Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  48 comments

By:   By Doha Madani and Amanda Terkel

The First 2 Congressmen To Endorse Trump Have Been Indicted

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

POLITICS  
08/21/2018 09:54 pm ET

The First 2 Congressmen To Endorse Trump Have Been Indicted

Reps. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) and Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) are now in hot water over allegations of insider trading and campaign finance violations.

By Doha Madani and Amanda Terkel

The first two members of Congress to publicly support Donald Trump for president have been indicted, and the three men who were next in line to back him have weathered significant scandals.

Reps. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) and  Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) threw their support behind Trump in February 2016 , back when much of the GOP establishment was staying far away from the real estate mogul and long before it was clear that Trump was going to win the nomination.

But this month the scandals plaguing the two Trump backers caught up with them. On Aug. 8, the FBI arrested Collins, who was accused of  insider trading , and on Tuesday, a grand jury indicted Hunter and his wife on charges of  improperly using campaign funds .

Collins initially planned to fight the charges as he ran for re-election, but he eventually decided to suspend his campaign as he and his son face charges of securities fraud in connection with a pharmaceutical company. The Republican congressman is accused of sharing private information with son Cameron Collins in order to sell shares before the public announcement of a drug trial failure that led the company’s stock to fall 92 percent.

Hunter and his wife were indicted by a grand jury in San Diego on Tuesday on charges of filing false campaign finance records . The couple is accused of using more than $250,000 in campaign funds to pay for personal expenses, such as their children’s school tuition, restaurant outings and shopping mall purchases.

The five-term congressman repaid $60,000 to his campaign earlier this year for inappropriate expenses in 2015, but an FBI investigation looked at expenditures dating back as far as 2009.

The next three members of Congress to back Trump have had issues of their own.

Jeff Sessions gave a significant boost of establishment credibility to Trump’s campaign when, as a U.S. senator from Alabama, he endorsed him in the GOP primary. Sessions, who is now attorney general, had to recuse himself from special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election after questions emerged about his interactions with Russian officials during the Trump presidential campaign. 

Reps. Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.) and Tom Marino (R-Pa.) were the fourth and fifth members of Congress to publicly back Trump. HuffPost broke the story in 2012 that, although DesJarlais, a physician, presented himself as anti-abortion and pro-family, he pressured his mistress ― who was also his patient ― to get an abortion .

In 2017, Marino withdrew from consideration as Trump’s drug czar after an investigation found that he sponsored legislation that made it harder for the Drug Enforcement Agency to battle the opioid epidemic.

On Tuesday, the same day that the indictment against Hunter came down, Trump’s former campaign chairman was found guilty on eight counts that included tax fraud , while the president’s longtime fixer and personal attorney pleaded guilty to illegally interfering in the presidential election. He made clear that he did so at the direction of Trump.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

The first two members of Congress to publicly support Donald Trump for president have been indicted, and the three men who were next in line to back him have weathered significant scandals.

Reps. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) and  Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) threw their support behind Trump in February 2016 , back when much of the GOP establishment was staying far away from the real estate mogul and long before it was clear that Trump was going to win the nomination.

But this month the scandals plaguing the two Trump backers caught up with them. On Aug. 8, the FBI arrested Collins, who was accused of  insider trading , and on Tuesday, a grand jury indicted Hunter and his wife on charges of  improperly using campaign funds .

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
improperly using campaign funds   .

Lots of that going around, Tessy. Nunes used taxpayer funds to fly to the Ukraine to get dirt on the Biden's. Which is illegal.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    5 years ago

I seem to recall Hunter and his wife throwing each other under the bus.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

POLITICS   

08/21/2018 09:54 pm ET           

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.3  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

Trump has spent his whole life lying with dogs. He is owned by the NY Mafia. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @1.3    5 years ago

Not to mention the old KGB. Trump has many ghosts that haunt him. Blackmail.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @1.3    5 years ago

Now he is owned by the Russian mob.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    5 years ago

Slightly off topic but....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

Hmmmm, did he kill himself or was it something more nefarious?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    5 years ago

Good question. Donny's little buddy Putin has had a lot of enemies snuffed to shut them up. I wouldn't put it past trump to do the same thing. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.1    5 years ago

Do you have some kind of proof that it was because he signed off on the loan to Trump that he killed himself or was that a click bait headline where the two are not related?  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.1    5 years ago

How the fuck was that a violation? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    5 years ago

Do you have some kind of proof that it wasn't? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.1    5 years ago

Seriously, I see comments on here all the time about how the clintons have murdered what, 40 people? Never gets removed, but I post that I wouldn't put it past trump to do what putin does and it's deleted? What a fucking joke. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

