╌>

Haley Blames Media For Making Charleston Massacre ‘About Racism’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  94 comments

Haley Blames Media For Making Charleston Massacre ‘About Racism’

Dylan Roof said : Segregation was not a bad thing. It was a defensive measure. Segregation did not exist to hold back negroes. It existed to protect us from them. And I mean that in multiple ways. Not only did it protect us from having to interact with them, and from being physically harmed by them, but it protected us from being brought down to their level. Integration has done nothing but bring Whites down to level of brute animals.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Nikki Haley, who formerly served as the South Carolina governor and then as the Trump administration U.N. ambassador, blamed “the national media” for making a white supremacist’s 2015 massacre of nine black churchgoers at a historic African American church “about racism.”

In an interview with Glenn Beck, Haley also said that the murderer, Dylann Roof, “hijacked” the supposedly virtuous nature of the Confederate battle flag.

“Here is this guy that comes out with his manifesto, holding the Confederate flag, and had just hijacked everything that people thought of,” she said.

“We don’t have hateful people in South Carolina. There’s always the small minority that’s always going to be there, but people saw it as service and sacrifice and heritage.”

Roof posed in online photos with the Confederate flag. After the massacre, bipartisan pressure and protest called for the flag to be removed from state capitol grounds. One of the nine people killed was the state senator Clementa C. Pinckney.

In response, Haley, then the state’s governor,  announced her support  for removing the flag. State legislators  passed a measure  to do so, and she  signed it .

“Once he did that,” Haley said of Roof’s attack, “there was no way to overcome it.”

“The national media came in in droves,” she continued. “They wanted to define what happened. They wanted to make this about racism, they wanted to make this about gun control, they wanted to make it about the death penalty.”

FhIl1_IT_normal.png

Jason Campbell @JasonSCampbell

Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was about "service, and sacrifice, and heritage" until Dylan Roof "hijacked" it

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

This should be the end of her presidential hopes for the future, although she may be assuming all the deplorables will jump on her bandwagon in 2024.  Dont see her being able to sweep the rust belt though. 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1    replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I agree with her and would vote for her. Obviously Roof is a piece of trash but what he said is no different than things I have heard black people say all the time. Look right here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/black-athletes-should-leave-white-colleges/596629/

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  @1.1    5 years ago

So you think that blacks and whites are equally guilty of promoting racism throughout American history? 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.2    replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago

I don't think calling for segregation is necessarily racist unless you plan to oppress the other group. There are studies that shows mixing communities is not always constructive.

https://archive.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/08/05/the_downside_of_diversity/

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  @1.1.2    5 years ago

NT rules prevent me from telling you what I think of that answer. 

Let's just say we still have a racism problem in America. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    5 years ago
Let's just say we still have a racism problem in America.

No kidding!  I guess some folks prefer to wear that particular hat proudly...even on this forum.   

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  @1.1.2    5 years ago
I don't think calling for segregation is necessarily racist unless you plan to oppress the other group.

I figured as much. After reading your comments for a while it was clear you harbored such disgusting sentiments.

The fact is, 'separate but equal' is a fantasy, you cannot "segregate" without harming the group you are segregating resources from. This very central fact was confirmed by the Supreme Court in Brown v Board and is a core principle within our American values. To proclaim segregating based on race isn't racist unless you plan to oppress those being segregated is beyond ignorant and just flat out spineless bigoted moronic drivel pushed primarily by wannabe Nazi's, wannabe confederates and white supremacists. That anyone here would be regurgitating such nonsense is very sad.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.8    replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.5    5 years ago

I provided studies for my reasoning. If you would like to debate instead of virtue signal I would love to hear an objective opinion based on facts and information.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.9    replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.7    5 years ago

If we are equal than separating us wouldn't matter. You seem to think taking whites away from blacks is some kind of punishment to them as if they couldn't live without us. That's inherent racism my liberal friend. 

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.10  lib50  replied to  @1.1.9    5 years ago

You must be too young to have lived through it.  Go study your history. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.11  Revillug  replied to  @1.1.2    5 years ago

From that article:

But a massive new study, based on detailed interviews of nearly 30,000 people across America, has concluded just the opposite. Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam -- famous for "Bowling Alone," his 2000 book on declining civic engagement -- has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings.

Nobody ever said all this stuff was going to be easy.

We are a nation of ideas and principles. For a long time one of the ideas that was explicitly given expression was white supremacy. That was upended in the 1960s and we are still dealing with the implications of that upending.

