West Virginia prison employees are suspended after guard trainees are photographed doing Nazi salutes in their official group photo

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  8 months ago  •  35 comments

West Virginia prison employees are suspended after guard trainees are photographed doing Nazi salutes in their official group photo

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Corrections officials were suspended amid an investigation into a photo taken of a trainee class giving a Nazi salute

The image includes the words, 'Hail BYRD', a reference to the group's training instructor and all faces of those pictured are blurred  

Jeff S. Sandy, the cabinet secretary for the state's Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, which released the photo, has condemned the image

Several employees have been suspended and Division of Corrections Commissioner Betsy Jividen has ordered all copies of the photo be destroyed

21891104-7762377-image-a-65_157560140835

Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety Director Jeff Sandy sent a letter to all employees condemning the image, while Governor Jim Justice called for all who were involved to be fired.

21891124-7762377-image-a-31_157561841523

Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety Director Jeff Sandy sent a letter to all employees condemning the image

An investigation is now underway, state officials said. 

The state released the image after a public records request was made, reports the  Charleston Gazette-Mail .

'It is distasteful, hurtful, disturbing, highly insensitive, and completely inappropriate', Sandy wrote in the letter sent to employees.

'It undermines the high standards that have been set for our Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation. It betrays the professionalism I have seen time and time again displayed and practiced by our brave correctional employees'.

The image comes after the department has faced heightened legal and public scrutiny, reports the Gazette-Mail. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    8 months ago

I know some will ask what's the big deal, they are just having fun. 

Besides their "hail" chant may be referencing Caesar, right? 

sandy-2021492
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    8 months ago

Nope, it was their training instructor.

Trout Giggles
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    8 months ago
Nope, it was their training instructor.

Now don't you feel silly. Guess you didn't read the article....again

sandy-2021492
2  sandy-2021492    8 months ago

This is not the WV I grew up in.  I hate to see how it's changed.

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    8 months ago
This is not the WV I grew up in.  I hate to see how it's changed.

So you were around when your very own KKK Grand Wizard represented West Virginia in the US Senate?

JohnRussell
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    8 months ago

XDM , your comments about Sen Byrd are off topic.  The article specifically states it refers to their instructor. 

Any more Sen Byrds will be removed. 

sandy-2021492
2.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    8 months ago

By the time I was born, Robert Byrd had left and renounced the KKK.

Some people change for the better.

And some people (and places) change for the worse.

XDm9mm
2.1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    8 months ago
XDM , your comments about Sen Byrd are off topic.  The article specifically states it refers to their instructor.

And yet YOU mention Caesar.  Can you spell H Y P O C R I T E ?

JohnRussell
2.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.3    8 months ago

Quit while you are behind. 

MUVA
2.1.5  MUVA  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    8 months ago

I would say knowing the past of the state and how racist it was  and who it’s racist leaders were is relevant.

Enoch
2.1.7  Enoch  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    8 months ago

Dear Friend Sandy: This is by no means a representative sample of anything.

It is just a set of personal experiences I had in 1956-57 in St. Albans, West VA.

One of my friends when we were undergraduates in Lexington, KY invited me to his home outside of Charleston South Charleston West Virginia on spring break vacation.

His parents and younger brother were fantastic hosts.

His Dad, his brother Pat (my friend) and I used to play basketball in their driveway before we had a home made lunch his Mom made for us. 

Shooting hoops is what guys do.

Creating food fit for a King is what his Mom did so well.

Pat and I double dated at the Civic Center in Charleston with his High School girl friend who stayed local, and her best friend.

We went to rock and Roll Concerts.

Pat and I also attended regional High School basketball games at the school from which he graduated.

Most people with whom I interacted didn't notice or care that I am a practicing Torah True Jewish person.

Some had tons of questions, because they correctly construed that they could become better at practicing Christianity if they knew more about their spiritual roots.

Some kept their distance.

