Trump supporters are in a cult, and Mitch McConnell is one of them, says Dan Rather

Via:  ender  •  4 weeks ago  •  79 comments

By:   MIKE MURPHY

Trump supporters are in a cult, and Mitch McConnell is one of them, says Dan Rather
‘Cults generally don’t end well,’ longtime CBS newsman says on CNN

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump’s followers are part of a “cult” — and that includes Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, longtime news anchor Dan Rather said Sunday.

Speaking   on CNN’s “Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter” on Sunday morning,   Rather, the former CBS News anchor, said Trump’s support is “all about him.”

“Increasingly President Trump’s support seems cultish. It’s all about him, it’s not about a policy.”

Dan Rather

“These cults, cults generally don’t end well,” Rather said. “People will say it’s too much to say it’s a cult. I don’t think so. The further we go, it is always all about him. It’s not about a policy.”

When asked specifically if McConnell, the Kentucky Republican, was part of that cult, Rather said: “The short answer is yes.”

Speaking about the impeachment inquiry, and allegations that Trump tried to bribe a foreign government and intimidate witnesses, Rather said of Trump: “I’d say history is closing in on him, facts are closing in.”

Still, because of that cult-like following, “whether or not that’s enough to have a real trial in the Senate or not, I have my doubts,” he said.

Rather isn’t the only one saying Trump supporters are part of a cult. A report last week by Vanity Fair said outspoken anti-Trump Republican George Conway, whose wife is White House adviser Kellyanne Conway,   “tells people she’s in a cult.”

Photo: Dan Rather speaks at SiriusXM Studio in Washington in 2018. Getty Images

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Ender
1  seeder  Ender    4 weeks ago
@DanRather
I have covered many cults. Some end with a bang, others with whimper. But they invariably end. The question is how much damage they leave in their wake.

Dean Moriarty
2  Dean Moriarty    4 weeks ago

Dan you can’t hide your bias and MSM can’t hide its bias any longer. 

Ender
2.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 weeks ago

Yep. Telling the truth about trump is all leftwing bias....s/

MUVA
2.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Ender @2.1    4 weeks ago

Telling and believing lies shows bias

Dismayed Patriot
2.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MUVA @2.1.1    4 weeks ago
Telling and believing lies shows bias

What lies has Dan told?

Those refusing the accept the 13,000+ confirmed lies told by dishonest Donald have no room to throw stones even if something Rather said was even slightly inaccurate, which it wasn't.

MUVA
2.1.3  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.2    4 weeks ago

Dan was fired for lying how quickly we forget.

Ender
2.1.4  seeder  Ender  replied to  MUVA @2.1.3    4 weeks ago
The former anchor’s reputation was tarnished after the accuracy of his 2004 story questioning President George W. Bush’s military service was publicly disputed by the leader’s administration. The entire saga was recently dramatized on the big screen in  Truth , starring Robert Redford as Rather. 

“We reported a true story. We didn’t do it perfectly,” the 84-year-old recently told  The Hollywood Reporter . “We made some mistakes of getting to the truth. But that didn’t change the truth of what we reported.” 

Rather and his producer Mary Mapes (played by Cate Blanchett in  Truth ) aired a story that alleged that Bush went AWOL during his time in the Texas Air National Guard. The Bush administration charged that the documents used as the basis for the report were inauthentic, leading to an independent investigation that ultimately concluded that the piece disregarded “fundamental journalistic principles.” The documents were not, however, ever proved to be forgeries. 

Link

MUVA
2.1.5  MUVA  replied to  Ender @2.1.4    4 weeks ago

He lied and was fired.

dennis smith
2.1.6  dennis smith  replied to  MUVA @2.1.5    4 weeks ago

He is a has been and has been since he was fired..

Ender
2.1.7  seeder  Ender  replied to  MUVA @2.1.5    4 weeks ago

Did you even read my link?

MUVA
2.1.8  MUVA  replied to  Ender @2.1.7    4 weeks ago

I all ready know what Dan did I don’t need the revisionist version.