If you want to be part of the future be a part of solving the problems. Are the people around you starting to not look like you? Figure out how to engage them.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.13    replied to  lib50 @1.1.10    5 years ago

No I didn't grow up during the white guilt era. Since my birth, all races and genders have had equal opportunity. That's the problem with you libs, you need more current arguments. WW2 and Jim Crow have been over for a while. Catch up with the times

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  @1.1.2    5 years ago

Did you actually read the study? It's quite interesting and it branches across both liberal and conservative beliefs. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.15  Dulay  replied to  @1.1    5 years ago

Wow, did you even read the article that you linked. It's content and context is NOTHING like what Roof said. 

Talk about a false equivalency. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.16  Dulay  replied to  @1.1.2    5 years ago
There are studies that shows mixing communities is not always constructive.

Putnam’s brief contends that the 2007 paper has been “twisted” to make a case against race-conscious admissions, asserting that, on the contrary, his “extensive research and experience confirm the substantial benefits of diversity, including racial and ethnic diversity, to our society.”

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.17    replied to  Dulay @1.1.15    5 years ago

How are 2 people advocating for segregation a false equivalency? Just because the end game is different? That's just the difference values among communities. Some people want money, some people want to carry on their heritage

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.18  Dulay  replied to  @1.1.17    5 years ago
How are 2 people advocating for segregation a false equivalency?

Where does your linked article advocate for segregation? 

Seriously, it's utterly disingenuous to try to pretend that merely going to a HBCU is segregation of the type that Roof was talking about. 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.19    replied to  Dulay @1.1.18    5 years ago

Well both of them seem to see the benefit of working together as a racial group. You only seem to have a problem with one of them doing that. Imagine if all major universities decided to only accept white students since they were historically white?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.20  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  @1.1.19    5 years ago

Comments attempting to justify racial segregation are off topic on this seed.  Moderators please delete the flagged comments defending segregation. 

The topic is Nikki Haley saying that the national media wanted to make the Charleston killings racial. 

When Dylan Roof mentioned segregation he did so with no consideration for how it would affect blacks

" Integration has done nothing but bring Whites down to level of brute animals."

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.21  Dulay  replied to  @1.1.19    5 years ago
Well both of them seem to see the benefit of working together as a racial group.

Really? What in Roof's writings gave you the idea that he believed that? Please be specific. 

You only seem to have a problem with one of them doing that.

Where did I say I had a problem with anything? Projecting? 

Imagine if all major universities decided to only accept white students since they were historically white?

I don't have to imagine it, I've read a history book. The REASON that HBCU exist is because all major universities DID only accept white students. 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.22    replied to  Dulay @1.1.21    5 years ago

He seemed to think banning together as a racial group would make us safer. When you look at government crime statistics you will see that black males make up most violent crime and interracial rape, how is that not common sense? Again, most black students play at white universities because they want to make money. They don't care about America, or western ideology, it's just money. They don't care about their heritage. Why would they? It's all about how much money they can extort from the system. They don't ask what they can do for this country, but what this country can do for them. Kennedy would be ashamed......

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.23  Dulay  replied to  @1.1.22    5 years ago
He seemed to think banning together as a racial group would make us safer. When you look at government crime statistics you will see that black males make up most violent crime and interracial rape, how is that not common sense? Again, most black students play at white universities because they want to make money. They don't care about America, or western ideology, it's just money. They don't care about their heritage. Why would they? It's all about how much money they can extort from the system. They don't ask what they can do for this country, but what this country can do for them. Kennedy would be ashamed......

Wow, that's some of the most racist shit I've read by a member on NT. We are done. 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.24    replied to  Dulay @1.1.23    5 years ago

I'm ready to be proved wrong anytime you want. I'm waiting for any data

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  @1.1.24    5 years ago

There is no data that can prove this:

Again, most black students play at white universities because they want to make money. They don't care about America, or western ideology, it's just money. They don't care about their heritage. Why would they? It's all about how much money they can extort from the system. They don't ask what they can do for this country, but what this country can do for them.

These kinds of comments are nothing more than your personal opinions and are not welcomed here as they border on the very edge of our TOS. Please find another site where this kind of post is acceptable.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.26  lib50  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.25    5 years ago

I can't believe I'm reading that opinion on this site, to be honest.  Its appalling.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.27  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  @1.1.24    5 years ago
I'm ready to be proved wrong anytime you want.

