Motorcycle enthusiast sets Guinness World Record

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Yuan Hui and Zhang Li

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

5ddd094ca310cf3e97a88569.jpeg

Motorcycle enthusiast D. Gonchigsuren sets a new world record by ascending Bilutu Peak, the highest point of the Badain Jaran Desert in North China's Inner Mongolia autonomous region, in 2 minutes and 11 seconds. [Photo by Bao Yunfeng for chinadaily.com.cn]

A new Guinness world record for the fastest time to ascend a sand dune on a motorcycle was achieved by D.Gonchigsuren in the Badain Jaran Desert located in the Alxa Right banner of the Inner Mongolia autonomous region on Monday.

Gonchigsuren, the new record holder, ascended Bilutu Peak, the highest point in the desert and the third-tallest dune in the world with a height of 589 meters, in 2 minutes and 11 seconds.

Before this record-breaking journey, the fastest time was 6 minutes and 2 seconds.

5ddd094ca310cf3e97a8856b.jpeg

D.Gonchigsuren ascends Bilutu Peak, the highest point of the Badain Jaran Desert in North China's Inner Mongolia autonomous region, on his motorcycle. [Photo by Bao Yunfeng for chinadaily.com.cn]

5ddd094ca310cf3e97a8856d.jpeg

[Photo by Bao Yunfeng for chinadaily.com.cn]

5ddd094ca310cf3e97a8856f.jpeg

Motorcycle enthusiast D. Gonchigsuren sets a new world record by ascending Bilutu Peak, the highest point of the Badain Jaran Desert in North China's Inner Mongolia autonomous region, in 2 minutes and 11 seconds. [Photo by Bao Yunfeng for chinadaily.com.cn]

5ddd094ca310cf3e97a88571.jpeg

5ddd094ca310cf3e97a88573.jpeg

5ddd094ca310cf3e97a88575.jpeg

Motorcycle enthusiast D.Gonchigsuren is awarded a Guinness World Record certificate in North China's Inner Mongolia autonomous region. [Photo by Na Meila for chinadaily.com.cn]

`

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Since there seems to be a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts here, I thought they might be interested in seeing this.  Has anyone here tried to do that?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

That is one hell of a feat, Kudos to D.Gonchigsuren.

I've never done it with a motorcycle but have in what is called a ''rail'' on the Oregon dunes.

dunebuggy-racing-on-sand-dunes-of-oregon

Here is a great link to the greatest sand dunes in the world with photos. 

Both the Oregon dunes and dunes in Inner Mongolia are listed. 

Check out number 10. It's in Canada and I've never heard much about it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

I never heard about the ones in Saskatchewan either.  I'm trying hard to remember because it was so long ago, but I think the only dunes I've ever seen were in Cape Cod, but I could be wrong about that. I don't remember if I saw dunes in Morocco, while travelling by bus from Tangiers to Tetuan.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

The White Sands National Park is a beautiful place to visit, relax and view.  In 1943, Dad completed his Artillery training here, then in 2008, I got stationed at Holloman AFB, right next to the dunes.  Drove Hwy 70 from Las Cruces to Holloman, 62 miles, every day and got to watch the dunes slowly taking over the right-of-way.  The Corps of Engineers would come out with the heavy duty equipment and push the sands back at least once a year.  Interesting sight.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @2.2    5 years ago
The White Sands National Park is a beautiful place to visit, relax and view. 

It surely is. I've been there a couple of times. Red had to go to Sorocco NM a couple of times on business and I go over on the weekend to see her.