Ender
2.1.9  seeder  Ender  replied to  MUVA @2.1.8    4 weeks ago

So the only thing you are going to do is attack Dan Rather instead of trying to say what he said was wrong.

MUVA
2.1.10  MUVA  replied to  Ender @2.1.9    4 weeks ago

No I’m going to call that liar a liar do you really think there is a cult that some Americans are apart of like Dan the lying man.0

Ender
2.1.11  seeder  Ender  replied to  MUVA @2.1.10    4 weeks ago

Yes I do. The trumpers act like they are in a cult.

Paula Bartholomew
2.1.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MUVA @2.1.3    4 weeks ago

Trump has lied thousands of times and you have no problem with that.

JohnRussell
2.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.12    4 weeks ago
Trump has lied thousands of times and you have no problem with that.

How quickly they forget. 

Ender
2.1.14  seeder  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.12    4 weeks ago

What is his lie count up to...13,000 or so.

That is just fine with some, look the other way....

lady in black
2.1.15  lady in black  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.13    4 weeks ago

They don't forget, they ignore and are in denial

WallyW
2.1.16  WallyW  replied to  Ender @2.1.4    3 weeks ago
The documents were not, however, ever proved to be forgeries. 

No, they were fakes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6055248/ns/politics/t/cbs-news-admits-bush-documents-cant-be-verified/#.XdPzVbhT-po

" CBS News apologized Monday for a “mistake in judgment” in its story questioning President Bush’s National Guard service, claiming it was misled by the source of documents that several experts have dismissed as fakes."

"Almost immediately after the story aired Sept. 8, document experts questioned memos purportedly written by Bush’s late squadron leader, Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian, saying they appeared to have been created on a computer and not on the kind of typewriter in use during the 1970s."

"Source admits fabrication
CBS strongly defended its story. It wasn’t until a week later — after Killian’s former secretary said she believed the memos were fake — that the news division admitted they were questionable."

r.t..b...
2.2  r.t..b...  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 weeks ago
Dan you can’t hide your bias

A common malady it seems. Fabricating excuses is easy and intellectually lazy given the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

dennis smith
2.2.1  dennis smith  replied to  r.t..b... @2.2    3 weeks ago

Fabricating excuses is easy and intellectually lazy given the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Exactly what the dems have been doing for over 3 years in the House.

WallyW
3  WallyW    4 weeks ago

Old fake document Dan?? jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Guess we'll find out in 2025. But think how much damage Hillary would have caused!

Ender
3.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  WallyW @3    4 weeks ago

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas.

MUVA
3.2  MUVA  replied to  WallyW @3    4 weeks ago

Dan Dan the lying man.

WallyW
3.2.1  WallyW  replied to  MUVA @3.2    4 weeks ago

So Dipshit Dan is calling over 63,000,000 people cultists?  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
3.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MUVA @3.2    4 weeks ago
Dan Dan the lying man.

“I’d say history is closing in on him, facts are closing in.”

[Removed]

WallyW
3.2.3  WallyW  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2.2    4 weeks ago

On the contrary, we are confident that the lack of any relevant evidence showing Trump committed an impeachable offense will blow back onto the Dems, which is already happening.

Furthermore, 97% of likely voters are bored stiff with this whole silly clown show and have tuned this charade out with a collective yawn.

r.t..b...
3.2.4  r.t..b...  replied to  WallyW @3.2.1    4 weeks ago
calling over 63,000,000 people cultists?

Probably just those choose to ignore the continual lies and abuse of power to cast their vote for him in 2020.

Dismayed Patriot
3.2.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  WallyW @3.2.3    4 weeks ago
any relevant evidence showing Trump committed an impeachable offense

Ah, the hair parsing of "Yes, what the President did was improper, definitely uncouth, not something any reasonable person would do, and in fact, in many people minds an illicit illegal impeachable offense, but not in our minds. It was "wrong", but not impeachable. What a fucking disgusting cop out. What a smarmy, slimy ridiculous excuse of the inexcusable. How anyone making that sad and sordid defense can sleep at night while still calling themselves Americans and not Russian foreign agents determined to overthrow western democracy by supporting a vile piece of crap authoritarian Putin puppet is beyond me.

katrix
3.2.6  katrix  replied to  WallyW @3.2.3    4 weeks ago
Furthermore, 97% of likely voters are bored stiff with this whole silly clown show and have tuned this charade out with a collective yawn.