The ideology you're defending has been proven wrong time and time again, it's pure racist bullshit. The only ones not accepting that fact are the worthless piece of shit white supremacists like Dylan Roof and those who continue to defend such blatant race based hatred and evil that can only be compared with that which created the gas chambers just over half a century ago. I'd be perfectly happy if all those who espouse such bigoted vile racist ideas go climb into an oven themselves and spare us all their worthless supremacist rhetoric.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.28  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  lib50 @1.1.26    5 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.29  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago
So you think that blacks and whites are equally guilty of promoting racism throughout American history? 

Both can have racist the same racist tendencies. Problem is the media likes to gloss over black racism.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.30  Kavika   replied to  @1.1.22    5 years ago

I thought I'd seen most everything posted on NT....But you take the cake jungkonservative. That was the most racist POS comment ever. 

Perhaps you should spend some time with your namesake, Jung....He'd have a field day psychoanalyzing you and your comment. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.31  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.1.29    5 years ago
Both can have racist the same racist tendencies. Problem is the media likes to gloss over black racism.

Whatever black racism that exists can almost entirely be described as a reaction to white racism. 

In the 1960's a black man named James Cone devised "black liberation theology"  which went along with what at the time was a movement to express "black power". (Black Liberation Theology eventually, decades later became associated with Rev Wright, the pastor of the church Obama occasionally went to.)  When you read about BLT , it does indeed seem racist against whites, and of course Wright was considered racist, and there is some reason to say so.  

But why did Cone and Wright verbally attack whites ?  They did so because of the way blacks had been treated in the United States for hundreds of years. 

I don't see any evidence of black racism that is not a counter reaction to white racism. That doesnt make it right, but it is much more explainable. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.32  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.31    5 years ago
Whatever black racism that exists can almost entirely be described as a reaction to white racism. 

You don't see evidence because you refuse to open your eyes to it.

My wife has been told several times to go back to the country she is from. How many times was it by whites? Zero

How many times was it told by blacks? Every single time.

That had nothing to do with reaction to whites. It is just pure racism from some blacks.

However, I don't disagree that some of that racism is reaction to some whites. Problem is some of these blacks take their racism out on whites who have never shown an inkling of being racist. They are targeted simply because they are white. Yes whites do the same.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.2  Revillug  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
Dont see her being able to sweep the rust belt though. 

Being a racist didn't hurt Trump.

One thing I learned from reading Hillbilly Elegy is that in addition to there being a black northern migration from the south during the 20th century there was a white migration as well. They migrated to the rust belt for the factory jobs. They are the Alabama that sits between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

NIkki Haley said that the media made the killing of the nine people in the black church about racism. 

No, the killer made it about racism, it is plain as day in his explanation for why he did it. 

I have no choice. I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me. Unfortunately at the time of writing I am in a great hurry and some of my best thoughts, actually many of them have been to be left out and lost forever. But I believe enough great White minds are out there already.

Dylan Roof wanted to instigate a race war. It is somewhat to Nikki Haley's credit that she took a stand against the confederate flag flying over the capital in the days and weeks after the killings. But she is pissing all that good will away with this interview. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.1  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
NIkki Haley said that the media made the killing of the nine people in the black church about racism. 

She said no such thing. Try reading her comment a few more times until you understand it.

“They wanted to define what happened. They wanted to make this about racism, they wanted to make this about gun control, they wanted to make it about the death penalty.”

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1    5 years ago

Who the hell do you think "they" is? 

The national media came in in droves, she continued.They wanted to define what happened. They wanted to make this about racism, .....

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    5 years ago
Please dont troll my seed. 

It's not trolling calling you out on your false propaganda from yet another of your left wing talking points websites.

Whats that you always ask? Is your left wing source allowed? I mean a source that is called talking points, who could make this shit up.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.4    5 years ago

[Removed

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.6  lib50  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.2    5 years ago

We can read her comment, but I'm wondering what you are reading. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.2    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
2.2  Revillug  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
the killer made it about racism

It's pretty clear.

I used to think maybe Nikki Haley was one of the sane ones but clearly she isn't.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

KInda of bizarre that she said it wasn't about racism...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

I assume she thinks there are conservative votes in her statement somewhere. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2  Ender  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

She is just bizarre. Defending the rebel flag while at the same time taking it down from the state house.

