╌>

Lindsey Graham says he blocked a Senate resolution recognizing the Armenian genocide because the White House didn't want to anger Turkey

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   Jonathan Swan, Axios

Lindsey Graham says he blocked a Senate resolution recognizing the Armenian genocide because the White House didn't want to anger Turkey
Many were perplexed and outraged when, right after clashing with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in a heated Oval Office meeting on Nov. 13, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham hurried back to the Senate floor and did something that likely delighted Erdoğan.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan answers questions during a joint news conference with U.S. President Donald Trump at the White House in Washington, U.S., November 13, 2019.  REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

Many were perplexed and  outraged  when, right after clashing with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in a heated Oval Office meeting on Nov. 13, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham hurried back to the Senate floor and did something that likely delighted Erdoğan. Graham blocked a resolution that would have formally recognized Turkey's genocide of the Armenian people.

Behind the scenes:  Graham had just scolded Erdoğan over his invasion of Syria and attacks on the Kurds, according to sources in the room.

• As we reported at the time , Erdogan pulled out his iPad and showed the Oval Office group a propaganda video depicting the leader of the primarily Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces as a terrorist.
    • The South Carolina Republican then chided him over the clip. "Well, do you want me to go get the Kurds to make one about what you've done?" he said.

What happened next, which has not been previously reported:  As Graham was leaving the Oval Office, senior White House staff asked him to return to the Senate and block the Armenian genocide resolution — a measure that would have infuriated Erdoğan.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

"I'm not going to object next time," Graham added.

The "next time" happened last week. Menendez and his Republican Senate colleague Ted Cruz introduced the Armenian genocide resolution again. This time, the White House asked another Republican Senate ally, David Perdue, to block it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

They should be ashamed of themselves.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

Sounds like to many republican Trump allies and not enough red blooded American patriots.

Is Putin's propaganda really that effective?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The big pictureThe Trump administration is pushing Turkey to give up its Russian-made S-400 air defense system. While they're negotiating, they're trying to block Congress from calling out Turkey's human rights atrocities.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

Turkey give up its Russian S-400 air defense system?  Why? 

Better question would be why was Erdogan at the WH in the first place? 

American betrayal of the Kurds already old news?

Is all of this a feint for Putin's Russia?

Something stinks and Trump is the root of it all.

The Armenian Resolution will mean nothing. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1    5 years ago

So far it looks like the "master-negotiator"Trump will be no more successful in getting Turkey to give up the Russian air defense system then he was in getting the North Koreans to give up their nukes.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    5 years ago

In fact our Turkish "ally" is apparently testing the Russian anti-aircraft systems against American aircraft!

Ankara Defies Washington Over Russian Missiles

Turkish F-16 jets flew low Monday across the Turkish capital, in a two-day exercise reportedly to test the radar system newly acquired Russian S-400 missile system.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1    5 years ago

Well, in any event it won't mean much is Congress doesn'r pass it...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1    5 years ago

Why would they? Turkey is having their cake and eating it too. They are getting perks from both sides. If one pisses them off they can always threaten to flip to the other to get back into good graces.

Better question would be why was Erdogan at the WH in the first place? 

Let me see. Turkey is a member of NATO. They are a supposed ally. The US has military personnel and bases in Turkey. The US has to work closely with Turkey since for whatever stupid reason we are still in Syria. The US doesn't want Turkey getting closer to Russia, so we are trying to mend bridges.

American betrayal of the Kurds already old news?

We weren't in Syria for the Kurds. Obama put US troops illegally in Syria to fight ISIS/ISIL. ISIS/ISIL is no longer a military force in Syria. Our reason for being there is gone. The Syrians have requested that our troops depart repeatedly. If they are attacked we do not have any means of protecting them; and per the Iraqi government they cannot withdraw into their territory. Blame Obama for putting US troops into Syria with no exit strategy. Blame Trump for being too weak to defy the State Department, Lack of Intelligence Agencies, and Pentagon to get them out.

Is all of this a feint for Putin's Russia?

The left sees Russians everywhere. Seek help.

Something stinks and Trump is the root of it all.

I am adding two more D's to TDDS. The left has lost it to the point it needs them. Trump Derangement Dementia Deaf & Dumb Syndrome. It will be hard to add another D; but keep pushing- we can come up with one.

It means nothing even when passed. It happened over 100 years ago. The time to do something was when it was happening. The timing of this Resolution is meant to make Trump's negotiations even harder with Turkey. Funny, the Dems had a full 8 years of Obama; but not a peep on this Resolution. Seems that keeping Turkey happy mattered more when Obama was in charge.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    5 years ago

I am more inclined to believe the Turkish/Russian 'new alliance' may have been one of the issues discussed at Helsinki.  To many things about Trump does not add up.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.1.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.4    5 years ago

Think you pretty well covered things.. It is sad, but true; Erdogan is benefiting from burning the candles at both ends.

Russia and Turkey for decades has had some form of relationship .. the 'civil war' in Syria made the 2 nations, thus the leaders of said nations strategic partners.   What is happening has nothing to do with Turkey .. it has to do with Erdogan and his 'prime real estate' that is Turkey.  Erdogan is the 'Sultan' of Turkey, he has only just begun his double dealing reign of terror in the region (the US has always ignored Turkey's disdain of the Kurds . the list of ignored things is rather long)  So has his reign of terror on the people of Turkey only just begun (he proved that after the 'supposed' coup attempt)

You just have to go with the flow Ronin2 .. Things will always be about Russia and Trump .. I am confused.. is Trump an idiot, or is he an evil genius...?   As a woman, my observation is that he is a puke..

This is interesting:

It has been 100 years since the mass killings of Armenians at the hands of the Ottoman Empire, but the Turkish government has been reluctant to admit its role in the genocide. In order to maintain good diplomatic relations with Turkey, the U.S. government has generally shied away from acknowledging the genocide as well. The last president who referred to the killings of Armenians as genocide, which killed at least 1 million people, was Ronald Reagan.

Successive presidents have campaigned on recognizing the Armenian genocide but then recanted once they reached office. As a senator, Joe Biden was an advocate of labeling the killings a genocide. But as vice president, Biden adhered to the Obama administration's policy of not recognizing it. Now, the Democratic frontrunner is one again calling on the House and Senate to recognize the atrocity. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

The US Congress has had over 100 years to condemn this genocide; but they decide to do so now. Great timing./S

Any administration would have done the same requesting Congress to delay the resolution.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Graham blocked a resolution that would have formally recognized Turkey's genocide of the Armenian people."

Genocide, and the Genocide of the Armenian people has been formally recognized since the 1915's ( read the resolution ). Why do we need another Formal Resolution ? jrSmiley_22_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
Why do we need another Formal Resolution ?

Welll...member: an American Election will be coming up.....