I don't think that high a percent of likely voters are unethical idiots who hate our country.

r.t..b...
3.2.7  r.t..b...  replied to  WallyW @3.2.3    4 weeks ago
97% of likely voters

hey...the same percentage of those in Crimea who supposedly voted to cede themselves from Ukraine...

MUVA
3.2.8  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2.2    4 weeks ago

So you think Dan the liar is right and there is some type of cult too funny.

MUVA
3.2.9  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2.2    4 weeks ago

What the fuck is going to happen to me for supporting Trump I know nothing.

Dismayed Patriot
3.2.10  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MUVA @3.2.8    4 weeks ago
So you think Dan the liar is right and there is some type of cult too funny.

It's obvious most Trump fans wouldn't hesitate to drink down the poisoned cool-aid if he demanded they all drink. Calling Dan Rather "the liar" while defending the Barron of bullshit is rather funny though, in a sick sort of way. That level of hypocrisy is truly astounding.

MUVA
3.2.11  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2.10    3 weeks ago

He was fired for lying it's a fact.

WallyW
3.2.12  WallyW  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2.10    3 weeks ago

What are your 10 favorite Trump lies.

Think hard.

katrix
3.2.13  katrix  replied to  WallyW @3.2.12    3 weeks ago
What are your 10 favorite Trump lies.

You're the one who constantly defends them - what are your favorites? Or does Fox keep telling you that he doesn't lie?

dennis smith
3.2.15  dennis smith  replied to  r.t..b... @3.2.4    3 weeks ago

Since your 1st word is "probably", it fits in with perhaps, maybe, hearsay, heard it from someone who was not there etc. 

JohnRussell
3.2.16  JohnRussell  replied to  dennis smith @3.2.15    3 weeks ago

What would you do without right wing media to tell you what to say? 

Sean Treacy
4  Sean Treacy    4 weeks ago

I’m surprised rather didn’t just forge documents to show the existence of an imaginary cult.

he must be getting lazy in old age.

Paula Bartholomew
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 weeks ago

The turtle is little more than an ass kissing yes man for Trump.

JohnRussell
6  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

Dismayed Patriot
6.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @6    4 weeks ago

That is apparently the perspective of all those who have their heads firmly implanted in Trumps voluminous backside.

Ender
6.1.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1    4 weeks ago

Notice that none of them are actually defending trump, instead they attack the messenger.

Ozzwald
6.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @6    4 weeks ago

Worship at his alter...

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fda

190304124858-trump-fast-food-north-dakot

landscape-1470669200-trump-food.jpg?resi

Jasper2529
7  Jasper2529    4 weeks ago
Dan Rather

Has a long string of controversial "journalistic reporting" at age 88. 

Is this the same Dan Rather who falsely reported a story after JFK's assassination?

In the aftermath of the Kennedy assassination while Rather was a Dallas reporter, he interviewed a minister who said some local schoolchildren had cheered upon learning of the President's shooting. The Associated Press later confirmed the story. A teacher at the school backed up the Rather story, confirming that some students at the school had cheered at the principal's news about Kennedy. [126]   Eddie Barker , local Dallas-area news director for CBS, said that Rather had in fact been aware that the children were merely happy about being sent home early and they had not been given a reason for early school closure (Barker's children attended the school, as he informed Rather). He stated that Rather had deliberately misrepresented the facts by indicating that the children were happy about the shooting . Barker attempted to fire Rather, but was overruled by the national CBS News management. [22]

Or is it the Dan Rather who Walter Cronkite slammed?

