╌>

IG Reportedly Expected to Clear James Comey, Andrew McCabe of Claims of Bias Against Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  52 comments

IG Reportedly Expected to Clear James Comey, Andrew McCabe of Claims of Bias Against Trump
the report debunks a series of conspiracy theories and insinuations about the F.B.I. that Mr. Trump and his allies have put forward over the past two years

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An Inspector General report long hyped by allies of President  Donald Trump  is reportedly expected to clear FBI officials of allegations of political bias in launching the Trump-Russia investigation.

The New York Times  reported Friday  that investigators for Justice Department Inspector General  Michael Horowitz  made no finding of anti-Trump bias on the part of then-FBI Director  James Comey  and top officials  Peter Strzok  and  Andrew McCabe  in ordering a wiretap on former Trump adviser  Carter Page .

“More broadly, Mr. Horowitz’s report, to be made public on Dec. 9, portrays the overall effort to seek the wiretap order and its renewals as sloppy and unprofessional, according to the people familiar with it. He will also sharply criticize as careless one of the F.B.I. case agents in New York handling the matter, they said.

At the same time, however, the report debunks a series of conspiracy theories and insinuations about the F.B.I. that Mr. Trump and his allies have put forward over the past two years, the people said, though they cautioned that the report is not complete.  The New York Times  has not reviewed the draft, which could contain other significant findings.

In particular, while Mr. Horowitz criticizes F.B.I. leadership for its handling of the highly fraught Russia investigation in some ways, he made no finding of politically biased actions by top officials Mr. Trump has vilified …”

“None of the evidence used to open the investigation came from the C.I.A. or from a notorious dossier of claims about Trump-Russia ties compiled by Christopher Steele, a former British intelligence agent whose research was funded by Democrats, the report concludes, according to the people briefed on it.”

The Washington Post  had reported  earlier this week that a low-level FBI lawyer altered a document connected to the wiretap, but the IG investigation found it did not impact the overall validity of the surveillance application.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
investigators for Justice Department Inspector General  Michael Horowitz  made no finding of anti-Trump bias on the part of then-FBI Director  James Comey  and top officials  Peter Strzok  and  Andrew McCabe  

-

the report debunks a series of conspiracy theories and insinuations about the F.B.I. that Mr. Trump and his allies have put forward over the past two years,

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

R.I.P.  "DEEP STATE"

we hardly knew ye

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

Not to worry John, the next conspiracy theory is right around the corner. 

What makes me mad is that this investigation was based literally on trumps conspiracy theory.....what next? 400 million to find out if windmills cause cancer? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @2.1    5 years ago

Trump went on a crazy rant today about the DNC server and Ukraine

this idiot literally doesnt know what he is talking about

even the Fox and Friends hosts were suggesting he was wrong

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    5 years ago

I thought McCabe was going to be indicted...two months ago!

I suppose the usual suspects will still call it the "Russia Hoax".

George Papadopoulos, Rick Gates, Roger Stone, Mike Flynn, Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort have all been convicted of lying and obstructing justice, are all now convicted felons and are either in prison or going there soon. Giuliani, Mulveney, Perry, Pence and Trump are next....

A Hoax? My Ass! On To Impeachment. And, TRUMP IS TOAST! 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

Don't worry, we'll soon see the knee jerk responses from religious conservatives and Trump fans claiming the IG is now in the pocket of the deep state or some such nonsense. Anyone who refuses to validate their delusion is instantly stripped of their conservative credentials and accused of being a never Trumper. It's one of their most dishonest and despicable traits.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    5 years ago
“More broadly, Mr. Horowitz’s report, to be made public on Dec. 9, portrays the overall effort to seek the wiretap order and its renewals as sloppy and unprofessional, according to the people familiar with it. He will also sharply criticize as careless one of the F.B.I. case agents in New York handling the matter, they said.

