 'Sweet Home Alabama.' However, both repeatedly declared their respect for the other, and Young even played 'Alabama' in concert at least once .

Read More: Neil Young vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd – Nastiest Rock Feuds | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-young-vs-lynyrd-skynyrd-nastiest-rock-feuds/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.1    5 years ago

Ah, you're filling in some spaces for me. I've watched the movie Sweet Home Alabama but never knew its connection to Lynyrd Skynyrd..  Here is the Wikipedia brief description that is relevant to our discussion:

"Sweet Home Alabama is a 2002 American romantic comedy film directed by Andy Tennant and starring Reese Witherspoon, Josh Lucas, Patrick Dempsey and Candice Bergen. The film was released by Touchstone Pictures on September 27, 2002. The film takes its title from the Lynyrd Skynyrd song of the same name."

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.3  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago

Buzz, I'm sorry your point of reference is the movie. My wife makes me suffer through it once a week. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.1.3    5 years ago

LOL. I know exactly what you mean.  They do show every kind of movie here, even bad ones.  Actually I was glad to see that Mary Kay Place had a part (as Reese's mother) because I've not seen her in film or TV for decades.  The best line in the movie IMO was when the NYC Mayor (Candice Bergen) said:

"I've never met anyone so manipulative, so deceitful, and I'm in politics."

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.5  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    5 years ago

You may be correct. What that movie could use is more Candice Bergen.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago

I like the definition of irony in the movie Con Air when the prisoners were dancing to their music.

"Irony is a bunch of idiots singing a song on plane made famous by a band that died in a plane crash."

Trivia ? - How did the band get their name?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.6    5 years ago

LOL.  I can still see in my mind's eye Steve Buscemi saying that line.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.7    5 years ago

With or without him wearing a woman's head as a hat as he claimed he did?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.9  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.8    5 years ago

LOL. I don't recall that.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.9    5 years ago

He was describing one of his crimes to Cage.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.10    5 years ago

I can remember certain scenes in the movie, like Buscemi sitting with a little girl drinking tea, or Cage preventing a female guard from being raped or killed, but I do forget a lot and even miss certain things when I first watch a movie - a reason  I like to watch many movies at least once more, if not many times - like Casablanca.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.11    5 years ago

My fav line is "Put the bunny down!"

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    5 years ago

What took him so long?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sunshine @3    5 years ago

What? To get American citizenship?  I believe he never had a reason to, but now thinks that every vote counts for the 2020 election and wants to be part of whatever result he has in mind.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  Split Personality    5 years ago
“good moral character,”

Alice's Restaurant... the full "lyrics" are too long to post but here is the relevant part.

("KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?") I went over to the sargent, said, "Sargeant, you got a lot a damn gall to
ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm
sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench
'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough join the army, burn women,
kids, houses and villages after bein' a litterbug." He looked at me and
said, "Kid, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send you fingerprints
off to Washington."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @4    5 years ago

Yeah, Arlo made his point there.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago

Anyone notice anything interesting here?

lynyrd.jpg

Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd wrote their song " Sweet Home Alabama " in response to "Southern Man" and " Alabama " from Young's 1972 album Harvest . Young has said that he is a fan of both "Sweet Home Alabama" and Ronnie Van Zant , the lead vocalist for Lynyrd Skynyrd. "They play like they mean it," Young said in 1976. "I'm proud to have my name in a song like theirs." [2] Young has also been known to play "Sweet Home Alabama" in concert occasionally. To demonstrate this camaraderie, Van Zant frequently wore a Neil Young Tonight's the Night T-shirt while performing "Sweet Home Alabama". [3] Crazy Horse bassist Billy Talbot can often be seen reciprocating by wearing a Jack Daniel's -styled Lynyrd Skynyrd T-shirt (including at the Live Rust concert).

In his book Waging Heavy Peace: A Hippie Dream , Young stated that Lynyrd Skynyrd wrote "Sweet Home Alabama" not in response to "Southern Man", but rather to Young's song "Alabama". Young noted that Lynyrd Skynyrd's implied criticism was deserved because Young's lyrics to Alabama were condescending and accusatory. [4]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  sixpick  replied to  sixpick @4.1.1    5 years ago

Ronnie Van Zant is wearing a Neil Young shirt on the album cover of "Street Survivors".