During an appearance on   CNN 's   American Morning , former CBS anchor   Walter Cronkite   said about Rather: "It surprised quite a few people at CBS and elsewhere that, without being able to pull up the ratings beyond third in a three-man field, that they tolerated his being there for so long." Cronkite also said that   Bob Schieffer 's succession was long overdue. [125]

Keep the bias and false reporting going, Dan - it's all you've got. 

Dismayed Patriot
7.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    4 weeks ago

Really? That's what you're going with in your smear attack on Dan Rather, a news giant for nearly half a century? You're going with "Reporter misrepresented cheer to the news of Kennedy's assassination"? Really? Am I the only one who finds this bizarre attempt at slander far more of a misrepresentation of Rather's career with nothing but slimy sycophants trying to stain his actual work with partisan bullshit?

Jasper2529
7.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1    4 weeks ago
Really? That's what you're going with in your smear attack on Dan Rather,

In comment 7 , I did not make a "smear attack" on Dan Rather. I posted facts about his past.

Paula Bartholomew
7.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.1.1    4 weeks ago

Instead of the past, try concentrating on the present and the thousands of lies your Messiah has told.

WallyW
7.1.3  WallyW  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1.2    3 weeks ago

What  lies? Give us some examples.

JohnRussell
7.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  WallyW @7.1.3    3 weeks ago

How many times do you think Trump has lied in the past three years Wally? Give us a ballpark figure. 

Just Jim NC TttH
7.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    3 weeks ago

And just what were any long lasting ramifications for any of those lies JR?

It's just like EO's and EA's. It isn't the quantity as much as the content. 

WallyW
7.1.6  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    3 weeks ago

I don't remember having heard any lies.jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

katrix
7.1.7  katrix  replied to  WallyW @7.1.6    3 weeks ago
I don't remember having heard any lies

It's astonishing how Trump's base can convince themselves that reality doesn't actually exist.

Trump has lied thousands of times and you pretend you're totally unaware of any of those lies, despite having had them pointed out to you here multiple times. Do you really think you're fooling anyone except maybe yourself?

lady in black
7.1.8  lady in black  replied to  katrix @7.1.7    3 weeks ago

Bigly, HUGGGGGE, biggest EVER case of TDS  - Trump DENIAL syndrome

r.t..b...
7.1.9  r.t..b...  replied to  WallyW @7.1.6    3 weeks ago
I don't remember having heard any lies

“Closing your eyes isn't going to change anything. Nothing's going to disappear just because you can't see what's going on. In fact, things will even be worse the next time you open your eyes. That's the kind of world we live in. Keep your eyes wide open. Only a coward closes his eyes. Closing your eyes and plugging up your ears won't make time stand still.” ~Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

Ender
7.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    4 weeks ago

Except he was not reporting, he was giving his opinion.

Spot on IMO.

Jasper2529
7.2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @7.2    4 weeks ago
Except he was not reporting, he was giving his opinion.

A journalist/reporter presents only facts, not opinion.

Ender
7.2.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.2.1    4 weeks ago

He is allowed his opinion. Just ask the people on fox news.

Sean Treacy
7.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @7.2    4 weeks ago
Spot on IMO.

Sure, if you believe  obvious lies.

It's amazing how people can go from calling Trump a liar to defending lies in the blink of an eye. 

Ender
7.2.4  seeder  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.2.3    4 weeks ago

What lies am I defending? It is my opinion that trumpers act like they are in a cult.

Jasper2529
7.2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @7.2.2    4 weeks ago
He is allowed his opinion.

Of course he is. However, if Mr. Rather wants to be considered a true journalist/reporter, he must adhere to established journalism standards, and those standards do not include opinion

Ender
7.2.6  seeder  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.2.5    4 weeks ago

Last I heard he was not at an anchor desk on a network.

and those standards do not include opinion

Then 95% of fox news would be off the air.

Jasper2529
7.2.7  Jasper2529  replied to  Ender @7.2.6    4 weeks ago
Last I heard he was not at an anchor desk on a network.

That's correct. CBS kicked him out in 2006. From what I've read, he's been rather butthurt since then. I'm glad that he's found work with other left-wing media.