There he is: The Boogeyman. Bring him in, 'string' him up and let the republican investigation misadventure continue. Apparently, we are going to need more government  "cheese" to feed this hungry (republican) beast. Trump giveth and he taketh away.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    5 years ago

Proving, again, that the Russia Probe WAS COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
The report also allegedly demolishes conspiracy theories related to the origins of the Russia Investigation and the future Mueller report. The report makes it clear that the FBI had met the threshold for opening the investigation and there was no conspiracy. Another flashpoint was mysterious "Professor", Joseph Mifsud, who was alleged to have damaging intelligence on Hillary Clinton. He was found not to be an FBI informant. That also negates another conspiracy theory thread. The report also shows that none of the evidence used as justification for the opening of the investigation came from any portion of the Steele Dossier or any CIA sources, killing yet another conspiracy theory.

Donald Trump, The Dumb Son (Jr), Hannity, Tucker and Laura Ingraham are losing more talking points by the day. Trump, for his part, seems unwilling to accept that it is over, telling Fox and Friends that the Durham report will be "coming out shortly.” Maybe he is hoping that will present a more favorable view of his whackjob theories?

How long until Trump tweets that IG Horowitz is a secret Never Trumper?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago

Not sure where Barr and Durham go from here. Are they going to contradict the Inspector General of the FBI ? 

Strzok - no wrongdoing. 

McCabe- no wrongdoing. 

Comey- No wrongdoing. 

Mifsud - not an FBI plant. 

Steele Dossier - not used as source for investigation. 

These are all the main "russia hoax" talking points. According to what came out today, according to the NYT , these conspiracy talking points are up in smoke. 

Trump will not stop. I'm sure he will keep going about the deep state. What else does he have? 

JBB
Professor Principal
8  JBB    5 years ago

I notice all the rightwingers are avoiding this article.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JBB @8    5 years ago

I noticed Heartland American is posting some delusional articles of his own. Maybe he will drop by later. 

News reports tonight are indicating a possible scandal involving Devin Nunes meeting with a disgraced former Ukrainian prosecutor, in order to dig up dirt on Biden. 

I think the "conservatives" will probably be avoiding that one too. 

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    5 years ago

Three years into Trump's Follies exactly ZERO ranking Obama campaign or administration officials have ever been indicted for official misconduct. Not One! BUTT, all those closest to Trump are either in prison, going to prison or facing serious criminal charges.

Mike Flynn - First National Security Adviser 

Michael Cohen - Personal Lawyer & Fixer

Paul Manafort - Campaign Manager 

Roger Stone - Trump's Personal Adviser 

Rick Gates - Foreign Policy Adviser 

Rudy Giuliani - Personal Lawyer & Fixer #2 implicated in the whole damn mess. About to take everyone down with him.

Bolton is standing in the wings measuring where his best deal will be counting his book deal $$$...

Mulvaney already knows he will be the fall guy so he has nothing to lose. He is going down with the SS Trumptanic.

Trump must now be impeached and convicted. 

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.3  JBB  replied to    5 years ago

What are you implying? Explain yourself...

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JBB @8.1.3    5 years ago

Good luck with that....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    5 years ago

There's some scandal involving Nunes and prostitutes and cocaine.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JBB @8    5 years ago

It is getting kind of strange that no "conservatives" have addressed this development. 

I guess the game is over. Someone should tell Trump before he keeps making a fool out of himself. . 

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2    5 years ago

I bet they can see pyramids from that river...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago
the writer of the report yet to testify that report?You know that your narrative is just that your narrative it is second hand knowled

well, at least you commented

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.5  JBB  replied to    5 years ago

Maybe you should be shy about always being wrong...

bugsy
Professor Participates
9  bugsy    5 years ago

Normally, in order to list a story as legitimate, other outlets will attempt to confirm the findings before they repeat the report.

