Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   AP

Trump takes swipe at late Michigan lawmaker, upsetting

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Associated Press

Trump takes swipe at late Michigan lawmaker, upsetting widow

f7f4c7f0-0259-11e9-bfeb-842a32a6c67d December 18, 2019, 11:28 PM EST

04125de446d55d1b66c6989e2531380f

Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Mich, speaks to reporters on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2019. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (AP) — President Donald Trump took a swipe at the late Rep. John Dingell during his raucous impeachment-day rally on Wednesday, drawing a quick rebuke from the longtime Michigan congressman's widow and successor in the House.

Trump told the Battle Creek rally that Debbie Dingell had thanked him profusely for providing “A-plus treatment” after her husband's death in February, including ordering flags flown at half-staff.

He quoted her as saying, “Thank you so much. John would be so thrilled. He's looking down.”

Then he added: "I said, 'That's OK. Don't worry about it.' Maybe he's looking up. I don't know."

The remark drew wary oohs and aahs from the crowd in Michigan, where John Dingell was a powerful advocate for the state he represented for more than 59 years. The comment came shortly after Debbie Dingell voted in favor of two articles of impeachment against the president.

Trump then offered: “But let's assume he's looking down.”

Debbie Dingell tweeted her response, telling Trump: “Mr. President, let’s set politics aside. My husband earned all his accolades after a lifetime of service. I’m preparing for the first holiday season without the man I love. You brought me down in a way you can never imagine and your hurtful words just made my healing much harder.”

John Dingell was the longest-serving member of Congress in U.S. history.

His widow wasn't the only one upset by the president's comment.

Republican congressman Fred Upton of Michigan, who voted against impeaching Trump, tweeted: “I’ve always looked up to John Dingell - my good friend and a great Michigan legend. There was no need to 'dis' him in a crass political way. Most unfortunate and an apology is due.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

He quoted her as saying, “Thank you so much. John would be so thrilled. He's looking down.”

Then he added: "I said, 'That's OK. Don't worry about it.' Maybe he's looking up. I don't know."

The remark drew wary oohs and aahs from the crowd in Michigan, where John Dingell was a powerful advocate for the state he represented for more than 59 years. The comment came shortly after Debbie Dingell voted in favor of two articles of impeachment against the president.

Trump then offered: “But let's assume he's looking down.”

Debbie Dingell tweeted her response, telling Trump: “Mr. President, let’s set politics aside. My husband earned all his accolades after a lifetime of service. I’m preparing for the first holiday season without the man I love. You brought me down in a way you can never imagine and your hurtful words just made my healing much harder.”

John Dingell was the longest-serving member of Congress in U.S. history.

His widow wasn't the only one upset by the president's comment.

Republican congressman Fred Upton of Michigan, who voted against impeaching Trump, tweeted: “I’ve always looked up to John Dingell - my good friend and a great Michigan legend. There was no need to 'dis' him in a crass political way. Most unfortunate and an apology is due.”

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

Not surprising. trmp never thinks before he speaks

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    5 years ago
Not surprising. trmp never thinks before he speaks

Not surprising. trmp never thinks.

Fixed it for you....jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.1    5 years ago

<slapping my head>

What WAS I thinking????

Thankz, Ozz

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    5 years ago

giphy.gif

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    5 years ago

Trump Is Certified 100% Charm Free!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

But he is a roll of Charmin!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

The same Congressman who told Trump to go to hell and Democrats never complained......

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    5 years ago

Your 'president' is such a whiny pussy ass bitch.  

Why would we complain that he told this 'president' to go to hell?

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    5 years ago

The point is if the left can't take it, they should not try and dish it out to someone who sure as hell is not going to lay down and take it.

As much as it may not have been the right thing to do, he had the right to do it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

'The left knows no class or respect.'

Respect is earned.  This shitstain has done nothing to earn anyone's respect.  

The deplorables and their projection is never ending.  

The shitstain in chief and the whore he brought from a Slovenian brothel are just dripping with class.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Don't be silly Sam, you know I was quoting you.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7  Snuffy    5 years ago

It was a dumb attempt at a joke. He shouldn't have said it, it was just dumb. It's one of those inside jokes that work if your audience is 100% with you like your closest friends,  but in public it was just a dumb thing to say and he shouldn't have said it.