You need to post a piece about that Mr. F.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    5 years ago

It would just get a lot of trolls [tessy    delete]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.1    5 years ago

I understand.  Most stuff I post gets over run by trolls.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

Was there a point you are trying to make with a one year, three month and six days or 15+ month old article?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3    5 years ago

Shoo, scoot, move along now.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    5 years ago

Why?  You impose your presence on my seeds with a few word zinger or emotions only replies and you want me to leave yours?  So why seed a fifteen month old article as current news for click bait?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.1    5 years ago

Thanks for commenting and keeping this on top

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    5 years ago

Ditto

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.3    5 years ago

Pretty sure that an employee of the Heartland Institute won't be moving along anytime soon.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2  It Is ME  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3    5 years ago

People do themselves wrong....but Blame Trump for it ? jrSmiley_38_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.1    5 years ago
Can't you read? 

I can jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif .... I swear ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

The "Personal' issues of others, has nothing to do with President Trump !

"Hamas" (before they didn't), Rev. (Racist) Wright, Rev. (Racist, Raper and tax evader) Sharpton and Bill ( Bomber) Ayers endorsed Obama.

Big friggin Deal !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.2.2    5 years ago

That's not relevant to this.

Nothing you say is usually relevant on my seeds.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.4  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.3    5 years ago
That's not relevant to this.

Sure is.

Goose Gander and all that Rot !

Would you like it better if I said ….. tRump sucks Butt ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.2.4    5 years ago

No it is not.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.6  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.5    5 years ago
No it is not.

Which of what I posted are you referring to ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.5    5 years ago

Actually it is.  

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.8  lib50  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.7    5 years ago

Do you remember how conservatives kept their conspiracy theories going about Vince Foster and Epstein (including Trump)?  Remember Seth Rich? 

Just imagine, THESE crimes by the gop are actually being indicted. Of course, the gop are on board with Trump's crimes and corruption because its their MO too! 

Next time you pass on lies and propaganda, think about that proof you want first.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.7    5 years ago

No it's not

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.11  XXJefferson51  replied to    5 years ago

thats for sure.  It wasn’t relevant 15 months ago when it was first reported.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3    5 years ago
one year, three month and six days or 15+ month old article

... says the person that seeds 2000+ year old religious anecdotes, myths, and fables on a regular basis.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.3.1  MrFrost  replied to  devangelical @3.3    5 years ago

And brings up Clinton over and over again.. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @3.3.1    5 years ago

Hillary or Bill? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.3.3  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.3.2    5 years ago
Hillary or Bill? 

Yes. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.4  SteevieGee  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3    5 years ago
Was there a point you are trying to make with a one year, three month and six days or 15+ month old article?

Unlike all the old articles that are repeatedly posted about the Clintons this one is still true.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

At this rate, Trump will have lots of choices for cell mates.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

Chris Collins is an asshole of the highest order.  

freepress
Freshman Silent
6  freepress    5 years ago

Kinda blows up the idea of hiring or associating with "the best people". If you look at Trump's cabinet, appointees, campaign associates, lawyers and donors; there has never been a more corrupt crew in history.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  freepress @6    5 years ago

[Removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago
U.S.

Duncan Hunter To Plead Guilty In Campaign Finance Case He Called 'Witch Hunt'

710c91c0-4b9c-11e7-8912-374be9390b1b_H-1-.png.cf.jpg Ryan J. Reilly,HuffPost 46 minutes ago 

5de55d512500004f19d2ee21.jpeg

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) appears poised to plead guilty to federal campaign finance charges on Tuesday morning after more than a year of claiming the federal investigation into his spending habits was a “witch hunt.”

The court docket in Hunter’s case indicated on Monday that Hunter has a change of plea hearing set for Tuesday morning, as first reported by The San Diego Union-Tribune. He’ll appear before U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Whelan, according to the notification. 

Hunter was indicted in August 2018. Months later, he won reelection after launching false, racist attacks against his opponent, who was of Palestinian and Latino descent. 

Hunter’s wife previously pleaded guilty in the campaign finance scheme, admitting that the couple used campaign funds for a wide variety of family expenses, including flying their pet rabbit around. Hunter also used campaign money to fund extramarital affairs, according to federal prosecutors. 

Hunter was one of President Donald Trump’s earliest supporters, and Trump lashed out at former Attorney General Jeff Sessions for allowing Hunter and fellow Trump supporter former Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) to be indicted. Collins pleaded guilty to insider trading in October.

Hunter’s trial had been set to take place early next year.

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

Now Trump, the coward that he is doesn't want to come and defend himself at the hearings.  Why?  Because he knows he would be so busted.  I wonder if that yellow steak down his back clashes with his fake orange tan.