╌>

These are the people that you should be thanking for the bounty that you have.

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  5 years ago  •  25 comments

These are the people that you should be thanking for the bounty that you have.

On this holiday Americans celebrate many things, family, friends and the good things in their lives. 

This how the Kavika family spent Thanksgiving.

We had dinner at our house. Our guests were my brother in law (retired 24 years Army Infantry) sister in law (retired 20 years Army signal corp). Our neighbors, Jerry and Elaine (Jerry Army vet) and another neighbor Kate (her husband was 24 years Army) and had walked on last year. All had seen extensive combat and there are a few Purple Hearts among us. 

The phone rang and it was my BIL/SIL grandson calling from Lakeland AFB in Texas. Earlier in the day my son (disabled Marine) called and my great-grandson called from Australia (Special Air Services, Australian special forces) phoned. It reminded us as it always does that many of our fellow Americans are out there today/tonight. Scattered across the U.S. and the world. Each doing their job while we are able to be home with friends and family. 

Glasses were raised and a toast to ''missing comrades'' was made. 

For the last 200 plus years, we have been able to celebrate because they are out there, on the line. Some as we speak are outside the wire.

A toast to our military members who are holding the line. 

A salute to you.

2a6067939a9e401f97c83f241b52ca3a.jpg

ArmedForcesFlag3.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     5 years ago

I'd love to be able to share a Thanksgiving dinner with my old squad. 

Unfortunately, I'm the last Indian standing of our squad. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago

It is a shame that so very many tend to forget, or perhaps even ignore, those who have given that more precious of all things, their life, for their country. 

The men and women from all walks of life have dedicated their life to save and protect their country, and those who share it, without regards as to the color of their skin, religious beliefs, ethnic background, and gender. Without their selfless sacrifices America could not have developed into the would leader it has become. 

All gave some. Some gave all. And we will never forget those who stood with us against our enemies to secure America's future for those who will follow us in the generations to come.

We are all one.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.2  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: Super and very important timely article.

I hear you.

Last of mine left too.

Good people all.

Never shirked duty.

Never stood down.

Never ducked a challenge, however dangerous or difficult. 

Those  who serve are the best of us.

I am grateful to have served with them.

Lessons learned from them stick with me all my days.

P&AB.

Enoch.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Semper Fi to all and may the rest of your year be bountiful.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @2    5 years ago

Amen 1st. Did my share for 20 years that included time n SE Asia, on board ship, and at McMurdo Station Antarctica. Missed a lot of holidays, but I don't regret a one, well maybe except the Vietnam one. My utmost thanks and respect goes out all vets both present and past that have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice on behalf of out great nation. This old broken down sailor salutes you all, and to those serving now, I pray you all come safely to your families and loved ones. Hope all had a Great Thanksgiving, and as the good man said above, Semper Fi to all!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    5 years ago

Thank you for your service also Doc.  Yeah, that 'Nam thingy was a funny one.  In '66, we got SPAM - the meal of Champions, baked beans, instant mashed potatoes from the box, and kool-aid.  In '67, we actually got turkey, cranberry sauce, baked beans, real mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, chocolate cake and REAL milk.  We even had some one-star from Saigon travel up to give us Holiday Cheer.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  cjcold  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.1    5 years ago

Sounds like you had a good scrounger.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.1    5 years ago

I was lucky to get dinner on the LPH I was flying off of. Still would have much ppreferred to be at home.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    5 years ago

A bit of personal history Doc and 1st. 

I belong to a very special and select club. We named it the 7-11 club. 11 went in and 4 came out. Of those four I'm the last Indian standing. Every November the four of us would get together and spend a few days together and toast to our missing comrades. 

My last buddy walked on a few years back. A hell of a guy. A Creole from LA. 

For the past few years, its a meeting of one and I toast to them all. It's the only time of the year that I drink alcohol. 

This year seemed to be especially rough. Getting really old I guess. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.5  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @2.1.4    5 years ago

No, not getting old - just getting more experienced.

Kavika - your brothers will always be with you and they will be protecting you.

A toast to you my nijii.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.6  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.5    5 years ago

chi miigwetch niijii

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @2.1.4    5 years ago

I hear you and understand brother. My thanks for sharing that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.8  author  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.7    5 years ago

Thanks Doc.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

All of our veterans and current active and reserves and National Guard all deserve our gratitude, thanks, and respect.  All Americans myself included thank all who have, are and will serve(d) for their sacrifice in defense of our freedom and independence.  I hope we soon see that 6th symbol for the Space Force as I think space will play a pivotal role in our physical and economic security in the near future. To all in service and who have served, thanks for all that you did/do.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4  1stwarrior    5 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  1stwarrior @4    5 years ago

He got actual food!!!!!?????

We always got MRE's. I always traded for the ham slice. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  MrFrost @4.1    5 years ago

MRE's were before our time.  We just had the "K" rations.  I always swapped my "beef stew" for someone's ham or, ugh, spam.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  1stwarrior @4.1.1    5 years ago

I've always liked spam, even right out of the can is fine. It's a very rare meat...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.2    5 years ago

Now that's funny! During my days in the field, MRE's had not been invented yet. We had K and C rats. I grew fond of spam but hated the Lima beans and the fruit cake!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.3    5 years ago

"K" rats Fruitcake - the weapon of choice.  Man, we used to have contests as to who could throw it the furtherest and do the most damage to a tent wall.

Ahhh - memories.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.5  author  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.3    5 years ago

Good old Spam....It's also known as ''Ojibwe Steak''....jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @4.1.4    5 years ago

I threw plenty of it out the door of Marine  Hueys I crewed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.7  author  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @4.1.5    5 years ago

1b1e93069505afde10fb71404bfaccc7.jpeg

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @4.1.4    5 years ago

About the only good thing about the fruitcake is if something like the ham and eggs or lime beans gave you the runs, the fruitcake could be used to stop you up!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  author  Kavika     5 years ago

92da603736cf121aa1a7315fed598e34.jpg