Last night when this story first came out, the only outlets that I found that were reporting it besides the NYT was VOX and Daily Beast. This morning there was only one additional publication, Mediaite. So, in a span of more than 15 hours, only 4 outlets out of hundreds or thousands in the country, have reported on this. None of these outlets are anywhere near fans of Trump. They are all far left biased. What this says is no other outlet is able to confirm this story.

What we are probably seeing is the NYT and others that are trying to downplay the results cover their asses for 3 years of constant false reporting by saying the IG report will be a dud.

Now, I know liberals will attack me for this, but it has been claimed that the President has been briefed on the IG report by AG Barr. There is no reason to believe this is not true. I don't think Trump will make the claims he has been making as the report will be totally devastating to democrats and could go all the way to the top if he was not briefed on it. 

JBB
Professor Principal
9.2  JBB  replied to  bugsy @9    5 years ago

Not Really!

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.2.1  bugsy  replied to  JBB @9.2    5 years ago

They and the NYT usually parrot off each other and feed each other stories. Not surprising.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @9.2.1    5 years ago

Prove it. Also, having two different news sources reporting the same thing just makes the case that they are true even more solid. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.2.3  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @9.2.2    5 years ago
having two different news sources reporting the same thing just makes the case that they are true even more solid. 

How many times have the WaPo and NYT had to retract false stories?

Here are just a very few...

Don't forget about your best friend CNN...

Here is a link to various outlets, but look at the ones that were cited the most

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @9    5 years ago

Wait WHAT? 

You actually commented on the Fox News conservative version of this story posted on NT by BF.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.1  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3    5 years ago

Fox only reported that the article was published and they have had many people debunk the story for what it is.

The paper and online outlets that are quoting the NYT are doing so as if the story is fact.

You can stop now. You have failed.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.2  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @9.3.1    5 years ago
Fox only reported that the article was published and they have had many people debunk the story for what it is.

That comment is contradictory Jack. Either they ONLY reported that the article was published OR they debunked it. PICK ONE. 

The Fox version does far more than merely report about an 'article'. It cites multiple sources, cites original Fox News reporting and editorializes. 

The paper and online outlets that are quoting the NYT are doing so as if the story is fact.

The Fox News version site at least 4 sources, including AP, NYT, WaP, Lawfare, the Hill and Fox News itself Jack. You can stop now. You have failed.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.3  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3.2    5 years ago

1...Name's not Jack, so you can stop that BS.

2. I said Fox REPORTED it and there people on there to DEBUNK it. Your flailing that Fox cited other sources does not change the fact that the NYT is the one that originally reported on it, and he rest of them are using the NYT as the source. No one else is independently reporting anything.

3. You can stop with the "holier than thou" attitude you partake on everyone you disagree with. You are rarely, if ever, correct.

As far as failing, here is a little something for you..

18eb20.jpg

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.4  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @9.3.3    5 years ago
Name's not Jack, so you can stop that BS.

My bad. Your comment is contradictory bugs. Have you picked a position? 

No one else is independently reporting anything.

Actually the Fox version cites that WaPo independently confirmed reporting. As I stated, Fox cited independent reporting in their version. 

Why did you fail to cite Fox as reporting the NYT article even though you posted comments on that seed? 

You can stop with the "holier than thou" attitude you partake on everyone you disagree with. 

I could not care less how you feel about my 'attitude' bugs.

As far as failing, here is a little something for you..

Oh look, a meme, how pithy. /s

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.5  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3.4    5 years ago

The fact remains is in the NYT article, they state that they have not seen the draft, s obviously they have not seen the final version. They are going simply by "hearsay". (sound familiar)?

My position is if the reporting is true and the outcome is something I would not like, I would still accept it for what it is.

Will liberals accept the outcome if it is something they don't like, much like they have accepted the results of the 2016 election?s/

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.6  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3.4    5 years ago
Will liberals accept the outcome if it is something they don't like, much like they have accepted the results of the 2016 election?s/

I guess by your silence your answer is obvious. [deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.7  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @9.3.6    5 years ago
I guess by your silence your answer is obvious.