Textbook description of trying to have it both ways.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
KInda of bizarre that she said it wasn't about racism

She never said that. 

What I took from her comment was that the press was all to gleeful to rush down there and report on a story about racism, the confederate flag and gun control. If only Dylan roof would have used one of them so called "Assualt Weapons" it would have been even better for the press.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.3.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  KDMichigan @3.3    5 years ago
She never said that. 

“The national media came in in droves, They wanted to define what happened. They wanted to make this about racism."

You're right, she never said it "wasn't about racism", she merely stated it was her belief that it was the media who "wanted to make this about racism".

The only one who "wanted to make" that massacre about racism was Dylan Roof. The media simply reporting the facts is not to blame and her attempt to deflect is beyond ridiculous but par for the course for most Republicans.

“We don’t have hateful people in South Carolina. There’s always the small minority that’s always going to be there, but people saw it as service and sacrifice and heritage.”

Huh? You don't have hateful people in South Carolina, but there's a small minority that's always going to be there? Is she saying that the hateful people are the minority? She literally just said they don't exist. Or is it that as long as there is a "small minority" population in SC, some South Carolinians will always hate them?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.3.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.3.1    5 years ago
You're right, she never said it "wasn't about racism",

Glad you can admit that, Others are to persuaded by headlines and what some left wing site tells them to think.

Try reading what I said. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @3.3    5 years ago
The national media came in in droves,” she continued. “They wanted to define what happened. They wanted to make this about racism, they wanted to make this about gun control, they wanted to make it about the death penalty.”
So the media wanted to make it about racism...What in the world does she think the killing was about if it wasn't racism. Did she read what the killer said and wrote? 
Is she denying that it was racism? 
Perhaps she can explain her tap dance on the Confederate flag as well. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.3.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @3.3.3    5 years ago
So the media wanted to make it about racism

No. The press was glad to report on racism. 

Do you really think that Haley thinks Dylan wasn't a racist? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @3.3.4    5 years ago
No. The press was glad to report on racism. 

Dylan Roof went into a black church and killed nine black members of the church. Of course, the media would cover it. Were they glad to report on the killing and racism. I seriously doubt that any member of the media was glad to report on the killings. 

Do you really think that Haley thinks Dylan wasn't a racist? 

I would hope that she does think he is a racist but from the interview, it's difficult to determine what she really thinks. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.3.3    5 years ago
"Is she denying that it was racism?"

Was it reported that she did?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.7  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.6    5 years ago

Read her comments Buzz. I have no idea what she believes or doesn't believe. Her comment on the Confederate flag and her actions were totally opposite to one another. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @3.3.7    5 years ago

NIkki Haley is pandering to racists that she might need to vote for her one day.  I dont think she's racist herself. 

The "national media" didnt need to make the massacre about racism, the killer had already done that. So WHY did Haley bring up the media at all?  Because she knows her base likes to see the media attacked , and she thought she could imply that racism was mainly injected into the story by "outsiders" who were not from the south or from her state. 

This is so obvious I dont know why we have to constantly explain things like this to conservatives like we are in kindergarten. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @3.3.5    5 years ago
Were they glad to report on the killing and racism. I seriously doubt that any member of the media was glad to report on the killings. 

Excellent point Kavika. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.3.10  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.8    5 years ago
NIkki Haley is pandering to racists that she might need to vote for her one day.

Are you saying she is trying to solicit Democrat votes?

and she thought she could imply that racism was mainly injected into the story by 

She did no such thing.

like we are in kindergarten. 

Exactly you will believe any BS the left wing media feeds you. You prove that everyday.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @3.3.10    5 years ago
and she thought she could imply that racism was mainly injected into the story by 
She did no such thing.

Evidently her actual words mean nothing to you.  It is pointless to try and talk with people that deny reality. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.12  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.8    5 years ago
This is so obvious I dont know why we have to constantly explain things like this to conservatives like we are in kindergarten. 

Perhaps the Rude Pundit can make it clear:

12/06/2019 
Nikki Haley Said One of the Stupidest Fucking Things I've Heard a Politician Say in a Long Time 

Former South Carolina governor, former UN ambassador, and the hope of every Republican who believes their party is so much more than Trump ("See? A woman! And she's not white! We're not racist or sexist now!") Nikki Haley was talking to Glenn "Fooled you with that brief bout of sanity" Beck on his internet concern, The Blaze, about her decision to remove the Confederate flag from the grounds of the SC state capital. She did this in the wake of racist Dylann Roof's mass shooting of the members of the congregation of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, a traditionally black place of worship, in Charleston in 2015. Roof hoped to start a race war, as he said in his racist manifesto.

And Haley's response to Beck today is one of the stupidest fucking things I've heard a supposedly mainstream politician say in a long time. She said, "Here is this guy who comes out with this manifesto, holding the Confederate flag and had just hijacked everything that people had thought of [it]...People saw it as service and sacrifice and heritage. But once he did that, there was no way to overcome it."

Not once did Haley acknowledge that those who saw it as "service and sacrifice and heritage" are fucking wrong, that they are the very racist fuckholes who helped create someone like Dylann Roof. No, she's gotta kiss the asses of the racists in her party if she hopes to have any career as an elected official, whether in South Carolina or the nation, and so she's gonna go with this bullshit. She's gonna say with utter seriousness that the flag was just fine until Roof massacred a bunch of black people.

Haley wasn't done, though. She continued, "And the national media came in in droves—they wanted to define what happened. They wanted it to make this about racism. They wanted to make it about gun control. They wanted to make it about the death penalty." That's right. It wasn't the racist with a gun who made it about racism and guns. It was the media reporting that the racist with a gun was a fucking racist with a fucking gun. This blaming the media for every time a reporter calls out something for being fucked up is shameless. But that's Haley. It's always been Haley. It's how she could say, "We don't have hateful people in South Carolina" with a straight face. Anyone who displays a Confederate flag is, by definition, hateful. That's a fuck-ton of people in the state.

She talked about how she believes South Carolinians behaved after the shooting. She told Beck, "We didn't have protests. We had hugs." And that would be totally right if it weren't totally wrong. See, there were protests. In Charleston, there was a "March for Black Lives" three days after the shooting. In the capital, Columbia, there was a protest against the display of the Confederate flag on the same day. It's just a fuckin' lie to say that it was all hugs after the racist murder of 9 people.

Haley tried to defend herself on Twitter by saying she was proud of having had the flag removed from the grounds of the state capital. Despite the "national media" being the problem, she linked to a New York Times transcript of her speech calling for its removal. And even that speech was more about appeasing the racists. "The hate filled murderer who massacred our brothers and sisters in Charleston has a sick and twisted view of the flag," she said in 2015. "In no way does he reflect the people in our state who respect and, in many ways, revere it." The flag itself is sick and twisted. If you view it any other way, you are sick and twisted. It is a flag that represents racism and violence and traitors. If you "revere it," you are a violent, racist traitor or you don't have a problem with violent, racist traitors.

And, as I've said before, who gives a fuck if your family died fighting for the South in the Civil War and you want to honor them? Who gives a fuck? Your family was fighting to keep slavery legal. Your ancestors were wrong. They're assholes. Fuck 'em. (I grew up in the south. I know my people.)

Why call this one of the stupidest fucking things I've heard lately, especially on a day when Trump complained about how much some people have to flush a toilet? Is this being graded on a curve? Sure. Haley is allegedly part of the sane sect of the Republican Party, the intellectual center of it or some such shit. But what Haley's comments show is that the GOP cannot escape its racist heart. Without the racists assholes who elected Trump, there is no Republican Party. And we should be grateful that they're not even trying to hide that fact anymore.

The line from Dylann Roof to Donald Trump is not very long. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dulay @3.3.12    5 years ago
Without the racists assholes who elected Trump, there is no Republican Party. And we should be grateful that they're not even trying to hide that fact anymore.

Although it might seem a little excessive, its probably true, since Trump is now considered to be the Republican Party all by himself,  and he would not have won the election without the racist vote. 

As for the rest the Rude Pundit said,  I said sort of the same thing and i got trolled on this seed for my trouble. 

The Rude Pundit is not here, so he cant be trolled. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.14  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.13    5 years ago

Yes, IMHO, the Rude Pundit does cut through the crap and call out the BS. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4  Revillug    5 years ago

What next? She'll be telling us that the Klan hijacked the cross?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

[Removed

Revillug
Freshman Participates
6  Revillug    5 years ago

Sad thing is that I used to think she was one of the sane ones.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Did she use a phrase that the haters of conservatives were able to interpret as they needed in order to pounce on her?  Yes, perhaps she did.  I would still vote for her to be POTUS in a heartbeat if I were an American.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    5 years ago

I am an American and I’d be happy to support her running for President in 24.  I’d take anything Talking Points Memo says with a ton of salt rather than a grain of it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    5 years ago

I don't hate people for their political beliefs. It would be a waste of mental energy and most certainly a waste of time. Please get that through your head Buzz. 

Her statement, IMO, was bizarre and didn't make sense and her actions on the Confederate flag were playing both ends against the middle. 

It's as simple as that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @7.2    5 years ago

You're right.  "Hatred" is too extreme.  How about "Don't like"?  Saying "Get that through your head" is kind of an extreme expression to use between friends, isn't it?

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.1    5 years ago

It's making a point Buzz, I'm pretty sick and tired of members saying if you disagree with the administration you're a hater or have TDS...It's plain BS, IMO.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @7.2.2    5 years ago

(Original post self-deleted, because I had second thoughts about it.)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

When these incidents happen, a whole group of people or region of the country get implicated right along with the maniac and people are understandably defensive about it.

If we are talking about the rebel flag, there is a racial issue. However, I think both sides need to be more empathetic to the other. Many modern southerners clearly feel a kind of regional pride associated with the rebel flag and don’t think of it as racial. They have a right to those feelings. However, I think they should try to be sensitive to the fact that many people see it (reasonably, I think) as a symbol endorsing slavery.

Modern southerners did not enslave anyone or support Jim Crow and they should be more comfortable disassociating themselves from earlier generations that did. They are not responsible for the sins of their fathers so they don’t need to be defensive about it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago
Many modern southerners clearly feel a kind of regional pride associated with the rebel flag and don’t think of it as racial.

WHY?   Why should "the south" have "regional pride"  associated with the first codified white supremacist nation in world history?  The constitution of the Confederacy made it unconstitutional to end Negro slavery. 

What is all this about "southern pride?"   We never hear about "northern pride" or "western pride" or "eastern pride".  There is no necessity to romanticize this part of the country as having special qualities worthy of celebrating, yet we see it all the time. 

Or is "political correctness" to ask that the flag of a group of people  (the confederacy) who were willing to see countless tens of thousands of young men die ,in order to preserve the right to own other human beings , not be flown outside at public gatherings on United States of America territory?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    5 years ago
What is all this about "southern pride?"   We never hear about "northern pride" or "western pride" or "eastern pride". There is no necessity . . .

I have to say I feel like you don't actually want to know the answer, but just want to judge them. You ask the questions but then you answer them yourself. You're also making assumptions about the associations other people have, but it should be apparent to you that your associations are not their associations.

The need for pride can come from all sorts of directions. It's a very human need. In case you hadn't noticed, the South is full of humans, too.

The South is the only one that lost a war to the others. The South is the only one that has been continually punished for generations by the others. Don't get the idea that I am saying it is without reasons. But punishment still sucks and is still humbling whether it's deserved or not. 

The South is routinely mocked as being backward and stupid. That has an effect on people, too.

Resolving this problem is going to require people of good will on all sides to have open minds and generous hearts. You're not going to change things by being sanctimonious or angry.

lib50
Professor Silent
8.1.2  lib50  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.1    5 years ago

So you support the south being able to celebrate their pride at losing the civil war.  And this would obviously make you fine with muslim pride around the site of 9/11.  Celebrating their attempts to bring down the USA.  Am I right or am I right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @8.1.2    5 years ago
So you support the south being able to celebrate their pride at losing the civil war.  

That statement is asinine and completely misses the mark.

And this would obviously make you fine with muslim pride around the site of 9/11.  Celebrating their attempts to bring down the USA.  

Invalid assumption on your part.

Am I right or am I right?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. This isn't that time for you, however.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.1    5 years ago

I'm all for the south being proud of their region, although, as I said, we dont see displays of western, northern , or eastern "pride" in the way we see it proposed for the south. They evidently need to display the flag of a traitorous , white supremacist regime that they created at the end of 1860 and the beginning of 1861.  WTF? 

lib50
Professor Silent
8.1.5  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.3    5 years ago

We've heard so many asinine explanations as to why people defend monuments and symbols of lost wars that divided the country over hundreds of years.   Which one are are you referring to this time?

Will we have Japanese pride in Pearl Harbor?   How about a statue of bin Laden in NYC?   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @8.1.5    5 years ago
Will we have Japanese pride in Pearl Harbor?   How about a statue of bin Laden in NYC?    

You are freaking hilarious!

Do you actually believe that crap?

LMMFAO!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  lib50 @8.1.2    5 years ago

I’m assuming you’re trolling me because you can’t honestly believe that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.4    5 years ago

I already explained that and my explanation didn’t involve anything having to do with white supremacy. So either you’re just that intent on being angry and judgy or you didn’t understand what you read.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.8    5 years ago

You want to "explain" why we should approve of southerners holding on to the confederate flag like a security blanket. 

I'm not that interested in that line of reasoning. I'm not interested in punishing southerners either though. Why cant they express their regional pride some other way? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.10  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.9    5 years ago

Why should I have to explain a point of view I have not expressed? This is your own invention.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.10    5 years ago

You want Nikki Haley to be given credit for saying the confederate flag should come down,  AFTER someone waving it in a photo massacred 9 black people. 

If I am misrepresenting you then tell us why she should be given credit? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.11    5 years ago
If I am misrepresenting you then tell us why she should be given credit? 

Because the premise upon which all of this is based is the bullshit assertion that she is defending the flag. That’s why.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

This is where I would ask a member how many years they spent living in the great state of South Carolina and which region

and if the answer is zero, then I would ask them to refrain from "what if's" and what abouts....

There are basically three groups with three different attitudes.

Active & retired military.

The white descendants of northern carpetbaggers who have adopted the "we lost, but were right" attitude, and love that Battle Flag.

and the native black community like the Gullahs who would never see the Confederate flag as anything other than a symbol of slavery.

Modern southerners did not enslave anyone or support Jim Crow and they should be more comfortable disassociating themselves from earlier generations that did.

But by and large, they do not disassociate themselves.  They wrap themselves in the CSA battle flag and forget that they are descended from Northern states like Minnesota & Illinois, acting like they are losers because that is what they have been taught in grade school...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @8.2    5 years ago

Your post is confusing me.

This is where I would ask a member how many years they spent living in the great state of South Carolina and which region

On this site, all people are free to express opinions on all topics. I'm not one of those people who goes around demanding "have you ever lived there?" or "are you a doctor" or "are you a lawyer? etc. And I don't have a lot of patience for anyone who thinks they are going to be some kind of gatekeeper to the right to have an opinion. If that's you, don't expect a warm response.

refrain from "what if's" and what abouts

I honestly don't know what you are referring to. Are you sure you are replying to the right person? Because I have not said "what if" nor have I said "what about" and I don't think I have said anything that could be construed that way either.

they do not disassociate themselves.

Yes, that's a big part of the problem, in my opinion. It's not unique to the South either. There are plenty of white people in America who are allies of people of color, disassociating themselves from racist predecessors. Straight people ally with LGBT in the same way. All Americans are free to condemn the way Native Americans were treated in the past. Or the Japanese during WWII. Germans condemn nazis. It can be done. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.1    5 years ago

Tacos, I am one of those people who might well have asked someone who posts an opinion that is SO far off the mark about China if they have ever (never mind LIVED) BEEN there, and I don't think I'm some kind of gatekeeper if I have an opinion about THEIR ignorance.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.1    5 years ago

Sorry you took it the wrong way.

I was largely in agreement with #8

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @8.2.3    5 years ago

I had a feeling, so I actually was trying to hedge my rebellious side. I’d rather be peaceful if I can. Sorry if I got unnecessarily feisty.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.5  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.2.2    5 years ago

I think it’s fine for those of us with experience or training to draw on it, but I don’t think it’s fine to dismiss someone else’s opinion because they don’t have a certain degree or haven’t lived in a certain spot. I see that around here now and then. I’m not trying to point the finger at anyone in particular, though. Guess it’s becoming a pet peeve with me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.5    5 years ago

There are members here who have in fact visited China, even though they have not lived there, or had a close relative who did, and I have never seen a comment from them that was ridiculous, out of line or false.  The bullshit is virtually always spewed by those who only fall for propaganda and ultra-biased reporting, and I see nothing wrong with pointing out to them that if they had real experience instead of just believing garbage, they might actually learn the truth.  I don't criticize everyone, only those whose comments grate on me and require correction.

In other words, I don't see anything wrong with telling a person that if they saw with their own eyes what they falsely deem from what they may have read, they would see that what they had thought may well have been wrong.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Yeah, because the treasonous flag was a symbol of unity.

Does she realize that the people who created, and still wave that flag consider her to be subhuman and worthy of slavery at best?