There were a very tiny group who felt the need to mouth off.

West Virginia served "near beer" (a lower alcohol, much lower taste version of the brewers art).

One afternoon Pat and I met with some of the class mates of his who stayed local, or came home on vacation from where they attended college.

Most at the tavern ("near bar") kept to themselves.

A few of the less sober and more deranged came over to our table to start trouble.

To their credit, when I took on three of the trouble makers they joined in the fray as a donnybrook ensued.

When the local constabulary arrived it was drunken bigots 0 and us guys who just came to suck suds and play the juke box 15.

As the bar keep told them the narrative, the police placed under arrest the fight starters.

Before they left they told the bar tender to serve us a round, and bill the local precinct. 

In other words, like every where else I have gone in my this life travels, some are nice, others dirt; and most just trying to keep their heads above water.

West (By G-d) Virginia.

Good place, good people (mostly) good times.

Enoch (Too old even for "near beer").

sandy-2021492
2.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Enoch @2.1.7    8 months ago

I'm glad you had a good experience, there, Enoch.  I've been to that Civic Center many times.  There's a mall across the street from it that wasn't there in the 50s, and it used to be one of the best shopping malls I've ever visited in any state.  A school field trip to the Civic Center always included a side trip to the mall for lunch, even though most of us were there pretty often anyway, as my county had little in the way of shopping.

I had a wonderful experience growing up in WV.  Maybe I just didn't frequently encounter racism or religious bigotry because I'm white and (then) was Christian, and therefore unaffected, but I really saw very little of it.

Unfortunately, I've seen more in recent years.  Maybe social media makes more visible that which was always there.

I agree that most people are not like this.  But there are always those few bad apples.

Enoch
2.1.9  Enoch  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.8    8 months ago

Dear Friend Sandy:

We enjoy the good one.

Try best to be there for the not so virtuous when they are ready to change.

Sustainable progress comes from inside out, not the other way around.

If they want and need me, I will be there for them.

P&AB.

Enoch.

MUVA
2.2  MUVA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    8 months ago

West Virginia is way less racist now what do feel bad about.

sandy-2021492
2.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  MUVA @2.2    8 months ago

I wish I could believe that it is, but I don't.

You go to Snowshoe, what, a few times a year?  I grew up there, and stay there with my parents fairly frequently.  I don't stay at a vacation resort, where I'm not sure you're getting an accurate representation of the state.  It's not the same as when I was growing up.  It's like some residents have become proud of their insularity, ignorance, and bigotry.  Not all of them, thank goodness, but certainly a very vocal portion, some of whom are in a position to influence policy (like the Clay County development director who called Michelle Obama an "ape in heels".)

MUVA
2.2.2  MUVA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.1    8 months ago

I remember 30 years ago going skiing and when we would stop at local stores in the mountains we would get looks and a few times asked what are you niggers doing here or niggers don’t ski.Now we get how are you and can I help you.

sandy-2021492
2.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  MUVA @2.2.2    8 months ago

I'm glad that's changed for you.

sandy-2021492
3  sandy-2021492    8 months ago

FWIW, I don't think all copies of the photo should be destroyed, and I don't think their faces should be blurred.  This photo is a character reference.  They were proud enough of their bigotry at the time, so they shouldn't be ashamed to have their faces associated with bigotry now.  If a future employer (because they damned well better be fired from this job) should happen to see it, so much the better.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    8 months ago

I totally agree with you Sandy. Let this ugliness come out from hiding. 

Ender
3.2  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    8 months ago

I was wondering why they blurred them all out. It would seem to be public record.

JohnRussell
4  seeder  JohnRussell    8 months ago

I think one could make an argument that it was all for fun and to pay tribute to their instructor, either sincerely or mockingly (maybe the instructor acted like a dictator). 

But that argument should be rejected. In our society the raised arm "salute" is associated with Nazism and the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis on millions of innocent people. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 months ago

You nailed this one John. 