You expect a reply to your sarcasm? 

removed for context

Another comment that merely further devolves to supercilious blathering. 

Please proceed. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
9.3.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Dulay @9.3.7    5 years ago
Another comment that merely further devolves to supercilious blathering

It is how they acknowledge that you won the debate.  They resort to puerile insults.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.9  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3.7    5 years ago

So you want to concentrate on one sentence of the post, but ignore the remaining. Not surprised. I will post it again so you and your little friend that responded to you can understand...

Will liberals accept the results of the IG report, even if it goes the way they don't like?

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.11  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @9.3.9    5 years ago
So you want to concentrate on one sentence of the post, but ignore the remaining. Not surprised. I will post it again so you and your little friend that responded to you can understand... Will liberals accept the results of the IG report, even if it goes the way they don't like?

First of all, you comment proves that it's YOU that's concentrating on one sentence. 

Secondly, I have no fucking clue what liberals will accept. Unlike many here, I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself. 

The issues that the IG is addressing isn't a hill I'm willing to die on so I can't help but wonder WTF it matters what I 'would accept' since there isn't a fucking thing I could do about it. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.12  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3.11    5 years ago

Wow...Triggered much?

If you can't answer a simple question without vulgarity, then just don't.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.13  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @9.3.12    5 years ago
Wow...Triggered much?

Projection. 

If you can't answer a simple question without vulgarity, then just don't.

If you have an issue with adult language, you're on the wrong forum. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.14  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3.13    5 years ago

Not projecting...truth telling.

I spent 20 years in the Navy hearing all kinds of things. What I realized is that those that need to use vulgarity to get a point across have low self esteem.

That is still true today.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.3.15  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @9.3.14    5 years ago
What I realized is that those that need to use vulgarity to get a point across have low self esteem.

You know what the say about opinions and ass holes.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.3.16  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @9.3.15    5 years ago
You know what the say about opinions and ass holes.

Yep, I, like everybody else, have one of each. Difference is most of my opinions are normally rooted in fact.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
  Mr. Horowitz's report, to be made public on Dec. 9, portrays the overall effort to seek the wiretap order and its renewals as sloppy and unprofessional, according to the people familiar with it. He will also sharply   criticize   as careless one of the   F.B.I . case agents in New York handling the matter and say that the bureau and the Justice Department displayed poor coordination during the investigation, they said.

At the same time, however, the report debunks a series of conspiracy theories and insinuations about the   F.B.I . that Mr. Trump and his allies have put forward over the past two years, the people said, though they cautioned that the report is not complete. The New York Times has not reviewed the draft, which could contain other significant findings.

In particular, while Mr. Horowitz criticizes F.B.I . leadership for its handling of the highly fraught Russia investigation in some ways, he made no finding of politically biased actions by top officials Mr. Trump has vilified like the former F.B.I . director James B. Comey; Andrew G. McCabe, the former deputy who temporarily ran the bureau after the president fired Mr. Comey in 2017; and Peter Strzok, a former top counterintelligence agent.

We have been told for two years that Comey, McCabe and Strzok, among others, were going to go to prison for manufacturing a "fake" investigation into Trump and Russia. 

Apparently, the official Inspector General inquiry into this has concluded that there was no bias against Trump shown in the way the investigation was run.  Can the "right" , with its endless parade of conspiracy theories, come to terms with this? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
10.1  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @10    5 years ago
The New York Times has not reviewed the draft, which could contain other significant findings.

From your cut and paste. Now, who are these "sources"?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @10.1    5 years ago

From your cut and paste. Now, who are these "sources"?

The same ones trump used in Hawaii, and the right wing believed them. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
10.1.2  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @10.1.1    5 years ago

Nice deflection and nothing to do with the post or seed. Try again.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @10.1.2    5 years ago
Nice deflection and nothing to do with the post or seed. Try again. 

Sounds like he is preparing more sound bites for when the impeachment effort fails.

What else can it be?