╌>

'Grey's Anatomy' episode on sexual assault led to increase in hotline calls

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   Janelle Griffith

'Grey's Anatomy' episode on sexual assault led to increase in hotline calls
Telephone calls to the RAINN sexual assault hotline were up 43 percent in the 48 hours after an episode that dealt with rape.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A “Grey’s Anatomy” episode that centered on consent and sexual assault led to an increase in hotline calls after it aired in March,   according to a new study .

The episode   focused on the victim of a brutal rape   and featured an in-depth depiction of how a rape kit is administered. It ended with Ellen Pompeo, who plays title character Dr. Meredith Grey, informing viewers of how to get in touch with the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN).

A study published Monday by JAMA Internal Medicine, conducted by researchers at the Oklahoma State University using Google Trends and data provided by RAINN, found that the episode led to an increase in awareness of RAINN and resources for sexual assault victims.

The study said that inquiries for the term "RAINN" increased 41 percent and searches for the word "rape" were up 8 percent in the days after the episode aired.

Tweets mentioning the RAINN Twitter account and the words “sexual assault hotline” increased by more than 1,000 percent the day after the episode was released, the study says.

Telephone calls to the RAINN sexual assault hotline were also up 43 percent in the 48 hours after the episode.

Showrunner Krista Vernoff   told the Hollywood Reporter   she was inspired to make an episode about consent and rape after watching   Christine Blasey Ford's testimony   against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

"She got up and told her truth and a lot of pundits questioned whether she knew what she was talking about or if she could be believed or remember the face of someone who attacked her years ago," Vernoff said. "It was a pretty powerful moment to watch all of that."

The episode, "Silent All These Years," was also informed by writer Elisabeth Finch's visit to UCLA's Rape Treatment Center, where she observed how rape kits are administered, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

“Increasing accurate portrayals of sexual assault in the media, coupled with increased awareness of organizations similar to RAINN, may positively affect public health," the study said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I have to say that I found this a little surprising. I watched this episode, and I watch Law & Order SVU, and I am not sure why this episode of Grey's would trigger a bigger response than SVU?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Good question. 

Even so, whatever gets people the help they need is a virtue.

"Gold is where you find it".

P&AB.

Enoch.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.2  Larry Hampton  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

I have been involved in the collection of specimens for maybe a hundred or so Rape kit exams in ERs. Imagine the horror and trauma of being raped juxtaposed against the clinical collection of physical evidence left on and in your body. No matter how good a doctor is, that is a very tough deal to go through. I can guess that that crucial trauma, and of seeing the depiction of a rape kit administered would be tough as well.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.2    5 years ago

I totally agree Larry. But I don't still understand why Grey's would produces such a reaction, while they show this on SVU every week?

Maybe a different kind of viewer?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    5 years ago
I totally agree Larry. But I don't still understand why Grey's would produces such a reaction, while they show this on SVU every week? Maybe a different kind of viewer?

I'm guessing the group of Grey's Anatomy viewers and the group of Hallmark Channel Christmas movie viewers have a very significant overlap.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.3  cjcold  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Used to offer free lady defense classes back in the day when I ran a dojo/kwoon. 

Many ladies wanted to talk about what led them to my school. 

I had no idea that guys could be so evil to women.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

calls went up 43 %

tweets went up 1000%

what were they before , that is what you need to know.  a 43 % increase in a small number may not mean much. a 43% increase in a sizable number could be noteworthy. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

I didn't realize this show was still on the air. I never watch it but I do watch the SVU.

I wonder if depicting a rape kit kinda scared some people.