There was a story from earlier in the week, that wasn't covered by our "left wing media" but the British and Israeli papers picked up. I was going to share it, but it was political in nature and I didn't want to get into that. But this kind of ugliness is coming out from the dark once again because it feels safe to do so. Let me share. 

YouTube   has removed video of a Florida pastor and radio host claiming the effort to impeach   Donald Trump   is a ‘Jew coup’ - but his channel remains online.

Rick Wiles   is known for his anti-semitic conspiracy theories and posted a video on his TruNews YouTube channel saying: “That’s the way the Jews work, they are deceivers, they plot, they lie, they do whatever they have to do to accomplish their political agenda.”

He went on to claim, in the November 21 video, that the country will devolve into a civil war if Mr Trump is impeached.

“We have until Christmas to take a stand because of this Jew coup in the United States,” he said.

“We have weeks to stop it. That’s why I’m speaking out. That’s why I’m putting everything on the line saying this is a coup led by Jews to overthrow the constitutionally elected president of the United States.”

The video has since been removed by YouTube, but the channel itself is still online.

YouTube has a three-strike policy which sees channels permanently removed when they receive three strikes in three months.

The Independent   has contacted YouTube to ask why the channel remains online​.

TruNews has had White House press credentials in the past, and Mr Trump took a question from it during a 2018 press conference.

Wiles previously said the organisation is invited to regular White House events but “we don’t go to all of them because we just don’t have the funding and the manpower to go to every single event that the White House invites us”.

To see the video go here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-impeachment-jew-coup-pastor-rick-wiles-youtube-video-a9228521.html

full video here:

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/there-will-be-a-purge-u-s-pastor-warns-of-jew-coup-to-impeach-trump-1.8192950

JohnRussell
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    8 months ago
YouTube   has removed video of a Florida pastor and radio host claiming the effort to impeach   Donald Trump   is a ‘Jew coup’ - but his channel remains online. Rick Wiles   is known for his anti-semitic conspiracy theories and posted a video on his TruNews YouTube channel saying: “That’s the way the Jews work, they are deceivers, they plot, they lie, they do whatever they have to do to accomplish their political agenda.”

I saw that article earlier this week.  It's disgraceful Trump gave this insane person a White House press credential, but what else is new? He gave a press credential to Gateway Pundit, one of the most disgraced sites on the internet. 

Tacos!
6  Tacos!    8 months ago

How is it any adult thinks this is ok?

sandy-2021492
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @6    8 months ago

Believe it or not, there are people defending this in the comments section on WV tv stations' Facebook pages.  "Innocent until proven guilty" - apparently, some folks don't know that applies to criminal trials.  "They saluted that way before Hitler".  Yeah, not anymore, thanks to Hitler, just like the swastika used to not represent fascism, but does now, thanks to Hitler.

JohnRussell
6.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    8 months ago

Well said. 

sandy-2021492
6.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    8 months ago

Thank you.

Tacos!
6.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    8 months ago
"Innocent until proven guilty"

I can respect innocent until proven guilty. At least that isn't a defense of the action. But you'd have to show it was photoshopped or they were doing it to make fun of nazis or something. I don't anticipate that being the case, though.

"They saluted that way before Hitler".  Yeah, not anymore, thanks to Hitler,

He also ruined a perfectly good mustache style and a first name.

04f39chaplin-468563.jpg

sandy-2021492
6.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.3    8 months ago

Can't agree about the mustache style.  He didn't ruin it.  It was already bad.

Paula Bartholomew
6.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.3    8 months ago

Chaplain created The Little Tramp in 1915.  Hitler began his rise in power in 1919.  I guess Hitler liked the look of it.

bbl-1
7  bbl-1    8 months ago

The Nazis are here.  America will have to deal with it. 

Thrawn 31
8  Thrawn 31    8 months ago

And Trump supporters love it.