╌>

Venice fears exodus of residents after latest flood

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   Saphora Smith and Yuliya Talmazan

Venice fears exodus of residents after latest flood
Inhabitants are used to seasonal deluges but were not prepared for recent onslaughts, which plunged more than 80 percent of the city under water.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Venetians’ frustration quickly turned into anger last week over the long delays in building a sea barrier to defend the city — still not completed more than 50 years after the government asked engineers to draw up plans.
"I have no faith in local or national governments to change anything," said Pier Giorgio Vedovato, 43, who owns a watch dealership in the city. "The Mose investment was a waste of billions through corruption and mismanagement," he added, referring to the sea barrier project."

That Barrier Gate system has major problems , due to corruption, corrosion and structural failures. There was a big "Engineering" type TV show about it a year or so ago, with "Engineers", saying it was doomed to fail before it ever began.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @1    5 years ago

Thanks for that link. It was very informative. 

It is shocking that the Italians are not being proactive about this jewel of Italy, but not surprising. My daughter's boyfriend is Italian and he says the gov is very lame and a mess. 

Hence why he is here.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago

From other issues I've read about, by the time they finish it, if they do, they'll be having to replace what's already built and set by then.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie:

In Holland, where the entire nation is below sea level their system works very well.

The problem seems not to be government in general.

This particular one isn't doing their job well. 

P&AB.

Enoch, Going Gondola.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @2    5 years ago

Dear Enoch,

After reading "it is me's" link, I can see why this is happening and you are right. It is the government. How sad for the Italian people. 

Is there room in your gondola?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: For you, It Is ME, and all other News Talkers, yes.

Always room for one more.

P&AB.

Enoch, Doing What Floats My Boat.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The seeded video was very interesting.