MUVA
7.2.8  MUVA  replied to  Ender @7.2.4    4 weeks ago

That is just silly especially with the group think we are seeing from some in the Democratic Party for fuck sakes.

Ender
7.2.9  seeder  Ender  replied to  MUVA @7.2.8    4 weeks ago

Group think? Hell they can't even agree on policy. I hardly call that group think. Unlike republicans that walk lock step.

MUVA
7.2.10  MUVA  replied to  Ender @7.2.9    4 weeks ago

Please it is ridiculous to say other wise.

Ender
7.2.11  seeder  Ender  replied to  MUVA @7.2.10    4 weeks ago

Only in your world.

Tacos!
7.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @7.2    4 weeks ago
he was giving his opinion

That's not an opinion. It's a misrepresentation of a fact. Rather presented the events as the children cheering because the president had been shot. That was not true. That's getting a fact wrong.

An opinion would be some kind of value judgement. e.g. "The children cheered inappropriately." The only way you could get to it being an opinion that I can think of would be if Rather speculated that he thought the children were cheering because the president had been shot. I guess in that way, it could be opinion, but he should at least present it as a guess because that's all it could be.

If he knew better, though (and it's hard to believe he didn't know better), then it was a lie.

Ender
7.2.13  seeder  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @7.2.12    4 weeks ago

Not a misrepresentation in my opinion. trump supporters act like they are in a cult.

No matter what he says or does, they blindly follow and cheer. Even when it is a proven lie, they will argue to the death.

Tacos!
7.2.14  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @7.2.13    4 weeks ago
Not a misrepresentation in my opinion. trump supporters act like they are in a cult.

Trump supporters wasn't the topic of my comment. I was replying on a thread about Dan Rather's reporting after the JFK assassination. That's why you were discussing reporting vs opinion. At least that's what it looked like. I responded to your @7.2, which was itself a response to @7 which was all about Rather reporting on the JFK thing.

Rather reported that children cheered when told the president had been killed. The children had not been told the president had been killed; and they cheered because school got out early. Rather misrepresented the facts.

WallyW
7.2.15  WallyW  replied to  Ender @7.2.13    3 weeks ago

In my opinion, the foaming at the mouth Trump hating  left wingers are the real cultists

katrix
7.2.16  katrix  replied to  WallyW @7.2.15    3 weeks ago

Of course that's your opinion. Why people who expect our elected officials to put our country first and expect them to act ethically piss you off so much is beyond me, but I think it's a result of all the right wing extremists loonies you listen to or watch on TV, radio, or whatever. They keep you isolated from facts and decent people.

dennis smith
7.2.17  dennis smith  replied to  Tacos! @7.2.14    3 weeks ago

Those on the left who typically spin and deflect are sure out in force on NT today. They keep making bigger fools of themselves when they keep their minds closed.

Ender
8  seeder  Ender    4 weeks ago

Cult...

a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
"a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"

WallyW
8.1  WallyW  replied to  Ender @8    3 weeks ago

I don't particularly like or admire Trump. I don't listen to his rallies. I voted for him because he was not Hillary.

It is entirety about Republican policy and his judicial appointments...

Dean Moriarty
8.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  WallyW @8.1    3 weeks ago

I have a feeling there are more people out there that have excessive admiration for Obama than  Trump. 

Tacos!
9  Tacos!    4 weeks ago
“Increasingly President Trump’s support seems cultish. It’s all about him, it’s not about a policy.”

I think you could say that basic thing about a lot of politicians and their supporters.

For decades, analysts and historians have said Kennedy beat Nixon in the debates because he looked better on TV.

Some people voted for Bill Clinton because he ate at McDonald's and played the sax. Millions of people probably voted for Barack Obama because he is black or maybe because he gives a good speech. Maybe they liked his smile. Maybe they liked that he was young and energetic. Millions probably voted for Hillary Clinton because she is a woman.

None of that has anything to do with policy.

It Is ME
10  It Is ME    3 weeks ago

That's so cute !

Dan ( We didn’t do it perfectly ) Rather, is trying to become "relevant" again. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif