Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  52 comments

By:   Ed Mazza Huffpost

Mitch McConnell Brags About Blocking Obama For 2 Years, Then Laughs About It

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Mitch McConnell Brags About Blocking Obama For 2 Years, Then Laughs About It

1b7bcfa0-ffe6-11e8-abbe-535ccd54ed26 December 13, 2019, 3:28 AM EST

Senate Majority Leader  Mitch McConnell  (R-Ky.) on Thursday night bragged about blocking President  Barack Obama ’s attempt to fill federal judicial vacancies for two years. Then, he laughed about it as he discussed the Republican Party’s effort to stack the courts with conservative judges under President  Donald Trump

“I was shocked that former President Obama left so many vacancies and didn’t try to fill those positions,” Fox News host  Sean Hannity  said to McConnell. 

Obama didn’t leave those vacancies so much as he was blocked from filling them by a GOP-controlled Senate led by McConnell ― something the majority leader was quick to point out. 

“I’ll tell you why,” he said. “I was in charge of what we did the last two years of the Obama administration.” 

Then, he laughed:  

“I will give you full credit for that, and by the way take a bow,” Hannity said. “All right, that was good line!” 

McConnell not only blocked federal judges, he prevented Obama’s Supreme Court nominee  Merrick Garland  from even getting a hearing. In 2018, McConnell told Kentucky Today that the decision to block Garland’s appointment was “ the most consequential decision I’ve made in my entire public career .”

Trump eventually filled that seat with Neil Gorsuch, one of his two Supreme Court appointees.

Trump has had an even bigger impact on the federal courts as a whole. As Vox reported,  more than a quarter of all active judges  on the courts of appeal are now Trump appointees. In fact, Trump has named nearly as many judges in his three years in office (48) as Obama did during his eight-year presidency (55).

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Fucking scumbag.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

He is the Republican version of Harry Reid. How many times did you call Harry a "fucking scumbag"?

What should really gall the left is that Republicans in the Senate are drubbing the Democrats with the very rules Democrats put in place to load the courts with leftist judges. Reid was warned going nuclear on judicial appointments was a moronic move. He didn't listen.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.1    replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    5 years ago

I was gonna say, pretty sure Harry Reid said something similar about cheating during the presidential elections:

“Well, they can call it whatever they want,” Reid said. “Romney didn’t win, did he?”

https://time.com/3765158/harry-reid-mitt-romney-no-taxes/

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    5 years ago

Agreed. I hate that congress has devolved to playing party politics over doing the business of the American people but it's nuts when one party changes the rules and then bitches about that change being used against them.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.2    5 years ago
'I hate that congress has devolved to playing party politics over doing the business of the American people'

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

What business of the American people is this 'president' and his administration and the gop doing other than for themselves and their wealthy benefactors?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.4    5 years ago

What business of the American people is this 'president' and his administration and the gop doing other than for themselves and their wealthy benefactors?

As usual you have provided NOTHING.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.4    5 years ago

Even with these supposedly wonderful developments Trump remains with the worst sustained approval ratings of any first term president in history. He is the only president since polling began 70 years ago to not reach 50% at any point in his first term. 

YOU like what he has done so you assume everyone should. Sorry, it doesnt work that way.

And the economy is likely no different than it would have been under Clinton. It was already improving under Obama. 

The idea that Trump worked some "miracle" is bizarre. The economy isnt that great to have required a miracle. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.7    5 years ago

Nope, you got nothing, as usual.  

You repeating the same shit over and over again doesn't make it true.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    5 years ago

7,000,000 new jobs, 3.5% unemployment, 3.1% wage increases concentrated toward those at the bottom 20%.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.9    5 years ago

Those are bogus stats HA.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1.13  katrix  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    5 years ago
He is the Republican version of Harry Reid. How many times did you call Harry a "fucking scumbag"?

Quite often.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.14  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    5 years ago

You tell us.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.15  Ronin2  replied to  katrix @1.1.13    5 years ago

Yeah, me too.

I am not a fan of the Democrats or Republicans; but I have been broken of my voting for whomever I feel is the best candidate regardless of party. I have been shown the error of my ways. From now on it is the "lesser of two evils". 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.16  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    5 years ago

Rather than get snarky with the emoji I request you go back and read what I actually wrote. I blame BOTH parties for this as BOTH parties advance party politics over doing the business they were elected to do. Congress seems to have forgotten that one needs to compromise in order to govern and create laws. Our leaders in Washington used to understand this and would work to come to an agreement that would best meet the needs of both sides and come up with some good laws and outcomes. But these days it appears that all they can do is lambast the other side and refuse to accept anything outside of total control.

The best thing I can say about this congress is that at least being as tied up as they are they pass fewer laws and don't mess with people's lives as much.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.17  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.4    5 years ago
Tax reductions.

Don't forget unprecedented tax increases through tariffs.  Reduced taxes for the wealthy through his tax cuts, increased them on the middle class through his tariffs.

Regulation reductions.

Yup, companies can now pollute with no fear of reprisal.

FANTASTIC employment improvements.

As long as you like minimum wage.

Fantastic unemployment numbers.

Yup.  Can you say thanks Obama?

Improving wages.

Care to list what Trump has done to cause this???  Trump who was opposed to a minimum wage.

Great consumer confidence numbers.

Not in him they aren't.

Pulled us out of the TPP.

And the Paris climate change accord.

Working to pull us out of NATO. 

Working to pull us out of 1st world country status and down to 3rd world.

Essentially tore up the Obama Iran Nuclear giveaway.

And thanks to him Iran will have gone nuclear in 2 - 3 years instead of 15.  Yay!!!

Pulled us from the Paris climate accord which would have burdened me and my kids financially for the benefit of other countries with limited if any positive benefit to America.

Because as long as we have money, we don't need a habitable planet?

Effectively destroyed the Obama JV Team aka ISIS.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Trump's pullout from Syria allowed ISIS to gain strength, intel agency reports

ISIS Reaps Gains of U.S. Pullout From Syria

There's more of course, but you're too involved with Trump haters to acknowledge the good that has been and will be done in his SECOND TERM when he's re-elected. 

Let's see, 2nd term.

• Outlaw windmills thus curing cancer.
  • Change laws allowing fathers to marry their daughters.
  • Outlaw all migrants, except from Norway.
  • Partner with Putin for an American cyber task force.

How's that for a start?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.18  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.16    5 years ago

I wasn't talking to you.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.19  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.17    5 years ago

Thanks for the actual facts and truth Ozz

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.21  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.20    5 years ago
You're paying more in taxes? 

So this is where you claim I said something different so you can pretend to win your point?

Maybe in your world but not mine.

85 Environmental Rules Being Rolled Back Under Trump

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTIONS ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK

11 ways the Trump administration has gutted environmental and public land protections

Working to strengthen NATO but demanding they pull their own financial weight.

Trump was embarrassed on the first day of the NATO summit, and it shows no one is bothering to take him seriously anymore

NATO Defense Funds Have Been Building for Years, but Trump Wants the Credit

Iran had no restrictions on them once the Obama give away ended and that was in a couple of years.

Iran has called Trump's bluff

Iran Is Getting Closer to a Nuclear Bomb, Thanks to Trump

Iran Takes Another Step To Enrich Uranium, In Another Blow To Nuclear Deal

Trump's Parting Gift: An Iran with Nuclear Weapons?

But why do we have to do everything and China and India to name a couple MIGHT do something years from now, if ever.

What a stupid question...   Because we DO want the world to be habitable in the future?

List of parties to the Paris Agreement

Both China and India are members...

Here's a hint.  ISIS formed under Obama

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

If you're just going to post a lie, especially such a well known lie, why do you even bother?

Trump’s False Obama-ISIS Link

Maybe you haven't been made aware of the increases in wages ACROSS THE BOARD.

How did you say that was caused by Trump?

Wow...   you have a vibrant but nonsensical imagination.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

😂😀🤣😁

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

So much for upholding the Constitution.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @1.3    5 years ago

If you're talking about Garland, there is no Constitutional requirement that they had to have hearings, and an up or down vote...

which would end up not confirming him anyway.

user image
Freshman Silent
2      5 years ago

Elections have consequences

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  @2    5 years ago

Yep, the gop's whooping in 18 lead to impeachment.

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.1    replied to  JBB @2.1    5 years ago

Trump is going to be your president in 2020 again because of this impeachment attempt. I have no doubts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @2.1    5 years ago

Pointless and idiotic impeachment, perhaps.

Removal from office....never.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

78818994_10221469257627659_6696164527714

Fuckabee and the gop are out of their fucking minds.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago

Triggered over another nothing burger. He admitted it was a tongue in cheek comment due to the fact that Mr. Trump hasn't had the time without harassment to do his job and therefore should get credit for that time.

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    5 years ago

Do his job?

When does he have the time for that what with his rallies and watching Faux 'news' and 5 hours of twitter a day?

Shitler?

Twitler?

Those are better names for the turd 'president'

What do you think?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.2    5 years ago

I'm curious.  Did you used to work for Blackwater?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    5 years ago

Hair Twittler

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

FUCK MOSCOW MITCH.  PUTIN'S LITTLE BITCH!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago

Let it all out Tessy. It's good therapy for ya.

Here's hoping that Trump will continue to pack the courts.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    5 years ago

She thinks EVERYBODY that does not think lockstep with her is a Putin bitch.......sad, really.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.3  bugsy  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    5 years ago

79290090_709688056222086_3814900105333440512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=gNjx9MtOZDEAQk5pE-1p93NU6nsrEVoqsT_nG1vUk5kvv7gXBX5qGq0uA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=5186433b7559831a3dace10d4d14135b&oe=5E77D332

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago

He seriously needs to be investigated, him and his wife.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago
“I was shocked that former President Obama left so many vacancies and didn’t try to fill those positions,” Fox News host  Sean Hannity  said to McConnell.  Obama didn’t leave those vacancies so much as he was blocked from filling them by a GOP-controlled Senate led by McConnell

That's sort of an incomplete account.

Obama did leave some vacancies without nominations to fill them, and that's not unusual. There's always a lot of vacancies and presidents don't fill them all right away. There's a bunch right now that Trump hasn't filled.

It's also not as if everything Obama did was blocked. About 3/4 of Obama's nominations were confirmed. Even when Republicans controlled the Senate, several of his nominations were confirmed. A few, whose nominations lapsed, were actually renominated by Trump.

Also, it seems a little late in the game to get offended by nominations being blocked. Several of President Bush's nominations were blocked by Democrats in the Senate. It goes around; it comes around.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I wasn't talking to you snuffy

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

80312637_2423443094574138_3836470345921986560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=nMmWeD9ExrAAQnvHaUrV1GQAJhDTg94aDjPSI-i3Q_QahXV45BI9lp8SQ&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=41eca84aea90718d07d975c725eeacf1&oe=5E65E060